Cover Image: Just Haven't Met You Yet

Just Haven't Met You Yet

Read this if you:
*have ever taken someone else’s suitcase at baggage claim accidentally
*likes traveling
*have ever felt stuck in your day-to-day life

This book was cute! Everything I want in a rom-com! Characters were likable as well as relatable. Such a charming book!

Thank you NetGalley for the eARC in exchange for an honest review. Pub date: Nov 9
Sophie Cousens’ sophmore novel - Just Haven’t Met You Yet - will warm readers hearts just as much as her debut, This Time Next Year.

In JHMYY, we are introduced to Laura who is traveling on a business trip and inadvertently picks up the wrong suitcase leaving the airport.  Laura opens the suitcase (once at her hotel) and realizes it must belong to the man of her dreams - as everything in there is surely a sign from above (music, favorite book, gift for his grandmother, etc…).  What follows is a touching, humorous, story of Laura really coming to age and discovering what she truly wants in life.

Add in a very hot “Taxi” driver (Ted), the actual owner of the suitcase, and some great funny as all sidekicks - and you’ve got yourself a great ensemble cast.

This is the perfect fall weather read - cuddle up in front of a fire, and spend a few hours in the Channel Isles with Laura.
Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for my ARC in exchange for my honest review.
A sweet rom-com that I'm sure we all know where it's headed but it was sure fun to enjoy the ride to the end!
This is a lighter, dramatic rom-com that you need on your shelf!
Laura is a journalist and hopeless romantic who interviews people who have had real-life meet-cute romances. When she travels to Jersey for work, she is tasked with retracing the places where her parents fell in love. However, after a mix-up at the airport where Laura accidentally takes the luggage of a mystery man, Laura determines to connect with the owner and, hopefully, have her own meet-cute, happily-ever-after. Finding her mystery man isn’t as easy as it seems, and Laura is glad to receive the help of a grumpy but charming cab driver to chauffer her on her journey. While trying to connect with her mystery man, Laura also delves into her parents’ romance, and she learns more than she ever bargained for. Her situation becomes even more complicated when she finally meets the man behind the luggage and likes him because her feelings for Ted, her cab driver turned friend, feel way more than friendly. As Laura falls in love with the place where her parents first met, will she also find her own love of a lifetime?

Just Haven’t Met You Yet is a charming and heartwarming story with great characters. I especially like Laura. She goes through so much over the course of the story, including learning secrets of her parents’ past, dealing with dissatisfaction and intense pressure at work, and wanting her own epic romance. Laura lost her father when she was young and lost her mother not long ago, which has definitely changed her. It’s clear Laura is still missing her mother, and as she retraces the love story between her mom and dad, Laura gets a chance to reconnect with and learn more about them. Laura finds out a lot about her past that changes everything she knew about her family, yet instead of letting these heartbreaking secrets defeat her, Laura learns from them. She reflects on the past and uses her learnings to chisel out the future she wants. I enjoyed Laura’s journey as she realizes that life is not always as perfect as it seems, and memories aren’t always completely factual. She is such a relatable character, as is Ted.

I’ve never been to Jersey, but it sounds like a magical place, especially to Laura. A bit biased because of her parents’ epic love story, Laura sees the romance in this quaint place, which is a great backdrop for her own love story. Of course, her romance doesn’t go as planned, and Laura is faced with a difficult decision – does she embrace the potential romance with the mystery man or follow her heart and act on her feelings for Ted, who often gives mixed signals?

Ted has been burned by love and seems to have lost his way a bit. A grumpy cab driver who has the beard of Tom Hanks in Castaway, Ted doesn’t make the best first impression. However, he is very different from this initial meeting. Kind, caring, and patient, he isn’t the man Laura is searching for, but he just might be the man of her dreams. Their budding relationship proves that sometimes love happens when you least expect it. When they first meet, Ted isn’t interested in a relationship, but being with Laura changes him. I like how Ted learns to embrace life again and how his connection to Laura makes him see the possibility of a fulfilling future.

