Cover Image: The Temperature of Me and You

The Temperature of Me and You

I’ve heard so much about this book. I’m so glad I finally got around to reading it! I really enjoyed the story, and the characters felt so real.
The Temperature of Me and You by @brianzepka is a young adult fiction tale about two teenagers who fall in love. You've heard that trope before, right. But WAIT! There's a twist. Dylan Highmark is 16 years old and is the only gay guy in his high school. He spends his time outside of school working part-time at Dairy Queen and the rest of the time he's hanging out with his best friends, Kirsten and
Perry. They're all worried about finishing high school and what comes next, but the one thing Dylan wasn't ready for was Jordan Ator. A story common to many first loves...when Jordan and Dylan meet, they experience an explosion! In this case, it's a real explosion. Jordan was the sole survivor of an electric vehicle malfunction
and subsequent crash that killed both his parents.
Although Jordan survived the crash, he was left
permanently changed due to the hydrogen battery
explosion. Little does Jordan know he can transfer this affliction to those he gets too close to. Unfortunately Dylan finds that out the hard way. You'll have to read this book to find out exactly how these two voung gay men survive their explosive first love. Thanks to @netgalley for the ARC copy of #AlITheThingsWeDontTalkAbout by Brian Zepka. #Igtbg
#lgbtqZia #pride #gay #yabooks #youngadultfiction
#queer #queerbookclub #queerbookstagram
This book has a beautiful cover, well-rounded characters, and a really fun premise. However, the main character makes every wrong decision, is a little too angsty, and overall reading this was giving me anxiety. I think a lot of people could really enjoy it, but it wasn't for me.
Realistic storyline of what it's like to be queer, imo. Wasn't fond of Kirsten due to her "not friendship" with Savannah, but I do appreciate Savannah's redemption, even though it doesn't begin to make up for her initial cruelty, but again, they're kids and kids do dumb things like that, even the Kirsten character. Would read again and rec to others, for sure.
I really enjoyed the premise of The Temperature of Me and You and loved Zepka's writing style but the store just wasn't engaging enough for me.

There was a bit of a slow build that didn't keep me invested enough in the story. I hear that it picks up speed about halfway through but I'm not sure that it truly pulled me in enough to keep interested to that point.
loveee, this was so cute and interesting.
Thank you to the publisher and Netgalley for providing me with an e-arc of this novel!
It took about halfway for the book to start kicking it in gear for me. And when it did, it was loads of fun.
I think the characters could’ve been pushed more and the romance a little less forced, but all in all a fun story.
Very excited to see the TV adaptation of this! I think that medium will really do it justice.
Dylan is your average gay high school boy in Pennsylvania - he's the only out gay kid in his year at a school that has an whopping 3 member in their GSA (none of whom are gay). He is part of a tight-knit trio of best friends with cheerleaders Kirsten and Perry, and has a wonderful supportive, intact family with two parents and an annoying little sister, who he loves very much. He also has a part-time job at the local Dairy Queen, which is going just as averagely as the rest of his life until one night a super hot boy walks in and explodes a Blizzard just by touching it. Because, as Dylan finds out shortly after, the boy is both literally and figuratively hot. Like body temperature of 110 degrees hot. Things are going mostly fine, until Dylan wakes up one day...and also has a body temperature of 110 degrees. The book then turns into a mixture of "hearken, an evil corporation!" and a classic story of high school first love and a boy trying to learn to balance his friends, family, and crush/boyfriend.

This is not a good book, but it is a fun book. Any reader walking into this expecting a literary masterpiece is going to be dramatically disappointed. But if what you really want is a book with the vibe of a mid-2000s Disney Channel Original, but gay, this is exactly what you need in your life. The story is fast-paced and interesting, the characters are fun to read about (even if their personalities are about as deep as a puddle), and the dynamics between the characters kind of just give you the warm fuzzies. I will admit that the conclusion of the evil corporation/sci-fi part of the plot was unsatisfying - it involved two plot twists/reveals and a deus ex machina in under 5 pages - but I cared much more about the other conflicts, so it didn't bother me too much. The Disney adaptation was announced within a week of this book being published, and I will absolutely be watching it.

