Cover Image: The Man Who Died Twice

The Man Who Died Twice

I must have had sky-high expectations for Richard Osman's second book in his Thursday Murder Club series because I was ultimately a little disappointed in The Man Who Died Twice.  The four Cooper's Close residents are involved, should I say entangled, in multiple murders and stolen diamonds.  The first book in .the series, the Thursday Murder Club, introduced the group who get together to discuss unsolved crimes.  Psychiatrist Ibrahim Arif, political activist Ron Ritchie. former nurse Joyce Meadowcraft and ex-MI5 operative (?! I know) Elizabeth Best idiosyncratic, elderly friends framed in a thoroughly enjoyable mystery.

Elizabeth and Joyce have the limelight here. And while Elizabeth again runs the show, I found Joyce, whose diary entries we read, to be the most engaging and fun character, Osman having given her all the pithy, funny lines.. Elizabeth had told Joyce that on their upcoming trip, there would be NO shopping, it was business.  Recalling her reaction to his dictate, Joyce writes in her diary, "What sort of business though? Diamonds? Murder? Perhaps a bit of both? That would be nice.” Truthfully, I don't like Elizabeth that much -- too competent, too hard-edged -- but she and her ex-husband are at the center of the diamond theft, the mafia, and murder.  There are secondary plotlines which are not followed-up completely: a drug-dealing former teacher (?! I know) among them.

In both novels, the four elderly sleuths are seemingly in a "cozy" mystery, but there is a lot of violence, especially in this second novel, including when Ibrahim is knocked to the pavement and kicked in the head by some teenage thugs, hospitalizing him.

If people read for the quirkiness in the characters and their ready acceptance of being entangled in another mysterious crime, they will definitely enjoy this book.
Then Man Who Died Twice is the enjoyable second book in the Thursday Murder Club series. The senior sleuths are back with Elizabeth in the lead as a former colleague reaches out for assistance. What follows is mystery, intrigue, mayhem, murder, diamonds and treachery. I highly recommend this book.

** I received an electronic ARC from NetGalley in exchange for a fair and unbiased review of this book.
Love handselling this great series to my customers.  Osman's four septuagenarians are a hoot and they mysteries are quite devishly clever.  It is like watching a good mystery series on BritBox!  In the second installment, we learn more about our four main characters.  Can't wait for a third!
A thank you to Netgalley for sharing the ARC in exchange for an honest review.

I was nearly beside myself when I caught wind that there was a sequil in the works for The Thursday Murder Club, one of my favorite and most charming read that I read all last year. My only qualm with it is that I listened to it on audible, and I have to say that the series just works so much better when your eyes are on the page. The characters are simply fantastic and I can't get enough of this delightful, quirky crew. The mysteries are straight up mystery, never gorey, and entertaining to try to figure out. I don't believe there is a more loveable septuagenarians in all of literature. Please let me know if you have any read-alike recommendations! And, a shoutout to Hollywood, please make this a movie! I'd pay full price.
I thoroughly enjoyed this book a lot more than the first one! The characters are still extremely fun and enjoyable to read about. Each member of the Thursday Murder Club brings something new to the table, and I really love seeing their friendships and love of each other. Especially with the subplot line when one of them gets hurt, and they will stop and nothing to make sure they retailate.

When I finished the first book, all I could think about what how Richard Osman set up an incredible group of characters and I could not wait for another story. This did not at all disappoint. It definitely exceeded the expectations I had.

If the first book was not quite what you were looking for, the second one definitely shows how Osman knows how to write a great mystery. I highly recommend this book to anyone who wants a nice cross between cozy mystery and intense thrillers.
I was so excited to return to Coopers Chase and join my favorite group of retirees as they insert themselves in police business and solve crimes. The characters in the series are absolutely delightful! Their friendship and humor brings these stories to life!

The plot in the second book is even more intriguing than the first I thought.

