Cover Image: The Photographer

The Photographer

This was a twisted but enjoyable read. The fact that it is written in 1st person makes it more compelling. We never truly get Delta's back story but she clearly hasn't dealt with her demons and has lost it as a result. I definitely recommend it!
It was an interesting thriller, but I just could not connect with the characters. I know that the point is that the main character is supposed to be disturbing, but I could not find anything likeable about her. And that is totally ok, this one just wasn't my favorite. It reminded me a lot of some Lifetime movies I've seen. I think if you're a fan of thrillers, you'll enjoy this one.
Delta Dawn is a photographer but she’s so much more. She’s a lurker, a creep, and most likely a sociopath. Listening to this audiobook was at times cringeworthy as it delved into Delta’s inner dialogue and her views not only on herself but on others. It wasn’t so much a pulse-pounding thriller but more of a deep dive into the brain of a very sick woman who ingratiates herself into the lives of a wealthy yet strained couple, exploiting their weaknesses and taking full advantage.

This is littered with unlikeable characters with the exception of Natalie, the child of the couple, and it shows the ugly side of relationships and those that will take advantage. Delta herself is able to take the ugliness she captures in photos and manipulate it into something completely different. Her mental instability is really what made this a compelling listen for me. Her justification for everything she did just made so much sense to her and as she ingratiates her way deeper into the lives of the Straub’s things begin to go south quickly under Delta’s slippery machinations.

This is a slow burn suspense that builds as the pages turn and created a subtle creepy sense of foreboding. I wasn’t quite sure how far Delta would take things and this left a lot of room for apprehension and speculation. Delta makes references to past relationships/friendships that have ended because of her behavior but I would have loved a bit more backstory on her.

The author, Mary Dixie Carter narrated and I think she did a superb job with all the characters but she really excelled at conveying Delta’s level of crazy. The remorseless inner dialogue that justified every hideous action with a level of normalcy was a tad chilling! Well done, Ms. Carter!

I’d highly recommend this to any fan of the genre!

Thank you Macmillan Audio for this ALC!
First of all, I loved the narration! The characters were a bit crazy but the way it was read made the thought process sound completely normal. The way she justifies inserting herself into families lives, the disturbing pictures, and the open ended conclusion to the story; it was all written so well. It had the right balance of character development and plot twists for me. Just the kind of thing I needed to get out of a reading slump. Thank you to the publisher and NetGalley for the opportunity to review the audiobook!
The Photographer is a twisted thriller about a photographer that will do anything to be part of the perfect family she is photographing. As a photographer, Delta edits pictures to make perfect memories, until one day she wants to be part of these perfect pictures. Delta babysits for the Straubs in hopes of becoming a permanent part of their family. I enjoyed getting into the twisted head of Delta. Delta soon realizes that the Straub family isn’t as picture perfect as they seem. The story is interesting and kept me engaged throughout the book. I recommend The Photographer to fans of thrillers with manipulative characters.

I listened to the audiobook narrated by Mary Dixie Carter and enjoyed her narration. I love when authors narrate their own books.

Thank you Minotaur and Macmillan Audio for The Photographer.

Thank you Minotaur and Macmillan Audio for The Photographer.
I love a book about obsession, so this psychological thriller was right up my alley! The Photographer follows Delta Dawn (yep, just like the song!) as she photographs the seemingly perfect lives of those around her in New York City. She not only captures the images, she also transforms them through photoshop by manipulating the pictures to portray the perfect image.

Things take the obsessive turn when Delta photographs Natalie Straub's 11th birthday party. Delta realizes she desperately wants to be part of the Staub's life and she quickly devises a plan to make it happen. She wins over Natalie, the mom, Ameila, and the father, Fritz. Before long she is inserting herself into all the nooks and crannies of the Staubes' lives. Especially once she catches wind that Amelia is desperately wanting another baby that she hasn't been able to conceive...

I enjoyed this debut thriller from Mary Dixie Carter. I also loved that she narrated the book herself! She was able to really capture Delta Dawn as a character and I found myself fully engrossed in the story, waiting for the next turn of Delta's obsession.
The Photographer
2/5 ⭐️

Thank you @netgalley and @macmillan.audio for the ARC! This was released this week on May 25.

🙈🙈🙈

Okay so this is the first time I have an ARC that I did not enjoy. This took me almost a full week to listen to which is very unusual for me. I just couldn’t get immersed in the story. I know it was supposed to be a thriller but I literally lol’d when she described her cat hating her. There was something about Delta that made her character laughable. She didn’t come across as creepy which I think was the intention, just strange and a little sad.

I knew where the plot was heading from the start and sadly it didn’t build any suspense from there. Oh and when the plot finally came to climax it quickly tied everything up and was done.

