Cover Image: Tell Me

Tell Me

Social Media Addicted Girls Find Trouble

The novel opens with three teenage girls, whose parents enrolled them in a social media intervention program, are on a hike with a counselor on the Pacific Crest Trail. They set up camp a short distance from the trail for the night. Talking wakes up one of the girls. She hears a gun shot. The next morning the camp site is noticed by a hiking couple. Upon investigation, they discovered the three tents but only one body of a dead woman. The female hiker records the scene, but there was not any cell signal to call 911 or upload the scene to social media. They hurry down the trail looking for cell service. They find a signal, and the woman uploads her video. Before the male can call 911, two persons appear. He tells them not to go that way as there is a dead body. Suddenly, he is shot and falls to the ground. The scene shifts to Detective Daniel Ellis arriving at work. The buzz is an Instagram video showing a possible murder. The poster could not be contacted, so Daniel was going to investigate, and he knows a person who knows that part of the trail, the ex-FBI profiler, Reni Fisher. The novel takes off from here.

The main storyline proceeds quickly to identify the counselor and the girls, but the girls are still missing. The storyline picks up when one of the girls is found. As the investigation proceeds, there are more and frequent twists and turns that kept my interest. This thread also is supported by a few short chapters in the voice of the perpetrator. There is a second main storyline thread. This is Reni’s search for Daniel’s mother who abandoned him as a child. Daniel’s search has been an on and off again effort. This storyline was just a seed in the first novel but blossoms in this novel. This thread added another hook on my attention.

The B-storyline is also rich with three aspects. The author provides more detail on Daniel’s and Reni’s personal lives and new information on their past. Much of Reni’s pasted was provided in the first novel of the series, but adequate background is provided in this novel to understand how her current actions are affected. Lastly, the relationship between Daniel and Reni provides much insight to both of their actions. These B-storylines added to my enjoyment in reading this novel.

For the aspects that some readers find as disincentives to read, this novel is rated as green by me. There are not any intimate scenes. Counting the number of rude words didn’t even use all my fingers on one hand. Violence is short and not subject to detailed scenes.

I particularly liked that the ending was not expected. I knew that something was not right as there were still some loose ends and the novel was ending. This novel was an enjoyable read and kept me reading it to the end. This book is listed as the second book of a two-book series. There seems to be adequate material to continue for another volume. I would like to see another book in this series.

Overall, I enjoyed this novel, and it was fully developed for me. Unfortunately, it wasn’t quite to the level of the first novel in the series. I do recommend reading this novel. I rate it with four stars.

I received a free e-book version of this novel through NetGalley from Thomas & Mercer. My review is based only by my own reading experience of this book. I wish to thank Thomas & Mercer for the opportunity to read and review this novel early.
I really liked the setting for this book and all the intricate descriptions of the desert, the Santa Ana winds, and the native plants.  This is the second book in this series and it is full of twists and turns and shocking revelations.  I am still not sure if I liked the shocking ending or not
This one picks up after the events of Find Me. Still reeling from revelations, Reni is drawn into a new case when Daniel asks for her help once again. This case is twisted and so realistic. A murder, missing people, and an ex of Daniel's make for a complicated journey for answers.
A unique take on an epidemic of device dependency mixed with the world of social media and influencers. When the answers come they are dark.
I loved Find Me and really came to be invested in Reni and Daniel. I think book one was Reni focused while this one centers more around Daniel. We find out the truth of his mother's disappearance. And when another series of events from his past come to light there are some jaw dropping moments. I liked the ending, it was fairly subtle but a satisfying conclusion to their story.
The second novel in the Inland Empire series, Tell me revolves around Daniel and Reni who is still recovering from the events that took place in the past. When a body is found in the mountains and three young hikers vanish without a trace, Daniel and Reni must unite to solve the case. The only lead is the video of the crime scene that seems staged for social media thrills. Is it a hoax? Or something more terrifying than that?

