Cover Image: Getting His Game Back

Getting His Game Back

This was my first book by this author, It was pretty enjoyable. I would give this book a 45 star rating! It was a pretty Quick and easy read!
Any book that tackles mental health get a thumbs up from me! Add in that the book also dealt with toxic masculinity, interracial relationships, and feeling like the "other" -- it could have easily tried to do too much but Gia De Cadenet made it work. I'm already looking forward to reading more of her books.
I just love Gia De Cadeney and I really loved this book. I could not recommend enough!

This book was such an amazing story and honestly such a good escape. You fall in love with the characters and their world immediately. I can not wait to read more from Gia.
This was a cute book - and I loved that it talked about men and mental illness - that's definitely something that isn't regularly touched upon in the media. I also loved that the book dives into the intricacies of interracial relationships.

I loved the story and the general gist - the writing was a liiiitle cheesy at times, but it was a cute story with a lot of different dimensions to it.
While I liked the base concept and the sense of authenticity to mental health, this wasn't quite as balanced as I like my romances.  I think if the shop manager storyline was cut out, I would have given this an A+, its a solid B+ as a contemporary romance rn.
I loved this book! This story was fast-paced and sweet.

I thought the romance was great and the overall story was engaging and it kept me turning the pages.
This was absolutely delightful! I thoroughly enjoyed this book and these characters! It was funny and easy to read.
I thought I was getting into a lighter read but was pleasantly surprised to find it’s a great story that shares the insight of how some battle with mental health along with so many other huge topics that I think a lot of relationships face currently. This story was so good and several topics I’ve heard my good friends share about the dating world. What a great romance novel hat has depth.
The title of this will have you thinking it is a light rom-com and a perfect beach read. It is, but it is also so much more.  It explores multiple tough and truly important subjects such as mental health, love, interracial romance, gender stereotypes, familial expectations, internal expectations that include our own ideas of what the world expects from us when they do not align with what we want or need.  Khalil is hanging on and trying to keep both his mental health and business plan on the planned path.  He is sure all he has to do is stay focused and not deviate from the plan. Enter Vanessa and there goes the plan!  She also has her own plan/direction. She’s building a huge tech company (no easy feat, particularly for a woman and one of color) and having been burned before she has zero desire to lose focus. Then she meets Khalil and uh oh!  Its a great read to them figuring it all out.
“Getting His Game Back” was a deeper contemporary romance book that explored some of the difficulties with interracial dating in addition to going in deep with mental health issues of one of the protagonists..  At times, it felt like too much, too quickly, but I also appreciated the realness of some of these discussions.  Then, the traditional bedroom aspects of the book and the buildup were sexy.  Overall, I enjoyed this book and would read more by this author.  4 stars ⭐️.  Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for the copy in exchange for a review.
Was expecting a light hearted romance, got a deeper story.  A little repetitive but I still enjoyed it.
I started this one and I had a hard time getting into the book. It just wasn't grabbing me at the time, so I did not finish... I appreciate the consideration!
What made this book really unique was its representation of mental illness. Having a character struggle with depression, a non-white male character at that, was great. I appreciated the nuance this character had with the ways his depression manifested (not what you may typically think of as depression) and how he actively sought help from multiple places (medical and family/friends).
A steamy read wit some discussion of mental health. A recommended read.
A smart, thoughtful, sexy romance novel about interracial dating and mental health. I loved the chemistry the characters had and can't wait to read what Gia does next!
I flew through this one, I couldn’t put it down! I loved that it was a multicultural love story, the characters had their own battles, and it had all the necessary romance portions. Definitely recommend!
This was perfectly fine. Entertaining, but nothing memorable or that I'd want to keep on my shelf. It also felt forced at times, and I found it weird that a white man would use AAVE – it felt like it was bordering on appropriation. As a white woman I'm not sure how that would read to a Black person, so make sure to read some own voices reviews before proceeding with this one.
Getting His Game Back was a book that definitely gave me mixed emotions. I found the first half of the book a bit confusing due to the pacing and found myself trying to play catch-up to what was going on. What I do think was the star of this book was the open discussion about male mental health. This was one of the first stories I’ve ever read that really went deep into the topic. Khalil broke my heart again and again and Vanessa  and Darius were such a beautiful example of a support system.

~Special thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for e-copy in exchange for an honest review.
How can I put into words how AMAZING this book is! I read this book in one sitting because I could not put it down.

The representation for mental health was so hard but moving at the same time to read with the hero Khalil. There was no sugar coating or anything. I just loved it

Khalil was so sweet and his love for Vanessa was perfection. It made me swoon so much! I loved how relatable the book was for me especially with the look into interracial relationships. Being in an interracial relationship requires talks about different hardships and overcoming them & this book does it BEAUTIFULLY! Gia de Cadenet is now an auto buy author for me. 5 freakin Stars!
Getting His Game Back follows Vanessa and Khalil. Vanessa is a black woman who has negative experiences dating outside of her race. Khalil is a white man who has been struggling with his mental health and can't see himself getting back into the dating game anytime soon. I think it is important to emphasize mental health for men. Most of the time it is always focused on women. There are different conversations about interracial dating and dating black women. There is definitely SMUT in this book as you watch the relationship unfold.
Thank you to Random House Publishing Group and NetGalley for an advanced reader copy of “Getting His Game Back” by Gia de Cadenet. All opinions are my own.

⭐️⭐️⭐️

Starting with the beginning, I wanted more character development or maybe a stronger introduction of who they were as individuals before they meet so I’d be more invested in them as real people. The middle/main part of the story I enjoyed a lot and I love reading books where mental health is a big part of it (especially when it’s men talking about or experiencing it) but the ending felt a little abrupt! I would’ve liked more on Khalil’s journey with his mental health and some sort of update on how he’s doing. It’s implied to me that it’ll be better but I’d love confirmation or some visual of that and how it gets better. The last scene was cute but an epilogue of that being carried out would have been sweet.

I was left with a lot of questions too. What happened to his brother? Did he and his wife stay together or what? And we spent so much time on the drama at the shop but what happened with that? Is he working there again? Is the guy they fired gone and who replaced him? How was that resolved? I just needed a little more with the conclusion.