Cover Image: Better to Trust

Better to Trust

I love watching medical dramas so I was interested in reading one. Better to Trust was intense and emotional. I found this to be an inspiring read but I do wish that the ending was a little different. But if you're looking for a medical and family drama, check this out.
An intense story that takes you on an emotional journey. A lot of drama and definitely an interesting read.
Thanks to NetGalley for a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Better to Trust is a novel that packs a lot, from complex family relationships, issues about mortality, drug addiction, and sexual identity that will keep you engrossed in this dual time line novel told in multiple voices.

This nurse is very happy reading this medical fiction drama that address tough topics in the most tender and heartwarming immersive read.
This book hit incredibly close to home for me as I found myself reliving my caregiving days for my dad after his stroke. Right side affected, aphasia, the extensive rehab and therapy sessions. It's all there along with the family issues, medical decisions, the uncertainty of what life will look like in the future, and living with the complications of misplaced trust. This story takes the reader on the arduous journey of recovery for the patient and the emotional impact on everyone involved. It's a scary yet amazing process and I thought the author did a fabulous job of portraying the humanity and reality of life after a major medical event.
Do you enjoy a good medical drama?⁣
⁣
I've always loved books with medical plotlines and dramatic hospital shows like ER and Grey’s - they're always equally fascinating and entertaining!⁣
⁣
And once again Heather Frimmer takes you on another thought-provoking medical-centered ride of a story. It’s written impeccably and flows like the perfect breeze - and has everything a reader could ask for.⁣
⁣
There’s drug addiction and brain surgery, to teenage angst, sisterly bonds, and divorce. You’ve got questions of sexuality and self-worth, malpractice lawsuits and medical struggles, and yes - a whole lot of trust issues. ⁣
… did I miss anything?!⁣
⁣
Better to Trust is a cleverly structured multiple POV account of a year in the life of a family who goes through so, so much - all centered around Alison’s brain surgery. At times I was SO frustrated by some of the characters choices, but at the end of the day, I always rooted for Alison. And by the end of this year-long roller coaster of secrets and lies, you’ll definitely want to hug your family a little tighter.
Special thanks to NetGalley and the author for a free, electronic ARC of this novel received in exchange for an honest review.
Expected publication date: September 21, 2021
After Alison Jacobs collapses while at work and is rushed to the hospital she receives grave news- she has a complicated clot in her brain and she needs extensive and risky brain surgery in order to remove it. With this on their minds Alison and her husband must decide if they want to risk the surgery, or risk the effects of Alison’s clot bursting unexpectedly. Luckily for Alison, her brother-in-law, Grant, is a renowned neurosurgeon and, reluctantly going against medical protocol, Grant decides to take on Alison’s case. After a mistake during surgery leaves Alison in grave condition, and an accident with Grant’s daughter leaves a friend injured, Grant is soon in front of his colleagues and friends being questioned on more than his ethics in treating Alison. Alison is now changed forever and it seems that Grant is at fault- can Alison ever recover? And if so, will she be able to forgive Grant?
Radiologist and writer Heather Frimmer’s new novel, “Better to Trust” is a compelling and emotional journey through brain injury and recovery, addiction, responsibility, and forgiveness. “Trust” is only Frimmer’s second novel (her first being “Bedside Manners”) but in my opinion, Frimmer has found her niche!
The novel is told over the timespan of approximately one year, from the time before Alison’s injury to the time after. It is told in reverse order, and narrated from the perspectives of Alison and Grant (with some sections taken over by Grant’s daughter, Sadie). As complicated as this sounds, Frimmer’s plot flows beautifully and is easy to follow, introducing the tension of the novel in a slow simmer.
Frimmer’s portrayals of recovery (both in Alison’s and Grant’s case) are poignant and truthful. So honest and frank, both characters generate every level of emotional connection with the reader, through all of the ups and downs. Right from the beginning, I rooted for Alison and although it took a little longer for me to warm up to Grant, I was able to empathize with him by the end of the novel.
The heartwarming ending will leave an indelible mark, combined with Frimmer’s realistic characters and well-researched (and experienced) medical knowledge, “Better to Trust” is a story that has me excited for Frimmer’s next work.
Linda’s Book Obsession Reviews “Better to Trust” by Heather Frimmer, Wyatt-Mackenzie Publishing, 2021, On Tour with Suzy Approved Book Tours  Heather Frimmer, Author of “Better to Trust” has written an intriguing, captivating, intense, and thought-provoking novel. The author has written a contemporary novel with many controversial issues. I appreciate the research and the way that the author uses several characters to vividly describe the situations. The Genres for this Book are Medical Fiction, Domestic Family Fiction, and Fiction. The timeline for this story is in the present and goes to the past when it pertains to the characters and events. The author describes her characters as complex, complicated, and flawed. There are betrayals, and secrets. This is a story about trust, family dynamics, forgiveness, second chances, and self-growth.  When there are serious problems, would most people turn to their families for help and advice? What if there is a life-threatening situation, and a family member is a well-known and distinguished surgeon? Alison Jacobs requires brain surgery and her brother-in-law, Grant is an esteemed neurosurgeon. Alison and her husband put their trust in Grant. Grant, himself is possibly not aware that he is addicted to drugs. To keep on task, Grant takes a specific medication that is prescribed for him, but he tweaks the treatment to feel less nervous. Alison, herself has a big secret and is doubting her relationships. Alison is not sure of herself and is certainly not in a position to decide anything. when she has a life-threatening situation.  Grant’s daughter Sadie brings a new friend to their house, which causes a major problem. The friend is not from her usual group of friends, and Sadie seems to trust her.  Heather Frimmer has written a heartfelt, memorable, and thought-provoking story that I highly recommend for all readers.
I read this book in one day. I usually reserve books that I read in one day to thrillers and almost due library books (you’ve all been there with that one), but this family drama with a side dose of medical fiction was too good to put down.

