Cover Image: Drop Dead Gorgeous

Drop Dead Gorgeous

This ARC was provided to me via Kindle by Gallery Books and #NetGalley for my honest opinion.

I found this much more enjoyable than expected. The characters developed throughout the story at a delightful pace. I’d recommend this to book clubs, anyone looking for a new favorite, a weekend read they won’t want to put down.
When I first started reading I had a bit of a hard time getting into the story. Brittany is from Texas and her accent was a bit over the top for me and I found myself wanting to skip ahead during some of the dialogue. The plot feels a bit drawn out in the first half of the book but definitely kept my interest in the second half. When Edie takes Brittanys spot in heaven and Brittany is sent to inhabit Edie's body the book really picked up for me.

Brittany doesn't have any of Edie's memories so she claims amnesia and has to get reacquainted with all of 'her' old family and friends. Brittany soon learns Edie made a lot of enemies, including Oliver, a longstanding family friend she is supposed to be feuding with. As Brittany and Oliver's relationship progresses the story became much more interesting and I got to the end of the book much sooner than expected. The later part of the book where we watch Brittany trying to adjust to Edie's life redeemed the slow start for me and I would give the book a 3.5/5 stars.
3.5 Stars

I've been a fan of Rachel Gibson's books for years. I've read and enjoyed all of her contemporary romances, most of getting 5 star ratings from me. