Cover Image: Ready for Launch

Ready for Launch

While this is essentially a condensed version of Kelly's book, Endurance, I still really enjoyed it. I think our student patrons will really enjoy it even more because we have a large number of students who are interested in space and astrophysics. I just ordered several copies for the collection.
I received an ARC of this book for a fair review:

This book is essentially a "greatest hits" compilation from the author's book 'Endurance'. It focuses on a few great pieces of advice backed up by the author's real life experiences and stories. A great read for fans of astronauts, high school students getting ready to graduate, and more.
Scott Kelly has distilled his book "Endurance" into ten life lessons for middle/high school students.  In each lesson, Kelly takes an important event in his life, explains what he learned and demonstrates how he applied it later in different situations. In a classroom setting, these lessons would make good read-alouds and discussions.  A definite recommend.

Thank you, NetGalley, for the ARC.
This was a great middle grade non-fiction read.  Kelly is self aware enough that he points out his flaws as a person and how they both hurt him as an astronaut and helped him to learn about himself.  The anecdotes are interesting and at times harrowing.  I could see this being used in non-fiction book clubs at a middle school or in the upper elementary grades.
Scott Kelly is a phenomenal person, and I am always thrilled to read a "for younger readers" nonfiction book written by a hero. It's a great deep dive into his development as a kid to the commander of the International Space Station. He makes everything relatable to regular folks, and seeing that big dreams are achievable!