Gerry, Ted’s father, is a wonderful addition to the story, and I love his little words of wisdom. He is a wise man, and he has an incredible outlook on life. Though he’s been through a lot and is still going through some life-changing situations and serious medical issues, he never loses his optimism and zest for life. Other characters, including Ted’s neighbors, the mystery luggage man, and his family are other unique and intriguing characters that I enjoyed learning more about.

I love the humor in the story, and there are many laugh-out-loud, comical, and sometimes cringe-worthy and embarrassing moments, especially for Laura. From flying tampons in the airport to an unlikely experience with cows to witnessing relations between older paramours, Laura gets herself in some unusual and really funny situations. I love these comedic moments, as well as the witty banter between the characters. It makes for a fun and cute read even though many more serious issues like grief, loss, divorce, betrayal, illness, and more are also highlighted.

I really enjoyed this read. It was fun and charming, but it also explored some heavier and more serious topics. It is well balanced and well-paced, and Laura’s story is compelling. I felt for her when she struggled and grieved and laughed with her when she got in over her head. I think readers who enjoy contemporary romance with lovely messages and a dynamic protagonist will love this book. Thanks so much to NetGalley and the publisher for a copy of the book in exchange for my honest review.
This one was as much about the main character, Laura’s personal journey as it was about the romance part of the story. The first half was a bit slow for my taste, but once it picked up I couldn’t put it down. I enjoyed the twists and turns that the story took, and it had me on my toes not knowing what was going to happen next. Aside from some pacing issues, I really enjoyed this read.
Just Haven’t Met You Yet is a fun romcom. Although it is slightly predictable (like most romcoms), the characters are what makes this book. Laura lost her dad when she was very young and her mom died just a couple of years ago. When she goes to Jersey in the Channel Islands to write a story about her parents picture perfect romance, she thinks she has stumbled on her own picture perfect romance when she picks up the wrong suitcase at the airport. Laura looks through the bag and finds so many things in common with her own life, and she is sure she’s found the man of her dreams. While looking for this mysterious man Laura is also learning more about her parents relationship. She discovers things may not always be what they seem and that memories can take on a life of their own. Laura learns there really isn’t such a thing as a perfect romance or relationship and that you may find love where you least expect it. This was a great book that covered serious subjects like loss and death, but also made me laugh.

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for the advanced copy.
Predictable, but still a very enjoyable read. I liked all the characters and the storyline. The pacing was well done in telling the story. I will recommend for purchase in my library.
When she accidently picks up the wrong suitcase while travelling to the Channel Islands for business, Laura is convinced that she is living her own version of a "meet cute".  She is determined to stay on the island until she can  meet her (she's determined) true love. After all, her parents met and fell in love here! In the meantime, her actual assignment for work isn't going well and she's stuck with grumpy cab driver Ted.  But as Laura explores the ilans and her own family history, new relationships form and old certainties fall away.  A lovely romantic comedy about finding love and one's self in the world.
I received an ARC in exchange for my honest review. Thank you to NetGalley and Penguin Group for making that happen.

This book was interesting in that the primary focus wasn't necessarily on the romance, but rather one woman's journey in self-exploration. Laura Le Quesne is approaching 30, and while her friends are quickly moving on with their lives, she finds herself stagnant. Additionally, she has an almost obsessive view of love based on her parents' love story and has had trouble with relationships her whole life.

When an opportunity arises to delve deep into her parents' past, she discovers that not everything is as it seems and that perhaps the person who's perfect on paper is not the one that she's meant to be with. Everything she has ever known is turned on its head, and she discovers who she is in the process of it.

Personally, this book was a bit underwhelming for me. It just didn't capture me in a way that I feel like it could have. Laura was personally a bit grating and I felt that after being dealt with what amounts to life-altering information, she just kind of accepted it like it was no big deal. Ted, I felt like, didn't have much of a personality besides being there to fuel Laura's journey. And Jasper was so comically unattractive to me that I couldn't see why she would even consider him.

I did like how Cousens handled her parents' story and how it fits in with the narrative, even if I figured it out almost immediately. It provided some much-needed conflict to the story that didn't have much to begin with.