This book deals with a lot of hot topics such as addiction to prescription drugs, sexual orientation, family dynamics, and teenage peer pressure.

Each character made individual small decisions that became big impacts on a lot of lives. I think for me that aspect of the book was what made this one such an engrossing read.

This book is told in three points of view: Allison, Grant, and Sadie and is told over the course of a year (2019). The time does go back and forth so some of the drama is happening in real time while other parts are what happened prior in the year.

Allison is an active elementary school teacher. She passes out at school and it’s discovered she has a serious issue with her brain that eventually could be fatal. And side note..Allison has feelings for a female colleague.

Grant is Allison’s brother-in-law and is one of the area’s top neurosurgeons. He also has an addiction to prescription drugs.

Sadie is Grant’s teenage daughter. She gets mixed up with a new friend at school, Piper, that is trouble.

Allison, her husband Michael, and Allison’s sister, Cynthia want Grant to perform Allison’s surgery which is ethically a pretty gray area for Grant.

I’ll let you read the book to see how the drama unfolds.

I think this would make a great book club read as the characters and plot details lend itself to some lively discussions and there is some guided questions in the back to prompt discussion.
This book took.a lot for me to finish.
I just didn't feel the connection and made it hard to pull through. The ending was just...Nothing more.
Time lines are easy to follow.
Not all books are for everyone..  though it didn't work for my reading pleasure doesn't mean you shouldn't read it.

Thanks to the author, the publisher NetGalley for an early release of this book.
Allison is struggling to trust her sisters husband to perform brain surgery on her as he is the best neurosurgeon in this type of tumor, he is struggling with a pill addiction. Affairs, secrets and darkness follow this group. Will Allison be able to survive her surgery and live the life she wants.
What a dramatic premise for a novel! The moral dilemmas come thick and fast for almost every character, and none of them have simple answers, so I kept turning the pages late into the night to find out how things would work out. I don't think it's a spoiler to say that things resolved themselves in satisfying, though not always predictable ways. This would make an excellent book club book, with plenty of scope for discussion. And those who like well-developed characters with plenty of growth potential will find it compelling too.
Better To Trust, by Heather Frimmer, tackles some immensely tough topics: drug abuse, family angst,  medical drama, love, and most of all trust. And she does it flawlessly.

I raced through this book. Would it be tied up with a pretty bow? Would it be as honest and heartwarming and perfect as the beginning and middle?  I was not disappointed!

If you're looking for a remarkable medical fiction read, keep an eye out for this book that releases in September.

I received a copy of this book from Netgalley. This is my honest review.
I enjoyed this read, thank you for sending! Glad we got multiple POVs as it was such a layered story.
This book was good. Not great, but good. I normally don't mind a dual timeline but for this story, I wasn't sold on it. It was very close together timeline wise and I wasn't 100% sure why Heather Frimmer incorporated it into the story line. I did like the secondary characters and their growth throughout the book- essentially showing that everyone has crazy moments in their life sometimes and those moments tend to pile up at the worst time. I like Alison's decisions through the book and felt that was necessary for her growth as well. Again, good book and I flew through it. No real arc or climatic event but not every book needs that.
Better to Trust follows the lives of three characters, and their respective struggles, told in alternating timelines, two (Grant and his daughter, Sadie) leading up to and during the primary source of tension in this novel and one (Grant’s sister in law, Alison) during and towards the end until all three of them converge.

