Cover Image: And There He Kept Her

And There He Kept Her

A story that kept me interested, for sure, even if it wasn’t perfect. A new acting sheriff has a big time case for a small town- the disappearance of two teenagers.  The reader knows what happened to the teens immediately, as part of the story is told from the person involved with their disappearance, but gets to see the story unfold from the sheriff’s eyes. There may have been a few unnecessary characters in the book, but I was genuinely curious to see how it would end.
So this one was interesting. We know from the start who the bad guy is and we wait and watch while the police work through the case and figure it out. I feel like the book starts off with a bang. I was hooked from the first scene but then things taper off a bit and the middle drags before it comes together in a solid way. I'm keen to read more by this author though.
Review of And There He Kept Her by Joshua Moehling

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

I really enjoyed this dark thriller. First can we talk about how creepy the cover is? I knew I had to read this one based on that alone. I thought it started strong. I found it a tad slow during the middle but then the end was fast paced and great. I absolutely fell in love with the characters and the small town by the end. I  loved the main character, Ben, and can’t wait to hear more of his story and that of his town and it’s unsolved mysteries in the sequel.

Quick synopsis: Ben has returned to his hometown after the loss is his significant other and has been made the acting sheriff of the small town. When two teenagers go missing (one being his cousin), he is determined to find them. The reader knows they have broken into the home of an older man who is most definitely the wrong choice of a victim.

Thanks so much to @netgalley and @poisonedpenpress for the ecopy and physical copy of this one.
Loved this! Strong 4.5 stars. SO creepy. I had trouble sleeping while reading this! The creepiest thing was how real the story felt - it felt like something that could be based on a true story. So dark. Loved the character development. Sheriff Packard is great and I'm hoping this might be the beginning of a series? One potentially problematic element for some fans of psychological thrillers is that there's no who-dunnit here - you know exactly where the missing kids are and who the bad guys are right from the beginning, but you're watching the good guys stumble and process the clues and what seems obvious to the reader, the author does a great job of building tension and just the right amount of reader frustration by gradually leading Packard to the conclusion - but does he get there in time?
At first I wasn't sure how I felt about this book.  It is a little on the dark side.  But once I started reading it, I just had to keep going to find out what happened next and how everyone ended up.  Lots of excitement and mystery to keep you turning the pages.  I would highly recommend this book.
Omg. One of the creepiest books I have read in some time. Basements, locked doors and run down homes. One good cop looking to make things right. Wow. All I can say is “Good Book”.
"And There He Kept Her," pulled me in with the opening paragraph. I knew I was hooked and would most likely be missing some sleep. I was right. The story takes place in Shady Lake. Minnesota. A very small town with a quirky but very authentic cast of characters. Sheriff Ben Pakard leads the investigation of two missing high school students. Sheriff Pakard is a multilayered character with a backstory that opens up possible continuation of the series. The villain is frightening, but written with a degree of humanity that makes him so much more real. The plot is original and clever. This book is more than a story about a criminal investigation. It is a story about people, relationships and a story that makes  you think. The pace is fast with excellent twists and turns. I will be following Joshua Moehling, waiting for the second book in this series.
i enjoyed the characters and overall story. Excellent writing and the story had an excellent pace. It kept me turning the pages on my kindle so quickly I could hardly keep up!
I picked this one up as I heard  that acting Sheriff Ben Packard was a gay man in a mainstream police procedural and wanted to see how he fared, Although  he was mostly closeted until near the ending, it turned out to be a really good book with other memorable characters and a strong murder mystery at the center.  Small towns and teenage drug dealing  take center stage and I would be happy to read a follow up story with Ben, his partner and his dog.
Not Knowing who was the victim and villain in this book left it interesting until the final pages. A small town mystery with modern flare, this one kept me reading to find out what on earth was going on. It was great!
And There He Kept Her
Joshua Moehling
⭐️⭐️⭐️

Don’t get me wrong, I really did enjoy this book, however I felt like the same storyline gets played out on and on… I think if the ending could of been different then this book would have been a major hit in my book…. It’s still a great read if you’re looking for something fast that will hook you, I just feel this story line gets played out too often.
Lost and Found

I listened to the audio book and read the print book together. I loved the narration of the audio book. The narrator did a wonderful job.