To say I enjoyed this book would be an understatement. Unfortunately, I haven't read the first book in this series and hence I couldn't understand what was going on between Daniel and Reni at first. But this aspect also served as a tool to increase my curiosity and stay engaged throughout the story. There's also a  slight chance for those who read the first book to find this one under their mark. In my view, this book stands out for its realistic characters, scenes and laid-back writing style.  The lead characters have a dark past and are flawed yet they have a strong sense of morality and aren't hardened by the shadows of their past (which usually how books portray). Despite this fact, I found this a little bit slow for my taste and the finding the killer a little simple. Maybe, it is because I haven't read any realistic thrillers.  Nonetheless, this is rectified by unexpected twists and adrenaline rushing scenes in the plot. If you are a fan of Dan Brown books or generally a crime/thriller fan, this book does it for you.
Tell Me, the second in the Inland Empire (a specific area with the Mojave desert) series, picks up a few months after the first with Remi back in her desert abode and she and Daniel physically recovered from their previous ordeal. Daniel is called out to the Pacific Coast Trail in search of hikers who are missing after one of the hikers is found brutally murdered. He, of course, enlists the help of Remi because of her tracking skills. The secondary story line, searching for Daniel's mother, also plays a key role in this offering.

Tell Me ultimately circles back to the role of social media influence, how much young girls will do in order to attract attention and gain viewers. The story here asks that question - is this really what has happened? Have these girls set up a fake scene in order to gain more followers?

While I didn't find Tell Me to be as fast paced or compelling as the first in the series, I realize that second books seldom are. However, I love Frasier's writing, her ability to illustrate the atmosphere from the claustrophobic woodlands of the Pacific Coast Trail to the sheering winds and glorious colors of the Mojave desert. I would read her books for her descriptions of locale alone, the fact that I also like her characters is just icing.

I highly recommend this series but you really must read the books in order or you will be totally lost in Tell Me. Then, after you've read these two, go back and pick up her other series. They are terrific as well.
Ellis and Reni Fisher are together again to solve the mystery of the murder of a mountain hiker  guide and the disappearance of the 3 young girls she was guiding. Then 2 other young hikers  also disappear, but with no connection to the other 3 girls.  A twisting tale of spoiled girls in rehab for their addiction to social media, and one man's obsession with one of them. Both Daniel and Reni,  have their own demonDaniels to deal with, whilst trying to solve a complex case. An interesting concept as rehab for social media is a very new thing for me I really enjoyed this book and thank Net Galley for my ARC.
Three young hikers are missing, their guide found murdered on the Pacific Crest Trail. The only lead is a video of the crime scene and the girl who posted it to social media is now conveniently missing also. Detective Daniel Ellis and criminal profiler Reni Fisher are called in to investigate and determine if it’s a hoax.
When the crime scene is located and confirmed to be real, the fate of the hikers appears grim until one is found alive. Daniel and Reni begin to piece together what happened and why as they rush to locate those still missing.

At the same time, Reni has uncovered some surprising information regarding Daniel’s past and hesitates to share it with him over concern it will threaten their complicated personal and professional relationship.

I really enjoyed the first book in the Inland Empire series, Find Me. I loved the back stories for Daniel and Reni, how their complicated pasts drive them, the case that brought them together, and the twist.
This book failed to deliver the same energy for me. I enjoyed the case but saw the twist coming from a mile away. The way that Reni uncovers information for Daniel seems far too easy and convenient and the reveal/confrontation was very anticlimactic. This was just an average thriller that felt rushed to me.

Thanks to Thomas & Mercer and NetGalley for providing me with an ARC in exchange for my honest review. Tell Me is scheduled for release on July 27, 2021.
This was an easy, fun read full of adventure and mystery.

What I liked.:
I love the idea of a camp for teens who are addicted to their electronics including phones.      And what a great plot device - you are now cut off from the world.

The story was told from multiple points of view, which is always my favorite.

The writing was excellent - I could picture the hiking trails, I could picture the campsite and the desert felt like i had been there.    I could feel the tension increasing as I continued to read.

I really enjoyed the story and the plot - I kept the pages turning wanting to know what happened next.

What I didn't like:
This was not the first book in a series.   Therefore, it kept referring to things that happened in the past.  I feel as if I would better understand the characters if I had  read the previous book.

