Cover Image: The Cosy Cottage in Ireland

The Cosy Cottage in Ireland

I just love this authors work. Every book is a real delight that takes me away to the setting. And is always ,inked to food somehow, so it is always warm and enticing. Can’t wait for the next one.
I have followed this series from the beginning in Copenhagen and each time I fall for the countries that the author describes so beautifully and with such knowledge, this one is just the same.

I found myself reading it until the early hours and then doing silent fist bumps as I didn't want to wake anyone up, the story writing just envelops you in a warm Irish hug.

I would love to visit Dublin, it sounds perfect 🥰  and like Hannah, would hire a car and visit the sea. Would love to take a kayak out too,

The food sounded absolutely amazing too, although I was hoping for Conor's Irish Stew recipe 😋.

Where will we go next with this series I wonder, my bucket list is growing.
The Cosy Cottage in Ireland is Romantic Escapes book 8, but it can definitely be read as a stand-alone. Each story in this series focuses on someone else and in a different location. This story is about Hannah who is in fact Mina’s sister. Mina was the main character in book 7. I already own nearly all books in this series, but this was the first one I have read and I am now very keen to go back and read the others, especially Mina who (book 7) as we heard a bit about her in this story.

Anyways… The Cosy Cottage in Ireland is just that….cosy! Hannah goes and stays in a cosy cottage in Ireland while doing a 6 week cooking course. Hannah is a lawyer and really into practical thinking and (over)analyzing everything, so therefore not spontaneous or eager to try new things that she may not be good at. I can completely relate to this, so I loved Hannah right from the start. Cooking is one of the things she is not good at and after many years she has finally decided to do something about it and not in halves…. but instead she goes to a 6 week intensive cooking course in Ireland.

What to expect:

✅ absolutely stunning setting in Kerry, Ireland. The descriptions are so brilliant that I can easily picture all the places like the farm, the local pub and the beach

✅ a relatable main character that is a really good person but far from a romantic!

✅ lots of food. Duh! Hannah is on a cooking course. Julie really goes into details so you can really picture and practically taste the food.

✅ a community with friends that feel like family

✅ romance between two completely different characters, lovers to enemies to friends to…?

✅ a mystery to solve, a bit of excitement… I could feel the fear in my stomach, that’s how caught up I was in the story

✅ a change of pace, working all hours of the day, haveing a place to live but not a “home” and not knowing your neighbors, versus slower paced life in Ireland surrounded by beautiful sights and really kind and warmhearted people. Can Hannah ever go back to how she lived before?
I was gifted my copy in exchange for an honest review.
I am a huge fan of Julie Caplin books because it always feels like a holiday and i need that, especially i the early hours. This time we are heading over to Ireland and once more, food  is the focus and god i forgot just how good Julie writes food, you want to sample everything.

Hannah is after a change in her life when she realises she isnt good at cooking and on a whim she decides to book herself onto a renowned cookery course. When she arrives in Dublin she throws caution to the wind after a handsome stranger arrives in the bar and spends the night with him.

However, what happens in Dublin doesnt stay there when Hannah soon learns the man she spent the night with is more well known than she knew and he is going to be around for a little while.

I love books like this, with gorgeous descriptions of not only the food but the places, you feel like you sat nestled next to a fire sampling some delights. Honestly Julies writing has always just taken me away from reality for a little while and this continued to do that.
Julie Caplin is my own personal travel agent. Her brilliant and engaging prose of beautiful foreign lands, captivating characters, and glorious food immerses the reader into a wonderful sensory overload of a taste of Ireland.

There was something about Ireland that made her want to act out of character.

To her family's and colleagues' surprise, Hannah Campbell is taking a sabbatical from her law firm to attend the Killorgally Cookery School in County Kerry, Ireland. It seems that is not the only uncharacteristic thing she chooses to do when has a one-night stand with a handsome and charming stranger on her first night in Dublin. You see, Hannah is safe and sensible who lives by the book and doesn't take chances... until she comes to Ireland.