The story was a fast paced mystery of two missing teenagers, an evil old man, and an acting sheriff with a past and a secret. It involves burglary, drugs, torture, kidnapping, and age old secrets.

It is a bit different in how it is written as the kidnapper is known from the beginning and the mystery is the police trying to figure out how to find the missing teenagers and why they are missing.

The characters are wonderful, the parents, the dog rescuer, the cousin and the other characters throughout the book.

It is interesting which leads are the ones that lead the police to find the criminal and the missing teenagers. The significance of cell phones and surveillance cameras in the investigation.

The story was engaging and kept my interest. It was nice to have both the audio book and the print book.

Thanks to Joshua Moehling for writing an engaging mystery, to Dreamscape Media for the audio book publishing and to Poison Pen Press for publishing the print copy. Thanks to NetGalley for providing me with copies to read and review.
In “And There He Kept Her” by Joshua Moehling we get to see how both family and an acting sheriff from a small hometown come together to solve a mystery of two missing teenagers.  But as the story begins to unravel all the small town secrets that its residents believed to be buried to deep to find do actually find their way to the surface.

A nice read with a number of interesting characters.  It does keep you guessing until the very end.

I received an advanced copy of this book through Net Galley and this is my honest opinion.
Brilliantly written, I was glued to every page from the start. Each character was superbly developed in full color. The storyline flowed at a perfect pace with the tension rising as the situation became more dire.
Two teenagers attempt to break into a senior citizen’s house to steal prescription medication only to be interrupted by the homeowner, Emmett Burr, who is armed and ready to take on the trespassers.  The author successfully weaves in some light-hearted moments in the narrative with the small-town dynamics and an interesting cast of characters among whom are two neighbors who require police intervention to resolve their feuds! The author does touch upon some important themes- substance abuse among schoolchildren, seniors’ safety, kidnapping and sexual abuse and some of the scenes are more than a bit disturbing.
Oh my goodness. This is one of those books where you are always aware of who the bad guy is, without realizing that there might be more than one and guy. This one took my breath away.
When Josh and Jenny break into to elderly neighbour, Emmet’s house to steal drugs, they were startled to see him on guard with a gun.  Emmet has a dark secret and now needs to make use of his cellar dungeon, years after he thought he had put those secrets behind him.
Sheriff Ben Packard is looking all over town for the missing teens, and needs to find them before time runs out.
A new author to me, but Joshua Moehling has a writing style that will keep you turning those pages and reading just one more chapter to find out what happens next.  I can see a series here for Sheriff Packard and would love to read another instalment.  Packard has plenty of his own secrets to unveil.
Wow, this was such a quick read! Definitely kept me on my toes! Highly recommend. I have not heard of this author but will be on the lookout for more books by him! Will be recommending this book to others!
Thiugh a slow burn, the character building is anything but. The characters are fleshed-out as if they were someone you could meet on the street, which is a chilling thought. Well done story buildup and satisfying ending. Definitely recommend.

Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for the chance to read and review.
This book was very long and I'm not sure why..I think the author could have cut out 100 pages and still had a book.  Honestly, I could not finish this book. I got bored with the characters, content and story,
I really enjoyed this book, And There He Kept Her by Joshua Moehling. It was a pleasant surprise and I would definitely read him again. This story is very well written suspense. The characters are delightful, intriguing and down-right evil. Not only did the storyline take twists and turns so did the characters. Villains turned into victims showing kindness instead of only evil. We as humans are complicated and this book certainly went there. Big thanks to NetGalley for the e-copy. It was published on June 14th so you might like to drop by your local indie bookstore and invest in this one. I’ll give it 4.5 stars.