Cover Image: Grow More Food

Grow More Food

A very in-depth book on vegetable gardening, with a lot of information and explanations of gardening. Thank you to Netgalley, the author, and the publisher for allowing me to read and review.
I'm still a novice gardener and I really enjoyed all of the information in this book. I'm going to attempt to put some of the information to good use in my garden this year.
🌱Book Review📗

Thank you to @netgalley and @storeypub for the eARC of Grow More Food. This book published on February 1st, but I actually just finished it the other day.

Since we have a garden, I thought reading a gardening book might give us some extra insight. Despite growing up on a farm, my husband didn’t actually take part in his parents’ garden growing up. He was the classic little boy not wanting to eat his vegetables, so why would he want to help grow them? 😆

This book is an excellent all around general resource for starting a garden and making it as fruitful as possible whether or not you have a very small parcel of ground to grow or a much larger operation. We are trying a couple of new methods in our garden this year based upon what I read in this book and I can’t wait to see our results!

Whether or not you’re a garden newbie or an expert gardener, this book will have something for you!

QOTD: Do you have a garden?

AOTD: Of course we have a garden and we even have a compost tumbler! That green thing outside our window is it!

P.S. So excited for these cucumber 🥒 plants this summer! 😋
#growmorefood #netgalley #netgalleyreads #netgalleyreview #gardening #gardeningtips #gardeningbooks #gardeningbook #bookreview #bookrecommendations #bookrecommendation #bookreader #bookreviewer #bookreviews #bookrecs #bookrec #bookreviewers #bookreviewersofinstagram #readersofinstagram #readersofig #readerslife #readersofinsta #readerscommunity #readingcommunity #bookcommunity #booksandplants #plantsandbooks #readreadread #readmorebooks #readeverything
In these upcoming times of dystopia, we all need to get a little more self sufficient, in order to survive and allow ourselves a healthier lifestyle. This book will help you get the most from your home grown product's.
Take your veg growing up a notch

Refreshingly this book dives straight into how you can maximise productivity and yield and adapt them to a household scale. I found the sections on planning what to plant and when by the yield you need, extending the growing season, harvesting techniques and storage particularly useful. The planting plans and worksheets are pretty handy too.

If you like growing your own veg you’ll find plenty info that will help you get the best from all your hard work.
I really enjoyed this book. It gives so many ideas for a beginner gardener especially as if you are starting in a small space. With the detailed amount of information on the kind of crops for each season, this is a helpful guide to anyone who is new to gardening and plans to scale it up as they go. I loved some of the ideas they gave about mixing different crops to reduce disease and help increase overall production.

I received this ARC from NetGalley and the publisher for an honest review*
A very thorough and approachable guide to home gardening for food. For readers who love charts, there are plenty of tables to satisfy even the most thorough planner, from how many people various garden sizes will feed, to how to adjust the nutrients in your soil, to which types of vegetables can be planted together in rotation. There are sections on planning your garden, building beds, composting, weeding, growing from seeds or transplants, and much more. Lots of color photographs and illustrations. This is a great resource for any level home gardener. A must-add for midsize to large public library collections.
Grow More Food is written for serious gardeners. If you are an intermediate gardener and want to level up production, this book will help you do it. However, you should have at least two to three years of home gardening under your belt first. Alternatively, you can start here if you have the time and money to invest.

Grow More Food has advice for all types of edible gardening questions. There are worksheets for everything from planning to production notes. There are chapters on soil, irrigation, and propagation. It even explains how to graft two different vegetables together to improve production and/or pest tolerance. I learned a lot that isn’t in other gardening books. However, I did miss the page per vegetable format most of those books use. If you want to grow just a few, you will have to flip through the charts in various chapters. 4 stars!

Thanks to Storey Publishing and NetGalley for a copy in exchange for my honest review.
This is the absolute best gardening book that I have come across yet. The gardening advice is clearly written and supported by useful diagrams, pictures, and charts where needed. The information is well organized, making it easy to find specific information when wanting to refer to it again. Most important of all, the guidance is practical for the backyard gardener. There is a lot to take in though, so depending on the reader's gardening skills and knowledge, it may be best to apply a little at a time versus becoming overwhelmed and giving up. I am sure that I will be learning something new from this book each year. I am excited to start planning and am really looking forward to the upcoming growing season with this book at my fingertips. (Previously published under the title High Yield Vegetable Gardening.)

