Cover Image: The Dangers of an Ordinary Night

The Dangers of an Ordinary Night

I got this book early as an advanced readers copy and WOW. I literally could not put this book down, I was entranced by the characters and the storyline! It wasn't like anything I've read before.The ending was literally a shocker. I highly, highly, recommend.
I am a huge fan of thrillers and expected to enjoy this, however, I didn't really 'click' with the characters as I thought I would, and found it a bit too slow paced.
The summary when I read sounded interesting to me that I was glad that Netgalley and Crooked Lane gave me an opportunity to read this novel. But unfortunately, this is not my cup of tea.

Plot:- Two girls Tali and June goes missing after auditioning for a play. They are both best friends. Few days later, the two girls were found--Tali is disorientated and seemed to be traumatized while June is pronounced dead. Nell, Tali's mother is bent down in protecting the well being of her daughter while her husband Zeke is suspected for the case and meanwhile, the school where Tali and June are attending is holding a secret.

Writing:- The plot as I said earlier was interesting, prompting me to want to read this book. The first few chapters were good but then soon, it got boring that I almost DNF the book. I am usually one of those people who don't DNF books as I would continue to read to finish the book. The pace was slow which was a negative thing about the book and I felt there was a bit too much talking and not much OMG moments. However, the ending was OK in my opinion--bit predictable but nonetheless it was OK.

Characters:- I am not sure what I can say about the characters but Nell might be probably one of the favorites.

Overall:- It's a slow burn I have to say and for those who like slow paced thriller books, then this might be the one for you. But I prefer fast paced thrillers so I will pass out.

Thank you Netgalley and Crooked Lane Publishers for the ARC. The review is based on my honest opinion only.
The Dangers of an Ordinary Night by Lynne Reeves is a very highly recommended character driven domestic thriller.

Best friends Natalie (Tali) Carrington and June Danforth, both seventeen, are kidnapped after auditioning for a play at the Performing Arts High School of Boston. Two days later they are found south of Boston on Watties Beach. Tali is covered with cuts, bruises, and disoriented while June is dead from exposure. Tali's mother Nell blames her father, Zeke, who didn't notice that Tali never came home, but Zeke who has repeatedly let his family down with his gambling addiction has other issues that Nell should have noticed in this dysfunctional family. Therapist Cynthia (Cyn) Rawlins is there to help Tali and her family deal with the kidnapping and aftermath. Detective Fitz Jameson has personal insight into the case and suspects more is going on in the Carrington home and at the school.

The novel opens with June trying to escape someone and what leads to her death, so you know the person responsible seems to know June. When the two young women are found, the real mystery begins to be uncovered. There is a complexity and emotional depth underlying every character and all these people are experiencing and/or trying to recover from some trauma. The characters are all flawed. They may not all be especially likeable, but they all resemble real people and therefore are relatable in many ways. Cyn and Fitz are especially sympathetic characters. Nell also elicits an empathetic response, even if the choices she makes will not be understandable to all readers.

The writing is excellent, confident and layered. The plot is even paced while the clues and additional information work together to create a complex picture of a mystery and the complex individuals who are a part of the incident and the resolution. Each of the 27 chapters are given the titles from 27 plays, tying the plot into the theater, the Performing Arts High School, and the students. I found this to be a compelling domestic thriller which I enjoyed immensely from start to finish. 4.5 rounded up.

Disclosure: My review copy was courtesy of Crooked Lane Books via NetGalley.
The review will be published on Barnes & Noble, Edelweiss, Google Books, and Amazon.

Wow!  The ending was not one that I anticipated.

Two friends from a fine arts school go missing after a play.  An investigation ensues after they are found--only one is alive.

The parents have a convoluted history.  Lots of suspects.
What happened to Tali and June that night?  June is dead and  Tali can't remember, totally, so her mom hires family therapist Cynthia to help her while Fitz, the detective looks for answers.  There are lots of secrets and lies.  While this starts as a tale of teens, it's really more about the adults, the fathers, in particular,  I liked the interaction between Fitz and Cyn- they make a good team.  You, like me, might be surprised by the ending.  Thanks to Netgalley for the ARC.  A good read.
The overall storyline is right up my alley, but I was not a fan of this book. It started slow, and the writing was a little too "theater" for me (if that makes sense). The structure of the book, as well as some of the storylines, aren't needed. I also think it was prolonged and a little dull. It took some effort to keep reading, but I just wanted to know what actually happened. Thank you, NetGalley.
This was an excellent mystery novel telling the story of a prestigious school and its students and their parents, in light of the disappearance and murder of one of the students. The overachieving ambition is literally a malady affecting a great part of parents these days, and this book was an excellent example of that.
Excellent story! Totally engrossing!.  Looking forward to reading more by this author! Could not put this down!
I’m afraid that this book was not for me. There is a double kidnapping and a possible murder, but the procedural aspect of the case is not important at all and could have been told in two chapters. The novel is more about the lives and thoughts of a cast of characters that I didn’t like or relate to. Readers who enjoy a lot of dialogue and background about the characters may enjoy it, but it was not the kind of novel I like.
I chose to read this book and all opinions in this review are my own and completely unbiased. Thank you, NetGalley/ Crooked Lane Books!
The Dangers of an Ordinary Night is a domestic drama set in the Boston area. The main characters are a young Irish policeman, a psychiatrist, and a family suffering from a recent trauma.

The summary of this book set it up as much more dramatic than it actually is. It set it up as a more HBO-esque drama - two girls go missing - two days later, they are found - one is alive and one is dead. What actually happens is much more about stage parents and multiple suspects and PTSD and bad parenting.

It's honestly....kind of boring. The last few chapters are rather rushed and left me unsatisfied. I wanted something else. I wanted a better twist or a better ending for everyone. I wanted something grittier.

