Cover Image: The Fall

The Fall

'The Fall' by Evie Hunter is a revenge thriller by an author I haven't heard of before this book. One thing I love is being introduced to new authors through my blogging and consider myself honoured to be a part of the book blogging world. Once I picked it up I was definitely drawn into Lauren Miller's world.
We meet Lauren Miller who has been released from a six year prison sentence for a crime she didn't commit. Now she is back and determined to bring the real culprits to justice. Journalist Nate Black is intrigued by Lauren’s story. Is she the innocent victim she claims to be or is there more to her past? Eager to learn more he offers to help Lauren clear her name and bring the real villains to justice. But with millions of pounds still missing, Lauren remains the prime suspect…and the main target in an increasingly deadly game. And as Lauren’s plan with Nate reaches its shocking climax, no one knows who will ultimately take the fall…
A truly gritty, gripping and hard hitting thriller with a plot that immersed me immediately. This was a book in which the tension slowly built then came to a crescendo that makes you take a deep breath before you race through to the ending without taking a breath almost. Lauren Miller was a character that I didn't know if I fully trusted her. Just something made me wary but it may be because I think everyone is up to something with the amount of thrillers I read these days. This made for an even more intriguing story as I was always second guessing as the story unfolded.
  'The Fall' is an excellently written unpredictable thriller that has made me curious to see more from Evie Hunter in the future. I would recommend this to fans of Kerry Kaya and Gemma Rogers, definitely.
  Thanks to Rachel's Random Resources and Boldwood Books for my copy of the book.
After spending the past six years in prison for a crime she didn’t commit, Lauren Miller has very little but revenge on her mind, and making those that had her wrongly accused pay for their actions.

As news of Lauren’s case starts to spread as her release date arrives, journalist Nate Black finds himself intrigued by the scandal surrounding Lauren and her innocence, something that has yet to be proven. But the more he delves into the story, he becomes convinced that she is in fact the innocent party in all of this and makes it his own personal mission to help her clear her name.

But the people who are in fact behind the missing money are incredibly dangerous and lure Lauren and Nate into their twisted web of deceit and betrayal, and the more Lauren and Nate dig for information, the more danger they face – and as they finally uncover the truth, they realise not everyone is going to come out of this unscathed after all.

From the moment I started reading this book I found myself hooked. The storyline is utterly captivating and has you invested in Lauren’s life and the outcome she thrives for. With each chapter the suspense levels increase, leaving you on the edge of your seat and desperate to read on late into the night to uncover the truth.

The characters are well fleshed out and have complex, well developed personalities that add a new depth to this already thrilling story. With an abundance of twists and turns and an outcome that had me truly shocked, this was a fantastic read that I would highly recommend to you all!.
So, I didn't really like this book.
A woman has just been released from prison, I was expecting her to be either traumatized or hardened. While Lauren claimed that she was hardened, I did not think so.
I liked Lauren, however I did not like the romance between Lauren and Nate. It was not necessary for the story. And the story, already with very little thrill, became even less so due to the romance.
The sex was okay... but I wanted to read a thriller.
What I really hated was Lauren kept saying she didn't trust anyone but a couple days in and she just tells Nate everything. I found that part to be a little unrealistic
The blurb to this book intrigued me and of course, I had to read it. It turned out to be quite the thriller! Fast-paced, steamy and full of detail.

I really felt for Lauren, all she wanted was to be left alone so she could start afresh after being released from a 3-year sentence. Although she did do what she was accused of, insider trading, she was also incarcerated for someone else's crime. However, she has been dreaming of getting her own revenge for the whole 3 years inside. Lauren never thought she would get the chance to exact her revenge.

The relationship between Nate and Lauren seemed a bit far-fetched, but was the sex steamy? Oh yes, it was, Hunter definitely has a skill for making everyone blush, no matter how many sex scenes they read.

Overall, would I recommend this book? Yes I would, it was fast-paced, steamy, chilling, thrilling, suspenseful and everything in between. The characters were engaging and the story kept moving forward. It was a brilliant read.
📕A great thriller, if you love stories about revenge, plenty of action, full of suspense then this is the perfect read for you.
Brilliant story line and very easy to read.
Brilliant 🤩
I have never read a book by this author before but I will definitely be reading more. This book was really really good well worth a read .
Cover: Hm. I have to admit I’m not a fan.

