Cover Image: Out of My Heart

Out of My Heart

I loved the first of these books when it came out when I was in elementary school, and this follow up did not disappoint. This book brought back so much nostalgia for me from when I had read this for the first time, and I loved diving back into this world. I think this will be a hit with elementary schoolers! Highly recommend :)
I really enjoyed reading more about Melody. This book has a slightly different feel than the first one. We get to see Melody really start to be able to do more for herself and realize her worth. She isn’t stuck in her own head anymore.
Thank you to NetGalley and Simon and Schuster Children's Publishing for the opportunity to review an Advanced Reader Copy of this title.

Readers that fell in love with Melody in Out of My Mind will be excited to join her on further adventures in Out of My Heart by Sharon M. Draper. Fans know that Melody is notorious for overcoming challenges, but also that she often feels that she's stuck in her own mind and struggles to connect with her peers. In Out of My Heart, Melody convinces her family that she should attend a summer camp for differently-abled youth. Melody experiences a range of emotions about everything that awaits her at camp...swimming, horseback riding, zip lining, boating, and the possibility of new friends. Camp allows Melody to experience many things for the very first time, even things that she could have never expected even in her wildest dreams.

Draper does an excellent job of developing characters that are both likable and relatable. Although readers may not have shared in the same experiences as Melody, that have likely felt some of the same emotions or had similar thoughts at times. This title would be an excellent choice for middle grade libraries and classrooms.

#OutofMyHeart #NetGalley #Childrensbooks #ChildrensBookReviews
I was really excited to find that Sharon Draper had written a sequel to Out of My Mind.  In Out of My Heart, the reader gets to follow up with Melody.  This year, Melody goes to a camp that is for differently-abled kids.  Melody was nervous to spend a week away from her family for the first time, but soon comes to love camp and all of the new experiences she gets to have.  Melody makes new friends and lets go of her fears to try swimming, horseback riding and even zip lining.  The only downfall to the book is that there is no climax in the plot.  I did enjoy getting to see Melody enjoy camp without any issues.
A beautiful follow up to Sharon Draper's Out of My Mind. For anyone who read Melody's first story, it's truly like getting to spend time with an old friend. Melody has CP and is unable to walk, talk, and use her body the way typical kids can. But she never lets this stop her. With the help of Elvira, her computer who can speak for her, and her wheelchair, she's able to go to a special summer camp and make the memories of a lifetime.
What an absolute treat read.  I have thought about melody often times over the years and recommended out of my mind to so many people.  To be able to reconnect to an old friend and catch up was a real treat
Out of my heart was well researched and great writing and will be a book I will recommend
Thanks you for an advanced opportunity to read this book
Our beloved Melody Monroe is back and much more grown up. Remember her from Out Of My Mind where she begins to conquer her body? Melody was trapped in her cerebral palsy body and we watched her come to life as she emerged through her persistence and the gift of technology.

In Out of My Heart, Melody is 12 and “she has basically overcome all the school-related problems that she can with her limitations.”  But  wait, you haven’t seen “nothing” yet. She decides she, like all kids her age, wants goes to summer camp. At first this seems impossible for a person like a Melody. But it is the 21st century and limitations are there to be overcome. Her loving parents  do locate a camp that is designed for kids with severe handicaps. Reader thinks, really... so this is a babysitting type situation? Oh no no no, keep reading.. Melody is excited and of course apprehensive as she prepares to make the two hour trip from the security of her home for the next week. She’s in a completely different environment, for the very first time, without her support group.  This camp, is highly designed for children with disabilities, Melody immediately meets a fiercely protective ally in her one-on-one camp counselor Trinity, whom Draper describes as “kind and loving and no-nonsense.” In addition to activities like horseback riding and ziplining (the details of which Draper carefully researched), campers attend a nightly campfire, where heart felt discussions necessary to 12 year olds take place. Melody makes friends, she even meets a boy who makes her heart flutter. Her camp stay is not without some problems, but it proves to be all and much more she had hoped.

Do not anticipate action in this  book rather it is  about the joy a severely handicapped girl gets to experience.

