Cover Image: You'll Be the Death of Me

You'll Be the Death of Me

Another great mystery from Karen McManus! Her books are always engaging and entertaining and this book was no exception. I didn't connect with the main characters in this book as much as I have with others, but I still enjoyed it. We will definitely be purchasing this book for our library! Probably multiple copies as her books are really popular with our students.

Welp, I did not enjoy this one. I’ve been on a good audiobook streak lately, but this one had my mind drifting. I struggled to stay in the story. It’s basically Ferris Bueller’s Day Off…but with a murder? But it took too long to tell the story and the story wasn’t that interesting. It did pick up a bit at the end, so it does get some points for just…being a book in a genre I love…but I don’t know that this will be one that I recommend as much as McManus’s other books.

However, I will be able to sell it to students looking for this type of book and we have already purchased several copies for the library. I do think this will be popular with my teens.

As a huge McManus fan, I don’t even know how to express my disappointment in this book.

McManus’s books are usually fun and thrilling and suspenseful. Books that you don’t want to put down. This book didn’t hit any of the marks I’ve come to expect from McManus.

Truthfully, the story just felt hollow. The characters were lifeless and had no chemistry with each other.

The mystery wasn’t at all gripping and the “plot twists” didn’t leave me feeling anything other than grateful that the story was over.

I can only hope McManus’s next book will see her back on form because she’s usually a favourite author of mine.

The tone of the final Good Girls installment is a noticeable departure from the first two book. Gone is the snarky, confident Pip. The traumas of the previous books has caught up with her; she’s coping with PTSD and a stalker. Ravi continues to be the amazing support he’s been all along. The second half of the book focuses on tying up loose ends-with shocking and controversial results. I found this to be a satisfying end to a fantastic series.

I mean, Karen McManus did it again! I really enjoyed this read. She writes good mysteries. It was a pleasure to be able to read one of her other books, I definitely think this was a good follow up to her last book, which wasn't the best for me.

Thank you to NetGalley, Delacorte Press, & Random House for the opportunity to read and review this book before it's publication date! This in no way affected my review, opinions are my own.

It was enjoyable enough, but also I don't think this one will stick with me. I wish there was more to say about it but unfortunately that's all I've got.

Another good Karen M. McManus novel. The book is about three former best friends - Ivy, Mateo, and Cal. They kind of fell out in middle school. Now in high school, they bump into each other in the parking lot and in a moment that will change their lives, they decide to skip school and go to the city - trying to recreate the joy of the day they first met. Along the way they uncover the dead body of Ivy's rival for student president. They flee the scene and spend the rest of the day trying to figure out what is going on. As they go, they unravel secrets long kept and larger works at play. As the day progresses they increasingly become more entwined in the danger. It was a fun read, and trying to guess who did the crime was part of the phone. This book definitely kept me guessing.

Karen McManus writes wonderful twisty mysteries with cool teen characters - these books are so popular with the students at my high school - I can hardly keep her books on the shelf (which is a great problem to have ;-))! We have a triad of friends, each with their own problems and emotional baggage, and the action is fast and takes us along with the main characters as they work together to solve the mystery. It wouldn't be a McManus book without some twists at the end, and this one is no exception. I have already purchased this for my high school and know it will be as popular as her others that we have. Many thanks to Ms. McManus and Delacorte Press for allowing me to read this book.

Thank you to the author, publisher, and Net Galley for the ARC of this book in exchange for an honest opinion.

I enjoyed this fast paced thriller. McManus does it again. This book is quick to pull you in and keep you engaged with lots of twists and turns till the end.
I think our students will enjoy this one and it will fly off the shelves.

Unfortunately - especially as a McManus fan! - I DNF'ed this book at 40%. Perhaps as a middle school teacher I just did not fit the audience on this one. However, I found the structure and characters to feel almost too formulaic at this point. Miscommunication/misunderstandings abound between the core group of female and male protagonists. Drama ensues. I was not motivated to find out what happened. I hope that McManus switches up her formula in the future.

Karen McManus did not disappoint with this book at all. The suspense and thrill kept me on the edge of my seat.

You’ll Be the Death of Me, by Karen McManus was a fun YA mystery with lots of twists and turns. The characters kept me engaged and thought it was paced well.

Young adult thrillers are one of my favorite stories to read and Karen McManus never disappoints. You’ll Be The Death of Me is a story of an unlikely friendship of 3 teens who all share the bond of experiencing a very bad day. The story was fast paced, twisty, and enthralling. I wanted more from the ending but still enjoyed the journey.

What starts as a day of fun and mischief quickly spirals out of control when three high school friends follow another student skipping school and stumble upon his murder. As they try to piece together what happened, it turns out they have more in common with the victim than they thought – and are all hiding secrets. This fast-paced thriller will keep you guessing until the very end. With twists and turns at every corner, this book is sure to keep you entertained from start to finish. If you're a fan of One of Us Is Lying, then you'll definitely want to check out this suspenseful read.

I will read any and every book Karen McManus writes. Period. End of story. I cannot even begin to explain the hold this author has on me. This book: the climax? the suspense? the plot? All absolutely breathtaking.

I liked this book a lot. I had half of my guess right so I love that I was surprised at the end. I enjoyed that there was an added little love story in here. It is super fast paced and takes off almost immediately. I recommend picking this up!

This book is fun, though I enjoyed One of Us is Lying, The Cousins, and Two Can Keep a Secret a bit more. However, when it comes to YA Thrillers, you'll be hardpressed to find a better writer than Karen McManus!

My third Karen McManus book after the One of Us is Lying series and this one was my favorite. I got through it in a day even during a reading slump. McManus writes a great YA thriller and I really enjoy how she tackles high school stereotypes. I didn’t guess the ending either which I always appreciate when I’m reading a mystery. I would definitely recommend it to any YA fans.

Thank you NetGalley!

Okay so this is probably the best Karen McManus book out there. She gets better every freaking book. The relationship dynamics were interesting and full of history that helped make the characters seem like real people we were getting to know. The mystery itself was exquisitely plotted and paced, and I honestly could not stop reading it once I started, I always needed to know what happened next. Thought provoking at turns, chilling at others, this is a thriller that will keep you guessing right until the final pages.

This was basically like "Ferris Bueller's Day off" included murder and drugs. It was a fun little mystery YA book and I did enjoy it a lot. Ivy honestly reminded me of myself in some aspects. My sister and brother were seen as gifted. I ended up putting a lot more pressure on myself and I understood Ivy's personality a lot. That whole overly stressed-out character just vibes with me. Our other two characters, Cal and Mateo were fantastic characters as well. Cal was a little naive in general but I liked them. The book went by really quickly and it's very interesting.