Cover Image: Gallant

Gallant

From the characters to the plot to the horrifying setting, I was pulled in by this story that never let go. Olivia's journey from finding her family to learning about the truths of their morbid existence kept me intrigued throughout, and I finished it feeling dizzy from everything she endures and overcomes. Gallant is heartbreaking and spooky, and has a similar feel to many Neil Gaiman stories.
I absolutely loved this atmospheric and gorgeously written story. V.E. Schwab never disappoints; her stories are always so richly told and her characters are so unique and well written. This is the perfect magical story to read in a single rainy afternoon!
Hauntingly great story. Another wonderful tale from the very talented V.E. Schwab.  Always ready for another!
Hauntingly beautiful. I’ve always been a fan of Victoria’s writing and this did not disappoint. The prose were beautiful. You can feel the inspiration she draws from Neil Gaiman but weaves it as a unique version of her very own. I never have to worry about whether or not her stories will have atmosphere because they always drip with it. Her characters are lovable and her villains absolutely villainous.

My one critique is that I would not give this to a child to read. YA, sure. Adult, yes. Some of the themes I would not want a MG kiddo to read just yet.

Otherwise, fantastic.
I love VE Schwabs adult books but this was my first YA of hers. It was really good! I enjoyed the story and the writing. It was a little slow at some parts, but overall I liked it. I wrote a staff pick for it to put on display.
This was my first foray into V.E. Schwab despite so many friends telling me I NEEDED to read her. I wish I'd read her earlier! Schwab's writing is atmosphere and vivid. I felt like I was in the world she built. She balanced elements of horror and adventure perfectly. This book has so much crossover appeal, I know I'll be able to recommend it to a wide variety of folks.
This was an eerie and quick read! VE Schwab has such a way of making stories so atmospheric and engaging. I do hope she continues this spooky style of writing! The entire story was immersive. I loved the characters, the house, even the ghouls. It takes a lot of talent to put so much into such a small book but this author nailed it.
Delightfully spooky and atmospheric, this may have been one of the creepiest books for young readers I've read! With hints of The Secret Garden and Coraline, an orphan explores a newfound relative's gloomy and seemingly haunted estate is lured to a hidden door and discover a dark secret about herself and her family. Suspenseful, creepy, gory - I loved it! An absolute page-turner, I'd say it's perfect for upper middle grade readers aging out of Schwab's City of Ghosts series, looking for a scary read that's not TOO scary.
V.E. Schwab is quickly becoming a favorite author in terms of how beautiful I find her writing style. Her work with Gallant was no different. The imagery was vivid and did a wonderful job of setting the scene for this spooky story. I have seen some folks tag this book as 'horror' but it didn't quite hit that category for me. I would say this has a mysterious Crimson Peak-esque vibe instead.

The story follows Olivia, an orphan living in a girls' home. She is outcasted from her peers largely due to the fact that she is nonverbal. Olivia finds solace in the only possession she has inherited from her mother - a journal that appears to chronicle her mother's descent into madness. One day, a letter arrives and calls Olivia home to a family she did not know existed. She finds herself traveling to Gallant, the ancestral home of the Priors, and the one place her mother warned about in the journal. At Gallant, Olivia finds clues about her parents and the secret generations of Priors have kept.

Gallant feels like V.E. Schwab carefully curated each word. This was definitely what I enjoyed most, but unfortunately, the book left me feeling like it was mostly vibes and less plot-driven. It could just be me - I am finding that Y.A. books tend to frustrate me more than it used to in general. I still think fans of V.E. Schwab will enjoy Gallant overall.
Gallant is a YA horror/mystery with simple yet captivating world-building and gothic and eerie vibes. The artwork and cover of the book are stunning and really capture the mood of the story. It started quite strong, however the slow pace made it difficult at times to connect with the story. I felt the secondary characters and some plot points weren't as well fleshed out and the ending a bit rushed. However, Schwab's writing is as always beautifully descriptive, emotional and lyrical. If you are a fan of her writing and love a spooky read, you will enjoy a visit to Gallant!
Crimson Peak meets Victoria Schwab

This novel was 5/5! Absolutely LOVED it. I love anything V.E/Victoria Schwab writes.

“Gallant” is a creepy, dark novel about a mute girl who meets up with her estranged family on her mother’s side. Their house is extravagant; beautiful! But something’s not quite right… follow Olivia and her discovery of a world full of shadows.

The ARTWORK! Wow!!! Absolutely beautiful and full of meaning. The writing is wonderfully full of meaning. This book is for low fantasy and dark academia lovers.
“Gallant” is elegantly written and is a unique book with a creepy and foreboding vibe. As a slower paced horror story, the suspense and mystery are first and foremost the draw of the reading experience. Very few, if any, jump scares may cause some readers to put it down, but I still think my more mature middle schoolers will appreciate the beautiful prose and goosebump-worthy creepiness.
This book was hauntingly beautiful.  I loved the main character.  The story drew me in right away.  It reminded me of Jane Eyre, The Secret Garden and Crimson Tide. The writing was just so beautiful.  I also loved the illustrations. They added so much to the book.  This is a definitely a book I will reread and recommend to all. The only part I didn't like was the abrupt ending.
Another captivating, dark and incredible piece of work from VE Schwab. While this book is technically classified as YA, I feel like it surpasses genre expectations and can be a good recommendation for all ages. Schwab crafts an eerie world of Gallant, with beautiful illustrations included throughout the book that truly add to the reader's experience. Highly recommend!
Gallant was properly enthralling. Having a main character that doesn't speak would be hard for any writer to pull off, but VE Schwab does it amazingly well. Olivia is a fascinating main character and her plucky spirit and inquisitive mind really drive this narrative forward. I would have liked just a bit more worldbuilding, some further explanation of the world the reader finds themselves in, but overall the story was very captivating.
Many thanks to NetGalley and Greenwillow Books for an e-arc of Gallant! All opinions are my own.

Let me start by saying I'm a huge fan of Schwab's writing. I own pretty much all of her books (minus ADSOM and Vengeful). I was worried about starting this one because I don't do spooky. I can confidently say it's the perfect amount of spooky for someone who does not like horror. I really enjoyed seeing the illustrations, and I liked the incorporation of the journal entries. The mystery of Gallant was really interesting. I kind of want to know what happens next after the epilogue.

If you like slightly spooky reads, Gallant would be perfect for you. It can be enjoyed by many different age groups as it's written to appeal to many different people. I think Gallant would be a great October read as well.
What an absolutely gorgeous book! The illustrations were so eerie and complemented the story brilliantly! Schwab’s prose was dark and dreamy and while I never got the shivers, this was a very fun gothic read!
Schwab does it again with another gorgeously written book. Gallant is the perfect atmospheric book to read, especially around the fall/spooky season, I feel. While the pacing wasn’t my favorite, I enjoyed the eery silence of Olivia’s world as she tries to piece together her past and present.
I enjoyed this new YA book from V.E. Schwab so much, even more than Addie Larue - I will be recommending it to library patrons as a fast-paced read this summer.
I'm surprised I didn't like this more. Victoria Schwab is a wonder but I didn't connect with Olivia as a character, or believe in her relationships with other characters. I'd recommend City of Ghosts (her Cassidy Blake series) instead.