Cover Image: Making Waves at Penvennan Cove

Making Waves at Penvennan Cove

This was a good story but I didn't get drawn into it in the way that I didn't want to put it down. I felt that the story dragged a little. However, that could have been just me reading it in short snippets as a bedtime read. Maybe if I'd read it in larger chunks, I might have got engrossed in the story more.
Thanks to the publishers and Netgalley for the ARC to review.
Favorite Quotes:

As Granddad would have said of idle gossip: ‘T’aint right, t’aint fair, t’aint proper,’ and he was spot on.
I’ve had enough. I’m like a firework and the fuse paper has been lit. I’m about to explode and that thought scares me, but it also makes me feel free.

My Review:

This installment feels to be the middle of an ongoing story although capable of being read on its own with a happy for now ending while knowing there will be more to the tale.  The realistic storylines were slowly unfolding and effusively detailed while thoroughly setting each scene.  Each story thread highlighted and best and worst of small-town thinking and small-town living with gossip being the main course of every resident’s meal with the type of social and family issues that are likely happening on any street in any community.  The characters were true to life and individually quirky as well as flawed and varying degrees of irksome.
Yet again, I’ve read a book not realising it was part of a series, although it didn’t strike me as such at the time so I didn’t feel I was missing anything. Enough information is given by various means to give just enough background on the characters and their lives.

Kerra Shaw recently returned to Penvennan Cove to support her father after the death of her mother and is in a relationship with her childhood sweetheart, Ross. They’re keeping their involvement very low key and as inconspicuous as possible due to an ongoing feud between the families. Apart from that, Kerra is pleased with her new entrepreneurial career options and very happy with Ross even though keeping the relationship secret is mammoth task in a small village. Only their closest friends know but as you might guess there is trouble brewing on the horizon.

‘You make it sound so simple, Drew. I feel like I’m living in a goldfish bowl at times after the anonymity of living in London. The pace of life is so fast there that people don’t have the time to worry about the small stuff and, often, they don’t give a damn anyway. It’s as if I’m doing something wrong, which is ridiculous at my age. I’m a grown woman and a free agent. And so is Ross.’

Drew tuts. ‘Ah, but the rumour mill loves talking about him, Kerra, and you — the returner. In a small community like this one, not much goes unnoticed,’ Drew continues. ‘You’ll need to be clever to keep something like this a secret.’

Drew is spot on and it’s not long before rumours begin to spread and with the arrival of an unwelcome presence in the village sparks begin to fly in earnest.

The location is lovely, described in evocative detail and there’s a good mix of realistic characters, both human and animal. I loved Ripley the cat and Bertie the miniature Schnauzer and the novel way their less than socially acceptable interactions were sorted out to everyone’s satisfaction. I liked Mrs Moyle, who runs the convenience store, and her husband Arthur as well as Kerra’s circle of friends.

Making Waves at Penvennan Cove is a steadily evolving story of life in a pretty Cornish village with its good, bad and sad times, and lots of community spirit.
This was a really good read. Easy story to follow, charming setting and great characters. Really enjoyed it.
When Kerra leaves her flat in London to move back to Cornwall she forgets how hard it is to keep things quiet in a small village. Her secret romance with Ross is getting more and more difficult to hide. Is staying with him going to do more damage to their families?

An enjoyable novel, the second in the series.
A nice easy reading book. Not having read the first book in this series didn't know what to expect and didn't know Kerra's story but I got into it quite well that she had returned to Cornwall after her mother's death and met up again with Ross her childhood sweetheart. Lovely setting and plenty of characters all with different stories and problems, afew too many for me to connect with them all .A pleasant read but not exactly a thrilling one
‘… this is where I was born and brought up; this is where my roots are and yet I still feel that I’m that square peg in a round hole. And I don’t know why.’

Making Waves at Penvennan Cove is a delightful escape to a small village filled with quirky characters who love to gossip and where there is a lot going on for small town living.

This is Linn B. Halton’s second book in her Pennvennan Cove series. It would appear that reading these books sequentially as a series is important to a richer understanding of events. With there being a lot of people and a range of connections, at times it is challenging to keep up with it all. However, if loads of interaction and dialogue of the various goings-on in a tiny English village appeals, then this is certainly the book for you! To follow along the narration will be most appealing with the interweaving of all the characters and their escapades.

Making Waves at Penvennan Cove provides a window into village life on the coast. If you enjoy character driven drama then you will relish this cast of characters with their everyday adventures and incidental chatter not to mention the spectacular Cornish coast.