By reading more about Draper’s newest book, II learned that Inspiration for the book’s cover came from “the idea of a firefly being set free from a jar, lighting up as it flies free. This is the perfect metaphor for how Melody herself grows and how her own inner joy brightens as she bravely undertakes new experiences at the camp.
What a remarkable book as was Draper's previous book.  Melody, who has cerebral palsy, is an amazing human being.  Through the use of a Medi-Talker, she has the opportunity to converse by typing  out her words and feelings.  The students in my Media Center devoured Melody's first adventure.  She conveyed to my older elementary school students that she was a person like them and had feelings and wants like they did.  Melody's bravery and determination came across so fittingly.
The story allowed my readers to command an understanding of someone different from them but who turned those differences into something positive.  What a lesson to learn and how beautifully it was written.
A wonderful read!
In this sequel to Out of My Mind, Melody Brooks goes to summer camp and has experiences that she will never forget.  After having a tough time at school, she is finally able to connect with a community of kids like her, make new friends, and feel like she belongs.

This was an amazingly sweet book, as Melody is able to experience so many things thanks to camp accommodations.  She is able to ride a horse, zip, swim, paint, and finally feel more like herself.  While this book is not plot heavy, it is a celebration of who Melody is.  She finally gets to experience joy and belonging after her trials in the first book.  This was a great summer read that I will be recommending to old and new readers alike.
With the help of her Medi-talker and her wonderfully supportive family, Melody is living the fullest life she can within the constraints of her cerebral palsy. However, even though she's practically a teenager she has missed out on lots of life experiences. So, she does her research and finds a summer camp for kids like her that will let her tick off a ton of boxes over the course of a week: sleeping away from home, swimming, horseback riding, and even getting her first crush. The plot is pretty low-key, as Melody gradually builds confidence by repeatedly confronting novel experiences and overcoming her trepidation.
Out of My Heart is an adorable follow-up to Out of My Mind which I read several years ago and is popular with students in my fourth grade classroom. Readers will enjoy continuing Melody's journey to a summer camp making friends and trying new things she never thought were possible - swimming, dancing, zip lining and horseback riding to name a few. This book is great for kids to be exposed to all different types of children with ranging abilities and see all that they are capable of doing when given the chance and opportunity. It is incredible that camps like this exist for kids, and I loved reading about Melody finally feeling comfortable and confident finding others who understand what she is going through and can relate to her experiences.
This was such a wonderful read!! We had read the first book for a read aloud in the classroom. This book was like getting back in touch with an old friend. To see Melody, her family, and new friends and was a really nice thing. The book spoke wonderfully about the main character being allowed to come out of her shell.
Everyone thought she was weird, unsmart, and unaware-but that is not at all what Melody is like. Melody is definitely aware of her surroundings and is really smart, observant, and logical. After the first book, Out of My Mind, Melody is living her life, happy and content. Before school ended, Melody’s friends were talking all about summer camp, and Melody realized she wanted to go to a summer camp, but she didn’t think it was possible. She began to research tons of different camps, in order to find one that she would like and be able to go to. She finally finds one and tells her mom, desperately hoping she can go, and wanting it more and more. The camp offers activities and is specially made and organized for kids with disabilities. Melody really wanted to go, but as soon as she gets there, she isn’t so sure. She gets a personal helper, and a cabin full of girls who understand what it is like to be judged and avoided. Melody isn’t sure she likes it there and is terrified of the upcoming horseback riding, she knows she will sink when swimming, and she is intrigued when a counselor says they will have the chance to “fly”. After swimming, and “flying” Melody gets closer with her cabin mates, and realizes this is where she is meant to be. They all get what it’s like, and they each have their own stories. Melody finally found people who truly understood, and she finally found true friends. Melody also meets a boy, who she may like and who may like her. Incidents with horses, trying to stay afloat, and wishing they could just talk are all a part of the adventures Melody has with her new friends. After a horse incident, true friends, a maybe crush, and new experiences, Melody is sure she wants to come back to do it all again.

This is a touching book that shows that you should never judge a book by its cover. People need to read this to realize this and read this book, and Out of My Mind, to understand that just because people look different and are different than you, doesn’t make them unsmart, weird, or outcasts. This is a book about a girl who finds where she loves and who finds friends who love her, and it needs to be read. It’s filled with joy, drenched in friendship, dotted with sadness and understanding, and has a hint of mild fear and action. This is a must-read and should be read by the world because there is so much judgment that doesn’t even need to be spoken to be heard, but this book could open the eyes of people. Melody is such an amazing character because she has so many experiences but she powers through, and all her thoughts are described beautifully in this book. Melody’s friends and their experiences were all touching and heartbreaking. This would be a great book to read in a book club because the members could offer many different points of view, but reading it individually is great too. More people should read this, so if you do read this, tell people you know and read Out of My Mind too!

