Cover Image: Murder Gets a Makeover

Murder Gets a Makeover

Sometimes I just want to escape into one of the Jaine Austen books for some lighthearted fun and this one didn't disappoint. I loved the storyline with Prozac's escapades and I found the mystery to be solid.
Murder Gets a Makeover is the eighteenth installment in the Jaine Austen series set in the outskirts of Beverly Hills and featuring freelance writer Jaine Austen and her finicky feline, Prozac.  Thanks to her shoe salesmen neighbor Lance, Jaine finds herself the target of a makeover by A-list celebrity stylist Bebe Braddock.

When Jaine shows up at Bebe's house she discovers the woman strangled by a wire hanger.  With so many suspects including Jaine herself, the usual calamity of an investigation begins.  Jaine is being courted by a 20 year old, Prozac becomes an internet celebrity for saving the boy next door from being run over by a car (well, not really - it had more to do with a chicken nugget) and Jaine's father is creating the usual havoc in Florida.

A silly afternoon read that provides what series regulars have come to expect.  I received an advanced copy of Murder Gets a Makeover from NetGalley via Kensington Publishing.  While not required to write a review I am happy to offer my honest opinion.
Thank you to the author, publisher and Net Galley for providing a free ebook ARC in exchange for my review.

I LOVE Jaine Austen books!  Yes, they are stilly, yes, she does talk about food a lot.  But they are SO MUCH FUN!  I discovered this series about 10 years ago and have read every single one and laughed my way through them all.

This installment is #18 in the life and times of Jaine Austen (no relation), her kitty Prozac, neighbor Lance and wacky parents.  In typical Jaine fashion, soon after she finds a perk in life, someone dies, and she's on the hunt.  In this one, she's to have a full fashion makeover, falls in love with a boy toy, and her trusty sidekick, Prozac, becomes an internet legend.  If I say much more, I'll give too much away.

This series would be good for someone who likes a little Stephanie Plum for comic relief, and can put aside any reality.  But really, these books are great fun, and I love them to pieces.  I especially appreciated the lack of Lance in these books - in the last few he's just been too present for me.
I enjoyed this book. The characters are great. I was surprised by who the murderer was. #MurderGetsaMakeover #NetGalley
Laura Levine has written another winner with Murder Gets A Makeover. Her ability to combine murder and life in the celebrity studded world of LA is what makes the story so funny. Jaine Austin, the hero, delves into the world of all the stylists who help the rich and famous look their very best. Aided by her cat Prozac and friend Lance, Jaine finds herself in the midst of the search for the murderer of totally despicable woman.  At the same time, her parents are on the hunt for information/gossip related to the actions of a woman living in their retirement community. It’s really funny and I loved it.  I’m going to go back and read all of her other books now.  It’s so great finding new authors.
I love Janie and Prozac those two were meant to be together. Lance suggests to a high profile client that Janie would be perfect for a makeover. Biggest mistake was going through with it. The lady is a horrible woman and Janie finds her murdered. This is such a fun and laugh out loud one.
#MurderGetsaMakeover #NetGalley
Another laugh out loud whodoneit from Laura Levine. When a free makeover ends with a body in the morgue, our beloved heroine, Jaine Austen, must solve the murder, and prove her innocence, all while tracking down the whereabouts of her beloved Cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs t-shirt. Add in the primadonna antics her cat, Prozac, who has just become famous on social media, and you have all the necessary elements needed for a comedic cozy mystery masterpiece! A must read for fans of Joanne Fluke.

