Cover Image: Murder Most Festive

Murder Most Festive

My attention is alway caught with a mystery book blurb that includes a Golden Age time period and a manor house setting. Set in 1938 Sussex at Christmas time Lady Westbury, her husband and three adult children have gathered with some friends at Westbury Manor. It should be a festive time but it all hits a snag when one of their guests is found shot to death. The kicker is he lies in the snow and there is only one set of footprints. A classic locked room mystery, written by many authors over the decades and they are always fun as is this one.
The standard characters are present - the Upper Crust and the rest, the local police (for netter or worse) and the amateur ready to suss out the killer. All good fun with a nice puzzle to get the reader in the holiday mood. I have added A Stage for Death (October 2022) to my very long TBR list.
My thanks to the publisher Poisoned Pen Press and to NetGalley for giving me an advance copy in exchange for my honest review.
What a fun, exciting story! I enjoyed the characters and the story line. The story flowed nicely and it had me reading until the end in a day! I highly recommend this book!

Thank you for letting me review this book
The Golden Age, a secluded estate, a house full of guests for the holidays, and murder...it's the perfect cozy mystery to read while snuggly under the blanket. I enjoyed it very much.

Many thanks to the publisher, Poisoned Pen Press and NetGalley for an advance copy of this book. My thoughts and opinions are my own and without bias or favor or expectation.
This is a perfect cozy read for this Christmas. It mixes all things I love to read about, England, mysteries, the 30’s & everyone stuck in a location due to bad weather. The writing is rich & flows really well & kept my interest. I loved the setting & there’s enough suspects/characters to keep you guessing. It may not be all that original in it’s plotting but I read it for it’s familiar story vibes & I definitely got them. On a cold night, make a tea, grab a blanket & cozy up with this book! Loved it 😊
This is a good mystery that uses a classic set-up of a group of people stuck in a house for Christmas as one of them ends up dead. The author is good at creating believable characters that each have flaws, and the diverse group means it’s not clear who the killer is.

I especially liked the character of Hugh, a kind of bumbling amateur detective who tries to get to the bottom of the killing.

The wintery setting adds to the atmosphere and it’s a great book to curl up with on a cold day.
I was looking forward to this cosy mystery but sadly the style of writing jarred from the start. The characters also came across as larger than life and I just could not relate. I skipped a lot and yes, I was even correct about the murderer.

I am sure (I checked a couple of other reviews) that there are many who will enjoy this style and series but it's just not my cup of tea.

With thanks to #Netgalley, Poisoned Pen Publishers and the author for an advanced reader copy in exchange for an honest review.
Many thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for a digital ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review. What a fun read. I highly recommend reading this the week between Christmas and the New Year. It's a nice, neat, conventional romp through all the tropes you'd want in a country house murder: local village, houseguests, bickering siblings, the holidays, upstairs/downstairs, the amateur detective, bad weather, blackmail, and betrayal. Lydia, set to inherit a fortune from her godfather is horrified when he is found dead on Christmas Day. Everyone believes it's a suicide but Lydia persuades Hugh Gaveston otherwise. It's a fun read for those who love English country villages, the Golden Age of detective work, and murder mysteries!
The perfect cozy mystery for the winter season! I loved the spooky atmosphere of the secluded house and the search for the elusive killer! Will definitely be re-reading this for Christmas!
Sigh,  It's Christmas 1938 and there's a house party at Westbury Manor.  Someone has murdered David Campbell Scott,. who made his fortune off the backs of rubber workers and others- and made it look like suicide.  Hugh, another guest, decides to investigate using knowledge he's gained from reading magazines,  This had potential- the setting, the time frame, the guests, the mystery- but it fell flat for me.  It's arch, which is usually ok, but it also is a tad overwritten.  Thanks to Netgalley for the ARC.
A well developed story and plot. Interesting characters. This book reminded me of an Agatha Christie novel. Enjoyed it! Thanks #netgalley and #PoisonedPenPress for the eARC in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are mine.
#MurderMostFestive
#AdaMoncrieff
I started reading this as soon as i got approved for the arc, but unfortunately it was a dnf for me. I found the prose to be very unnecessarily difficult, almost as if it was trying to sound smart and that got me a bit annoyed. I think many people would love this story, it's a great concept, it just wasn't for me.
I received this book for free for an honest review from netgalley #netgalley

What a fun festive murder! I think this is a stand alone but I didn't mind it was a great story.
"The perfect cozy Christmas murder mystery.

