Cover Image: The Kindred

The Kindred

I will be completely honest here: this book did not manage to pull me in at all and I did not even finish it.
This book is one with a lot of heart and cute moments! I liked reading about Joy and Felix and them working together! I did find the execution a bit lacking though, I expected more from the sci-fi setting.
A swoon worthy scifi! Just can't go wrong with that. It is more niche than fantasy romance but this a quality addition to the genre. Also the cover is pure art! High rec where this genre is popular!
This book started out a little slow and a bit all over the place, but once you really get to know the characters, you really start to love this book. There were a few confusing bits in terms of the world and what the aliens did and didn't know once getting to earth, but it was fun to have perspective from the aliens, rather than from the people of earth. 3.5 rounded up.
This review is based on an advanced reader's copy.

I loved this book and wanted to be a kindred. How cool does that sound? Being linked with someone who knows you inside and out with little to no effort. Sign me up. An original take on star crossed lovers and being the "wrong" person for each other.
I really enjoyed this book and I really can't wait to read more books from this author in the future. The writing was really great.
I really liked the premise. I really liked the introduction and the lead up to the action. I really liked the two leads, who felt real, even in all their teenage mess of hormones. There could have been more world building, but it’s a hard balance with YA. But then our alien friends went to Earth, where they had to deal with racism against Black and Middle Eastern, and shopping for plus size clothing (since our lead is described over and over as “round”). This carries on for a huge portion of the book. This was selected as more important than the pending galaxy war, than the potential murder of their parents, or anything else that the story could have brought forward.

To sum up, it’s a good story that many of our kids will relate to and deals with important issues. I just had such high hopes for a book written by an emerging Black female author about aliens with links in their heads, that it wasn’t going to feel preachy about how much racism sucks and that it was going to be different from the others that have been released recently by Black authors. Unfortunately it was more of the same, which is fair, because racism is awful and racism still exists and Black people have been mistreated for decades. This is what she knows, so this is what she writes about.

Thank you to NetGalley and Inkyard Press for the ARC.
The Kindred was absolutely adorable. I loved the plot and the characters. The fact that earth was like our Mars was a fun twist to the story. The friends that they meet on Earth added to the story by  a lot. It wasn't just a story set in space but also included familiar things. The romance between Joy and Felix was pure. My only negative note was that certain aspects were repetitive. For example, they mentioned Joy's weight all the way through the book, it got redundant. It's amazing to have a plus size  character but we get it. I will definitely reccommend the Kindred.
I spotlighted The Kindred as book of the day and included it in my weekly and monthly roundups of new releases on my Black Fiction Addiction platforms.
On the distant planet of Hali, Kindreds are mind-pairings that connect two people throughout their lives, whether they are rich or poor. Joy Abara is an ordinary girl, but she’s known for being the Kindred of Duke Felix Hamdi. They are closer than two people can be. Some people marry their Kindred, but Joy and Felix can’t marry since he’s from a noble family. Despite that, they still want to meet and continue their close relationship. However, when the royal family is assassinated, Felix is next in line for the throne and he is also the prime suspect. Joy is also a target since she is so close to Felix. He finds Joy and they escape to a distant planet called Earth. They have to navigate Earth while also fleeing from the those hunting for them and learning to love each other.

This was a fun science fiction story. The idea of Kindreds was exciting and terrifying. The Kindreds had a special and unique bond. They experienced everything together, even if they had never met. They could hear each other’s thoughts and feel each other’s feelings. The downside is that they can feel each other’s pain, and potentially die if their Kindred dies. This made Joy vulnerable when Felix was in trouble and created a lot of conflict and tension.

Music was an important part of this story, just like it was in Alechia Dow’s novel The Sound of Stars. This story also featured some of the same musicians that were in that book, so they were set in the same world. I love it when there are subtle connections between books like that. The ending of this book was also open to a continuation, so I hope there will be more books set in this world.

The Kindred is an exciting new story!

Thank you HarperCollins for providing a copy of this book.
The push to have books for all shapes, sizes, color, etc is wonderful; however it must be genuine. This novel is just another title with focused diversity. This work needed help with plot and story. The characters and world building were wonderful up to a point and then it falls short..
I liked the premise of this book, but I just didn't like the characters..  I ended up not finishing it.
The Kindred was everything I love in a book. This YA Sci-Fi had a unique world (or rather universe) but was also set in very familiar territory, so it was an easy and enjoyable read. There was a lot of diverse representation among the entire cast of characters and the plot was engaging and somewhat suspenseful. Romance did play a decently large part in the overall themes, so much so that I would even go as far as to classify this as a romantic suspense.