I was fortunate to receive a free ARC of this book from Netgalley. The above thoughts, insights, or recommendations are my own meek musings.
Another hilarious book in a great series. I especially loved the cat in this one. Reminds me of my new cat. All about the belly rubs.
This is the 18th book in the humorous cozy Jaine Austen Mystery  series.  I have read and loved every book in the series.
While, yes there is a murder. and yes Jaine is a suspect so investigatesthe murder to clear her name.Despite the circumstances,  there are many hilarious  moments and side comments to the reader. Emails from her parents are  funny secondary stories that are not part of the main plot but are very amusing.
The Mystery itself is a good one . I did not guess correctly on the Who Done It".
I'd like to thank Kensington Publishing, NetGalley and the author for the opportunity to read and review this book.  The book is published on 9/28/2021
I can't believe this is book 18 in this series!  I love Jaine so much and just want things to work out for her just once.  :)  Prozac, her cat, is hilarious and never disappoints.  These books are such a great escape from reality and a nice reminder that things could be worse for you (lol).  The mystery was good and while I was hoping for a different who-did-it, I sort of expected it.  The nice red herring towards the end was good, but seemed to wrap things up too quickly, so you knew something else was coming.  Looking forward to the next book!
I LOVE all the Janie Austen books. I don't read many cozy-type mysteries anymore, but I am beyond loyal to this series. However, I keep reading Laure Levine's books because they are just so enjoyable, hilarious, and creative. They are like the comfort food of books to me (something that Janie loves). :) I enjoyed the mystery - it was a bit predictable of course, but still fun to read. I also adore Janie's friends - Lance, and her cat Prozac... and the emails between her and her parents are just the best!! Overall, I highly recommend this series for a bit of laugh out loud escapism.
Jaine Austen (no relation) is an at-home freelance writer with a crazy cat (she speaks for the cat in italics so it doesn't technically talk) named Prozac, and a pushy high society shoe salesman neighbor, Lance.  Sound zany?  It could have been fun, but the author had different ideas.

This book begins with a couple of laughs and appears very promising.  But instead of it being a hobby, it becomes endlessly clear that Jaine genuinely loves food.  She eats, thinks about, and talks about eating.  Frequently and nearly constantly.  All the time.  Without end.

When Lance volunteers Jaine for a fashion makeover by famous fashion stylist, Bebe, Jaine meets Justin.  He's Bebe's assistant.  He's 20 (too young to buy booze so others have to buy it for him), and Jaine is 30-ish.

Justin, it seems, likes older women.  This is when the mention of food begins to wear thin.  It's also when Jaine switches some of her focus to "lady parts" and "undies-of-the-day," and even her cat's lady parts.  That follows with other euphemisms through the rest of the book, giving everything a decidedly and increasing "eww" factor with each giggle.  (And I began to gag.)  Swearing also warms up and keeps going strong to the end.

There is a murder.  There's an incident with Prozac the cat, that is supposed to be hilarious.  Sadly, by then I keep checking to see how much book is left before it's mercifully over.

The yuck thermometer rises to a previously unguessed-at height, and finally, the book ends.  After guessing that everyone was the killer except herself, her cat, and her parents, it was hard to call the big reveal a "twist."  But the author gave it a shot anyway.

It's too bad that the amusing ideas were practically drowned in take-out or just disappointment and chunky monkey, and the mystery was literally strangled with distasteful "comedic" elements best left in a dive-bar's trash can.  But I would not recommend this book, or the author in future endeavors.
I love anything with Jaine!!! However, the email correspondence with her mom and dad are what has me cracking up in all her novels. Another we fun romp. Thankful to NetGalley for allowing me to read this book.0
A funny, easy read which made me laugh on nearly every page! Love her cat, Prozac and her self deprecating sense of humour. I'll now read the others in this series.
Blah, middle of the road nothing special book.  I have outgrown the need for name dropping.  Story was fluffy and light.  Read and forget book.
Murder Gets a Makeover is the latest Jaine Austen mystery.  In this installment, Lance volunteers Jaine for a makeover by an awful woman named Bebe.  When Bebe gets murdered, Jaine is the main suspect.  I love this series so much.  Jaine and her adventures are always hilarious.  Her parents’ emails are also very funny.  I also enjoy her cat, Prozac.  I may figure out who did it in this series, but I have so much fun until the very end.  I get tired of some mystery series after awhile, but, thankfully, this is not one of them.  Thank you to Netgalley and Kensington for the ARC.  All opinions expressed are my own.
Ok so I have read almost every book in this series and they still manage to delight me and make me laugh. I loved Prozacs part in the story so much! Typical Pro. I had figured who the killer was fairly early on but was surprised at the way in which they were revealed. Jaine manages to finagle her way out of danger as usual!
This book is funny and entertaining. I'm always excited when there is a new Jaine Austen to read, and just a little sad when I'm finished and have to wait for another one to be written.
Levine does it again with this hilariously funny book. A reader's delight!  Her characters are interesting and you will love them. Get ready for some laughs as you try to figure out who the real killer is. A most enjoyable addition to any library.
I laughed out loud through the entire book. It’s like the author is channeling me in my younger years.The snarky comments and witticism is awesome!  Even better, there are a bunch of previous books in the series that I can binge on.  HAPPY GIRL…just add a pint or two of Chunky Monkey and I’m set!