Overall, I would recommend this to younger readers of YA who enjoy Maximum Ride type books but maybe want slightly more romance, and to the other queer Millennials like me who always wanted to see themselves in Disney Channel specials. Most high school and older Gen Z will probably be a solid miss on this one.
5/5 stars

This book was adorable, it accurately represented the teenage experience in a modern day technological world. (And this is coming from a high schooler :) And most importantly it was filled with beautiful queer joy and I think that's what every kid, especially queer kids, want to see is just real representation of the world we live in. I also enjoyed the way the author did incorporate the very real problem that is homophobia but also gave proper representation of a good support system and showing that there is always someone who cares about you.

Keep Spreading Queer Joy,
AG
The Temperature of Me and You was not what I expected it to be and would add that it's a sci fi/fantasy to the description. Having said that, it was a very sweet romance with a predatory corporate interest on it's heels.

Dylan has been taking flack for being the only out kid at his school for years and wants to have a boyfriend - one that he finds on his own and isn't a forced setup with someone he doesn't actually like. After a particularly bad fix up, the adorably cute Jordan walks into the DQ where he works. As Dylan tries to get close to Jordan, he finds Jordan has a lot to hide and a lot to fear. They both need to decide how much they can trust one another and if their relationship will be worth the challenges. A very sweet story about love, friendship, and finding your place in the world.
Sweet and interesting book with good rep and romance, cute read for anyone who enjoys this type of genre mix.
Great, fun YA!! I loved the writing, and I couldn't put this one down. If I could read it again, I would—I'm likely to pick up future books by this author, if I can, based on name alone.
Unfortunately not for me ... I'm not rating this anywhere else because I didn't finish the book. I think it'll definitely have an audience!! Just wasn't what I was, personally, hoping for from it.
Unfortunately, though I was really interested in the premise, this story just wasn't for me. The writing and the characters were okay, but overall nothing felt memorable.
It wasn't what i expected and i dont mean it in a negative way. I was expecting something MORE. More of the characters, the plot, the whole written, and by the end, it was just another book. Was it a good book? Yeah, but more of the same thing we've been consuming in the past years
i really tried to enjoy this book but something about it just felt off and i didnt really like it. i didnt connect with any of the characters and it was really hard to read.

yeah no this book is not for me. It read like a Disney Channel Original Movie but not in all the worst ways. Not much else to say beyond that for me.
I thoroughly enjoyed reading The Temperature of Me and You. It was an entertaining story for casual reading, that did not require excessive thought or complicated plot line and characters that were well written although fairly basic for a YA sci-fi queer romance. It was a fun one-time read that I'm glad I was able to read and would thoroughly support, however it was not particularly unique plotline that will stay with me for years to come. A great read for someone who is looking for a new story without the book hangover.
I loved this. I got this around the time I got another book and I'm a mood reader, I was in the mood for the other one so I finished that. I was also in a book slump so instead of 2 days it took me about 20 and at like 24 days left I started this, around like 18 days I finished. I loved the idea plot and outcome. I loved how Dylan was, how he accepted the person who bullied him just because they had no one else to accept them. I love how much he cared for his family, friends, and Jordan. I loved how Jordan was too, desperate to protect Dylan and everyone else. O hated that doctor how could you tell 2 teenagers they're going to die and disrupt their lives because of your science experiment? Anyway I loved it sm defo would recommend
This one was cute! I really enjoyed it. I don't usually reach for a contemporary romance, even if it has a hint of speculativeness to it, but this really surprised me! I thought that the writing was really good.

While there were some things that had me rolling my eyes (not in a bad way, just cause some scenes were overdramatic, but I don't fault the book for that, it's literally about teens 😹) I thought the it was still a moving story and it's a good read for teens!