Cover Image: Half of a Whole

Half of a Whole

It seemed to me this book was more about Marilyn’s relationship with her mother than her twin brother, at least it was more interesting to me. Unfortunately, i also have a strained relationship with my mother so i can definitely relate. Sometimes the kindest thing you can do for yourself is stay away from toxic people, even if they are family.   It felt like Marilyn finally got some peace from the relationship with her mother and brother.

Also enjoyed the description of the family farm. Brought back lots of memories of growing up on a farm.

There were a few places that I felt confused or out of the loop or some more explanations were needed but perhaps it’s the uncorrected copy. All in all a nice memoir. Thanks to NetGalley for allowing me to read this book.
Found this book quite boring to be honest. Not my cup of tea. I downloaded it with high hopes, but the writing was sort of dry and once I put it down, I didn't feel like picking it up.
Half of a Whole explores the intimate bond between a twin brother and sister, the cruel consequences that occur when one of them becomes mentally ill, and the courage required to break away when love is not enough. I was really emotionally drawn to this book and the topic of mental health. A very emotional story that will rip your heart.
This is very hard to follow. I was not a fan. Some may like it, I did not. It did not read well. I really wanted to like it more.
I received an advance copy of, Half of a Whole, by Marilyn Peterson Haus.  Having a family member with a mental illness, is not usually talked about.  This book tells the story of mental illness within a family.
Half of a Whole has a lot of pent up emotions. I enjoyed reading about the author’s life on a farm in Minnesota. I really enjoyed all the family history she shared. The second half of the book turns into a much different story: family fractures, disagreements, hurt feelings. The author struggled to have a good relationship with her mother, who seemed to favor her twin brother, who dealt with mental illness. It was an interesting read.