Cover Image: Cause of Death

Cause of Death

Cause of Death is suspenseful and reels you in from the beginning. It's very well written, and kept me entertained. I was able to finish fairly quickly.
ARC provided by Netgalley in exchange for an honest review .
This book had me hooked from page one! My favorite part of reading this genre is when there are unexpected twists and turns, and the author of this novel delivered. Would definitely recommend!
Entertaining, twisty, tense, and intriguing, CAUSE OF DEATH is a great story from author Jeffery Deaver,

Check out more reviews at - https://www.bestthrillerbooks.com/ankit-dhirasaria
Amazing book! Loved this story and highly recommend it! I look forward to more books by this author, enjoy the continued high quality.
Fabulous story that I could not put down.  Would highly recommend to fans of this genre.  Great writing, and I will look for more from this author.
Amazing book! Loved this story and highly recommend it! I look forward to more books by this author!
I love Lincoln Rhyme and I was thrilled to read this. this is a short story, which I usually avoid, but I wasn't disappointed. Fast paced and thrilling as always I enjoyed this.
Jon Talbot is positive his wife’s death wasn’t an accident and he won’t stop until he knows the truth, even if it kills him too. A wonderful short story by one of the masters of mystery! Be prepared to fly through this story in one sitting, it is that addicting.
Thank You to Amazon Original Stories and NetGalley for an advance copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.

I will read any and all books by Jeffery Deaver, Lincoln Rhyme being one of my favorite series ever.
I don't read a lot of short stories because I find I'm always wanting more, not the case with this one. Cause of Death is one short story that delivered a big dose of satisfaction for me. I enjoyed the characters, the progression and the ending of this quick read.
We meet Jon Talbot at the funeral of his wife Pax, who was killed in a car accident. Jon isn't sure that is how she really died. Being a History professor has taught him to be a detective when it comes to historical events and he uses this skill to put together the last days of her life. It turns out that he didn't know his wife as well as he thought he did.
A quick and predictable read. Although the premise is intriguing the short length of this story doesn't allow a natural development and proper escalation. It's ok to read if you've got an hour to spend.
I received an eARC of this short story from Netgalley.
I enjoyed this.  It was a fast paced, interesting read.  Had me invested to keep going and see how it ended.  A bit unrealistic but a fun read.
Jeffery Deaver can surely writes a story that keeps hooked, this one was no exception.
Gripping, entertaining and full of twists.
Highly recommended.
Many thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for this ARC, all opinions are mine
After a long break from reading Jeffery Deaver, I decided to try his writing again with this short story. As always, I enjoy his characters so much. Even though this is short, the characters engaged me from the beginning. I enjoy his detailed writing and so wish this would have been longer so we could have gotten more of it. Fun short read!
Thanks to Netgalley for a copy of this book for an honest review.

With my last couple of reads being disappointed,  this was a pleasant surprise.  Though short,  I love a book that makes me say 'what??' every few pages!!
I've been a huge fan of Jeffery Deaver for a long time. Love the Lincoln Rhyme novels, but I had never read of his short fiction. Short fiction can be tricky even for the best of writers, so I wasn't sure what to expect. Bottomline, I enjoyed the heck out of this story of a man's search for the truth about his wives death. Excellent characters, a gripping, tight story. I'll definitely be checking out more of Deaver's short works soon.

A reader can count on Deaver to  deliver an engrossing story. This short story let’s a history professor discover more about his wife, after her death. The plot was decisive and the reading went fast. It’s a nice fill in until his next full length book comes out.
This is the first book I have read from Jeffery Deaver. I found this short story hard to get into but I sticked  with it to the end.  I will definitely try reading a longer book of his to see if I get in better with it. I felt like there was lot going on due to it being a short story and just got bit lost at times but I can imagine for Jeffery Deaver fans this is really good read . Thank you NetGalley for letting me read this book.
I've read many of the Lincoln Rhymes novels, but this the first short story I've read by Jeffery Deaver. It was a great read. The pacing was a little fast, but it fit with the whirlwind of events the main character when through. I would love to see this turned into a full length novel.
Jeffery Deaver's 2021 release novella Cause of Death is an entertaining read.
While the shorter form necessitates a more concentrated plot and less opportunity for developing characters and setting, Deaver skilfully draws his readers into the world of the protagonist and delivers a fitting, if rather eye-popping, conclusion to an intriguing mystery.
We meet history professor Jon Talbot as he attends the mortuary in Martinsville County, Massachusetts to identify the body of his late wife, Patience, known as Pax. She's been killed in a road accident, having apparently swerved to avoid a deer on the road at night. Jon's suffering from the dislocation of sudden and unexpected bereavement, but soon senses that things don't really add up. An unfamiliar man lurks in the background at Pax's funeral and a police visit to his home reveals that Pax's phone and laptop have gone missing in the aftermath of her accident. Or was it an accident at all?
We follow Jon as he teases apart the many threads of Pax's hidden past and her secretive behaviour in the months prior to her death. His amateur investigations lead him to uncover indications of infidelity and involvement in some sort of covert activity, culminating in an unexpectedly violent confrontation as he finally uncovers the truth behind Pax's death.
I found myself becoming invested in Jon's search for answers as the truth behind his wife's death is gradually revealed, but must admit that I found the story's conclusion quite jarring and not completely satisfying. I certainly don't expect contemporary thrillers to follow "the rules" of detective fiction by any means, but (without wishing to drop spoilers) the conclusion to Cause of Death felt just a little too much out of left field to me.
Especially in light of the shorter format, Deaver's considerable skills as a writer of thrillers are evident in Cause of Death. His prose is sparse but punchy, the dialogue convincing and the characters multi-dimensional and well conceived. Both existing followers of Jeffery Deaver's oeuvre and newcomers are sure to find this a stimulating and rewarding read.
My thanks to the author, Jeffery Deaver, publisher Amazon Original Stories and NetGalley for the opportunity to read and review this novella.
Interesting and well written, and fits a lot into a short story. I would recommend this to other people.