I want to thank the author, the publisher and #netgalley for the ARC which did not impact my review. .  I really truly, enjoyed this book and I recommend it.   So why not 5 stars?  I save that last star for a book that makes me say "wow" when I am done reading it - that book that gives me a reading hangover.  But I would certainly buy this book again and will actually tell a few friends about it.
Reni Fisher is a criminal profiler and she works with detective Daniel Ellis in this tale of three missing hikers and one shot dead. It rips along at a cracking pace as Fisher and Ellis try to unravel who might want to kill or kidnap three teenage girls, all addicted to social media if their parents can be believed. Fisher and Ellis also have back stories that include significant trauma which helps lift the story from a mere whodunnit to something more complex, giving those characters a realistic feel. Although this is the second book in a series, it stands alone and you don't need to know anything about the characters beforehand. A ripping yarn over all too soon.
Such a great mystery/ suspense novel. The action starts fast and stays there. An exciting case that just keeps building the anticipation until the mind- blowing twists enhance the climactic intensity. The non-stop action keeps the reader engaged and eagerly turning pages to reveal the shocking conclusion. Overall, I found this to be a fantastic read.
Amazing read which i really enjoyed, the author has a way of keeping you engaged and wanting to turn the page, i really love this type of writing and the author really shone with it. The storyline was captivating, i really enjoyed this book and would highly recommend to book readers, friends and/or family.
Socially Relevant Without Preaching

Maybe it’s the mom in me, but I cheered to see the book begin with teens who were sent to a camp with no technology, forced to unplug from the world because their dependence on the Internet had gotten out of hand. Granted, it was a very posh camp, but the girls didn’t have it easy.

Then it all went downhill from there. Their guide was murdered, and there was no sign of the girls. Were they abducted? Did they flee? Was this an elaborate Internet prank to increase their viewers that somehow went horribly wrong?

Enter the cop (Daniel) and the profiler (Reni), both with more emotional baggage than they can fit in their knapsacks as they hike the mountain. There’s a lot of history there. (I didn’t realize this is the second book in the series, but it didn’t detract from my enjoyment of this story, though I’d like to go back and read the first to fill in some blanks.) The way their pasts and presents collide makes for some heart-wrenching moments.

The plot unravels at a brisk, steady pace and has as many twists and turns as the trail the girls disappeared on. The ending was telegraphed throughout, but I think some readers might miss the hints and find it to be a surprise. All in all, it was a solid mystery that kept me engaged, and I’m interested in more from this series.

Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for an advanced copy of this work in exchange for my unbiased opinion.
I didn’t like this book as well as the first in the series, but I do like Reni and Daniel. I think they make a great team. There were definitely a few surprises in this book that I’m sure will factor into subsequent titles in the series.
I recommend this book especially for readers who enjoyed the first one.
Tell Me by Anne Frasier Reni and Daniel work through past personal issues to solve two murders, a kidnapping and missing hikers.  Much of Reni and Daniel's past is mentioned which didn't detract from the story but left the reader wanting to delve into their past and read the first book in the series.  Vividly detailed passages of the Santa Ana winds, desert landscapes and wilderness hiking trails.  Multiple twists and turns and surprising ending. Looking forward to the next in the series.

Thank you to the publisher, author, and NetGalley for the opportunity to preview the book.
Reni is a former FBI agent and Daniel a detective with a San Bernardino law enforcement agency. In the first book the two meet as they try to find victims of a serial killer who happens to be Reni’s father. Reni and Daniel team up again in this book to solve a murder on the Pacific Crest Trail.
Three teenage girls and a guide are out for a three day hike. The guide is murdered and the girls are missing. An eerie video is posted to a social media account of the crime scene. Just as quickly as it pops up the poster also disappears. Reni and Daniel are left to determine if it’s a hoax or if there was really a murder committed.
This book is  just as good as the first. Fast-paced in the harsh but beautiful setting of the California desert. The book is creepy and sinister but not so much that I had nightmares. Both the first book, Find Me, and this one make for fanatic pool/beach reads.
Thanks to @netgalley for an advanced copy of this book. It will be released on 7/27/21.
What happens when you go hiking in the woods and give up all your mobile devices beforehand?  Well, something terrible happens, of course!  Any reader of the mystery/horror genre could tell you that.

Three teenage girls are sent to a “rehabilitation” camp in California on the Pacific Coast Trail by their parents to break them of their social media fixations.  While on a nature hiking trip, their counselor is murdered, and they disappear.