‘As we take the winding track that leads us down through the mass of trees, the smell of the sea on the breeze is tantalising. I keep straining to catch glimpses of it as we weave in and out, stepping off the path where it’s a little churned up and still muddy from the recent storms.’

This review is based on a complimentary copy from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own. The quoted material may have changed in the final release.
This story has lots of depth to it and it’s characters, I almost felt like I was reading a story adapted for screen or television. I could visualize everything and imagine tuning in to see a weekly series. I love being immersed in the lives and troubles of the people living in Penvennan Cove and all the troubles and successes that follow along with them....the writer has once again left us wanting more and I can not wait for her next adventures for these characters to materialize.

I would recommend this series to my friends or book club.

I received a free copy from NetGalley. I have given an honest review with my own opinions of this book
I really enjoyed this book. I couldn't put it down once I started reading it. Looking forward to reading more from this author.
The thing that strikes you about life in Penvennan Cove is the community which at times feels supportive and yet at others, feels the opposite. Rumour spreading is rife and at time this definitely gets in the way for Kerra. Romance is ratcheted up for this second in the series. I had to accept the premise that Kerra and Ross had to keep their affair a secret. I wasn't too sure, but I went along with it for the story.

Kerra is a wonderful character. She is full of independent thinking yet measures this with compassion and a social conscience. I always enjoy a series. You can read this as a standalone but would get so much more out of it if you read the series in order. The community activities drive the story forward. together with the stunning scenery. I am looking forward to seeing how the story devellops in book 3 of the series.

In short: romance in a Cornish community
Thanks to the publisher for a copy of the book
The fabulous Linn B. Halton is back with a gloriously romantic, immensely charming and highly enjoyable page-turner that will hold readers spellbound from start to finish: Making Waves at Penvennan Cove.

Life is good for Kerra Shaw. The thirty year old thinks she has finally landed on her feet with a job she loves helping small businesses in the local community, a wonderful circle of friends and family who are within walking distance and a relationship with her childhood sweetheart Ross which is going from strength to strength. Kerra cannot remember a time where she had been this happy – even though she must keep her relationship with Ross a secret because of a long-running feud between both of their families. Is Kerra and Ross’ relationship destined to remain shrouded in shame and guilt? Or is there light at the end of the tunnel and the two of them can start living happily ever after in Penvennan Cove?

With the feud between the two clans raging on, Kerra and Ross’ dream to start a life together is becoming more and more distant with each passing day. The last thing Kerra wants is to hurt the people she loves, but the more time she spends with Ross, the more she realizes that even thought of spending the rest of her life without him is unbearable. But when their secret is discovered, Kerra realises that the stakes have never been higher for her and Ross. Torn between duty to her family and her heart’s desire, Kerra has a difficult choice but to make, but will she make the right decision? Or is she about to make the worst mistake of her life?

A cosy, dreamy and charming romantic read, Linn B Halton will delight her readers with this heartfelt and emotional tale that is liberally sprinkled with warmth, pathos and humour. Making Waves at Penvennan Cove is a wonderfully atmospheric romance that is absolutely perfect for curling up with and readers will find themselves completely hooked by all the gripping goings-on in this beautiful Cornish community.

A gorgeous romantic drama that will tug at the heartstrings and make readers laugh out loud, Linn B. Halton’s unmissable new novel Making Waves at Penvennan Cove is another winner from this wonderful writer.
I really enjoyed this book!! Took me to a glorious place in Cornwall!! It seems that it's the 'the go to place' for love!!!! Kerra  returns to her beloved Penvennan after working in London, and falls back in love with her Ross, that she left behind. But certain people cannot be told, but keeping it secret to not hurt anyone isn't as it turns out, the best way to go about it!!
Thoroughly enjoyable!! Loved it!!
I do think you need to read the other books in this series to fully appreciate this book, usually I find you can pick things up but this time I felt it really would have helped to have either read the previous book or had some form of recap. Having said that it was a good story.
A real delight of a novel  set in beautiful Cornwall. Kerry returns to her home town leaving her flat in London, to hopefully have a happier and better lifestyle. She rediscovers how privacy is non existent  in a small village and has to try and keep all her activities under cover until she feels ready to disclose them. Lots of uplifting and romantic plots that everyone will enjoy.
This is the second book in the Penvennan Cove series by Linn B. Halton, and as a follow-on from the previous book Coming Home to Penvennan Cove so really should not be read as a standalone. I really would recommend that you read the first book. This series is a gentle series dealing with life in a Cornish coastal village, with romance and intrigue perfectly interwoven into the heart of a warm and welcoming community.

