Cover Image: Right Behind Her

Right Behind Her

This is another thrilling, suspenseful story in the Bree Taggert series. When the skeletal remains of two bodies turn up at Bree’s old family home, it forces her to reopen the scars left from her past and leads her team into a gripping hunt for a killer. This is a well written story, that keeps you captivated, has plenty of emotion and suspense, and presents an intriguing puzzle to solve. I love the character development in this book; Bree faces her childhood traumas, gains insight on her brother, realizes the strength of emotions she feels for her niece and nephew, and allows her slow burn relationship with Matt Flynn to heat up. A really enjoyable story to read. I received an early copy of this book from Montlake Romance via NetGalley with no obligation to review. This in no way influenced my review and all opinions expressed are solely my own.
A book about a cop at a time when police behaviour (and misbehaviour) is being heavily criticized is nonsense in itself. But adding to that is the fact that Bree and her cohort of ‘good-guy cops’ are barely distinguishable from the bad cops. They have the exact same attitude towards people they arrest, it’s just that one side hides behind the paper shield of protocol to claim that they’re not doing anything wrong.

Plus this is a blindingly white book where the only significant non-white person (Dana) is busy raising Bree's nephew and niece for her as if she has nothing better to do in life. Why? Why would this be considered normal? Why is Dana being given Mammy vibes for Books 2 through 4?!

What Bree also shares with the rest of her squad (and Matt!) is proficiency in casual sexism. She has that whole ‘one of the guys’ thing going to act tough in a man’s world, and also goes out of her way to think about how much she appreciates chivalrous gestures like having the door opened for her. Very unique not-like-other-girls vibe she has going there.

Right Behind Her was all over the place. It set out to tell a deeply emotional story that connects back to Bree’s past in the way Cross Her Heart did, I suppose. Unfortunately, overstating things is a hallmark of Leigh’s writing.

It’s not enough for us to know that Bree has a lot of unresolved trauma. We have to be reminded of it consistently as Bree is bombarded with triggers, and then her mental state described in painstaking detail using all of the latest pop psychology buzzwords.

Much like Cross Her Heart (again) Right Behind Her gets bogged down with romance even as the rest of the plot flails wildly. Everything is built on such vague and flaky foundations that the details of character development become entirely irrelevant.
Twenty seven years ago Bree’s father shot and killed her mother and then killed himself. As Bree and her brother Adam are checking out the old home place, they discover two skeletons on the land. Bree investigates and secrets are revealed. A squatter is staying in the barn, he is a suspect but then he disappears. Bree’s niece gets taken and a note is found telling Bree to let sleeping dogs lie. Bree is more determined than ever to find the killer even though it’s been thirty some years.

This was so good. It will keep you on the edge of your seat. Secrets. Action. Bree must confront her past before she can move on.

* Voluntarily read and reviewed this for NetGalley *
*Puedes encontrar esta reseña en español al final.*

Well, in this fourth installment, Ms. Leigh has given a good "push" both to her protagonist, Bree, and to the plot about the family that comes from book 1. She has practically put an end to all the “active fronts”. Honestly, if it weren't for the fact that I already have the next two books on my TBR shelf, I'd think this was “the goodbye”.
Needless to say, it would be a major mistake to start reading the series by this installment. Start from book 1. Is so worthy.

This time around, the suspense plot has very powerful ties to Bree's past, which we all know was traumatic, to put it mildly. Old wounds will be reopened and forgotten characters will reappear. With this kind of stories, back to the past and so on, the questions “why now?” and “how has no one ever realized it before?” always haunt me. But the author, without giving away a lot of info, makes the story credible and, above all, interesting.

I have loved that push in Bree's personal life (about time!) and that feeling of moving on with her past. Which leads me to wonder what Ms. Leigh has prepared for us in the next installments… I hope the publication date will advance; a year is too much!

**e-ARC kindly provided by Montlake via Netgalley.**

Bueno, pues llegadas a la cuarta entrega, la señora Leigh ha dado un buen “empujón” tanto a su protagonista, Bree, como a la trama familiar que viene del libro 1. Prácticamente ha cerrado todos los frentes. Sinceramente, de no ser porque ya tengo en mi lista de próximas lecturas los dos siguientes libros, pensaría que esto ha sido una despedida.
Ni que decir tiene que sería un error mayúsculo comenzar a leer la serie por esta entrega. Empieza por el primer libro. Merece la pena.