This is a great read for any mystery fan!
This was a great second novel and continues the series nicely. I’m so grateful to have been able to read an advanced copy. I love the characters and I didn’t see the ending coming!
Another delightful mystery by Richmond Osman set in a seemingly sedate English retirement community.  As with his debut novel, his cast of characters, the Thursday Murder Club, are drawn into a real life mystery.  In this case, the drama surrounds an old colleague of Elizabeth's.  Or was he more than a colleague?  Bodies pile up, diamonds get into the mix and organized crime comes into the picture.  I loved returning to these characters, especially Joyce, and seeing them work out the mystery along with the professionals.
Another win for Richard Osman! I didn't love this quite as much as book 1, but it was still quite thrilling. I can't wait to meet up with this group of sleuths in book three!
Man Who Died Twice
The Thursday Murder Club is back.  Joyce, Elizabeth, Ibrahim and Ron feature in a new mystery with their police officer friends Donna and Chris.  Elizabeth’s past in MI5 rears its head when an ex-husband (and fellow spy) needs protection.  Ibrahim’s new resolve to experience the world is tested when he is mugged and beaten in town.  Donna and Chris (now dating Donna’s mother) are stumped by a drug dealer that eludes capture.  Osman is a pro at balancing humor and intrigue, with characters that are wise and funny but not caricatures, providing depth in the portrayals of family relationships and loyal friendships.  The counterpoint of the villain who opens his gardens, his pride and joy, to the public but wonders briefly where those grenades are buried and reserves the right (unspoken of course) to knock off anyone who tries to get into his house, is one example of Osman’s dark humor.  Elizabeth and Joyce are front and center in this book, with Ron and Ibrahim taking a back seat.  All ties up neatly in an intricate net that captures, or eliminates, the bad guys and revenges Ibrahim at the same time.  A bit bloody to be called a cosy, but delightful just the same.
The older you get the more relevance the zany Thursday Night Murder Club has. In the second book in the series, readers are again immersed in the lives of four septuagenarians who live in an English retirement community. The members include a former spy, Elizabeth. At times I just wanted to roll my eyes at the shenanigans they were able to pull off to fight for justice and solve crimes. Elizabeth’s former husband, who is the British M5, stole a bag of diamonds from a black-market arms dealer and plans to disappear with them. He’s been in hiding at the retirement community and Elizabeth and her crew end up figuring out he murdered him as they also bring a punk to prison for battering one of their members in the theft of a phone.  Its not necessary to read the first book, but as with all series in which the various personalities are important, I’d read this series in order.
The Who Died Twice is the delightfully offbeat and comedic follow up to the Thursday Night Murder Club where readers were first introduced to the members of the TMC.  The Thursday Night Murder Club are an eclectic group of septuagenarians residing at the same retirement center, each with their own unique set of skills, who have come together to solve, you guessed it, murders.  The members of the club include Elizabeth, a former spy, Joyce, a former nurse, Ibrahim, a former psychiatrist with a photographic memory, and Ron, a retired labor organizer.  Elizabeth thrusts the gang into their next investigation after she receives a letter from her ex-husband who has gotten himself into quite the predicament.  After stealing 20 million dollars' worth of diamonds, he needs Elizabeth's help protecting him from a group of violent and prominent crime bosses who will stop at nothing to get them back.  Elizabeth decides this sounds like the perfect job for the Thursday Night Murder Club and quickly enlists the help of the other members.  When Ibrahim is attacked in a phone mugging incident, Elizabeth once again reaches out for help, this time from members of the police force, Donna and Chris.  Together they resolve to get to the bottom of the diamond case but also seek vengeance on behalf of Ibrahim.