I adored this book from the gorgeous scenery to the lovely characters. Conor and Hannah are two opposites who really connect. Hannah is not your typical heroine. She's unromantic and practical. She's never had her heartbroken and she had no idea who Conor was when she first met him because she could care less about TV personalities.  Conor Byrne is a world-famous chef who is tired of the limelight and is working at his family's estate to relax. When he first meets Hannah, he is intrigued by her interest in him as a person and not a celebrity. Conor is arrogant and charming and doesn't fraternize with guests at his mother's culinary school. However, fate puts him in close proximity to the one frustrating woman he could make an exception for.

The supporting characters are always a wonderful addition in Ms. Caplin's books. Conor's mother Adrienne is a force to be reckoned with and is a bit like Hannah with her practicality and work ethic. From her swear jar to her love of her ladies (chickens to you and I), she was my favorite character. In addition, Conor's brother Fergus was a hoot and I loved the other guests who had interesting stories of their own. Especially Izzy and her castle. What a great story that would be.

I realized that Hannah's sister, Mina, was the main character in The Little Swiss Ski Chalet which I had the pleasure of reading. For a taste of Japan, please also see my review for The Little Teashop in Tokyo.

If you love good company, delicious culinary delights, and beautiful scenery, please escape to the beautiful Emerald Isle in this delightfully heartwarming book. Yet another location to add to my bucket list.

Thank you to Ms. Caplin for giving me the opportunity to read this book with no expectation of a positive review.
Julie Caplin has done it again! In this novel, we meet Hannah - the sensible sister to Mina who we met in The Little Swiss Ski Chalet. Hannah prides herself on being good at her job, and not doing anything without careful consideration. However, on a whim, she books herself into a six week course at Killorgally Cookery School in County Kerry, Ireland.

On her first night in Ireland, at a stop over in Dublin, she meets the irresistible Conor. Throwing caution to the wind, she had a wild night - after all, she’s only in Dublin for one night. Everything is not what it seems though, and over her six weeks at the cookery school, she is forced to self-reflect and really question what it is she wants out of life.

This was such a fun read. I was really invested in Hannah and the other people at the cookery school, and was eager to see how they would develop. The author also has a way of making the reader feel as if they are in the setting of the book, which is very welcome in this era of no travel!

I have added all of Caplin’s books to my tbr and can’t wait to read them!

Thanks to @netgalley and @onemorechapterhc for the arc.
I love Janet Caplin books and have read all of them so far. I was please to be asked to review this book.
It didn't disappoint. Form the very first time Hannah and Conor met I was hooked on this story.
I loved the setting of the cookery school and foudn myself wanting to vanish off to Ireland to do the same as Hannah. It was so lovely to see the course comrades come together from their diverse backgrounds and bond over the food that they created together, along with associated happenings. A thoroughly excellent book and defintely worth a read.
Thanks to the publishers and Netgalley for the ARC to review.
This is the next in the travel/food/romance book written by Julie Caplin in the series. Although there is a little cross over with some of the characters from the other books, we meet Mina's (main character in the last book) sister Hannah in this book, they are all stand alone novels. As you may well guess from the tittle this book takes place in Ireland. Hannah - a lawyer based in Manchester is restless and needs to do something outside her comfort zone for probably the first time in her life. Both her and her sister have been brought up by their staid aunt and uncle after their parents died completing yet another dangerous adventure. For all of her life Hannah has followed the most sensible route possible not wanting to cause her aunt and uncle any worry and to stop herself from behaving selfishly like her parents.
The reason she is in Ireland is to complete a six week cookery course at the famous Killogally cookery school in County Kerry - something her employers and family find difficult to believe. On her first night in Ireland she finds this new side to herself - Irish Hannah which is a little more daring and enjoying embarking on new experiences. This new bolder Hannah decides to have a one off night to remember in Dublin but, fate seems to have other ideas!
We follow the progress of Irish Hannah and she starts to realise that maybe safe and predictable can also mean boring and lonely. A beautifully written book showing how  taking a risk now and again can bring happiness.
First off thank you to Harper Collins via Netgalley for preapproving me to read this book and thank you to Julie Caplin for writing another wonderful book.

I love the title first of all, it made me smile thinking about what the cosy cottage might look like, and that was even before reading the book.