I personally enjoyed the style in which this story is written and having the opportunity to see it unfold from three differing perspectives as well as the alternating timelines.
The ending wasn't that satisfying and I wanted to go deeper into the relationships that changed over the course of the book in the end. The experience of re-negotiating your sexuality is something that I wanted the book to go a little bit deeper on, but even just including the experience of the character is wonderful representation.
I enjoyed Heather Frimmer's first book Bedside Manners and was anxious to read her sophomore novel. I wasn't disappointed and enjoyed it more than her first. Her two novels revolve around hospitals and health issues and are emotional stories that give her readers a lot to think about. It's told by three characters and various time periods and I didn't think the switches between characters and time periods were difficult to follow. In fact using three characters to tell the story gives the readers a chance to truly understand the issues.

Alison is a teacher who passed out at school and is rushed to the hospital where they find a growth in her brain. She needs surgery and begs her brother - in - law Grant to do the surgery. Even before this event, Alison and her husband are dealing with problems in their marriage as she is having an affair with a female teacher. We see Alison as a healthy woman who takes care of herself become a person unable to talk or walk.

Grant is a world-renowned neurosurgeon and an expert in treating Alison's condition. He is married to Alison's sister and they have one daughter, Sadie. He is hiding a secret from his family and collogues -- his addiction to prescription pills. It is apparent that his addiction negatively affected Alison's brain surgery but is that enough for him to change?.

Sadie is angry at her parents and starts making some poor decisions and hanging out with a girl at school that's pushing her risky situations to another level. She manages to get herself into some tricky situations that end up affecting her entire family.

This novel about love and family and forgiveness is a real page turner. All of the main characters have major decisions to make that will greatly affect their lives in the future. Will they all make the right decisions and become a family again or will past mistakes keep them estranged? This family drama grabbed my attention from the first page when Alison is working to regain her strength in physical rehab. She was fighting hard to bring her life back to normal and has to make a big decision about her sexuality. Grant has to decide if he can make changes to bring his life back to normal without pills and Sadie needs to decide if she wants to stay on the same path of risky behavior or go back to the person she was before. Will these characters be able to forgive each other and more importantly themselves?

Thanks to netgallery for a copy of this book to read and review.
Thnak you Netgalley for providing me an ARC of this book

This was an unusual story, written around three characters (Alison, her brother-in-law Grant, and his daughter Sadie) and two timelines leading up to and following Alison’s brain surgery. It is part mystery, part family drama, and all emotional.

I enjoyed this switch between past and present; a useful tool to amp up the tension, and written well enough that we are never confused, at any point, about who we are reading about or when in their life.

I also enjoyed reading these characters’ perspective on things - which is different from liking them; they’re not particularly likeable people. Especially Alison, whose struggle with her sexuality was really easy to relate to, making her a sympathetic character regardless of the obvious moral wrong-doing.

However, the novel does drag on - it could stand to cut out a lot to give us a tighter narrative. I nearly DNFed a third of the way through because of that, but continued in case it picked up along the way. Sadly, it did not for me. The ending, as other reviews have pointed out, also left much to be desired.

Nonetheless, thanks to NetGalley and the publishers for this eARC.
I enjoyed this book because of the interesting plot line which felt very realistic. It did stress me out a little as to how probable the story was and I totally felt... (contd) https://fashionandfrappes.com/my-june-reads-everything-i-read-in-june-2021/
The question on many people's minds is how do you deal with loss. Not just loss of another person but loss of someone who is forever changed. We rely on family and trusted friends to help us make life changing decisions. But at what point must we be totally responsibly for our own decisions.

That's what this book is about a decision that maybe could have been made differently.
Yes, it does get a little confusing switching from the now to the past. But the more you read the more it makes sense. It sort of explains the right and the wrong decisions and the pressure we put on ourselves and others.

I can't even begin to imagine how difficult this was to write especially from three characters point of views. I found the story truly inspirational.

Rejection is a normal human emotion when we as a person feel less than ourselves. When you have to rebuild from scratch its normal to push those closest away. I admit I had a hard time reading this as it mirrored my own experience. I also need to praise the author for the accuracy of her narrative. Being on the receiving end does affect who you are but what is not apparent at the time is the others who are also affected by what's happened. And for that I must give the author even further praise. Sometimes truth levels the playing field despite truth usually hurts.

I have to ask?  is there going to be a sequel. I feel that the Alison and Becca story has further mileage in them. There is still a story to be told.

Yes, I would recommend this book.

Enjoy!

*ARC provided by publisher via NetGalley*