Cover Image: Bridge of Gold

Bridge of Gold

Bridge of Gold by Kimberley Woodhouse is a part of the Doors to the Past series. This is the story of two different couples in two different time periods. In 1933, Luke Moreau, a diver is working on the construction of the Golden Gate Bridge. His underwater discovery puts his fiancé, Margo’s life in danger. Present day, while doing repairs on the bridge the discovery of a lifetime is made. Underwater archaeologist, Kayla Richardson is hired by the mayor to unearth the find. But danger lurks around every corner. Someone doesn’t want the treasure brought to the surface and will stop at nothing to keep it for themselves. I enjoyed the different time periods. Getting to “see” the bridge constructed and then years later repaired was a different perspective. Overall it was a quick read for me and a very refreshing read.

I received this book from Celebrate-Lit for my honest review.
I have never been to San Francisco (never been to California) but after reading this story, I felt that I almost visited. The author put her notes in the beginning of this book, which makes sense as you get into the novel. San Francisco has a very interesting history especially how the shoreline was built up.

This novel takes place in two different story lines, but a third and earlier one has great impact on it. The contemporary story deals with excavating historical significant finds from a sunken ship that has quite a legend attached to it. The 1930's story line dealt with the building of The Golden Gate Bridge and the same boat.

Even though all three story lines took place in very different times, the depression era verses modern, the lust for riches and the evil attached was pretty much the same. As our heroes and heroines worked through their struggles, the evil seemed always to be stalking them. I found the resemblance and how little man and his sin has not changed to be quite eye opening when you really sit down and think about it. We really haven't 'evolved' much. Thankfully God offers grace, mercy, and forgiveness.

This was an interesting time split novel that continued to show how 1849 really shaped California.

I was provided a copy of this novel from the publisher. I was not required to post a positive review and all views and opinions are my own.
I am adding this book to my list of favorite books for 2021. I love dual time-line stories and this book  is one of the best I have read. The author delivers a  tale where we are introduced to a wonderful journey of gold, sunken ships and a mystery that spans several generations. I was so fascinated by the diving that went on in the different time periods. I can’t imagine wearing bulky head gear and depending on someone to make sure you had an air supply.

It’s hard to say which time period I liked the most because they each were a puzzle piece that connected together to bring us a wonderful story of hidden treasures below the sea. The waters were murky and dangerous for Luke and his friend George. They worked long hours trying to help get the bridge built. Who knew they would discover a remarkable relic while diving? I liked Luke and knew his heart was in the right place. He wasn’t greedy and wanted only the best for  his future bride. There are great characters in the story, but I have to say Luke was my favorite. His love for God was wonderful to read and it sets the stage for the next time period.

Kayla has a fascinating job and I loved following her beneath the sea where she uncovers a mystery that spans many years. The way the famous bridge comes into play is an historical lesson that has made me do more research on the subject. The author has done a great job of delivering a story rich in facts that enhance the book.   With her ability to take me along with Kayla as she dove under water speaks volumes about her creativity. As Kayla teams up with Steven to do some work for the Mayor , they find themselves deep in mystery as the dark surrounds them under the murky water. Steven is a good character who continues to show Kayla that he can be trusted. The struggle Kayla has with something  from her past hinders her from concentrating on her job at times.

The story is definitely a thriller and will keep you on the edge of your seat. What do Kayla and Steven discover that threatens them?  Can they solve a mystery from long ago and set the record straight for a family? I loved the lessons  on trust, greed, forgiveness and allowing God to help you through past hurts.

I received a copy of this book from Celebrate Lit. The review is my own opinion.
A Bridge of Gold, by Kimberley Woodhouse is book three in the Door to the Past series. It is also a stand alone dual timeline story. This story focuses on events surrounding building San Francisco’s Golden Gate Bridge and a sunken boat in the 1930’s. As well as finding the boat while working on the bridge in modern day. Both times we see people who are trying to do what is right and those who will do anything for the treasure in the boat.
I really enjoyed reading this story, it has good, strong, caring characters. It is so well written it is easy to envision the building of the bridge as well as the investigations of the boat. The story is full of action and suspense, which made it hard to put down. I enjoyed the history given as well as the theme of trusting God and having faith. This story does involve a murder. It also has a touch of romance.
I received a complimentary copy of this book, this is my honest review.
What a book! Bridge of Gold has so much going for it. I hardly know where to begin. The characters are above and beyond well-written. They're real and honest and adorable. The relationships between each couple felt like real life while the split time gave wonderful glimpses into the past and all that divers endured during the building of the bridge. Add in a Gold Rush mystery and I was head over heels for this story. I love how the past and present collided at the end, bringing the book to a solid conclusion. Though I'd love to spend more time with the characters, their resolution made me smile. I hope Steven gets his sweater! I received a copy of this book from the author through Celebrate Lit. I was not required to leave a positive review. All thoughts and opinions expressed are my own.
4.5 stars-rounded up