The talk of all the food made my stomach rumble while I was reading this.

I liked the toing and froing between Connor and Hannah, they seem so well suited but I wasn't sure if they would get together or not so I was eager to read on and find out.

The Cottage that Hannah is staying in sounds beautiful.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this cosy, romantic, food filled read. It give a lovely warm feeling when you're reading it.
Hannah decides she’s had enough of being the sensible solicitor, taking time to think through all her decisions, and so she signs up for a six week cookery course at the Killorgally cookery school in County Cork. On a stopover in Dublin, she meets Connor and they share a no strings attached night out. But when Connor appears in Killorgally, Hannah has some thinking to do.

The Cosy Cottage in Ireland is another hit from Julie Caplin. As with all her books, there is so much more to enjoy than a simple story. We have the beautiful Irish scenery, so well described I can almost feel that I’ve visited there myself. There is also the cookery school, and the recipes and techniques used are again laid out in full, which brings Killorgally fully to life. And to complete the mix, there’s even the mystery of the neighbours, with a few scares and thrills to entertain.

All in all, a great read and one of her best!
I’ve been to Dublin so recognised places mentioned and I have been to a cookery school where the Head chef was a hard task master so empathised with Hannah. Nice bit of romance thrown in for a very enjoyable story
This is the eighth book in the ‘Romantic Escapes’ series, which I have to say is my favourite book series because I have loved each and every one of the escapes. I think I’ve valued them even more since going away has been so restricted. Although each of the books has a link with one of the others, the link is not enough to make each book need to be read in the correct order, these work perfectly as standalone books.

I loved Hannah, and her decision to attend a cookery school simply because of her need to be the best, and solely made because another talented lawyer at the firm could bake perfectly and she couldn’t. That competitive streak is something that I could really identify with! I loved her first unforgettable meeting with Conor, and the hilarious second meeting that she never expected to have. Although their initial meeting was so dramatic, their romance was a definite slow burn due to miscommunication and misunderstandings along the way.

The setting in County Kerry sounded so beautiful. The descriptions of Ireland really captivated me, and there goes another destination I need to add to my bucket list! I have to say I could picture the cottage and really want to live there, complete with sea view.

I can guarantee, with all the food being cooked, reading this will make you feel very hungry.

The creepy neighbour was the perfect balance of mean and menacing. The other characters were wonderful, some slightly difficult, and some with fantastic banter that really made them entertaining, and I loved the way everyone rallied round when disaster struck. I also enjoyed the fact that Hannah used her legal skills to their best advantage.

I’m hoping that I have worked out where we are going on the next ‘Romantic Escape’. Fingers crossed for that, but I’m sorry, I’m not going to share, my lips are firmly sealed! You’ll have to read it and see if you can work it out too.
4.5*
Hannah Campbell was enjoying kicking back and relaxing in Dublin, away from her frenetic life as a lawyer in Manchester. She still wasn’t quite sure what had prompted her to book a six week course at Killorgally Cookery School, apart from the fact she’s embarrassed about not being able to cook and being totally outshone by her sister in the kitchen. A bonus is that the cookery school isn’t far from where her best friends, Aidan and Sorcha, live.

Hannah was spending a night in Dublin before she collected the hire car for the drive to County Kerry. Relaxing with a glass of wine in the hotel bar after a day of sightseeing in the rain, the last thing she expected was an encounter that lead to much more with the charismatic and handsome Conor.

The next day finds Hannah on the road to County Kerry and the wonderful sounding Killorgally estate which, besides the school, comprises a working farm, gorgeous cottages for the students’ accommodation and beautiful views. There’s a great mix of characters, all well defined and individual with their own stories. I enjoyed the banter between them, the friendly relationships that developed and the way the farm was run with the students helping to tend the animals and crops.

Normally an extremely cautious person, always choosing the safe options, Hannah feels quite the opposite in Ireland. Her life in Manchester contrasts sharply with her feelings of release and pleasure in this new and different environment. That is until someone she didn’t expect to see again turns up. So much for thinking what happened in Dublin wouldn’t come back to bite her.