I loved returning to Penvennan Cove. I really enjoyed the first book and wanted to find out more about the lives of Kerra and her lovely childhood sweetheart Ross (who gave me massive Ross Poldark in a contemporary setting vibes!). This book continues the story where the first book ended, with Kerra and Ross keeping their relationship under wraps because their families have been at war for years, and because they want Kerra’s father Eddie to accept that Ross is nothing like his father Jago. Unfortunately things do not run smoothly when Jago arrives in Penvennan Cove from his home in Spain.

The characters in this series are really beginning to feel very real to me. I love Sy and Tegan, Drew and Felicity, and Ripley the cat, but I loved how we got to see more of Mrs Moyle and Arthur in the village shop this time. Also I have to give an honorary mention to the beautiful Bertie, the miniature schnauzer. As the dog mum of two miniature schnauzers, he was a lovely part of the story, and I have to say I loved the creative way in which Kerra and her neighbour Drew resolved the issues between Ripley and Bertie.

The sense of community is so strong in this series, and I love the way in which Kerra is able to help out so much of the village with her creative ideas and financial backing of the community. I liked the way in which she comes up with ideas that will help the village, from buying a house to rent to a young local who is priced out of accommodation by the tourist market, to setting up a community hub website enabling the locals to help one another, and keep even the most house-bound of people connected.

This is such a lovely gentle romance, that feels very authentic, and as with real life, the course of true love never runs smoothly with stumbling blocks and intrigue to overcome along the way. This story provides massive feel-good vibes that left me desperate to know how things are going to progress in the third, eagerly anticipated book in the series.
Making waves at penvennan Cove by Linn B. Halton.
For once, things are going well for thirty-year-old Kerra Shaw. She has a fulfilling job helping small businesses in the local community, she is within a few minutes' walk of all the people she loves best, and most importantly, she has finally got together with her childhood sweetheart, Ross.
It's not all plain sailing, though, because they have to keep their relationship a secret. The feud between their families still rages on, and Kerra doesn't want to pour fuel on its flame and risk losing everything.
But Kerra should know better than anyone that secrets don't stay hidden for long in a community like Penvennan Cove...
This was a really enjoyable read.  Great story and characters especially Kerra,Ross,Sienna,Sissy,Georgia,Sam,Poppy,Drew,Sly,Teagan,Nettie,Gawen, Yvonne, Alice,Tom,Betty and James and Eddie and Jago. There was a lot of characters which was a little confusing but the main character Kerra I loved and Ross. I hope there is more to come. 4*.
Kerry Shaw has returned to Cornwall following the sale of her successful London business.  She is keen to help local businesses and invest in the village but likes to keep her involvement low key.  She has also rekindled her relationship with Ross, her childhood sweetheart.  They  have decided to keep this private but Kerry soon realises that there are no secrets in a small community as rumours spread and family feuds resurface.  A really enjoyable escape to Pennvennan Cove.
A story about community, entrepreneurship and about sometimes having to choose your partner over your family.

Kerra is happy to be back home and creating a life for herself. She’s helping to support the community and encouraging locals to start their own small business ventures. But there’s one area of life that she’s struggling with. Her father can’t stomach the fact that she still loves Ross, whose father, Jago, treated him badly. Kerra tries to keep her relationship with Ross under wraps. But all hell breaks loose when Jago returns.

Will Kerra and Ross choose each other over their families? Will she be able to get over not having a relationship with her father? Will Ross be able to shake off the stranglehold Jago has over him?

A sweet, gentle romance that I truly enjoyed!
This is the 2nd book in the series and I did enjoy it, but you meet most of the characters etc in the first one so I think I personally would have enjoyed it even more if I had read the first one before this one
Great read though
Making Waves at Penvennan Cove - Linn B. Halton

I received an advance review copy for free thanks to NetGalley and Aria and I am leaving this review voluntarily

I have recently read the first book in this series so it was fresh in my mind when I started this one. It was nice to be back with the occupants of Penvennan Cove. Kerra is trying to help local businesses achieve their full potential - putting her career back on track after leaving London.

I feel that I got more enjoyment out of this book having already read Coming Home to Penvennan Cove, but I would hesitate to say that this could not be read as a standalone. I would highly recommend this series to anyone that enjoys a romance set in a seaside village.

Rating: 4/5