Cover Image: The Witness

The Witness

I’m sorry to say this book was a major disappointment in comparison to the first novel featuring Olivia Sinclair.

Slow, predictable and a bit of a duplicate of the first book.

There were a couple of things I found annoying. The biggest was the names. Ebby and Elodie, Felicity and Fiona… all a bit too similar when these characters are all family and central to the plot. And then there’s ‘Ebby’. Apparently it’s short for Edward, but this is only evident much later into the book and weirdly the last iteration of his name is Edward. I just found this plain weird if not a bit distracting as I would presume Ebby is a childhood nickname they’ve given him rather than his birth name.

After waiting a whole book for Olivia and Brian to get it together. Guess what? We go through it all again! Even though they both want to be together and have openly confessed their feelings for each other, we’re back at square one folks. And what’s more we have a rather oddly chosen character as Brian’s love interest.

Another part I found really tweaked my frustration with the book was that a family divorce lawyer was able to just become a criminal lawyer. Law is a very big subject! I doubt a divorce lawyer would have all the legal knowledge to be able to stand trial at a murder investigation. I appreciate Olivia was ‘doing a favour’ but even so she wouldn’t have been anywhere near the best representation in court.

As mentioned before, the book is quite slow and although there’s a few ‘extra’ subplots I honestly felt that this book was a weaker storyline than The Betrayal.

The writing, however is really engaging and easy to pick up/put down. I like Terry Ann’s style and whilst I didn’t enjoy the book as much as I’d hoped I’d certainly read others.
Ebby was 13 years old when he witnesses the murder of his mother ..and then promptly passes out. He woke up the next morning with no memory of how he got there.. and was told that his mother had been stabbed to death the previous night.

Thirty years later still has Ebby gripped in the grasp of not knowing what really happened that night. His memory has come back in bits and pieces, but when he tries to remember, he usually passes out. He's been under doctors care for years, but he has decided no more .... he needs to remember .. because his biggest fear is that he killed his mother.

Olivia Sinclaire, a family friend and an attorney, Ebby pleads with her to please investigate even though there haven't been any new clues in years. Brian, an ex-cop and now a private investigator, joins with Olivia to find the truth .. if they can.

The first thing they learn is that Ebby's mother was not liked at all. Because there was no sign on a break-in, they concur that a family member was the most likely suspect. But each of the entire family had reasons for wanting her dead.

This is a compelling thriller filled with mystery, deception, part legal thriller, suspense, with a little romance thrown in. It's well-written, riveting. It's a real page turner with twists and turns along the way and plenty of characters to follow without getting lost. Although second in the series, this is easily read as a stand - alone, although I highly recommend reading in order. This is a terrific series!

Many thanks to the author / HQDigitalUK / Netgalley for the digital copy of this crime fiction/mystery. Read and reviewed voluntarily, opinions expressed here are unbiased and entirely my own.
I enjoyed this book more than the first in the series. It’s multiple sub-plots hooked me from the start and peeked my interest. All in all, a good murder mystery.

Thanks to NetGalley, the author, and publisher for an advanced copy of this book in exchange for my review.
Olivia Sinclair is back, but instead of practicing family law she is working on a criminal cold case. When Ebby was a teenager he witnessed the murder of his mother and passed out causing him to have amnesia. 30 years later he begins having flashbacks of that murder. He admits to be the killer of his mother.

Can Olivia prove his innocence, even if he did confess to the murder?  This is the second of the series and both have been great. Plenty of twists and turns that had me guessing who the real killer was.
From my blog: Always With a Book:

This is the second book in Terry Lynn Thomas’s Olivia Sinclair series. I really like this series and I hope this is not the last we have seen of Olivia!

This is another fast-paced, gripping psychological thriller. I loved all the twists and turns – it really kept me guessing throughout the book. This is definitely a case where not everything is as it seems and I just love books like that. We meet a wide variety of characters, some that you immediately take a liking to and some that immediately rub you the wrong way. As the story moves forward, the use of flashbacks really helps to fill in the backstory and I found this to be such an effective technique.

There are multiple plot lines happening in this book. There is the main mystery involving Ebby and the cold case of who really killed his mother. But then there is the side story involving Olivia, Brian and Brian’s new love interest. I loved that Brian and Olivia were working together on Ebby’s case, but I think I was just a little more interested in what was going on with this other gal.

As I mentioned, this is the second book in this series, and while it can definitely be read as a stand-alone, I highly recommend picking up  the first book if you get a chance. It’s just as fast-paced and enjoyable as this one, and there are references to that first book.
About the Book

When Ebby was 13 years old, he witnessed the brutal murder of his mother, Cynthia. For 30 years, Ebby has had amnesia about that night but bits and pieces have started to be revealed from his traumatized memory.

When Ebby breaks down and confesses to murdering his mother after a flashback, Eddy’s Aunt Elodie asks family friend and attorney, Olivia Sinclair, to represent Ebby.

Ebby wants to know the truth and Olivia along with investigator, Brian Vickery try to find answers in this cold case.

My Thoughts

First of all, the characters in this book have the best names..Ebby, Elodie, Felicity, Fiona- just to name a few.

Secondly, I loved Olivia Sinclair’s first book, The Betrayal, and enjoyed having Olivia back in my book universe. You don’t have to have read the first book to enjoy this one, but I think you’ll like the character development of Olivia if you read both books.

The plot itself was fantastic with a range of lovely and good characters to absolute terrible antagonists. There were some great twists and turns and the ending really grabbed me.

There is also a nice subplot as Olivia’s “ investigator friend”, Brian, (he was in the first book as well), has a new female friendship that leaves Olivia suspicious/jealous?!!
This thriller and premise grabbed me from the very start! I was intrigued by Ebby and his mysterious flashbacks. This is my first time reading a book quite like this and I really enjoyed it. The multiple POVs and subplots added to the story along with the great pacing. Interesting and well developed!

Thank you to the publisher and Netgalley for the complimentary copy. All opinions are my own.
3 for neutral, didn’t know it was a series and want to read in order!  Will update once i am able to read the prior books and then this one!
Thank you to @suzyapprovedbooktours for my copy of The Witness. This is the next Olivia Sinclair novel and it was so exciting to get to pick up this series again. This page turning two part mystery had me hooked.  I love the way that Terry Lynn Thomas tells the story of this legal eagle lawyer.

Some 30 years ago, as a teen, Ebby witnessed the murder of his mother and awoke the next morning without his memory. Now he is having confusing flashes in memory. Can Olivia help him find his Mother’s killer?

This novel is full of suspense and I can’t wait to see what happens to Olivia next.
I was given a copy of this book by NetGalley for my honest review.  The Witness is the 2nd book in a series by author Terry Lynn Thomas and I was not disappointed.

It is full of twists and turns, kept me guessing until the very end.

I'm anxiously waiting for the next book in the series!

I rated this 5 stars.
Full of family secrets and twists and turns you won’t see coming! While the story’s main focus is solving an old family murder, the secondary side stories and the suspense that comes with them is what I felt drawn to the most. The author did a great job intertwining the lives of all the characters and the ending had that surprise factor that I crave. This is definitely a great read for fans of psychological/legal thrillers. It’s the 2nd book in the Olivia Sinclair series, but can easily be read as a standalone!

Thank you for my advanced copy in exchange for an honest review
Ebby is a successful restaurant owner. He has begun having terrible flashbacks. They are so terrifying that he completely blacks out. The flashbacks include the murder of his mother, which happened 30 years ago. Ebby thinks he did it. He enlists a family friend, Olivia, to help solve his mother’s murder and to pull him back to the present.

Terry Lynn Thomas has woven a unique tale. With all these twists and turns, she kept me guessing until the end. And her characters are spot on. I love Olivia. She is smart and takes no prisoners. Plus, my heart goes out to Ebby. He was just a child when this occurred. So, you can just imagine his pain and trauma.

Need a good legal mystery which keeps you guessing…THIS IS IT! Grab your copy today!

I received this novel from the publisher for a honest review.
The seconds better than the first!
In this follow-up to The Betrayal, we find Olivia called on to help exonerate a family friend who suffers from amnesia after witnessing (or committing?) his mother's murder thirty years ago. Ebby was only thirteen when his mother was killed and is now having vivid memories from that night that cause him to black out. Convinced he must have done it, in a black out state of mind he confesses to it but then has no memory of even doing that. Olivia and her retired detective 'friend' Brian are equally convinced he is innocent.
Then there's another plot that involves Brian and a woman who has her sights on him that may have ulterior motives for getting close to him. And then there's the case of the missing gold sovereigns and their connection to the murder. Just when I thought I had it all figured out and wrapped up in a nice little bow then pow! along comes a twist I didn't see coming.
This one is very well written and all the plot lines are brilliantly brought together in a climax that is both surprising and satisfying. Although this is the second book in the series it can enjoyably be read as a stand-alone. I'm a fan of this sixty something year old protagonist, Olivia, and her surrounding cast of characters and can't wait for the next thrilling mystery for her to solve.
Needless to say, I highly recommend this one.
‘The Witness’ is the second book in the ‘Olivia Sinclair’ series.

Teenager Ebby Engstrom witnesses a murder – and then passes out. The next morning, he wakes in his bed with no memory of how he got there, and is told his mother was stabbed to death the previous night. Thirty years later, the case has gone cold, with numerous suspects but no new clues – until Ebby starts having uncontrollable flashbacks to that night. As repressed memories surface, he questions his own role in the murder, leading to a dramatic confession and Ebby’s arrest. Family friend and attorney Olivia Sinclair is convinced of Ebby’s innocence, but the only way to clear his name is to find the real killer herself. And it seems almost everyone connected to the Engstrom family had a reason to want Cynthia dead…

This is the first book that I’ve read by Terry and it was a great book, seen from multiple narratives, that really hooked the reader in.

The story is about Ebby who saw his mother being brutally murdered but a the killer was never caught. Now, over 30 years later, Ebby is beginning to relive that fateful night with panic attacks and blackouts and is convinced that he is killer. Against, his family’s wishes, he asks lawyer, Olivia Sinclair for her help and expertise as well as Olivia’s former lover and policeman Brian to help find the killer.

This book is a cleverly crafted suspenseful thriller that really pulled me in, so much so that I read it in one sitting. The narratives seen from the alleged suspect as well as police procedural really made for compelling reading. Ebby is a fascinating character, he’s never recovered from the brutal murder of his mother and even though she treated him unfairly, longs for her killer to be brought to justice and for his conscious to be cleared. Ebby’s mother was quite an unlikable character, so there are many suspects into her death and motives behind them.

The main story is about the murder of Ebby’s mother, but another story is included with Olivia and her complicated relationship with Brian, who’s now moved onto a new lover called Leanne, who Olivia has her suspicions about. This is the second book in the series, but it’s written in a way that gives the reader enough background to the series and the characters.

‘The Witness’ is a taunt and fast paced thriller, with complex characters that hooked the reader from the first page.

You can pre-order ‘The Witness’ from Amazon and will be available to buy from good bookshops from 23rd April 2021.
This is the 2nd book in the Olivia Sinclair series. In this book, she is taking the case of her family friend, Ebby. When Ebby was 13 he witnessed his mother's murder. 30 years later his memory of that night is starting to come back. He confessed to the murder but Olivia isn't sure he did it.

This book is more like a court procedural and investigation of what happened that night which held my attention. I enjoy stories that include flashbacks from characters so that made this one even more engrossing. A strong and satisfying ending. I will defentialy be looking for more from Olivia and this series.

Thanks to the author and Netgalley for my advanced ebook copy.
Terry Lynn Thomas, the author of “The Witness” has written a captivating, intense, and suspenseful legal thriller. This is the second in a series but can be read alone. The genres for this novel are a mystery, suspense, legal thriller, and fiction. The timeline for this story is set in the author’s present and goes to the past (thirty years) when it pertains to the characters or events. The author describes her dramatic characters as complex, complicated, and flawed. There are betrayals, secrets, dangers, and murder. Many of the characters can be suspect, and I enjoyed the stories involving several characters adding to the main story.

Can you imagine witnessing a terrible murder, and then waking up and not realizing what happened? Ebby Engstrom was 13 years old when his mother was stabbed, and witnessed it but totally blacked out and for the next 30 years has amnesia to any of the events. Now a successful owner of a restaurant, Ebby is starting to have flashbacks, they are frightening and he blacks out when he has them.

There are some supportive members of Ebby’s family that try to help him, and some have betrayed them. Ebby’s mother was certainly not a class act and showed her hatred of him when he was younger. At a party for his aunt, he blacks out, but wakes up with a torn shirt and blood, claiming he killed his mother when he was 13.

The ambulance is called, and the doctor notes that Ebby is dehydrated and in shock. The Police involved feeling they are readers to open what was a cold case. Ebby is forced to ask Olivia Sinclair to help him, not only stay out of jail but find out who the true killer is. I would certainly recommend this edgy story to other readers.
What an extraordinary whodunit! This is a page-turning, can’t put down until THE END book! Ebony, Felicity, Elodie, and Fiona  are quirky but lovable Olivia Sinclair is a welcome voice of reason with her PI sidekick Brian Vickery. This book takes turns that if you were driving would miss. It was a roller coaster of suspense! I highly recommend this book if you like whodunnits with some romance mixed with it.
A good murder mystery in both its audio and ebook formats, it kept me occupied for  a few hours. Having not read the author's earlier books, I was pleasantly surprised with my peaking interest in this story. I love murder mysteries.

With multiple plot lines, it kept me on my toes with its many suspects. I kept trying to play Detective then got seriously involved in the book.

But in the middle, too many things happened which confused me a bit, and I had to really concentrate.

Overall it was a good read with some unexpected twists.
I haven’t read the first book in the series “The Betrayal,” but I had no trouble immersing myself in this one. “The Witness” turned out to be a gripping thriller with multiple plots, which was entertaining.

The author progresses the murder mystery very nicely, where you don’t know who the suspect is. Each family member, including Ebby himself, is a potential suspect in Cynthia’s murder and acts suspiciously at one point. Moreover, I always enjoy an excellent amnesiac storyline, and the way the author portrayed Ebby’s guilt made the story hard to put down. Some of the scenes that stood out for me were when Ebby makes a scene at Elodie’s party and when Seth shows his true colors at Olivia. Even though Seth only appeared briefly, he is one of those characters who I immediately despised. It would be interesting if he made an appearance in future novels.

I also loved the second storyline revolving around Leanne, Olivia, and Brian. Olivia and Brian share charming chemistry, and it was interesting to see what happened when Leanne entered the picture. Besides, Olivia uses her skills to make sure that Brian isn’t hurt. Olivia is a fantastic protagonist, and I enjoyed her scenes with Brian and Ebby. However, there were times where I felt like too many things were happening when the author could have concentrated on one or two storylines. As much as I liked Seth, I think the author could have omitted him in this book and given more focus on Leanne or Ebby’s plot.

Overall, “The Witness” is a beautiful addition to the “Olivia Sinclair” series and sparked my interest to pick up “The Betrayal.”
I was gripped by this book in the beginning, but then the plot started becoming confusing. The relationships in this book, both family and romantic were hard to keep up with, because there were so many characters to understand. However, I have not read the previous book, so I understand that can be contributing to my confusion. I found myself rushing through to get to the end, which seemed to happen abruptly. Overall, I don't think it was my type of book but wouldn't want to put off anyone else wanting to read it.