The Cosy Cottage in Ireland was a delightful, fun, emotional and altogether engaging story set in an idyllic location, which was wonderfully and vividly described. Although this is book eight in the series, I believe each is a standalone read with different characters.
I love this series, so I was delighted when the publisher sent me a NetGalley widget  for this latest book. As soon as I started reading I knew I was in for a real treat, and snuggled down to follow Hannah on her culinary journey in Ireland.
I loved the Irish setting so much, it really made me want to visit rural Ireland, but not the cookery school so much! I would be just like Hannah especially if I had to make a Victoria sponge!  All food descriptions made me want to do some cooking with fresh seasonal ingredients. I loved how all the different students had daily chores and enjoyed visiting the hens with Hannah each morning. The banter between the different characters was so natural, it made the book feel very real.
I had a funny feeling that I knew what was going to happen between Hannah and Connor, but I really didn’t mind as the chemistry between them was perfect, and after all this is a romance!
If you’re looking for a cosy read I definitely recommend this one. In fact I recommend the whole Romantic Escapes series!
I’ve never thrown myself into a Julie Caplin book and not immediately been embraced by a cosy hug of a novel, and this book is no exception. In fact, I think this one might be my favourite yet (do I say this about every one of them? Probably!), although I was pre-disposed to like it because it centred around one of my favourite places in the world.

Starting off in Dublin and then heading west to Kerry, with a sojourn to the beautiful harbour town of Dingle, this novel takes you to some of the most beautiful parts of Ireland, and will make you feel absolutely like you are there. In fact, if you aren’t immediately whipping out the travel guides and planning your own trip to the Emerald Isle as soon as you’ve finished it, I will be mightily surprised.

Lawyer Hannah has pushed herself out of her comfort zone to take a cookery course at a famous school of cuisine in Ireland and, no sooner has she set foot on Irish soil, she begins to act very out of character, being bold and taking chances she never normally would. Well, travel can have that effect on us all, although my travels have never propelled me into the arms of anyone quite as scrumptious as Conor Byrne. (Again, I may be displaying some bias here, given my clear penchant for men with an Irish burr.) She comes to regret her hastiness later, but stories would be no fun if the participants behaved sensibly, now would they?

As with all of Julie’s travel novels, food plays a massive part in the story, and this one is no exception. Set in a cookery school and focusing on the connection between the ingredients, where they come from and the plate, it is a feast for all the senses, and feels topical for modern times. Foodies will revel in the descriptions of all the cooking processes, and I am sure many people will be familiar with the trials and tribulations of bread-making after the past 18 months, especially the travails of battling a sourdough starter. (If you follow Julie, you will know this is something she has been tackling herself, this is an author who believes in hands on research!)

The romance in this book is natural and spontaneous and passionate and seem to develop so believably on the page that I could not have accepted the two main characters not ending up together. The trials they face along the way were very understandable, they were not at all contrived and you could easily see how their misunderstandings could arise. They seemed to fit together like two puzzle pieces, and the chemistry between them flew off the page. Since the relationship is the heart of any novel calling itself romance, I can assure you that lovers of the genre will not be disappointed by this one.

My favourite part of the book was when Hannah takes a trip to Dingle and has an encounter with one of its famous residents. Dingle is my favourite place in Ireland, it is unique and beautiful and friendly and I absolutely adored it, can’t wait to go back. I had an encounter with that resident myself and the story took me back to one of my most magical memories.

This book is the perfect cosy romance to snuggle up with during this chilly autumn days. It will leave you happy, satisfied and with the warm glow of a Ready Brek kid (a reference that will only mean something to people of a certain age!) I’m looking forward to getting my paperback to add to my beloved collection of Romantic Escapes novels and am looking forward to seeing where this author will take me next. It is always a pleasure to take an armchair trip with her.
Once again Caplin delivers a great read as this writer becomes my ‘go to’ author for cosy romances that feature beautiful settings and fantastic food! Heading to Ireland this time, we follow Hannah as she embarks on a cookery course, only to realise that her desserts go beyond a perfect soufflé.