Thanks to NetGalley and the publishers for the opportunity to read and review this book.
Unfortunately this book had expired on my app before I got the chance to read and review it. I was looking forward to reading this, the concept sounded great and I like the cover. Will read this book one day for sure.
The first part held my attention more than the second half. It definitely had a lot more potential but over all it was a decent read. I did skim a bit toward the end
There are many types of addiction and looking at how it affects those around us is such a powerful thing. Not everything ends in tragedy, but it will definitely take a piece of you with it.
"Once someone lies to you, it's impossible to know when you're telling the truth."

A psychological suspense that harbors dark secrets in a little town south of Boston. This coming of age adheres to an investigation of the lives of high performing students stirring up guilt and regret impacting everyone's lives. As some advocate for others, they soon lose their own voice for themselves. The writer, as nom de plume, opens up to different cohorts with her main objection revealing the impact of addiction on a family. It will leave you in the depth of what people encounter beyond the addiction, who it effects and especially the caretakers who will sacrifice everything for some normalcy.

After an audition for a play at the Performing Arts High School of Boston, Tali and her friend go missing. When found, only Tali is alive while June is dead by the water's edge. Tali's story comes in bits and pieces of her memory with the consideration whether or not drugs are involved with the memory of being kidnapped. The investigation discovers a wide range of characters are involved, which is scandalous, deceptive and at what cost will love ones protect their own.

The story has a deep twist while some of the story became difficult to grasp, it was an overall depiction of our youth today...the influence, the lost compass and family deterioration.

Thanks NetGalley and Crooked Lane for this ARC in exchange for my honest review.
This is my first novel by Lynne Reeves.

I was intrigued by the premise of the book, and it had a good start.  However, I found that it didn’t really hold my attention as I would have liked – the ending fell a bit flat.

It wasn’t that the book/story were bad – I think it’s a great beach read if you’re looking for that.  My main qualm stems from the fact that the story really doesn’t have any likeable characters which is probably why it didn’t really hold my attention.

Thank you to NetGalley, Crooked Lane Books and Lynne Reeves for the opportunity to review this ARC.  This review and all opinions are my own.
I will be really giving this book 2 1/2 stars....

Lynne Reeves' newest work, The Dangers of an Ordinary Night, takes place during the fall in Boston, where Detective Fitz Jameson is trying to find out who attacked two young girls, leaving one dead and another injured with no strong memory of the assault  The injured girl (Tali) goes home to her mother, Nell, and her gambling father, Zeke, seemingly almost unscathed by the experience, which troubles her parents, leading them to seek the help of Cynthia Rawlins, a on-the-way-out therapist, who has a sordid past of her own.  The novel ultimately becomes a procedural that leads the detective and the therapist on a chase to find out who did it and why.

Reeves' work is easy to read and it has its moments, most especially nearer to the end, but ultimately The Dangers of an Ordinary Night is a bit standard, with characters that have names coming straight out of old-school B film-noir.  The dialogue is sometimes weak and there are character storylines that don't seem to go anywhere.; plus, I am not sure why this play at the Performing Arts High School in Boston is treated like the audiences are about see Hamilton...but I would say that overall, the novel is harmless enough and good for audiences looking for a light read in the middle of the night, just before dozing off.       .    .
𝙍𝙀𝙑𝙄𝙀𝙒

THE DANGERS OF AN ORDINARY NIGHT
Author: Lynne Reeves

#gifted by @netgalley in exchange for an honest review
pub date: 9 November 2021

⚠️ CW: death, drugs, toxic relationships

"𝓞𝓷𝓬𝓮 𝓼𝓸𝓶𝓮𝓸𝓷𝓮 𝓵𝓲𝓮𝓼 𝓽𝓸 𝔂𝓸𝓾, 𝓲𝓽'𝓼 𝓲𝓶𝓹𝓸𝓼𝓼𝓲𝓫𝓵𝓮 𝓽𝓸 𝓴𝓷𝓸𝔀 𝔀𝓱𝓮𝓷 𝓽𝓱𝓮𝔂'𝓻𝓮 𝓽𝓮𝓵𝓵𝓲𝓷𝓰 𝓽𝓱𝓮 𝓽𝓻𝓾𝓽𝓱"

𝙎𝙔𝙉𝙊𝙋𝙎𝙄𝙎:
Two best friends, June Danforth and Tali Carrington, go missing after leaving the Performing Arts High School of Boston. Two days later, Tali is found disoriented and traumatized and June is dead.

𝙈𝙔 𝙊𝙋𝙄𝙉𝙄𝙊𝙉:
First of all, LOVE this cover! Boston is one of my favorite American cities so I loved that that's where the story took place.

I myself am a fan of most arts so I really liked the fact that music, and especially theater, played such an important role in this story (teeny tiny spoiler alert: the book is even divided in acts instead of parts).

I was pleased that my guess was correct and the person I suspected for most of the story was the one behind what happened to Jane. Not a lot of people will enjoy the predictability of that aspect but I don't always guess "who did it" so I did enjoy that.

While I can't say I completely loved this book I liked it for the most part, it's a good story about flaws and guilt and how everyone is a little messed up and will sometimes do things they can't take back.

#TheDangersofanOrdinaryNight #NetGalley #bookreview
The blurb sounded really gripping which is why I requested it but despite a good start it didn't really keep my attention as much as I'd like. It was OK but wouldn't rush to read it again. The ending fell a little bit flat despite all the build up.
The plot itself at first started out okay but the ending fell flat for me. There didn't really seem to be a rhyme or a reason as to why one of the girls ended up dying. Thanks to Netgalley and the publishers for the advanced digital copy in exchange for an honest review. I will definately be trying another book by this author as this was my first.