Cover Image: The Guilt Trip

The Guilt Trip

Thank you to Netgalley, the publishing house and the author for the opportunity to read a copy of this book in return for a review based upon my honest opinion.

This was an okay weekend read, a bit of a thriller, with a somewhat not so surprising ending.  The book started out really well, but it felt like i was always waiting for something to happen and then when it did, it wasn't that exciting.  I liked how the story was told but felt it should have been more of a short story or novella.  Most of the characters were quite unlikeable, which for most of them worked in their favour.  I wanted so much more for this book.  I would definitely check the author out again.
Six friends go on a trip, they come back as suspects.  Secrets are exposed and relationships begin to unravel.  Will they remain together, or will everything change?
This story is about entitled young people who are consumed by gossip. The whining is in every scene and the characters are able to turn on emotions with a remote control. The dynamics between the couples is odd and not believable. Clearly, this is for a younger audience, who may be fans of dating sites / programs.
I love Sandie Jones but this one was not my favorite. I just felt like it was lacking something. I still enjoyed it but definitely not as much as her other books. Her writing is superb. This story was just not what I was hoping for.
What a fun, delicious, twisty ride with the latest novel by Sandie Jones-The Guilt Trip!  Six friends/family travel to Portugual for a 4 day wedding event and return as suspects. Jack's brother Will is marrying the provacatively dressed, outgoing Ali and as his best man Jack and his wife Rachel have to attend the wedding-even if Jack can't stand to be in the same room as Ali.  Paige and Noah, best friends of Rachel and Jack, are also invited and Paige has a hard time keeping her true feelings about Ali a secret. Ali comes off ditzy, brash and man-hungry. But secrets are divulged, suspicions raised and twists abound-all while heading to an event no one will see coming. This fast-paced psychological mystery will thrill fans of Jones, Ruth Ware, and Sally Hepworth. Pick this one up!

Thank you to the publisher and NetGalley for this ARC in exchange for my honest feedback.
I didn’t love this as much as her previous books but I did enjoy it, I wouldn’t put it at the top of your TBR but I would add it to the list.
DNR. Computer broke down with Kindle app and couldn’t recover nor download again. My apologies. I would have liked to have read this.
Forgettable story with too many characters. The guest list told the same
Story in a better way. Began by jumping in right away and switching between 6 different characters, it took a while to figure out who was married to who and who was in love with whom. Overall it was a disappointing novel with unlikable characters
Rach is married to Jack…Noah is married to Paige. Ali is marrying Will, who is Jacks brother.
But, Rach was once in love with Noah before Jack came along. Noah still loves her. But Jack is having an affair with Ali? Or Paige? Or no one?
They are all going to the wedding in Portugal for Will and Ali.

And yes, that is the style this book is written in. If you like soap operas…this is probably your kind of book. It is like reading a constant conversation in Rachaels head….not a good thing.
Although I thank the NetGalley for the opportunity, this book should have never made it out of the slush pile.
Another terrific book by this author. She knows how to play with readers' cultural expectations -- the interfering mother-in-law, the bridezilla--and use those to lead the reader in the wrong direction. While I figured out her intentions and spotted the real villain, that didn't keep me from completely enjoying the book.
Overall this book was an enjoyable, eas ready that had so much tension you could feel it, but the action didn't really kick off until the second half.

This book got off to a semi-slow start and ended with a BANG. It’s a domestic thriller that puts you in the head of Rachel who has her world flipped upside down. While she tries to keep her cool while her mind races with worst case scenarios, it’s a huge tension building book that had me flipping through the pages dying for answers. It does get a bit repetitive in the middle - Rachel is stuck in the cycle of disbelief to utter rage to fear that her own secrets will surface.

And secrets do seem to be bursting at the seams of this celebratory weekend. But she has no idea what is really going on and as the readers we know something is not quite right, but can you put a finger on it? I have to say I did guess pretty early on, but enjoyed the suspenseful way the story was rolled out.  The biggest downside for me was the slow pace and the repetitive middle, while the ending was almost too fast and chaotic and I had to read some parts multiple times to really sink in. But then it has you questioning everything you'd read previously, so a really good twisty feeling.
And can I just say that I can now fully appreciate how this moody cover matches the story inside.

If you’re in a thriller mood like me this summer and love unreliable characters and suspense in a beautiful but dangerous setting, this could be the one for you!
I really loved this book! I found the characters relatable and the storyline well written. I loved that I wasn’t able to guess anything in this book and the suspense just kept coming. Sandie Jones always writes a good story and this was no different.
I absolutely loved The Guilt Trip. I could not put it down! I am a fan of Sandie Jones's writing style and this was well done. I highly recommend it!
Let's just start with WOW! This was yet another page-turner from the fabulous Sandie Jones.  6 characters head to Portugal for a destination wedding.  While Ali is set up to that annoying younger sister-type character, I LOVED her.  I felt like almost every page had lies, betrayal, and kept me guessing what was going to happen. Overall, Jones rocked it with her newest psychological thriller. Thank you to everyone for this advanced copy! (NetGalley, the author, and the publisher!)
This is another example of "I was afraid to read it because of the hype." And while I wasn't totally pleased, I wasn't completely let down, either. I am all for unlikeable characters (if done well), but I feel like they weren't fleshed out enough here.
Thank you Netgalley and the publishers for granting me an ARC of The Guilt Trip by Sandie Jones in exchange for my honest review.

This is my second Jones book (The First Mistake) and I enjoyed it. It was a domestic suspense novel about a group of 3 couples who are connected in several ways. They travel for a wedding of one of the couples and things start to unravel. We are taken though the journey of figuring out what happened and the truth explodes. It was pretty predictable but not in a bad way at all. I would compare Jones to authors such as BA Paris and Mary Kubica.
Very interesting story with a number of twists and turns so that it takes almost the whole book to figure out who are the good guys and who are the bad guys.  I would definitely recommend this book to someone who is looking for a good mystery story that will definitely hold your atention.
While the plot isn't entirely unique (an overly extravagant wedding gone wrong) it is the type of story that still always piques my interest.
All of the characters have things to feel guilty over. All of their moral compasses are off and none of them are very nice to each other despite being "friends" who are SO entangled in each other's lives, At first I kept confusing who was who, and who was with who. Probably because they are all backstabbing each other, sleeping with each other, and lying to each other. At times their relationships felt a bit overcomplicated.
I enjoyed the red herrings that kept throwing me off the scent of what was going to happen. A lot of this book is emotional buildup and character focused (which is why I wish I liked the characters more). You slowly feel them all on the verge of an explosion. This leads to a very intense last 90% of the book.
While the twist was pretty good and fast paced, it wasn't entirely shocking. If you're into that friend drama/whodunnit mystery combo then this will be a quick read for you.
Thank you to NetGalley and Minotaur Books for my review copy for my honest opinion.

I found this book completely lacking. The story line was bland for me. The characters were annoying and self absorbed. A lot of the issues could have been avoided if they would just have communicated. It felt like a high school drama.
The Guilt Trip by Sandie Jones has a bunch of surprising plot twists that make this a great read. The action jumps on the page and kept me interested. Highly recommend and thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for an advance copy.