Read and reviewed by a member of Canton Public LIbrary's Teen Advisory Group - Annie, Age 14
Often sequels don’t live up to original books. Out of My Heart certainly does. Draper has created a world all children can recognize, if not personally, from books or movies. Into this world of summer camp, Draper places Melody, our survivor from Out of My Mind. Melody has cerebral palsy and this special camp provides methods for kids like Melody to experience all the fun things associated with sleep-away camps.
This story is uplifting from beginning to end. There is no overarching dramatic plot, which I appreciate as Melody suffered enough in the first book. Draper simply illuminates the world of special needs kids who just want to be kids; and how inventive adults have created tools to help these kids do just that.
The two books should be read in order to truly understand where Melody began and to appreciate where she has landed. And finally, be sure to read the acknowledgments at the end.
I received this book as an ARC from Netgalley.
Like many, I was eager to learn more about Melody, having fallen in love with her in Out of My Mind,  but I was soon deep into reliving my own camp experiences many years ago as a 12 year old in the Berkshires of western Massachusetts. At first I thought this story would help young people with special needs find the confidence to take that first step toward independence. Then I thought this is a great book for mainstream kids to gain empathy. But finally I realized this is a book for ALL kids to savor the pleasure of trying new experiences and making new friends.
The narrative of Melody was clearly written with love and understanding by a skilled author, but it was also a truly authentic voice of a young awkward girl. And let’s face it, not all handicaps are visible or come with a wheel chair.
My only criticism arises as a result of several scenes in which the campers have to deal with a snake and a skunk. The level of hysteria seems way out of proportion to the incident. I realize even adults don’t like unexpected meetings with skunks and snakes, but the questions the girls asked seemed more like those of a 7 year old than a 6th or 7th grader. Are we meant to think that they are intellectually challenged as well as physically? That is just a small question in what is otherwise a masterful story. Like Melody and her friends, I cried when they had to say goodbye. And it was exactly what I remember from my summers at Rowe Camp.
As a school librarian, I don’t have time to read every book even though I’d like to!  . When I Read Out of My Mind, also by Sharon Draper, I couldn’t stop talking about it. I think it’s a book everyone should read. Out of My Heart  continues the story of Melody as she grows and wants to spread her wings.  This is also a must-read book. Go to camp with Melody and watch her not only find her wings but spread them wide.
After the author’s book Out of My Mind, which was so powerful and poignant in so many ways, I expected no less from Out of My Heart. It recounts Melody’s experiences at a special summer camp. However, I have to say that I was very let down. The meat of the story was just that- a recounting of her camp experiences. I kept waiting for the climax, conflict, drama... I didn’t see it. I was expecting that Melody’s needs/ disabilities would be the background of the plot, but not the plot itself. Each activity she faced followed a similar pattern- being nervous or excited about it, then enjoying it. Yes, each camper’s unique needs were presented in a positive light- but a book merely showing this to us isn’t doing Melody, or kids like her, justice. I love Sharon Draper’s writing- I just really expected more.
Any fan of Out of My Mind is going to love this book about Melody attending a summer camp for kids with various disabilities. It was pure joy to read about Melody having an amazing week surrounded by new experiences and new friends. This book will be in high demand in elementary and middle schools the second it comes out.
What a beautiful story!!!  I forgot how much I missed and loved Melody.  This book was just as good if not better than the first book.  I am going to highly recommend this to teachers to read aloud.  I hope it opens the eyes of students toward the feeling of other with disabilities.  Loved, loved, loved this book!
Fans of Out or my Mind will be thrilled that Sharon M. Draper has written a sequel.  In Out of My Heart, Melody embarks on a summer adventure at Camp Green Glades.  At this camp for differently-abled kids, she gets to experience many thrilling firsts like swimming, flying, and horseback riding that most kids take for granted.  Though more lighthearted than the original book, this sequel still shows that Melody is full of heart and a force to be reckoned with.