Fall and redemption with a twist would be an appropriate subheading for The Fall. Lauren has been caught twice in games bigger than her. In the backstory, she had to serve some time in prison; now, she’s on probation and she has to put together a new life – until another curveball heads her way.

Lauren herself is a great MC. She’s presented as the rich kid who made a mistake and paid the price, but Hunter doesn’t fall into an easy trap by writing her as spoiled. No, Lauren is smart and capable, able to take care of herself and well-aware of what she wants. Kudos for character growth too, a feat I’m always happy to see and highlight in my reviews.

The other MC, Nate, reminds me of those old noir books; he’s a reporter, so he has a solid reason to get involved in Lauren’s life, but he’s got morals under that tough exterior.

Structure-wise, the book is split in two parts: one detailing Lauren’s life after getting out of prison, and one exacting revenge with the help of some friends. The first part is a little slower than the second one, but they’re both enjoyable – I do like seeing characters delivering retribution.

A good writing style adds to the book. Slow beginning aside, as I already pointed out, my interest got piqued around the inciting incident, and ain’t that textbook? Good job here.

Maybe the only thing—well, character—I don’t like is Jeff. He’s a decent villain, but I feel he’s too clear-cut; he would have benefited from some shades of gray, I guess. That and the POV switch prevent me from giving The Fall a five stars review. A solid four is well-deserved here, and I’m looking forward to seeing what Hunter’s gonna have in store for us in the future.
4 STAR  Review, By Niki Preston

Danger and Intensity lies around every corner in The Fall. On several occasions I took a sharp intake of breathe and found myself telling Lauren (in my head) “Don’t go in there” She never listened though. Lauren comes across as a very capable, strong woman but as I got to know her character I soon found out there was a huge layer of uncertainty buried deep with in her. Her time in prison has meant that she has created a wall of distrust and its not easy to break that wall down. The rather gorgeous Nate who seemingly comes to her rescue on many occasions finds her pulling him in to her life and all it’s complications. Will he help her get her revenge on her ex partner? Will he ever break down that wall? Does he really believe everything she is telling him? Is his Knight in Shining armour persona really all it’s cracked up to be?

One of the characters I fell for almost straight away is the stray dog who follows Lauren home but soon becomes her greatest ally. He’s a feisty little chap who will not let anyone he distrusts near Lauren. He saves her on a couple of occasions and I felt so proud of him. He is the only one who breaks down Laurens barriers almost immediately and becomes her safety net. He takes to Nate straight away and makes Lauren think he just be trustworthy even though she has reservations about him.

The Fall is definitely for you if you love a good fast paced thriller with many twists and turns along the way. A strong female central character with flaws that make her come across as a genuine individual with the moral strength to get through each and every troublesome day.
Really good book. A little slow to start but once it gets going it's full of twists and turns and will have you on the edge of your seat.
Prior to being invited to take part in the blog tour for ‘The Fall’, I must admit that I hadn’t come across Evie Hunter before.  I love discovering new authors and so without further ado, I dived straight in.  Overall I did enjoy reading ‘The Fall’ but more about that in a bit.
I can’t really say that I especially warmed to the character of Lauren Miller and I certainly didn’t trust her.  There was just something that set off little alarm bells for me.  It could of course be the fact that I have read too much crime fiction and I assume nothing, believe nobody and challenge everything.  She is released from prison after serving a jail term for financial crimes.  She is adamant that she wasn’t working alone but nobody appears to believe her.  After her release she keeps herself to herself and works hard in the little café in the layby.  To a degree, Lauren is not looking forward to her ‘secret’ location being leaked and her past catching up with her.  However, Lauren is also determined to take her revenge on the person who she claims was just as involved in the crimes as she was.  What happens?  Well for the answer to that question and so much more you are going to have to read the book for yourselves to find out.
I must admit that for me, the story was a little slow to get going.  I think the fact that there was a fair amount of financial and legal jargon towards the beginning of the story and I switched off a little bit.  However, once the story got going that was it and I was away.  Rather than read this book in one long reading binge, I binge read it over the course of a few days, which actually helped me to enjoy the story.  I had my own ideas as to what was going to happen so I had to keep reading to see if I was anywhere near the truth or I had the wrong end of the stick entirely.  I would become so wrapped up in the story that I would lose all track of time and just how quickly I was getting through the story.  I found ‘The Fall’ to be an interesting read, which kept me guessing and kept me on my toes.
‘The Fall’ is well written.  The author certainly knows how to grab the reader’s attention and then reel the reader in as it were.  For me, the story did hit the ground running and maintained a fairly fast pace throughout.  This is one of those stories where the tension levels increase gradually and gather momentum before ending in a dramatic conclusion.  Reading ‘The Fall’ felt like being on an times scary and unpredictable rollercoaster ride with several twists and turns along the way.
In short and overall, I did enjoy reading ‘The Fall’ and I would recommend this book to other readers.  Fans of Kerry Barnes and Kerry Kaya will particularly enjoy ‘The Fall’.  I will certainly be reading more of Evie’s work in the future.  The score on the Ginger Book Geek board is a very well deserved 4* out of 5*.
She’s out of prison, she out for revenge and she’s running out of time!

