Cover Image: You Might Be Special!

You Might Be Special!

It was cute, but ultimately not that special. It could be fun to read aloud with a class and maybe tie in to an art project. I probably wouldn't read it one on one with a single child though.

Thank you to NetGalley and Kids Can Press for the temporary digital copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
I love the quiz approach to this book. As a school librarian, I am always looking for fun, humorous read-alouds and this book delivers! There are many opportunities for interaction, discussion, call and response, and the text is just plain funny. The illustrations are bright and colorful (and silly!). This book is an entire experience with a strong message of self-acceptance.
This interactive “quiz” would be an entertaining choice for any child. It celebrates what makes everyone special by asking questions then guessing what unique fantastical figure you are only to realize the only thing that can define how special you are is you. The illustrations are fun and colorful with lots of unique characters popping up. It is a festive acknowledgement of the positives of individuality and would not only serve as a reminder to readers to celebrate what makes them special but it will have them smiling and laughing with every page.

Special thanks to Netgalley for the ARC in exchange for my honest review.
I am disappointed at this book and my toddler did not like it at all. I am thankful to review it. However, I would not purchase a book like this.
I received an electronic ARC from Kids Can Press through NetGalley.
Delightful book that asks readers to interact by answering questions to determine whether they are special. They answer the questions when presented and discover who they are not - mermaid, dragon, fairy, etc. Young readers will have fun guessing what kind of creature has been described on each page. Kokias emphasizes the special qualities each has answered yes to while recognizing the reader is not the creature described. Charming and affirming ending when the final set of questions leads each reader to themselves.
Great to share as a read aloud early in a school year.
I received a free ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I wasn't sure about this book at first but I LOVED it. So fun. Lots of silly questions and text. Fairy tale and mythical creatures. The illustrations match the story so well. The font is different and sets the tone. A great book.
A heartfelt thanks to NetGalley and Kids Can Press for my advance reader copy of this book to read in exchange for an honest review.

You might be special is the cutest and most lovable fun children's book meant to make children realize how special they are and how different is special. The author brings out this point not in long prose but in a fun guessing quiz meant to entertain and keep the children reading. The book is not only a quiz but rather it allows you as a parent/teacher/older sibling to gauge the child's interest and thought process.I recommend this book so much. This book is valuable as an aid to remind childen how special they are
This book was amazing. I cannot wait to purchase a title. There are a lot of books similar to this but this is my favorite. I loved the illustrations. The message was taught in a fun way as well.
This is a very clever book written in a quiz like format. In asking different questions, the reader is determining what they are NOT, such as a sasquatch, and other unique things. I can see using this book in the library and having students guess what the next "special" quiz is trying to determine the child is.
A funny, playful, colorful celebration of specialness! Packed with engaging questions and thoughtful, whimsical scenarios—perfect for young readers!
There are different things you could be and one is special. The book is a funny take on a child's imagination. All children imagine that they are something else but there are unique things that make each child "special". A good reminder to build on how you are special.

A special thank you to Kid's Can Press and Netgalley for the ARC and the opportunity to post an honest review.
My daughters loved this wonderfully funny book. They love the fantasy creatures and silly illustrations. The text lends itself well to funny voices and silly interactions. Ultimately, it guides readers to conclude that it's not what you are on the outside but the characteristics on the inside that make you special. A wonderful message presented amongst an abundance of humor. Five stars.

Thanks NetGalley for a wonderful read
Delightfully interactive "quiz" format engages little readers to determine all the whys, hows and who-could-have-guessed reasons that they are even more special than a variety of super special and extraordinary critters like unicorns, dragons and mermaids. Kokias' clever text is perfectly paired with Cutler's goofy, cheerful and upbeat illustrations. A great read-aloud with a memorable cast and affirming message!
YOU MIGHT BE SPECIAL would make a fabulous read-aloud, with lots of fun call and response! Love the underlying messages of self-acceptance and independence. Fabulous bright and action-packed illustrations.  Also love the unexpected directions of the quiz, making it even more entertaining for both adults and kids. This one made me laugh out loud: "Are you strong? Are you brave? Do you sometimes feel grumpy even when you don't want to be? Can you cook hot dogs with your breath?" Lots of opportunity for discussion throughout - the entertaining quiz questions would help engage young readers during a read-aloud, and the adult reading the book aloud could follow up with comments and additional questions.
I couldn't connect with this book. First, the title is off-putting. I think there are moments in the text that are fun, but but as a whole, it doesn't come together.
You Might Be Special! is a cheeky and interactive book that offers a quiz that invites children to assess what makes them unique.

This book made me happy! There is no other way to put it. It's witty and funny and light. And who doesn't love playing the guessing game? Without realizing it, this book helps children learn essential skills by predicting what comes next and hypothesizing. The language is accessible; the illustration by Marcus Cutler is everything! It's bright and inclusive, imaginative and cheerful. I think it complement's Kerri Kokias' captivating story perfectly!

You Might Be Special! is a must-have book anywhere children are! I love that it comes out in October because we can use it as part of the curriculum, especially if the child's school/center doesn't celebrate Halloween. I'm already planning to use this book as a tool to encourage children to choose which creature they want to embody based on their characteristics!

Disclaimer: I first read it as an ARC. In exchange for an honest review, I am thankful to Kids Can Press, Kerri Kokias, and NetGalley for providing me with a copy of You Might Be Special!

You might be special! is a cute and fun children's book for children to realise they don't have to be like anyone except themselves.
The author does a brilliant job with this fun, guessing quiz type book to get children relaxed and interested in the story and what will come next. There's enough pause in the book for an adult to have a discussion with said chikd/children to get them thinking what could be next.
This will be a fun favourite within a classroom and would be not only fun to share but also let's the children see that no matter who or what they are, they are themselves and are perfect as they are.
This book is such an important topic for children today, especially with the increasing pressures of social media and peer pressures for children of today. We need more books like this in the world today!
Sometimes we feel out of sorts and feel that we are different from all the others around us.  Ever felt that way?  The answer may be that you are different because you are special!

This funny interactive book is a quiz that asks questions to the reader to determine if they might have that "special quality".  It poses multiple silly questions to discover if perhaps the reader might be a unicorn, a dragon, a werewolf or even a mermaid, just to name a few.    Kids will uncover that they are none of these but are unique, one of a kind, and indeed special all on their own!  Kids are enabled to celebrate their differences and no longer compare themselves and feel like a misfit.

The illustrations are wonderful, full of expression and playfulness! The positive message of the book blends goofy humour with a message of self-acceptance and reinforces a positive self-image.  "You Might Be Special"  is a perfect read-aloud and kids will love the interaction as they respond to the silly questions and learn that they are perfect just the way they are. I highly recommend this book.
Have you ever felt different from other kids? Never really felt like you fit in anywhere? Think that you may be a Unicorn or a Sasquatch? This very cute and hilarious picture book by Kerri Kokias goes through a fun interactive quiz that has children trying to discover where they fit in within this world. This picture books illustrations are fabulous and as someone who used to work at the library running preschool and primary school visits, You Might Be Special is the perfect book to read aloud to the children as they can join in with the story, and laughs will be erupting from the children's mouths with the funny moments of this book. You Might Be Special is written and perfect for children aged 4 - 8 years old.  You Might Be Special is also one of those picture books that every family needs to have sitting in a print copy on their children's bookshelves as will become a household favorite.
I loved this combination of mythical animals and positive messages for kids. It was fun and silly but at the core of it about how special we all are. Very well done.