Imagine being stuck indoors with your family, waiting for something to happen... and then disaster strikes.

Christmas 1938. The Westbury family and assorted friends have gathered together for another legendary Christmas at their Sussex mansion. As family tensions simmer on Christmas Eve, the champagne flows, the silver sparkles and upstairs the bedrooms are made up ready for their occupants. But one bed will lie empty that night...

Come Christmas morning, guest David Campbell-Scott is found lying dead in the snow, with only a hunting rifle lying beside him and one set of footprints leading to the body. But something doesn't seem right to amateur sleuth Hugh Gaveston. Campbell-Scott had just returned from the East with untold wealth - why would he kill himself? Hugh sets out to investigate... and what he finds is more shocking than he ever could have expected."

Sigh, I love me some murder for the holiday season...
Squabbling siblings and close family friends desend on the family manor for Christmas celebration in 1939. One of the honored guests, recently returned from overseas, takse his own life on Christmas morning. But why, he is rich and happy to be back. Perhaps we have a murder to solve? It is quite the cast of characters and the are overtones of P.G. Woodhouse.
Thanks to NetGalley for providing an advanced reader's copy of this title.
I thoroughly enjoyed Murder Most Festive! Hugh Gaveston prefers science to socializing but joins his neighbors, the Westbury's, for the Christmas holiday. A fellow guest who has just returned to England with a fortune is found dead and at first glance appears to be suicide. But that doesn't make any sense to Hugh so he decides to investigate himself. The characters were interesting and the plot well done. I will be keeping an eye out for future books from Ada Moncrieff. Thank you to #NetGalley for the opportunity to read an advance copy of #MurderMostFestive.
I cozy Agatha Christie styled murder in Murder Most Festive by Ada Moncrieff. It is so much fun, so much mystery, and a blast to read!
A fun holiday whodunit that meets the criteria for what I call an Elevated Cozy Mystery.

Moncrieff gives us excellent setting and sense of place at Westbury Manor, where a holiday gathering is commencing for Christmas. Lady Westbury (along with her husband and three children) play host to a motley crew of friends and found family turned suspects when one amongst them is found outside in the snow on Christmas morning dead of a gunshot wound.

The atmosphere is perhaps less eerie than in many country house mysteries, but the settling is still viscerally intriguing and befitting the genre. The mystery itself is fine, mostly focusing on standard tropes but well executed. It’s relatively easy to figure out the solve early in the story, but that doesn’t really damage the reader experience.

I especially liked the buddy comedy vibe of Hugh and the Westbury siblings, and Hugh’s relationship to Lady Westbury as well. I hope this book was just the first of many cases for amateur detective Hugh Galveston.
This book reads like an old fashioned English mystery, and I'm a big fan of those.  The question  of whether David Campbell- Scott committed suicide or was murdered is the featured in the book, and Hugh Gaveson, taxidermist and amateur sleuth sets out to find the answer.  I highly recommend this book to other mystery readers.
A very enjoyable, if not very original, English country house murder mystery. There are several red herrings and several possible suspects  but it wasn't too difficult to guess who was the murderer. I'd read more by this author when I am wanting an easy, light hearted read.
Loved the characters and the setting of this book, while the storyline left me wanting more.  Love cozy mysteries, but this was a little too predictable for me.
Quick, easy, cozy mystery.
I received an advance copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.