#thePhotographer #MaryDixieCarter #MacMillanAudio #netgalley #thriller #mystery #audiobook #arc #readingnow #listeningnow #newrelease #bookish #newbook #bookworm #booknerd #goodreads #bibliophile #nsbookstagrammer #canadianbookstagrammer
THE PHOTOGRAPHER is Mary Dixie Carter’s first book. It was a good and disturbing read. It is told in the voice of Delta Dawn, a photographer obsessed with a successful family. It gives you insight into how troubled she is and how far she will go to get what she wants. The story is a mix of ONE HOUR PHOTO by Mark Romanek and FATAL ATTRACTION by H.B. Gilmour. It is a well-written book that will make you wish you will never meet someone like Delta. I am looking forward to reading more books by this author.

Thank you, MACMILLAN AUDIO for granting me an audio copy for review.
Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for giving me the chance to read this book early! I want to start this review by saying this is a thriller that definitely requires you just go with it and don't think too critically. I'm rating based on entertainment, not plausibility or quality of writing.
This book is about Delta. She is a photographer that specializes in kids' birthdays. She takes pictures for the Straub's and their daughter, Natalie, and becomes involved with the family, babysitting and filling other unmet needs. We know from the beginning that she's got an agenda of some sort, but its never really clear what that agenda is. Even upon finishing the book, we know what happens, but her motivations are still unclear. She befriends the mom and dad (Amelia and Fritz) and intentionally manipulates them and their lives. There is more that happens, but not much. It's mostly just manipulation after manipulation and to what end? Again, we know the end point and what she gets out of it after reading it, but her motivations throughout were unclear. Perhaps that was intentional to keep us turning pages and engaged, but it ended up feeling repetitive and a little slow in the middle. This book isn't anything that you haven't read before, but it was short and fast and entertaining.

SPOILERS AHEAD:
Amelia and Fritz struggle with fertility and they're planning to adopt but Dawn gets the adoptive mom to back out and offers to be a surrogate for them. She gets pregnant and then says she loses the baby but actually goes on to raise him herself. She lied the whole time about having a son and created a whole imaginary life and I guess the goal was to get a baby and have a piece of the elite life?
I would up this more to 3 1/2-stars.
Highly enjoyable and definitely has suspense, but lost some points for lack of background info and some character/storyline develooment. Although I appreciated Mary Dixie Carter keeping it straight and sweet and getting straight to the point, I was missing a connection.

The PROS:
*Definitely a page turner. How or if Delta going to continue to up the game and keep herself immersed in the Straub's life kept me reading. I wanted to know what was next and how she was going to keep the lies going. Was she going to get more dangerous? *Liked that Delta appeared normal to the other characters but we as the reader got a glimpse into her twisted mind.

The CONS:
*I didn't quite get to know Delta. What made her like this. Was everything in her head made up or did she become this way due to something in her past. In the beginning it was good not to know, but as the book continued I would like a little more insight into why Delta was doing what she was doing.
*As Delta's lies caught up to her, the other characters started to question her but then seemed to let a lot go or the impact of figuring her out was just swept away.
*Natalie's friend Piper seemed to be a huge influence on Natalie and her behaviour in one scene and then just fell away like she didn't matter in the next. She got mentioned but her impact suddenly didn't seem important.
*Amelia. I just didn't see why Delta was so drawn to her. Her character felt a bit flat.
*A storyline with the garden apartment that never really got fully explored. It felt like there was going to be more there.
*Ending was predictable. Was expecting more. When it finished I said out loud "that's it?!"

Overall, I wasn't blown away by the suspense but it was an interesting and quick read which I appreciated.

Thank you to Macmillan Audio and NetGalley for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Looking for a new definition of “obsession”? This book offers it in spades. A young photographer is hired to photograph the Straub’s daughter’s birthday party. The Straubs are living the life that Delta has always dreamed of... beautiful house, rich friends, financial security, and all the extras that their riches can buy. She wants more from her own life, and soon starts to insert herself into their lives. She babysits, runs errands, becomes a confidante. And things start to get a bit twisty from there.

Narrated by the author, the story held my attention, but I wanted so much more. The characters felt a bit one-dimensional. And the story had the potential to become a strong psychological thriller, but fell flat for me.

Grateful to NetGalley and MacMillan Audio for the advanced audiobook version, in exchange for my honest review.
GOOD LORD. OH MY. THIS WAS... EPIC.

Plot
Delta is a photographer and she observes the seemingly perfect lives of New York city's elite. She snaps photos of children at their birthday parties and transforms these images into something she finds better. When Delta is hired to take pictures at Natalie Straub's she becomes obsessed with the family. She tries to make everything broken whole and change this family for the better. But what if what she thinks is better is actually worse?
And that's how Delta starts babysitting Natalie, as a way to get closer to the Straubs. And she succeeds in making herself the center of the family, to close that bridge between the family members without removing herself from the connection she has to pose a surrogate having already had a child. Amelia cannot have a baby, so Delta agrees to be a surrogate for her and her family. Although Amelia has just met Delta, they feel close and have an intimate connection. But little does Amelia know how messed up Delta really is.