I am not a huge fan of mystery stories. Or split timelines too much. But this was really nice.
What I liked: I enjoyed how the characters weren’t perfect. Why did one character stay in a dangerous situation? Well, because he was a flawed character! And mistakes were made. But that was exactly what I loved.
What I didn’t like: it was hard for me to get into this book. I didn’t warm up to the main female characters until about the 30% mark. Had I not committed to reading this, I probably would have stopped. But I’m glad I didn’t stop! This was much better once the set up was out of the way!

Overall a good read, especially if you like dual timelines and mysteries.

I received a copy of this book from the publisher to facilitate a review. All opinions are my own and I was not required to leave a review, positive or otherwise.
I really enjoyed learning about the Golden Gate Bridge and how it came about.  It was made even more interesting with the story of Kayla and  Steven and how they found as story from the past as they were called in for a discovery when repairs were being made to the bridge.  I liked seeing how the past and present were intertwined and the mysteries of the gold and bodies made it a very good read.  I look forward to more I received a copy to read, the review is mine.
As an underwater archeologists, Kayla has seen her share of interesting artifacts. When the mayor asks her to be involved with a special project that involves gold being discovered underneath the Golden Gate Bridge, she is intrigued. Steven and his crew will be there to support the process.

In the 1930s, finding a job was hard. Luke is a part of the crew that is building the new San Francisco bridge. The work might be dangerous, but he is grateful that he will be able to support his fiancé when they get married soon. But then he finds something that he was not anticipating. How he proceeds changes everything.

This is the second book that I have read in the Doors to the Past series. The author did a great job of connecting the two series together even though there was almost 100 years between them. This book definitely illustrated the confusion and turmoil that the promise of gold can cause for people. I have always been fascinated by underwater archeology, and this book does a great job of highlighting that field as well.

Reading this book helped me to appreciate the architectural feats that happened before technology. I never had considered how dangerous bridge building would have been. Now when I see pictures of the Golden Gate bridge, I will recognize that the structure came with sacrifices.

I would definitely recommend this romantic suspense time slip book. I did request to read an advanced copy because the plot intrigued me. I was not disappointed. This review was not required. All opinions are my own.
I enjoyed Woodhouse's engaging and informative book. I like the dual time plot, giving readers insights into the building of the Golden Gate Bridge as well as solving contemporary mysteries surrounding the bridge. I had no idea some of San Francisco was built over some 40 sunken ships. Many ships came into the harbor during the gold rush and some were abandoned. The wood from a few of the ships was used for building but the rest became landfill as the coastline of the city was expanded.

Woodhouse says she did much research on diving so we get a real sense of what it was like to help construct the underwater towers for the bridge around 1933 and investigate a sunken ship today.

Woodhouse has woven an entertaining plot around the two time periods. There is a good dose of suspense as we see how greed can be deadly when there is the possibility of gold to be retrieved from the sunken vessel. The characters are well developed and the plot moves well. This is a novel to read for entertainment and to learn a little history.

