Cover Image: Christmas with the Surplus Girls

Christmas with the Surplus Girls

This was such a sweet sequel to the first Surplus girls book. I enjoyed this story immensely. It was a little different from the first one and dealt with a school training girls in office work and admin during the Second World War. It dealt with pregnancy and the stigma of unmarried mothers as well as people who had a tough life in these times. I hope there will be more books in this series in the future. My thanks to Netgalley and the publishers for giving me the opportunity to read this book in return for an honest review.
I absolutely loved reading this wonderful book.  It's heartwarming and full of Christmas spirit and so lovely to read.
Follow Nancy's story and the read about the orphanage she really wants to work at with the children, not an admin clerk which she really isn't good at..
It's such a lovely story   definitely recommend this book.
Thanks to#NetGalley for the advance copy in return for an honest review.
I make so secret of the fact I love Polly Heron’s books, so the moment the review copy of this one was available I requested it and dived straight in. For a start, I think the premise of this series is brilliant; the stories of the women who had expected to marry, only for the First World War to kill do many men. Their battle to make something of their lives as single women in the 1920s is seldom told and quite frankly it should be.

A saga series needs central characters and for the Surplus Girls these take the form of unmarried sisters, Prudence and Patience Hesketh, who decide to run a business school from their home to train women in the skills they need. In this, the third book, our understanding of their position increases and their stories move on too, for one of them at least in quite an unexpected way.

Christmas with the Surplus Girls is a wonderful blend of the comfortingly familiar (characters from previous books making appearances, the orphanage as heart-warming seasonal setting, and, of course, the love story) with quite a few twists and turns. There are moments when nothing is quite as it seems, and breath-takingly written passages of true drama, but to say more would spoil it for the reader.

For the saga fan, this is the perfect Christmas read. As ever with Polly Heron’s writing there is no mawkish sentimentality, there is genuine emotion, elegantly portrayed. And even better, if you haven’t read the other Surplus Girls books there is still time to catch up with them before its time to pour yourself a glass of festive cheer and settle down with this beauty.
We follow the story of Nancy who changes jobs to please her father, she then starts to retrain for something she feels she isn’t very good at. This leads to other employment where she meets Mr Milner, will she live up to his expectations?  Nancy lives with the misses
Hesketh, Patience and Prudence who I felt had the nature to match their names.   Their pasts come to revisit, literally.
I enjoyed this book because it had family, love friendship and happiness.
Book Three in the Surplus girls.
Manchester 1922 September, Nancy Pike celebrates her nineteenth birthday and is happy in her job in Turner's pie shop but her Pa thinks she can better herself and enters her into a business night school at the Chorlton office in Wilton Close with Miss Patience and Miss Hesketh to train to do office work, she is the right age to become a Surplus Girl, and becoming a pupil-lodger installed in the old box room, she gives up her job in the pie shop after been accepted a position at St Anthony Orphanage as an office junior, oh she has come up in the world but its more money to be sent home.
And so Nancy's story begins and I loved every wholesome moment it's such a joy to read.
This book is not just for Christmas and I highly recommend it to my booklovers out there, this series is turning into a remarkable collection of our Surplus Girl's the author has the magic touch to draw you into every chapter. 5***** from me.
Wow loved the third book in this series. Love the book follows the girls in each book and feel like you are with them
If you love family saga and war books rolled into one you will love this
Can't wait for the next in the series