I listened to the audio as well and really enjoyed the narration. I would definitely recommend it for audio lovers.
The Kindred is Alechia Dow's latest novel, and I have been hearing SO much about it. I just knew that I had to give it a try. Okay, I'll confess that the title also caught my attention.

A galactic kingdom took drastic measures to prevent a revolution – they ensured that every person, regardless of wealth and class, was heard. They did so by creating mind-pairings, where every person has a mind-linked partner.

Joy Abara and Felix Hamdi are one such pair. They have never met in person and have very little in common. Unless you count their connection, of course. Yet events are about to spiral in such a way where their meeting is inevitable – as they will have to work together to survive.

“I love her with every part of my body, soul, mind, and molecules.”

I'm struggling to find words for how The Kindred made me feel. On the one hand, I enjoyed it. On the other hand, I feel like the concept could have been pushed even further. Maybe that's just me?

I absolutely adore that The Kindred merged romance with science fiction. I'm a sucker for that combination if I'm being honest. I also love the LGBT rep that was included and many other elements (including the mind-pairing concept).

I think part of the problem is that I didn't read The Sound of Stars (it's on my TBR list!), and while The Kindred isn't technically a sequel to it, it is very clearly based in the same universe. So I'm reasonably confident that I missed out on a fair amount of nuance and worldbuilding. I will have to go back and read The Sound of Stars ASAP so I can better appreciate The Kindred.

Interestingly, it does feel like The Kindred is more like two books. The first part of the book has heavier science fiction elements and lots of creative worldbuilding decisions. Then there's a sudden shift, creating a sharp transition to something that leaned more romantic and contemporary. I'm not complaining here – just noting how quickly it shifted. Overall, I think I liked the first part more, but that is just my love for science fiction speaking.
It took me entirely too long to get through this book. And that's because irl kept getting in the way. With a solid sophomore book, Alechia Dow is officially on my autobuy list. All hail the new YA Scifi Queen. 👑 💫

(quote)I see humans always use fiction to understand reality, Felix murmurs. Fiction makes reality more fun, though. Stories make sense of our worlds. Or, he says perceptively, they use these comparisons to obscure their own reality, to liken that which they do not know into something simpler.(quote)

The Kindred was just as much an adventure as The Sound of Stars. And dare I say I loved The Kindred even more. The Sound of Stars was the story of humanity and Earth being invaded by aliens. In The Kindred, we have the aliens accidentally finding themselves on Earth. Both stories have similar vibes with music, books, and the humanity underneath the art being the hearts of the story. And I think Alechia does a beautiful job of turning finding that humanity into a universally galactic worthy journey.

In The Kindred, everyone has a Kindred, which is the process of being matched telepathically to another person right after you are born. It's a soulmate type of bond that is supposed to give a voice to everyone no matter what their station or status is. Except... Joy and Felix should have never been matched. Filled with betrayal, secrets, love, and friendship; The Kindred will make you question everything.
This book was just okay for me. It felt more like a contemporary YA wrapped up in a sci-fi package than a sci-fi novel, as most of the book takes place on earth. There's lot of good commentary about earth, but there's almost so much that it gets lots in the book.

I think this would be a great pick for someone looking to explore sci-fi and ease into it.
Alechia Dow was already an insta-read author after her wonderful debut, but this one cemented that further. I loved the main characters so much, and their flaws were realistic despite being from other planets. The nod to Dow's first title was also a nice Easter egg. I hope this makes its way into as many teens' hands as possible for a variety of reasons.
The kindred relationship was lovely, and the Black joy and fat girl rep was wonderful, but I ultimately had greater hopes for this book. It begins as a space opera with introductions to a complex system of planets, tech, history, and politics - which is what I wanted! - but quickly shifts to an ongoing list of all of humanity's faults and focuses more on earthlings than other worlds. There are many space operas that discuss social injustice and do so very well, but they also have the length to be able to dive into those topics and really let their worlds and characters develop and grow and change. That's what I wanted from this book, but unfortunately it was not there.
3.5 stars.  I really liked the premise of having a kindred since birth, and I loved Joy and Felix together.  The plot (or the feel of it) was a bit discombobulated for me, hence the lower rating, but it was still an enjoyable read for me :)

Left reviews on Amazon and Goodreads
On this episode of Everything is Canon, Steve talks to author Alechia Dow all about her new book The Kindred, which is described as, “To save a galactic kingdom from revolution, Kindred mind-pairings were created to ensure each and every person would be seen and heard, no matter how rich or poor…”

To listen to the author interview, click the link below...