I don't read a lot of Phycological thrillers but this has my stamp of approval (whatever that's worth)

Delta
The First-person perspective drove me crazy. I kept searching the author up to see if she was mentally OK because honestly the first-person perspective was done so perfectly well that I'm freaked out. But at the end of the audiobook, there was an author interview that I was so thankful for because honestly, I was a bit worried. Delta was a... what's the word for it, a CRAZY character. She is so...WOW. I mean she gets pregnant for a person she barely knows for the reason that she wants to be cared for and loved and fussed over like a pregnant woman. I guess that doesn't sound like much but the connection she yearns for with the people she doesn't even know that much is so intense and scary. AND HER ACTING? I am convinced that she is a psychopath. The way she manipulates and uses people was just...WOW. But other than that, I loved seeing her perspective of the world especially since she's a phenomenal photographer and addresses everything in the environment.

Amelia, Natalie, Fritz
Nonononononononononoooono! That's me throughout the whole book. I feel so bad for this family and the way it's being manipulated. Amelia is a horrible mom to Natalie. Delta takes up that mom role even though she's crazy (this is where the acting comes in) and kind of ruins Natalie forever. But anyways Fritz and Amelia and horrible parents that neglect their child, but you know what, they still didn't deserve what happened to them in the end.

Overall
Overall this was a fun, crazy book that has thought me not to trust anyone. No matter how kind and friendly they are.

Thank you to Netgalley, the publishers, and Macmillan audio for sending an Acr my way in exchange for an honest review.

~Till Next Time!
📚 Ꮢҽαԃ σ⨍⨍ ɾҽαԃҽɾട! 📚
I wanted to love this one, but it is way too slow and the narrator is too dry and monotone. I wasn't loving it, so I gave up after trying to force myself through it over several weeks.
This one was a bit disappointing for me. I was hoping there was going to be some big reason for Delta's behavior but I was disappointed when there wasn't a resolution. The whole concept for me was just a bit weird after not having some huge reveal that I hadn't already figured out. Might be an okay read for someone who doesn't read thrillers a lot.
Although others have described this as a slow burn, I wouldn't necessarily characterize it that way because I felt like this moved pretty fast and really captured my interest. I love a narrator that you cant quite trust because they're going to lead you down a psychological maze and this was definitely one of those narrators for me. I can only describe the main character as deeply disturbed, obsessive, and manipulative. She really didn't have many redeeming qualities but she was a villain I was excited to watch work her magic. I do wish we had got more of her backstory and why she was as disturbed as she was overall I liked her story. The ending was both surprising and unsurprising to me in different ways but I was satisfied for the most part. Parts of this are definitely unbelievable but I don't read fiction for believability so I enjoyed it. Thank you to Minotaur and Mary Dixie Carter for my gifted copy, provided through NetGalley.
The author did a really good job with the writing of this debut. Unfortunately it fell short for me because of the plot. I think that specific plot is overused. The ending was predictable while the actions leading up to it weren’t believable. Overall, it was a quick read that was just okay but I will check out this author’s next books!

Thank you to the tagged publisher and @netgalley for providing a free advanced copy of this audiobook in exchange for an honest review.
I really loved this book!! It had so many twists and turns. It kept me on the edge of my seat wondering what was going to happen next!! This was my first book by this Author, and it won’t be the last!! Quick read!! Highly recommended!! You won’t be disappointed!!
The Photographer is an unsettling Psychological thriller. Delta is a lonely, delusional stalker. She becomes obsessed with Amelia and her family. She wants to BE their family. She doesn’t only manipulate the photographs she takes of them but she insets herself in their everyday life. Going as far as becoming a surrogate for Amelia and her husband.

While their were parts that intrigued me and many that shocked me (Delta was BOLD), nothing really surprising happened; it ended exactly how I expected it to; no big surprise or twist in my opinion.

Narration was ok; the parts of Amelia sounded really overdone (overly dramatic).
The Photographer is Mary Dixie Carter's debut thriller. I listened to this as an audiobook and thought it was cool that Mary was the narrator. She did an excellent job narrating and bringing the characters to life.

I found the concept to be interesting and creepy. I wish that I had understood more of the psyche behind why Delta was so obsessed with the Straub's. I do think that it was more stalkery and obsessive than I had anticipated.

CW: miscarriage, parental neglect, stalking

Thanks to NetGalley and Macmillan Audio for providing me with an advanced listening copy in exchange for an honest review
The narrator can make or break an audiobook.  I have listened to some excellent author-narrator audiobooks, and this is not one of them.  When listening to normal speed, the narrator was slow and plundering.  I had to boost the playback speed to 1.75x to approximate normal speaking rhythms (still a little fast, but much better).  It compromised the quality of the audio, but at least I finished the book as I would not have lasted that long with the normal playback speed.

As to the book, I am glad to see that so many people enjoyed this creepy, psychological thriller.  I, however, am not one of them.  I thought the concept of the novel and the development of the characters were interesting, but the plot didn't grab me.  I pretty certain I feel asleep listening to it and missed a chuck of the story, but didn't care enough to go back and fill in the story.