Cover Image: The Throwback List

The Throwback List

Jo finds "the throwback list" she made when she was in high school and it reunites her with her two friends. A cute story of how they accomplish this list.
jo really though she had her life on track before she is promptly fired and forced to move back in with her parents and younger sister. in her childhood home she finds a list of things she wanted to do before moving out of her hometown, and not a single thing on the list is done. so she decides to complete the list with the reluctant help of her former childhood friends

i liked this book! it was cute and fun, i think it made for a great summer read. i had a few issues with some of the millennial, internet-esque language used as it really makes the book feel dated. i really think some of the slang, especially words like “girlboss”, should be fully removed from the book or the longevity of the story will suffer.
This was such a fun read! I loved both The Gilmore Girls and all seasons of The Bold Type so I was intrigued from the beginning! Jo gets fired and returns to her hometown of Sandy Point even though she's not happy about moving in with her parents and younger sister. And her two oldest friends from high school (that she's ignored for years) are reluctant to accept her back as she hasn't been the best friend. But when she comes across an old journal entry about things she wanted to do in high school but was always afraid to, she knows she must attempt them now to prove to herself she is a grown-up. Calling it The Throwback List, she begins filming her adventures and lures Autumn and Bianca into helping her. Each woman has her own issues but working together brings them closer as we see hilarious antics as well as deepening friendships. Anderson speaks to so many themes of our 20's: fitting in, finding peace, finding love, reconciling family relationships with who they are, but most importantly, finding the way to live your authentic life without giving up your principles.
I enjoyed reading The Throwback List! It’s a fun read full of friendship, family, and love. Throughout the book, Jo faces drama in all aspects of her life, but in the end it all comes together. I enjoyed the list at the end of every chapter and I wish I had made something like that as a child to replicate!
The Throwback List has a super cute idea – make a series of Instagram posts about things you wish you’d done in high school. Yet, this book was so slow! There is little to no tension between characters. They just sit around eating and taking pictures. Any drama is resolved within a few pages. The main source of conflict is between Bee and her family. This storyline got real old, real fast as her family treats her with no respect constantly. There is a bunch of yelling and the character whimpering about it. After the story dragged on and on, the last few chapters were rushed, squeezing as many highlights as possible before abruptly ending.
While I didn't love this book, chick lit and women's fiction tends to be hit or miss for me. But I keep reading them hoping I'll find a winner. But this one was a miss for me. I did however enjoy the friendship in this one.
Joanna Jordan Freeman thought she had it all figured out. But life dealt Jo a massive blow when the company she'd dedicated her life to was sold, thus forcing her back home with her parents in the place she worked so hard to leave. But at home, she starts to find some of the things she'd lost, like her friends, a relationship with her family, and an old journal with a bucket list inspired by all the things other people were doing in her hometown. Using her social media skills honed in the corporate world, Joanna works on her own brand and she tackles the items on her list, reconnecting with the past. The Throwback List is a lot like a YA novel for twentysomethings who have lost their way. It questions what's safe to post online, which skills are marketable, and which friendships should be kept. It is the delayed onset into adulthood story that so many need when life tosses the lessons at you hard and fast. A fun story with an edgy, gritty setting that mimics what it is like to be on the verge of something more, but without a map to get there.
The Throwback List is a great book for those who are going through any kind of transition. Focusing on the transition of being laid off from a job, the main character has to move back home with her parents. This would be challenging for anyone, but then add to the stress by having to reconnect with people that you haven't seen in years! Shenanigans ensue. Trees are TP-ed. And relationships are repaired?
"The Throwback List" by Lily Anderson was such a fun book to read. As a fan of "The Bold Type" on Freeform, I truly loved this read. The character development was quick and to the point. You understood each character for who they truly were and I can absolutely appreciate that in a book. I can honestly say I laughed, I may have a shed a few tears due to the love of these 3 girls for one another and enjoyed every minute of it. The only downfall for this book is the pricing. I do not believe that a teen would pay $26.95 for this book and with the teenagers I teach I know for a fact they will not pay this much for a book. I would recommend a lower price if possible or a paperback alternative that could lower the price significantly. Other than that this book gets a 5 star rating from me! Great job Lily Anderson!