I received a complimentary egalley of this book through Celebrate Lit. My comments are an independent and honest review.
I love this series!  I was hesitant at first due to my usual distaste for dual time-line fiction, but this series is changing my mind.  I'm three books in, and they've all held my attention and I've loved both sides of the timeline.  This one is no exception.
Kayla is a highly sought-after expert in underwater archaeology, living in the shadow of her parents' death.  It has colored her world for years and left her buried in her work, alone and unable to grieve because she feels justice was never done.  A new job unraveling a decades old mystery involving a lost ship and the Golden Gate Bridge is a good distraction, but it may be Steven - handsome leader of the assisting dive team - who can help her heal and find herself again.
The historical mystery of divers in the past searching for lost sunken treasure to save their families from the Depression is engaging but I actually enjoyed the present-day timeline of this story just a little more.
The research is impeccably done.  I enjoyed seeing the parallels and changes in the diving profession over the decades.  And, now I really want to go to San Francisco to experience the lovely weather and beautiful scenery.
All of Woodhouse's main characters are characters of strong faith in God, and I love seeing how their faith impacts the way they meet the challenges around them.
I'm eager to read more of this series, and highly recommend it to anyone who enjoyed historical fiction with a dash of mystery and romance.
This was a great dual time line story by Kimberley Woodhouse. I liked learning some of the history of the Golden Gate bridge. I also loved that their was a mystery to the whole story. I also liked how the romance between each couple developed and I liked how the modern day couple learned about the couple from 1933. I also loved how she showed what greed can do to a person and that when it becomes an obsession it can cause you to be a scary person. I liked how everything ended and I thought this was well written.

I received a complimentary book from publishers, publicists, and or authors.  A review was not required and all opinions and ideas expressed are my own.
Travel back to 1933 San Francisco where you will meet struggling couple Margo Hunley and Luke Moreau and witness the building of the Golden Gate Bridge complete with the mystery surrounding a sunken ship and highly sought-after treasure.  Turn the pages to current times and learn how this “multigenerational and multifaceted” mystery is still affecting lives including those of underwater archeologist Kayla Richardson and underwater construction diver Steven Michaels.  Believe me, you will continue turning the pages moving from the past to the present and back to find out how this story plays out!  This well executed, easy-to-follow, suspenseful dual timeline saga drew me in with the first line and held me tight to the last one!  The intriguing plot moves at a steady pace. Detailed descriptions, especially of the underwater action, put you at the scene and allow you to feel the story.  The characters are well developed and engaging.  The faith element is strong, and the romance is sweet. This fictional account based on historical fact has all you need for a captivating, adventurous read—intrigue, mystery, and suspense tempered by romance, faith, and courage.  This is book 3 in Barbour’s fantastic Doors to the Past series.  I totally enjoyed this book and highly recommend it and the series especially for lovers of historical fiction.
I received a complimentary copy of this book in e-book form from the publisher via NetGalley.  All thoughts and opinions are my own.
This was such a fun read! I enjoyed the dual time mystery and I thought Kimberley wove the different eras together really well. Luke and Margo and Kayla and Steven were really great characters and their romances developed naturally. The bad guy in the current day timeline totally surprised me and the ending of the historical time line was really good. I really enjoyed this easy dual time read. Looking forward to more of these!

I received this book from the author and was not required to post a positive review. All thoughts are my own.
Bridge of Gold is the latest in Barbour's Doors to the Past series and it another delightful read of it. (Please note that all the stories are stand alones.) The setting is the 1930's and modern San Francisco and it focuses on the building of the Golden Gate Bridge and a shipwreck with gold close to it. Both focus on getting the gold out and the greed that comes with a sudden treasure!
If you like the dual line genre, you will love this one! I received a complimentary copy of the book through NetGalley, but all opinions are my own.
This was such a compelling story. It occurred through a couple different time periods, one laying the mystery and another solving the mystery. I loved the idea of the whole thing. There were two different couples that I was invested in and they each had so much depth of character. Even the side characters were well developed.

The antagonist in this remained a mystery to the end. We had information, but not the identity. The mystery was a slow burn that gave clues in each of the separate timelines. I found that I drew some conclusions in the stories and was delighted that I was wrong on some of the things. I know, but I can't say more, it's a mystery.

I have loved these mysteries in this multi-author Doors to the Past series. The authors have found some extraordinary events and mysteries as well as a strong love story and a happily ever after. I will have to find the ones I haven't read and add them to my collection.

I received an early copy through NetGalley and the publisher and this is my honest review.
I don’t think I will ever look at the Golden Gate Bridge the same after this story. Years ago during a visit to San Fransisco, I travelled across the bridge on a bicycle, but never for once thought about what it took to build this amazing structure. Thanks to this story, my appreciation for this bridge multiplied by like a 1000.