En esta ocasión, la trama del suspense tiene lazos muy poderosos con el pasado de Bree, que todos sabemos que fue traumático, por decirlo suavemente. Se abren viejas heridas y reaparecen personajes olvidados. Con este tipo de historias, de vuelta al pasado y demás, siempre me queda la duda de “¿por qué ahora?” y “¿cómo nadie se ha dado cuenta antes?”  Pero la autora, sin dar muchos detalles, hace la historia creíble y sobre todo interesante.

Me ha encantado ese empujón en la vida personal de Bree (¡ya era hora!) y esa sensación de pasar página con su pasado. Lo que me lleva a preguntarme qué nos ha preparado la señora Leigh en las próximas entregas… Espero que adelante la fecha de publicación, ¡un año se me hace eterno!
“Right Behind Her” is a page turner! Bree’s character grows as she investigates a case  that is tied to her family’s past.  We learn more about Bree’s past trauma and the idea that she might not be remembering everything builds a lot of suspense. As she opens up to more people, the other characters in Bree’s life are supportive and show her that they appreciate her efforts. This book definitely seemed more fast-paced than the others in the series. If you’re looking for a mystery with a psychological -thriller feel, this book won’t disappoint!
Love Melinda Leigh books and this one did not disappoint so glad the older characters make an appearance. A great book in the newer series would thoroughly recommend to those who read the series or as a standalone book
Sheriff Bree Taggert is spent a long time trying to get over her family’s horrific past. When bones are found on her childhood home’s land, she realizes that there might be more tragedy than she originally thought.

I don’t know how Melinda Leigh does it, but each book gets better than the last. I could not put this book down, and if I hadn’t had to work, I wouldn’t have. The characters and plot are complex. The writing draws you in, and you feel like you are there with the main characters. Adding in a surprise cameo from a Morgan Dane series regular was just the icing on the cake.

I am now going to impatiently wait for the next book in the series to come out!
This book was a page turner from beginning to end. I literally couldn’t put this book down and finished in one reading. Such a of all of these series.   I literally couldn’t put this down until I found out the truth. I received an advance review copy for free, and I am leaving this review voluntarily.
I'm afraid I noped out of this book as soon as the hero told himself to 'be a man'. Not what I was expecting from this book.
Bree and her brother Adam discovere remains of two victims on their family farm. Both victims died about 30 years ago and that makes Bree's father the obvious suspect. But when things heat up and somebody tries to kidnap Bree's niece it becomes clear that these events are connected.
My new favorite book in this series. Everything was literally perfect! Right from the beginning we get to see just how Bree and her little family have come, all that character and relationship development was just stunning. In this book we get a little more of Adam and I loved it, I really like how much he loves his sister and niece and nephew. Bree's relationship with Matt had some great progression. The more books I read in the series the more I think that everything is perfectly paced, from Bree's relationship with her family to her romance with Matt.
The murder investigation was very interesting especially because the murders happened so long ago. I feel like this killer was the most ruthless one to date.
I always look forward to new books in this series and I can't wait for the next one.
Thank you to Netgalley for a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
OMW this series just goes from strength to strength.  Who knew small town USA had so many home-grown killers!

Bree is settling into being Sheriff, still fighting for funds and getting rid of the former Sheriff's good ol' boys.  She and Matt are still on the down-low - everything is all business at work which is fine but Matt wants them to be a bit more open about their relationship.

But when she and Adam go to the family farm to began clearing out they find more than horrific family memories - there are more bodies buried in the grounds.  Bree and Adam are left reeling - did their father really kill more people than their mother and himself?  Did he get rid of the bodies for someone else?  Was their land just the abandoned spot some serial killer just happened on?

This is a tense and intricate story.  You really can't help but feel sorry for Bree and Adam - they've already lived through and with so much and now they've had this bomb drop on them.  But they are made of strong stuff, even arty Adam.  Dana again is the glue that holds the little family together.