But overall, I just wasn't sold on Laura's story.
This was a sweet book about love and finding yourself. It was a little slow and took me some time to get into it but loved how Laura found herself and also reinvented her idea of love.
This book was cute! I loved the idea of flipping meet cutest around and showing they aren't always what they seem to be.
Just Haven't Met You Yet is a very good chick lit/romance novel filled with highly relatable main characters and some funny, quirky circumstances make it a nice, lighthearted read. We all find out our parents are human too, and this was a nice ride finding out the truth about Laura's while experiencing the real time goings on and changes ofthe parents of both of her love interests. Do adults have comkg of age books? I think this is one of those.
This book was just yum. The perfect combination of funny, romantic, heart-wrenching, sentimental, travelogue, self-discovery and just beaches. So many lovely, wind-whipped beaches. I loved this book. A lot. It made me happy. 💜💜📚
Reading a Sophie Cousens book is like sitting down and watching your favorite Hallmark movie. It just makes me so happy! And this book, is no different! I am literally in love.

This book is like the perfect beach read. It's warm hearted, full of wanderlust, and has a ton of humor. The best part were the characters. They are so flawed but so easy to love and just so real. Our main character also gave me big "Bridget Jones" vibes so if you are a fan of Bridget, this book is for you!  This book was so well written and so unique. In a world full of cookie cutter rom coms, this one stands out plotwise. I just really loved this. These isn't much more to say. If you are in need of an easy read, look not further.

Also, this book is light on the steam, so you could recommend this to your grandma! :)
This book pretty much solidifies that I will always read anything new Sophie Cousens writes. This book was a joy to read. It's heartfelt, I could see the location and grew hungry reading the descriptions of the local foods! Laura does a lot of maturing during the span of this book which made it really special to read.
Adorable story about the difference in the plans you make and the plans Life has for us! Ted kind of came out of nowhere in the journey, but their story developed so perfectly, with so much real life. Fantastic tale!
I rarely laugh out loud at things I read, but I definitely did here.  This book has a bit of a Bridget Jones' vibe, but with a more up-to-date feminist underpinning.  The characters are more complex and endearing though, and I really enjoyed them - everyone from the main characters to Gerry, Laura's family, Jasper and even Suki.  I love how the author integrated the fictitious self help book ( a la "Untamed" by Glennon Doyle) into the story.  Some of the conversations between Laura and her friend highlighted that feminism is about having choices in life, and about embracing who you are.  That makes it sound like it's more serious than it is though. It's funny, delightful, and charming.  The chemistry between the main two characters is sizzling too!

I can't wait for the world to read it, and I'll be looking for more books by Sophie Cousens for sure.
Laura is a journalist who feels lucky to have a job even if it is writing fluff for a lifestyle website. Her biggest following comes from her “How did you two meet?” video series. When her boss pushes her to go further with it, she decided to do a story about her parents’ love story. Since they were both deceased, she decided to go back to Jersey where it started. What follows is a whirlwind weekend where she meets new family members, finds out things didn’t happen the way her mom told her, makes new friends, figures out how to follow her passion in work, and falls in love. Plus tiger woman.

Not having ever heard of Jersey before, it was nice to get a tour of the island through this book. This is a well-rounded romance novel and just as good as her last one. Big thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for the advanced reader copy in exchange for an honest review.
DNF at 45%, I just didn’t connect with the characters in the story and the characters. I just wanted more out of the story. More connection maybe something more to the plot to keep me interested.
This was a good story, but overall I couldn’t connect with it. Personally I think I had a disconnect with books that are based in Europe. The characters seem aloof, especially the women leads. Laura always seems to have her head in the clouds and had idealistic tendencies towards this perfect icon she had about love and that made it really hard to connect with her as a person. She was too whimsical for me to have an investment in her journey of finding a happily ever after.

I will say the writing of this story is well done and the idea of plot is cute. I can see why many readers would enjoy this, but I just think this book and I were not meant to be. Thank you to NetGalley and G.P. Putnam's Sons for this ARC