A fantastic intense, gripping, and fast-paced thriller that kept me intrigued right up to the cleverly written conclusion. This is perfect for anyone who enjoys gangland and criminal thrillers, with a little bit of raunchiness thrown in for good measure.

I really enjoyed learning about Lauren Miller and as a leading character, I loved to see the softer side under the harsh, strong exterior.

My only critic would be that some parts were a little predictable but this could be because I’ve read so many others in this genre!
The Fall is a detailed fast paced story that is well thought out and easy to follow. The story holds the reader's attention from the first page...
I like how Hunter has created an simplistic and well researched plot that provides the reader with a lot of details....
The character development of The Fall is ok. The characters are interesting and relatable. I like the fact that Lauren is a strong willed character... Lauren has changed since she has been in prison but the feelings of revenge after been betrayed by Jeff are a constant. The connection between Lauren and Nate is introduced and has a cat and mouse feel to it...
I personally felt that the sex scenes that are very steamy didn't relate to the story....
I would recommend reading The Fall to lovers of Thrillers, as it is a character driven story that takes the reader on a journey of discovery as they follow the drama and finally find out the answer to everyone's questions...what happened to the money?
Evie Hunter’s The Fall is a gritty, hard-hitting and shocking thriller where the pace never flags and the twists and turns will keep readers on the edge of their seats barely able to catch their breath.

Lauren Miller spent six years behind bars for a crime she didn’t commit. Finally free, Lauren is a woman on a mission determined to bring to justice the people who had wronged her and who had destroyed her life. Adamant that she will make them pay for all the misery and anguish they had heaped upon her, Lauren is not going to stop until she wreaks her revenge and when journalist Nate Black comes into her life willing to help her out in her quest to exonerate herself, she thinks she has struck gold. But is Nate the friend she needs in her corner right now? Or an ambitious foe who might end up putting her back behind bars?

Nate has always been intrigued by Lauren’s story. Is she a ruthless criminal or an innocent victim who took the blame for something she didn’t do? Nate will use his investigative skills and knowledge to help Lauren bring the real villains to justice, but with a million pounds still missing, she is still suspect number one. As Lauren and Nate begin playing with fire, the target on their back gets bigger and bigger. But when Lauren’s plan takes an unexpected and sinister turn, just who is going to end up taking the fall?

Evie Hunter amps up the danger, tension and suspense in her gripping thriller, The Fall. Dark, brutal and terrifying, The Fall is a brilliantly constructed chiller that effortlessly takes readers into the beating heart of the criminal underbelly and will keep them absolutely riveted to the page until the final shocking twist.