As the members have all been introduced in the first book in the series, the second book delves deeper into a more complex mystery that moves at a much quicker speed than its predecessor.  There are more hijinks, more danger, and the body count is higher as well.  This is all balanced out nicely with laughter, charm, comical wit, and the deepening of the bonds of friendships.  My love for the main characters continued to grow over the course of the second novel as we get to know more about their backstories and gain a deeper understanding of their personalities. The mystery itself is engaging and a fun puzzle to work out right alongside the members of the murder club.   The Man Who Died Twice is every bit as good, if not better, than the first in the series and leaves me eagerly anticipating the third installment.
5 stars for one of the best cast of characters

Even better than the debut! Now that the backstory for the Murder Club has been established in the first book we can concentrate on the plot, and what a caper it is! If you know Richard Osman from BBC panel shows, then you're familiar with his intelligent, dry sense of humor and that comes across so wonderfully in this second in the series. I loved the ridiculousness of it all too, ie mild mannered Joyce being described as a dark horse by her friends. I could hear Osman in my head explaining the humor and think he'd be excellent for the audiobook of the third in this series (there's going to be a third, right?).

You don't need to read the first to understand this book, but you should read it anyway. It's so much fun and it will enhance your enjoyment of the second.
The second installment in the Thursday Murder Club mystery series. A series of murders occur at Cooper’s Chase Retirement Village and residents Elizabeth, Joyce, Ron and Ibrahim get together again to solve them.  Filled with wit, humor and endearing characters. I liked it even more than The Thursday Murder Club. Highly recommend.
Thank you to NetGalley for providing me with an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Oh, what fun! I LOVED the first book in the series, and couldn't wait to get my hands on the second one, and it did not disappoint! While I think I enjoyed the mystery in the first book a little better than the mystery in the second one, I loved the addition of some new characters, the glimpse into Elizabeth's "former life", and the larger role that Bogdan had in this one. Somehow, Osman manages to create characters that you love to hate, hate to love, and who might do bad things, but they do them for good reasons, and that makes you love them even more. This book had all the same humor and heart that I expected after having read book one, and all I can say is that I'm counting down the days until the release of The Thursday Murder Club, Book Three!
The Thursday Murder Club is back, and more prepared than ever to handle the chaos that ensues.
Someone from Elizabeth's past pops up unannounced, bringing his baggage along with him (that baggage including a scheme and $20 million worth in diamonds). After a few incidents that make it impossible to resist the plot, Elizabeth, Joyce, Ron, and Ibrahim work together once again to solve the mystery.
I thought that the first one was good, but this one was better! It seems like Richard Osman is really coming into his voice, and this series is absolutely charming.
One noticeable difference from the two books is the number of POVs. The first book was all over the place, and it was a little jarring to have so many POVs in one book. This book, however, cuts it down and flows a bit better because of it.
I also think that both books do a great job with red herrings. I don't usually read mysteries, so it may be that, but I didn't see the end coming at all. As the story was unfolding, I kept thinking, "Yeah, that makes sense," then it would completely flip.
All in all, a great read!

Thank you to NetGalley and Pamela Dorman Books for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.
I'd love to live in the same retirement community with Elizabeth, Ron, Joyce, and Ibrahim, aka the Thursday Murder Club! Elizabeth, who was formerly an MI5 operative, is contacted by her ex-husband Douglas, who has stolen 20 million pounds worth of diamonds from a mafia operative. Douglas wants Elizabeth to help keep him safe, but when he is killed, it's up to Elizabeth and her senior cohorts to find the missing diamonds and nail the bad guys.
A delightful romp.
The Thursday Murder Club does not disappoint! Richard Osman thrills us and humors us with this amazing cast of characters once again, with twists and turns and fun that sophomore books don't often manage. I have recommended the first book in this series to just about everyone I know, and now that there is a second book as hilarious and well-written as the first, it will be even easier to recommend.
The second book of the series continues the humorous antics of the Thursday Murder Club. This story builds out on the characters as they attempt to solve murders, find missing diamonds, and figure out who has the missing drugs. Although the story has several humorous parts, the situations the club members find themselves in is hilarious. Like the first book, I found myself laughing out loud as the characters attempt to solve the mystery and deal with life in the social media age. Joyce’s diary entries are the highlights of the book!
Thank you NetGalley for an advance copy. Another great book by Richard Osman about our intrepid old folks. Looking forward to the next mystery.