I just love this series - I'm on tenterhooks to see what happens next!
Another thrilling instalment in the Bree Taggert series. When Bree and her brother Adam find an intruder on their derelict family property they also find two skeletons. Already the place where their father murdered their mother and then killed himself it once again becomes a murder scene. Identifying the victims is difficult but eventually when they do there seems no connection between them. An intriguing puzzle to solve for Sheriff Bree Taggert and her team that brings back many bad memories from the past for Bree. I am really enjoying how the characters are developing throughout the four novels and am looking forward to the next book.
I believe this is best story of Bree. She overcame her past, moved on with Matt and the kids, and took down the bad guys. When’s she not solving the case, she’s working desperately to make the sheriff station a more manageable work environment, fighting with city council for more money for the department , and being there for the kids. 5 stars!
Another gripping installment in the Bree Taggert series, “Right Behind Her”, by Melinda Leigh (Montlake Romance), shows a wonderful and much expected advance in the slow burn romance between heroine and hero, that makes you crave for more.
This is an immersive romantic suspense story but I particularly loved the romantic plotline. What an amazing follow-up on the timid, tentative romance between our brave heroine, Bree, and solid, steady Matt. It was so heartwarming to see these two finally consolidating their relationship, how Matt slowly, patiently gives Bree space and time for her to conquer her fears. So smooth, so well written, so believable, seeing two adult people assuming their feelings for each other and watching how intimacy, closeness and sex happen and develop between them.
I love these well developed main and secondary characters and their tight relationships; i also loved the empathy between them – friends, family, colleagues.
Some of these characters deserve their own story or more predominance in future stories. Lincoln Sharp’s appearance was much appreciated.
The continuation of the Bree Taggett Series is a fast paced, pulse pounding thriller. It's been a very well written and we!l  planned out story. The development of the characters draws you into the story and leaves you feeling like you know them. Excellent! 4-1/2 stars
Thanks Netgalley for allowing me to read this book. Bree found bones on the property she grew up. They appeared to geca man and women from when her family lived there over 30 years ago. This brings up bad memories for Bree which she would rather forget. This book kept me guessing from the first page.
A big thank you to NetGalley and Montlake Publishing for the ARC.  I am voluntarily reviewing this book.  This is part of a series.  I think it reads ok as a stand alone, but I have read all of them so I may not be the right person to comment on this.  I truly enjoy this series.  The characters are amazing-even the bad guys!!  I have such sympathy for Bree's family.  Can they ever catch a break?  Adam is in this book a bit more, which I like.  I adore the dogs Great and Brody.  Brody is such a great dog!  The mystery as usual is convoluted and with lots of twists.  Great read.  4.5 stars    I think many mystery readers will enjoy this thriller.
So this addition of the Bree Taggart books was a good one. The story centers on human remains being discovered on the family land – a place Bree hasn’t visited since the night her father murdered her mother then himself. That night haunts Bree.

A cast of unsavory characters are all suspects as Bree and her man Matt try to figure out who is involved in the killings. Bree’s family is threatened and one is kidnapped as a warning; she is bitchslapped by an elderly woman, and the people who run the town refuse to give her the badly needed money she needs to run the police department. All in all, it’s a lot for Bree to worry about.

This book was a little darker than the others in the series and I felt there was a lot of explaining going on at times, but overall it’s a solid story with a good cast of characters.

Thanks to Netgalley for the sneak peek. 4 stars.
Bree has to revisit old memories when human remains are unearthed on her families abandoned farm. While twenty- seven years may have passed, it doesn’t mean a murderer rests any easier.
REVIEW - 🌟🌟🌟🌟/5 🌟

I have always loved a mystery series! As a kid it was Encyclopedia Brown. Any show on TV that is solving a mystery - spin-offs of Law and Order, NCIS, Monk, etc. Melinda Leigh has written three of my favorite mystery book series - the Morgan Dane books, the Scarlett Falls books, and this series - the Bree Taggert books.

Synopsis: Twenty-seven years ago, Sheriff Bree Taggert’s father killed her mother, then himself. Now Bree and her younger brother, Adam, find human bones on the grounds of their abandoned family farm. The remains are those of a man and a woman, both murdered in the same horrible way.

When the investigation determines the murders occurred thirty years ago, Bree’s dead father becomes a suspect, forcing Bree to revisit the brutal night she’s spent most of her life trying to forget. The only other suspect is an unlikely squatter on the Taggert farm who claims to know secrets about Bree’s past. When he mysteriously disappears and Bree’s niece is kidnapped, the cold case heats up.

Bree has stoked the rage of a murderer who’ll do anything to keep his identity—and motives—a secret. To protect everyone she loves, Bree must confront a killer.

This book is an easy read - I read it on one day! I wasn’t able to figure out “whodunnit” which is always a plus! I would characterize this book in the “romantic suspense” genre as there is an ongoing live interest through the series that gains traction each book. There is even a “cross over” with a main character of the Morgan Dane series.

This book is recommended for readers who enjoy light  romance - any sex in this one is off page - and a suspense series. With any crime series, trigger warnings include criminal behavior. In this one, there is a murder to solve, and Bree is a survivor of domestic abuse. I hope you love it!

TW: domestic violence, murder

Thank you to NetGalley, Melinda Leigh and Montclair Publishing for an e-ARC in exchange fo an honest review.