Okay, back to the story. I really like the plots of both past and present - both had adventure, mystery, diving and a love story. Though I enjoyed the modern day characters, Steven and Kayla (and I really hope my boys won’t eat as much as Steven), I was pulled towards the past story. Luke was such a great characters, longing to survive with the Depression, striving to do what God expects of him, and then facing real temptations with finding the gold and the events unfolding after.

The modern day mystery felt a bit rushed at the end. I would have like a few more danger scenes before everything was wrapped up so quickly.

What I’ve come to love about this author’s work, and what came across again, was her characters’ faith in God and daily challenges in their walk with God.

I would highly recommend this to fans who enjoy dual time stories rich with factual history.
It was so interesting to read about how some of the Golden Gate Bridge was built.  The men and women who dove in that water and helped to set the charges to clear that area were very brave.  I love the characters in this story.  I love how this story went from past to present and worked in the mystery of this gold that was found in the past.  This is a great story.  I received a copy of this book from Barbour and Celebratelit for a fair and honest opinion that I gave of my own free will.
Being a huge fan of the 1930s, I was immediately drawn to Kimberley Woodhouse’s latest offering. I also found the idea of divers working on the Golden Gate Bridge in different eras intriguing, seeing as it is a profession that isn’t often featured in fiction. This book did not disappoint.

To my surprise, I actually liked the contemporary side of the story best. The characters were portrayed vividly and the suspense kept me guessing. Reading about Kayla’s job as an archeologist, as well as Steven’s work as a diver was interesting. Many people will relate to Kayla’s struggles with grief and will root for her as she works on her own self-improvement. I also liked the characters Margo and Luke. Perhaps I didn’t relate to them quite as much, because I feel like I didn’t get to know them as well as Kayla and Steven, but I thought they were both good characters. I appreciated their grit and determination to make the best of things in the midst of the Great Depression.

And while I won’t give away any spoilers, I will say that the suspense is well done in this book. Twists and turns abound in these pages and will keep you guessing until the end.

If you love Christian historical fiction with sweet romance, obscure historical facts, and plenty of suspense, then Bridge of Gold is the book for you. Highly recommend!

I received a complimentary copy of this book from Barbour through NetGalley. All opinions expressed are my own.
Bridge of Gold is a wonderful historical fiction with a contemporary timeline as well. I enjoy dual timeline stories and this one did not disappoint. The author, Kimberley Woodhouse does a great job telling a story about repairs on the Golden Gate Bridge that lead to a years-old murder mystery. She has added lots of interesting tidbits of information regarding the building of the bridge, sunken ships full of gold, and underwater diving in years gone by. Blend that with danger, mystery, and, of course, a romance, and voilà, a book that is hard to put down. Readers who love a blend of history and contemporary fiction will not want to miss this book. I was pleased to see Bridge of Gold is part of a series (Doors to the Past) and will be looking for others in the series to read.
I was given a complimentary copy of the book from Barbour Publishing and was not required to write a review. The opinions are my own.
It isn't often that a bridge is a main character in a book, but the famous Golden Gate Bridge is the focus of this dual-time story that is set in both 1933 and present day. Bridge of Gold provides a fascinating look at the bridge as it was being built in 1933, and then, in 2020, as it is undergoing repairs. Both tales include danger, fear, and the search for sunken treasure that is believed to be in the waters beneath the bridge. Greed is a common denominator, and jeopardy is a recurrent theme, but belief in God and the power of prayer are also very prevalent in the stories!

Bridge of Gold offers history, mystery, and two sweet romances. I found myself searching for more information about San Francisco, the California Gold rush of 1849, and the building of the Golden Gate Bridge. I was quickly caught up in trying to discover who was willing to kill for gold, and I loved seeing the love between Margo and Luke, in 1933, along with the contemporary relationship between Kayla and Steven. Both couples face immense obstacles, and it's uncertain if they will overcome them, but hope and faith are ever-present as they deal with these hurdles.

This book shows another dimension of Woodhouse's writing talent and I thoroughly enjoyed her efforts. Bridge of Gold is a stunning addition to the Doors to the Past series from Barbour Publishing, and I recommend it to all who appreciate Christian romantic fiction.

I received a complimentary copy of this book from Barbour Publishing and was under no obligation to post a review. These are my own thoughts.