Two of the most memorable things of my last Caplin read was the vivid setting and mouth-watering food. Readers will not be disappointed here as we firstly head to Dublin and then the idyllic Irish countryside. Personally, I have many warm memories of Dublin and I think Caplin’s description perfectly captures the atmosphere, energy and aesthetics of a beautiful city. Yet, only a small fraction of this book takes place here as Hannah moves to the Irish coast to learn how to cook. It reminded me a bit of 'Master Chef' and 'The Great British Bake Off' as we watch many scenes of Hannah’s attempts to improve her culinary skills. I truly sympathised with Hannah as she realises she is not as good as her classmates, but perseveres nonetheless.

Living on the working farm/cookery school, Hannah learns not just about the importance of food, but to take time out for herself. Hannah is able to admit that her life in Manchester isn’t really living: her apartment is just a place to sleep; she is fully dedicated to her job with little room for anything else; and she lacks the confidence to take risks and make a change. Therefore, the cookery course is symbolic of the transformation that Hannah undergoes, which she herself begins to recognise (calling it her ‘Ireland Hannah’ when she sees that difference emerging). This was a really enjoyable aspect of the story and one that I recognised from Caplin’s previous read, where characters go on a journey of re-discovery and evaluate what is most important to them.

Of course, one thing you expect from Caplin’s novels is a sweet romance. This happens with the dishy Conor and I loved imagining his Irish accent! The first scenes where Hannah and Conor meet are delightfully entertaining and, whilst it is easy to foresee how their relationship will develop, added to the cosy atmosphere of the book. As I said, this author is perfect for writing books that will make her readers feel all warm and content on the inside.

I really enjoyed the vast variety of characters in this book, particularly Hannah’s fellow cooking classmates. The people are all different in their own way and have such contrasting personalities. Jason was definitely my favourite chef, as I loved reading his rebellious behaviour and the money he had to donate to the swearing jar! He is a lovable rogue and I thought his final actions towards the end of the story simply proved how many good friends Hannah had made on the course.

For sure, my love for Ireland gave me a biased head-start with this book! It is a lovely read and I enjoyed relaxing to see Hannah’s cooking disasters and how she learned along the way. This is a sweet story that did not disappoint and I look forward to reading more by this author in the future.

With thanks to One More Chapter, NetGalley and Rachel’s Random Resources for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
I love Julie's books for two key reasons - firstly she has an amazing ability to draw you into a location, wherther that be exotic or closer to home; secondly she creates characters full of life in whom we become invested and care about. this book is no exception and before long you'll be drawn into a sleepy Irish village, cooking delicious food and speaking with an irish lilt. Neighbourly disputes will be no surprise to those who have lived in the country and the ending ties everything up neatly. It really is all in the telling - a book you won't want to finish for the very best of reasons.
If you're looking for an adorable romantic comedy, this is it! "The Cosy Cottage in Ireland" helped transport me to the Irish countryside. I was living vicariously through Hannah Campbell as she attended a culinary masterclass in Kerry County. While traveling to her destination, she bumped into Conor at a bar in Dublin and sparks fly. After spending the night together and determining that her behavior was completely out of the norm for her, she is shocked when she discovers that his family owns the culinary school she is attending. Will they be able to avoid each other, or will the relationship continue? Tune in to find out!

This was my first book by Julie Caplin and I will definitely be reading more! Thanks to NetGalley for the ARC. All opinions are my own.
This is another book in the Romantic Escapes series by Julie, which are all fantastic and this doesn’t disappoint either.
What I enjoy about Julie’s books is that although there are main characters there are also fantastic supporting characters that you get to know and there’s always a food theme and you get to get a feel of the culture of the particular country the book is based in.
This story is based in a cookery school as Hannah has taken a break from her job as a lawyer to learn to cook. During a stop over in Dublin on the way she meets Conor and throws caution to the wind thinking she will never see him again, little did she know his Mum owns the cookery school that she is going to. Conor however has made it clear he doesn’t mix business with pleasure with guests.
As always Julie’s descriptive writing transports you to the country that the story is based in and makes you hungry, for food, and more of her wonderful books.
As someone who loves to cook, I am loving the food aspect of the book. The characters are strong and I've formed a bond and care about the characters and what was happening. I wanted to go to Ireland and find that cottage because it sounds perfect and relaxing.