Cover Image: Red Dress: A Novel

Red Dress: A Novel

A well-written fictional book with many life lessons interwoven. I found I related to so much of Katy's story. Many ah-ha moments and some interesting new perspectives. This book is for anyone who is intrigued about their life and how to make positive changes. It's witty, honest and relatable. Totally loved it!
Unfortunately, I did not finish this book. I found the characters to be a little bland, and quickly discovered this wasn't for me.
A feeling of disatisfied regret but not sure about what exactly. Katy turns back to her mentor to get to the root of the issue whilst exploring a spiritual path.
A name change, old boyfriend contacting her sends her world in to chaos. Which path will Katy choose?
I wanted to start by thanking the author for the ARC of this book. I wanted to start off with the things I liked about this book. Overall, the book focused on personal growth for the main character and shows the hardships working mothers often face. The book continues with Katy's personal development and also takes on a spiritual element.
Moving on, I was unable to connect with any of the characters in this book and if I am being honest, I'm not even sure I liked any of the protagonists. Richard was unbelievably misogynistic which made it really hard for me to read this book. I do think that while this book wasn't the right fit for me, it might just be the perfect book for someone else.
Katy is a career mum in her 40s who's stressed out, time-starved, and disenchanted with her successful life. She has a handsome husband, a house in London, and two teenage children. Her therapy practice in Harley Street is thriving, but she feels empty and lost. She's forgotten who she is and what makes her tick. An impulsive decision sets in motion a domino effect that changes her life. A series of events, a meeting with someone from the past, and a sequence of numbers, send her on a rollercoaster ride to finding herself. With some trepidation, Katy embarks on a path of spiritual awakening and embraces a new way of thinking.

This is not something I read everyday! But I enjoyed this story very much.
A wonderful and very nicely written story about woman feeling trapped by responsibility, while hoping for freedom from a bad marriage.
I really wanted to like this book, but I couldn’t connect with the characters or writing style. That doesn’t mean it’s not a good book, of course—everyone has different tastes so if the description appeals to you, give it a go.
Katy is in her 40s and has it all, a good husband, loving kids and a successful career. But she finds a little to no time for herself. This book walks Katy's journey, finding herself, her purpose for life and her higher self. The plot deals with the spiritual development and motivation. The self evaluation and the purpose of life.
I liked reading it. Thank you Netgalley and the publisher for the ebook in exchange of an honest review.
Red Dress by Bridget Finklaire tells the story of Katy, a 40 something mum on overload, who journeys on a spiritual awakening. I really enjoyed Finklaire's writing style. It's refreshing and added depth, dimension, and texture to the scenes and characters. However, I didn't find any of the characters particularly likeable. While Katy's discontent is relatable, Katy's husband, Richard, was loathsome. Unpleasant, unsympathetic, and generally uncaring. It was no wonder Katy was disenchanted with her marriage. However, it was difficult to connect with her spiritual journey. It was not my cup of tea, especially The Voice. The book "jumped the shark" for me there. In the end, I found myself really not caring how any of it ended up.
Thank you to NetGalley, the publisher, and the author for an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.
I really tried to get into this book but it just wasn't my cup of tea. I'm sure, however, that other people will find it more enjoyable!
The book was promising, however, let me down a bit when it got way too in depth about spirituality. Still enjoyable though.
Red dress tells the story of Kathy - A therapist, wife and mother feeling so overwhelmed and dissatisfied with her life so she goes on a spiritual journey to discover herself whilst connecting with an old flame.
I thoroughly enjoyed this book especially Kathy's growth and i will say i learnt a lot from this book
I would totally totally recommend this book for anyone
This is story of woman who had it all, husband, kids, career where she is her own boss, but yet she keeps searching for her purpose, path and way to connect with her higher self. It is a memorable story of self evaluation and I liked all the spiritual, psychological lessons the writer was able to weave into the story.
Thank you to NetGalley for providing a digital copy of this book in exchange for my honest review. On the exterior, Katy appears to have it all - married for a decade to a handsome husband, two children, nice home and a successful career in therapy. On the inside, she's crumbling. She's spread too thin with a busy practice, no help from her husband or children at home and limited time for herself. Thus, she seeks help through therapy from a colleague that ultimately leads her on a spiritual journey.
I was only able to get through 31% before deciding to put it down – and I had high hopes for this book! From my summary, you can almost predict the story and assume it would be an easy read with a positive outcome. However, a big part of the writing is around spirituality with various entities and interpretations of this. The author's background is in psychotherapy, hypnotherapy and healing and that definitely shines through. Don't get me wrong, I'm a spiritual person but this is a big part of the book and the topic of spirituality is individual and may not be well received by others.
This book was a really fun and enjoyable read. The characters were relatable and had great depth. I definitely recommend it and will be ordering copies for my library.
Thank you to Netgalley and the author for providing me an ARC of this book in return for an honest review.