Evie Hunter’s The Fall is a chilling, exciting and unpredictable thriller readers who like action-packed page-turners will not want to miss.
I found this book to be a very fast paced and quick read. It was easy to follow. I really enjoyed it. I can't imagine being put in prison for someone else's crime. I would probably seek revenge too! Lol! Six years is a long time. This book had me blushing too! STEAMY! The author has a gift! I was entertained from page one until the end. It was easy to imagine everything as I was reading.
The Fall by Evie Hunter is a gritty revenge thriller that had plenty to keep the reader invested. I like this author’s writing style. It is simple but effective and packs a punch in the right places. The pacing was great, and I was invested from beginning to end.

The characters are complex. Lauren is a strong woman with quite the past. I found her relationship with Nate intriguing, and I enjoyed how it built over time. The character driven atmosphere of this novel made it even more compelling.

The plot was thrilling. It was interesting to see how the characters tracked down what they were looking for. Fast paced and entertaining, I would recommend this book to thriller fans.

Thank you to Rachel’s Random Resources For allowing me to join this blog tour. I recieved a free copy of this book to review honestly. All opinions are my own and unbiased.
Victim or villain? She’s out of prison… Lauren Miller has served six years behind bars for a crime she did not commit. Now, with her life in tatters, she is determined to bring those who framed her to justice. Out for revenge… Journalist Nate Black is intrigued by Lauren’s story. Is she the innocent victim she claims to be or is there more to her past? Eager to learn more he offers to help Lauren clear her name and bring the real villains to justice. And running out of time. But with millions of pounds still missing, Lauren remains the prime suspect…and the main target in an increasingly deadly game. And as Lauren’s plan with Nate reaches its shocking climax, no one knows who will ultimately take the fall… A nail-biting revenge thriller, perfect for fans of Gemma Rogers, Heather Atkinson and Caro Savage.

Review - ⭐⭐⭐.5 If you got sent to a prison for a crime you didn’t commit it would give you a lot of time to think and plan your revenge on the people that put you there. This starts as a slow burner as you get to know the characters but there are some nasty surprises and people to keep you hooked!
The book was an easy read with a simple to follow plot, my one critique is the sex scenes were unnecessary as they didn't add anything to the story at all and seemed to just be there as Hunter can write good sex scenes.
3.5 stars. Lauren is charged with insider trading. She is released after three years, a shell of her former self. The only thing that kept her going was exacting her revenge on the one person who let her take the fall for it all…

This was an incredibly easy read, and was an entertaining story about revenge. There weren’t many twists so I didn’t feel that it was really a thriller per se (if you’re pegging yourself as a thriller, I like to be THRILLED!!) I felt it was more a story of revenge and bringing a terrible human being to justice.

I liked Lauren, she had a punchy and sarky attitude. However, I found the whole relationship with Nate a bit far fetched if I’m honest. I was waiting for the catch (perhaps that’s the cynic in me…) but it just seemed too “boy meets girl, boy rescues girl”. And the sex…?! Did I blush? Hell yeah!! I can read my crime dark and gritty, to the point of shocking, and not bat an eyelid. But have me read a sex scene written by Hunter and I’m hiding! It didn’t feel necessary to the story if I’m honest, but Hunter clearly knows how to write sex.

The revenge plot was incredibly detailed and well thought out, and I really enjoyed that part of the story. And Kermit! Aw Kermit, bless him!

Overall, it was an entertaining read which you could easily fly through in an afternoon.
So this is a story of revenge and succeeding. It's a gritty drama with a lot of sex. Not sure if that was needed as it didn't really have anything to do with the story.

I enjoyed the read. It kept me interested from the start.

Enjoy!
Interesting and easy read about revenge. Full of tension and very suspenseful. For me the sex was a little too much and not necessary to the story, but it might appeal to other readers.
On the whole a good read.

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for providing me with an ARC in exchange for an honest review.
A really easy yet interesting read. Having just left prison, serving a sentence of 6 years for a crime she claims she didnt commit, Lauren Miller is settling down to her new life on the outside. Living a quite  life she is found by a journalist called Nate, who wants to help her prove that she is a victim and not villian.
Lauren is all out of trust for people and it takes her a while to to start to trust that Nate may be the help she needs.
Will Lauren be able to clear her name and prove what really did happen. Is she right to put her trust in Nate?
A good thrilling story that was really easy to read.