I am grateful to have received a complimentary copy from Storey Publishing via NetGalley without obligation. All opinions expressed here are my own.
Grow more food is a great resource for anyone that is new to gardening. It is very thorough, but also easy to understand. As someone  that has been hoping to start their own vegetable garden for years now, I would highly recommend this book to others.
Learn how to grow more food in less space, optimize space and tools and provide all the food you need even in limited space.  Includes methods for harvesting and preserving crops, and guidelines on planning.
The visuals are impactful and the guidance is applicable. This is a timely topic currently so it’s good to see more books in this genre.
I am a gardener who normally grows ornamental plants. Last year my partner and I took on an allotment and although my background has helped me in planting and caring for the plot, I was feeling that I needed a bit of guidance in how to get more from it.

This book is brilliant for that, though written for the U.S market it gives good ideas on how to record your crops and work out windows when you might be able to squeeze in something extra.  I’m slightly embarrassed to confess to being a bit of a spreadsheet geek and this book is definitely geared towards that. If available to the U.k market as a physical copy (which would make skipping through to find the information I was looking for easier) I would buy it.
 The only negative I would say is that there is not enough about companion planting with flowering plants and herbs, organic methods and no-dig-all of which we are trying to employ and are becoming increasingly popular with gardeners worldwide. However this is not what the book is advertised as.
This is an in-depth book for how to optimize crop production in your garden. While I did enjoy the information I don't believe I will be using soon. I have only just gotten into gardening and with only a year under my belt crop rotation isn't a key to my garden yet. I think those who want to improve their garden will enjoy this book.
Grow More Food by Colin McCrate: Brad Halm is an intermediate gardeners Bible! If you already have gardening experience but want to step it up and add in the process of rotating and staggering crops, starting from seed, planning your garden for maximum yield of crops, taking soil samples, composting and fertilizing your garden, along with storage and harvesting techniques, this is the book you must have on hand. I learned a lot and took notes from this book. I'm hoping some of the techniques pay off and I grow more food this year!
With trying to be better about what I eat and where I get it from I really appreciate this book. It's easy to follow, fun to read and I'm really learning alot. Would recommend to anyone on a similar journey!
Grow More Food is a tutorial and technique guide to maximizing yields for vegetable gardeners no matter what size garden they have. Due out 1st Feb 2022 from Storey, it's 304 pages and will be available in paperback and ebook formats.

This is such a well written and understandable guide to choosing the right varieties, planning for the seasons, succession plantings, and most of all maximizing production. The layout is logical and easy to follow and so much of what the authors say is so sensible. The chapters cover planning and record keeping, soil building, choosing the right varieties for the intended purpose (including a good subsection on hand pollination for max yields), setup propagation & irrigation, season extenders & storage.

The authors write knowledgeably and authoritatively. The chapters flow well into one another and I found it unnecessary to constantly flip back and forth, which was appreciated. The book is beautifully illustrated and photographed throughout. This book is full of lists, charts, worksheets, and notes for readers to customize and use in their unique situations. The authors do a good job of giving general advice which readers can pick and adjust. They've included a brief but useful resource list (aimed at readers in the USA/North America, but also usable by readers outside NA), as well as a short metric conversion chart and cross referenced index (not available in the pre-release ARC provided for review).

Five stars. This is a solidly reliable and beautiful guide which will certainly become a classic. I would recommend this one for public and school library acquisition, gardening and maker's groups, community garden/allotment libraries, or possibly as a nice gift for a young gardener bundled with some seeds and supplies and the promise of a few hours of help/mentoring. Many of the worksheets and charts will also be useful for smallholders and self-sufficiency gardeners.

This is an amazing book for gardeners, new and experienced!

It gives you ideas and tools to plan and organise your garden as well as information on many of vegetables, when to sow and how long they take to harvest etc

This book intends to help you maximise the amount of food you grow and prolong your harvest by planting on time and more often (for e.g. succession planting) and i can't wait to utilise all the information i've been given!

I would love to also buy the physical copy as i know this something i'd love to go back to again and again!
This is a thorough and easily understood guide to growing your own food. I've been growing a bit of food every year for about 6 years, but curious as to why I wasn't getting the yields I did a few years ago. It turns out I was making a lot of mistakes and now I will be able to put the knowledge I learned while reading this book to use! A great resource - I will probably buy this book in a couple years when I feel like I can devote more time to growing food. A must buy for anyone wanting to put together a working food garden. I took 8 pages of notes while reading. It's wonderful.

Thank you to Netgalley!
Whoever the reader is of this book, whether you are new to growing food or you're experienced in growing vegetables, you are guaranteed to find this book useful. The book is ordered into helpful sections which illustrate how to plan your gardening, get the best out of your soil and the seeds you use and even how to extend your harvest. Each section has useful charts you can refer to time and time again like annual crop lifespans, planting calenders and harvest tracking. It's a brilliant resource that belongs on every gardener's shelf.

Thanks to the authors, publishers and Netgalley for the opportunity to review an advanced copy of the book in exchange for an honest review.