- mild spoilers below -

From the beginning, this book was not right for me however I’ll begin with the positive aspects of this book before moving on to the negatives.

The chapter lengths and writing style of this book make it enjoyable and an easy read, I managed to finish it in just under 3 days despite not necessarily enjoying it at all. The book flows easily and I personally found it easy to tell between the different POVs and enjoyed the different point of views instead of it being from the main protagonist. That’s where my enjoyment ended.

Red Dress looked like a comfort self-help book with the cover instantly making me interested since it alongside the description seemed motivational and something lighthearted to read that wouldn’t be depressing. I was /extremely/ wrong, this is why people say not to judge a book by its cover.

/All/ of the protagonists were insufferable, with very little redeeming points and although that might be preferable for some, it doesn’t work for me. Katy, the female protagonist came off as a higher class, irritating ‘cool’ mom who feels oppressed because her relationship with her husband has fallen apart and turns to soul searching and therapy to find what she’s supposed to do. The husband Richard, is a stereotypical businessman with a misogynistic outlook that he’s the master of the house and needs attention from his wife. And finally, Tony, the blast from the past who is barely fleshed out and his entire arc felt like some badly paced action movie.

The characters aren’t /terrible/ but the pacing of Red Dress doesn’t do them justice, all of them seem to be constantly whining about things not going right in their life and then expecting them to magically mend themselves. Most of the plot could have been solved if Katy and Richard just tried to actually talk without expecting each other to start.

However, one of the major downfalls of this book is the dialogue. It is so awkward and downright awful at times, it made me consider whether the author has actually had a conversation with a teenager or child or other people at all. It was fine at the beginning, but as the novel progressed it just became even more awkward if possible and despite having so much interest in thought processes and fate, none of this was conveyed through the dialogue: everything felt robotic and fake.

Finally, another one of my pet peeves with this book was the use of terminology as well as putting too much with too little explanation, there was so much obvious extensive research about self-help and the Aura-Soma practices etc yet not much of it was explained clearly so that non-experts could enjoy it as well. Luckily, I already had some knowledge about soul searching topics but for others, it could become really confusing.

Although the book is an easy read, the fast pace of the novel as well as the awkwardness of the dialogue and the bad characterisation makes it really hard to enjoy however, this makes it a little humorous which adds to the experience.
*ARC provided by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.*

This book initially was captivating to me. But later on, sadly, that's really not my type of book

Katy is a career mum in her 40s who’s stressed out, time-starved, and disenchanted with her successful life. She has a handsome husband, a house in London, and two teenage children. Her therapy practice in Harley Street is thriving, but she feels empty and lost. She’s forgotten who she is and what makes her tick. An impulsive decision sets in motion a domino effect that changes her life. A series of events, a meeting with someone from the past, and a sequence of numbers send her on a rollercoaster ride to finding herself. With some trepidation, Katy embarks on a path of spiritual awakening and embraces a new way of thinking.

Sections that were jumping between Richard and Katy were confusing as there wasn't a definite gap between the scene changes and I was left having to re-read to work out where I was. Also, what's up with those mirror things?
The blurb and the cover had me really wanting to read this book but I’ll admit I was left feeling disappointed. There is a lot of heavy spiritual talk that I found really hard to follow and uninteresting, to the point I was skim reading these parts. Katy, the main character is likeable, but her story isn’t finished. Is her husband having an affair? Does she find out? Does she leave her husband for Tony? Do they end up together. Who knows because the story abruptly ended with no conclusions whatsoever. I feel really disappointed that I read it to get nowhere. I have given 2 stars because, heavy spritualism aside, the storyline was good but it I was wonder what the point in reading it is if there is no ending? Won’t be recommending.
This was a book about how you can find your way mid-life if you are falling. I was initially attracted to it by the cover-which was warm, friendly and inviting. I immediately related to Katy, the lead character, mid-life, children growing up, always stretched in a million directions. I enjoyed learning about her and Richard's relationship-and it was very realistic as she described how it crumbled. Terrific insight into how affairs develop. For both Katy and Richard. I am not a Health, Mind & Body category follower, so the bits about her connecting with the voice which was the mirror, the number philosophy and communication with Shanti did not hold my interest. I had a feeling the balding man was going to be Tony-and I enjoyed his character and feel that Katy and Tony may have a chance. The funniest line in the whole book was when he said he did not recognize her because of her hair and she thought same! (due to his baldness.) I thought that the book had a terrific story line, and flew through the last 30% of the book-which held my interest intently. As an American, I always enjoy books by the English, too. Nice job!
This book is readable, but a little trite and artificial. I feel like it’s a ‘Seth book’, you know, a higher power talking to you directly, we’re all connected, follow your dreams etc etc. it will certainly be someone’s cup of tea but just not for me.
The main character has the perfect life on the surface- attractive successful husband, 2 kids and successful therapy practice. In reality, she is very unfulfilled in a marriage with no communication or understanding g. She tries a number of new wave therapies to improve her life.