Cover Image: The League of Picky Eaters

The League of Picky Eaters

I received an electronic ARC from Clarion Books through NetGalley.
An intriguing way to capture the cliques culture of the middle school years. In Muffeletta, students are placed based on how willing they are to try a wide variety of foods. Each class grouping has its own acronym and they are hilarious in connection to the overall theme. The more picky an eater is, the lower they are placed at the St. Julia Child School. Minerva is a rather picky eater and is placed in the lowest category (RETCH) for her seventh grade year. She's devastated at first as her two friends are in the top group, but, as so often happens, she learns they are not necessarily her friends after all. She makes new friends in her classes and comes to accept her unique abilities and strengths. The group she connects with learn about each other and find ways to support and build each other up. Readers see them grow and develop their own passions beyond food.
Lucianovic has a light touch with plenty of humor with serious undertones. Middle grade readers will appreciate the food and eating humor and will recognize themselves in characters though their group divisions may not be so clearly outlined with picky eating.
I really liked this book and am going to be ordering it for my library.  As a picky eater myself I related to the characters.
Such a comical book! First time to read anything by this author but will definitely be looking for more by her! Can't recommend this book enough!!
This was a fun book. The concept of a society where gourmet eating is the most valued skill provided many great plays on words (like Sacred Artichoke Heart School) and set up some great challenges/obstacles. I loved the family relationships and friendships in the book and the way the main character grew in confidence and self-esteem. Picky eaters everywhere will be able to relate and enjoy the read.
A fun read where students are given Eating placement tests to determine what class they will be in. Minerva struggles with eating and doesn’t want to try new things. In the beginning of 6th grade she is placed in the Remedial Eating class, RETCH. Her friends are not in her class. As time goes on, she makes friends in her new class and realizes her old friends were not nice to her. Minerva discovers a secret shield on a note one day in her book bag,and it changes everything for her. She finds she can be a picky eater and still be good at things like standing up for herself and her friends.
I read this in one night and immediately re-arranged our Bookish Society Schedule so that we could fit in into this Fall. The author had me at RETCH Class. I too could have used a remedial eating course! I'm still a no sauce girl who loves chicken strips as an adult, so maybe I would still be the target audience here.  :)
There were many things I enjoyed about the book, but there was a great deal I did not care for. Even books I don't enjoy I can usually think of a reader in my classroom that may enjoy it. It was difficult to get on board with the world of this book. The school being so strict about food and punishing kids for not trying ridiculously acquired tastes like foie gras or liver. I find it hard to believe that any middle schoolers would be in anything but retch. There would be 1000s of them.
I liked Minerva's transformation to standing up for herself, but I think kids would see the clam thing from miles away. It pulls you out of the text each time things don't make sense.
I myself am a picky eater and had trouble getting past the first few pages of the book "The League of Picky Eaters" by Stephanie V W Lucianovic.  These pages are incredibly descriptive about messy food items.  The author brings a vivid picture through her words.  I do feel that children in that gross-out phase of development may really like this book; but myself, no longer a kid, I couldn't read enough of it to tell you what's on the pages.  I will recommend it to those kiddos who want something unusual to dive into.  There are a lot of books on the shelves that I'd never read myself.  The world is full of unique individual viewpoints.  It's part of what makes us interesting as a community.

Thank you to NetGalley for the ARC.
Picky Eaters of the world (and parents of picky eaters) - there is a book on its way to a bookstore or library near you that speaks to your heart.   School can feel like a pressure cooker sometimes with the drive to be in the highest reading group or the advanced math class.  Often, these classes become value judgements about the kids in them, leaving kids who aren't ready for them feeling like they aren't good enough.  This is a story where the kids push back.  As a parent of a picky eater and a kid with anxiety, I saw a lot of story threads that connected to fears and challenges my own child has faced.  I think kids who struggle with these things will love finding themselves in this book.  I think it would make a great family read aloud!
I thought this was a very original concept and that it will appeal to the middle grade reader who prefers humorous stories.
This was a cute and unique book with a good message encouraging weirdness and being different.  I loved the message about being yourself.  Great friendships in this book.  I would totally be friends with the LOPE group.  I feel like certain elementary students will enjoy this and am likely to purchase for my library.
I wish this book had been around when I was a kid. It would have saved me a lot of grief.  There are so many different topics to explore in this book, it would make a wonderful book to teach in a middle grade class. There's something for everyone in it.
Thanks Netgalley.
This one is just not for me. It was a bit jumbled at the start for my taste. I know some 3rd grade boys who will love it and I will recommend, but it's not one I am excited about.
Lucianovic does a great job of engaging a common issue for parents and their children deemed "picky eaters." In an era where home-ec classes are unheard of, this is a great introduction for middle grade readers, perhaps even a future gourmand about people such as Julia Child, while engaging them with a funny book where the reader can laugh about their eating habits and see what they value in a friendship as Minerva does when she is assigned to a remedial food class and her two best friends are assigned to "gifted and gourmet" class.

***Thank you NetGalley for providing me with access to this e-preview. This review is based on an ARC.***
As the mother of a picky eater, who I suspect might be a supertaster, I really connected with The League of Picky Eaters by Stephanie V.W. Lucianovic and I think many kids will too.  Minerva is a picky eater who lives in a town that reveres Eating (yes, with a capital E) so much that it even studies it in school.  There are 3 Eating tracks--GAG (Gifted and Gourmet), BARF (Becoming A Real Foodie), and RETCH ( Remedial Eating to Change Habits), which is what Minerva ends up in.  When Minerva's best friends are placed into the GAG program they begin shunning and bullying her.  Minerva finds new friends among her weird and wonderful RETCH classmates.

This story is full of humor and wit!  I loved the wacky immersion therapy lessons the RETCH students were required to go through. They were laugh out loud hysterical.   The book also has some pretty good life lessons such as being weird is wonderful, and the importance of trying new things!   All in all, I loved this book!