Cover Image: The Throwback List

The Throwback List

I liked the idea of this concept, but this one just didn't work for me. I think it will be better suited to other readers.
This was a really cute and enjoyable story about female friendship and fulfilling childhood goals. I liked each of the three main characters and found the story/plot itself very fun. I am looking forward to reading more books by Lily Anderson.
This title just didn't do it for me. I really wanted to like it but just couldn't connect with it. I found the pacing too slow and disliked a lot of the characters.
Not the best fit for me. I feel so bombarded, even disgusted, with social media right now that I'm ready to give it all up. - So a main character who all about social marketing and influencing, Twitter, Instagram? It was something I struggled with. Let's be honest, Jo was just downright shallow. I hoped that she would grow up a bit by the end of the novel. She probably did. I tried to stick it out to see, but she just annoyed me too much, and I couldn't follow through. Probably a fun read for someone who likes to "follow" people. For me, not so much.

Thanks to NetGalley and Hyperion for making an advance copy of this title available for an honest review.
I would rate this book 4.25 Stars. I enjoyed how the author made it three points of view and a New Adult book. I feel like it's really hard to find books where the characters are later in college or out of college only by a few years and figuring out life in your mid-to-late twenties. While I did enjoy this book a lot, I felt like Jo is still the main character. I think that the three points of view were distributed a little oddly at times. Overall this was a super fun book about friendship. I loved that this book still had romance in it but it was a secondary plot. I usually gravitate towards Romance, but I think that the focus and love that went into creating the main friendship in the trio was just amazing and so important.

Thank you Disney Publishing Worldwide and NetGalley for giving me access to an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Lily Anderson's The Throwback List asks a very interesting question - Would your high school self be proud of the person you are right now?  When three women find themselves back together in their home town after so many years apart, they begin to question not only their friendship to each other, but also where their lives have lead them.  So starts the "throwback list", a to-do list that was created at 15 years old, but completed by your 25 year old self.  Jo, Autumn and Bee come together to reminisce and recognize how much they have matured over the years,

I enjoyed this novel and the story, but I felt that Anderson's style of writing was a bjt passive aggressive at times. It was almost like she was modeling her characters on real people from her own past and using the novel to prove how far she had come.
Lily Anderson has written some of my all-time favorite YA books so I was so excited to see this adult debut! The Throwback List feels like your favorite cozy friendship movie that you'll want to return to again and again. This book is the perfect small-town escape that will carry you away from your own life. I loved seeing these characters find their way back to each other and support each other through the next phase of life.
Fun, light story about three girlfriends whose lives have taken different paths and come back together to pursue a bucket list created in high school. The setup was more drawn out, and it took me about 50% through the book to start rooting for the characters. Once I was, this was a happy read that took me out of my COVID-world.
the characterization of Autumn, Jo and Bianca are really cool, but honestly what is this plot? I can not tell you how it ends, and I just finished it an hour ago
Unfortunately this was a bit of a bust for me. I couldn’t really get into it. I really wanted to but couldn’t.
Jo loses her job and moves back home to Sandy Point, Oregon. Autumn, her best friend in school, is now drama teacher at SP high school. Bianco is Autumn's new best friend.  Circumstances bring these three together for an unforgettable journey in maturing ten years after graduating high school.
Back when Jo and Autumn are eleven, they began making a list of things they would do to celebrate the end of high school. For various reasons, it isn't done. Now ten years later, Jo rediscovers the list and decides to do it and photograph each item upon completion and post that online.
Read this tale of friends, relationships, and family...no what you expected.
"The Throwback List" has a great premise but the pacing is so slow. It's difficult to keep picking the book up because of the lack of suspense, tension, or stakes.
This book was a wonderful exploration of friends coming back to their hometown and discovering themselves and who they’ve become.  The story reminds us of the responsibilities, the roles and the societal pressure we take on early that we forget to enjoy being in the moment.
The premise of this novel was intriguing, but I ultimately found it difficult to get into. Maybe it’s because I identified with Jo more than I would have liked. When I moved away from home I did it fully, and even with social media I don’t keep up with people from my hometown. I know that you can’t “go back” and expect things to be the same, so in that sense I felt like Jo was a bit naïve. So why 3 stars…well the ending, idk that I should even call it that. The list was left unfinished, or at least it felt like it was. Someone I trust to give me recs on books said, “I don’t like it when authors ‘force the bow’ and make it all tidy”, but in this case idk that the ribbon even attempted to meet. I’m sure there will be a sequel, but I won’t be there for it. This is one throwback that I won’t need to go back to.
but, i feel like this book was such a cute idea, and i feel like overall, it was something i honestly really liked. with them making instagram posts about things they wish they did in high school. and i honestly feel like it was just so cool. but, i feel like it was just kind of boring and that not much happened between the three of them. and i feel like that they could honestly work it out so much better. like, i feel like there was zero tension between any of the characters, and they didn't even have any bad blood, at all. and i mean, i feel like they needed to have something, some sort of tension, but they just ate and sat and took photos for instagram. and like if there was any drama between the characters, it just got to be resolved between a matter of pages, which was just kind of annoying and weird.