Detective Daniel Ellis and criminal profiler Reni Fisher from the first book, Find Me, are back to solve the crime and find the missing girls.  Both are still dealing with the pain of their own disturbing pasts, and Reni in particular is hesitant to jump into this case.  But jump right in they do and must follow confusing clues to find the missing girls, all the while trying to soothe the distraught parents.  Then another young woman is found missing who took a video of the crime scene and posted it on social media.  As the case ramps up, Reni discovers something from Daniel’s past they may be too much for him to handle.

I was excited to be able to read this book as I enjoyed the first one so much.  My thanks to NetGalley and the publisher, Thomas & Mercer, for the opportunity to read this in exchange for my honest opinion.  I’m looking forward to more Daniel and Reni cases.  I gave this four stars.
The author certainly hits on a popular today topic. Social media addiction and to what lengths the influencers will go to get likes. Three girls are sent to a social media addiction rehab. They are hiking with their counselor/guide when the guide is murdered and they go missing.

Homicide Detective Daniel Ellis decides to investigate when a video is uploaded to YouTube showing the murdered  counselor/guide. Not sure if its a hoax, publicity stunt or an actual murder, he calls Reni Fisher to accompany him out to the trail to see. What they find is not a hoax. There is a dead body and proof that they were 3 other girls there.

Daniel and Reni are such uniquely broken characters. Both of Reni's parent were serial killers and her childhood was spent unknowingly helping her father lure in his victims. This has permanently scared her and ended her career as a FBI profiler. She still chooses to live remotely in the desert of California with her dog and uses painting with watercolors as a stress relief. Daniel's mother disappearing over 30 years ago also left him broken on the inside. The not knowing what happened to her was detrimental in his becoming a homicide detective. He and Reni make a good team and they know and understand each others pain and dont try and fix each other.

I cant say the murder/mystery part of this book was a shocking/captivating as the first book. Its certainly relevant to today's times but I did miss the dark, twisted and shocking aspect from the first book. I really like the main characters and look forward to more books about them.
I have been an Anne Frasier fan since the early 90's and have read most of her books (highly recommend). I absolutely LOVED Find Me, so I was super-stoked to get this ARC, which is #2 of what will hopefully be a larger series.!  While not quite as fast paced and good as the first, it is still a pretty great read. It is a little slow in parts and a little unbelievable once all is revealed, but still quite enjoyable. I love Reni, Daniel and Edward. It looks like the author left open an interesting possible continuation of their stories? I hope so! I do feel that Find Me needs to be read first as a lot of that plot is given away in Tell Me. Overall a very good story!

Thank you to #NetGalley, Anne Frasier and Thomas & Mercer for this ARC!
Back-to-back readings of the first two books in Anne Frasier’s Inland Empire series. Thanks to NetGalley for an advance copy of this book.

This one was very engaging and had an especially exciting scene about 3/4 of the way through. The twist was hinted at throughout parts of the book, so it was not completely unexpected to me, but still a good twist once the details emerged.

The ending, though, especially right after the twist played itself out, was better suited for a soap opera. Not horrible, but kinda cringy.

Interested to see where Anne goes with this series. I liked Book #1 much better, but this book was quality as well. As a side-note, I enjoyed reading the Author’s Note at the end of the book, where Anne describes writing both books of the series during a global pandemic.

Cross-posted to Goodreads.
This thriller was so amazingly good, that I devoured it in one sitting. I just needed to know how it ended.

So this is the Second book of the series Inland Empire, I didn’t read the first book, and that’s totally fine. You don’t really need to read the first one to understand the second book.

It was mysterious, thrilling and like I said, just amazingly good.
The writing style was really fluid and it just sucked you into the story.

I definitely want to read the first book. Even if I kind off know how it will end, I just want to read it, because I really enjoyed Anne Frasier’s writing style.

4 teenagers are forced to go to a “no phone “ retreat. A detox centre that will take you on walks through the scary , dense woods. But then the guide ends up dead, and there is no sign of the 4 girls. Where did they go? And who killed the guide?

Criminal profiler Reni Fischer and Detective Daniel Ellis, who both have traumatising pasts, will need to find out what happened. But will they succeed?

I will post my review on my Bookstagram on the 27th of July at @ted_and_her_books