and like i feel like it was just crazy and that the real bit of conflict was just bee and her family, and all of the drama between them, which i feel like was kind of annoying. and i think it should have had something more in there. and i mean, i guess the good thing was that we got it all and got to see their nostalgic, and to kind of get them to see them look back at their past, but i feel like it was just something that could have been fixed and to see it all happen better.

i honestly wished i liked this book, but i feel like the characters were just something that i didn't like. like, i feel like the characters were just kind of boring and they were pushovers, honestly. and i think it was just so weird and kind of crazy that there are three main characters, but i just couldn't get into it. and i feel like they were just something that i couldn't get into. and so many of these other characters were just so rude and mean, which i honestly hated, since they were just so rude.
Meh… this book felt entirely too long/too slow while still feeling completely unfinished at the end, like it needed an epilogue. The blurb makes this sound like it’s about all three women, and it is but the story definitely favored Jo who I really didn’t like. The idea of a Throwback List was fun, but the execution of this didn’t really do it for me.

Thanks to @NetGalley and Disney Publishing Worldwide for my ARC!
I really liked the premise of this book. Jo loses her job and is forced to move back home for financial reasons, while going through her room she comes across a bucket list she and her best friend wrote back senior year of high school. Jo, looking for a way to keep up her social media presence, decides to check off all the items now as a 26 year old. She reconnects with high school friends and competitors to help her with the bucket list.

Jo, along with friends Autumn and Bianca have to figure out how to navigate their jobs and families as adults when some of parents only think of them as kids.  Social Media, especially Instagram play a large part in the story.

The Throwback List is light and the atmosphere of the Oregon coast is tantalizing. My assumption is that the content would resonate more with a younger reader. I found myself connecting with the parents of the girls and even one grandmother. The angst of starting careers and trying to figure out where they fall in the world is in my distant past.

Thanks to NetGalley for the advance copy in exchange for an honest review.
This book was a wonderful exploration of friends coming back to their hometown and discovering themselves and who they’ve become. The characters are so fun to watch figure out how their lives fit with one another, and even the frustrating times in the story were fun to read. I appreciated that there were times that things didn’t exactly end how I expected them to, I thought it was nice for the author to not tie things up with a happy bow. Overall I would definitely recommend, it was a quick read and the characters were likeable and I wanted them to succeed.
Such a fun well written, thought provoking and self-deprecating book. The author deftly handles this coming of age story about success, failure, friendship, loss, love. What happens when you lose everything and are forced to retreat to the home and small town you couldn’t get wait to leave? I highly recommend this one.

** I received an electronic ARC from NetGalley in exchange for a fair and unbiased review of this book.
Estranged friends, jealous former classmates, and a bucket list that unites them. (Lol! I like that for a movie teaser don’t you?)

The Throwback List by Lily Anderson is a contemporary novel about three young women in their twenties who working out who they are and what their next step in life will be. The catalyst for The Throwback List adventures is Jo Freeman, who returns home to Sandy Point, Oregon after being laid off from her social media manager position in California. She enlists her former best friend, Autumn and her former enemy/high school competition Bianca along with Bianca’s husband and Autumn’s brother to help her complete her old throwback list while she is in town.

Friendships And Changes
This book touches on how old friendships from one stage of your life either evolve, end or become stagnate. I’m sure many can relate to the transition from high school to college being one of finding new friends, embracing parts of your identity that you had previously shunned and moving onto new interests. And also knowing that the gap left between high school friendships and present-day adulting can be a challenge to repair at times.

Making Lemonade With Lemons
One thing all of the main characters have in common is that they had plans for their life to go in one direction, but in of course goes in another. I think right now especially, we can all relate to that. I like how the characters work through their disappointments. The Throwback List brings them together and centers joy in their lives as they work towards who they want to be as adults.

Fave Moments
I can’t spill on that because it would be a spoiler! But my fave moment is towards the end of the book and it involves two people. The rest is for you to investigate on your own. I will say that I like the banter between the friends, especially between Jo and anyone else.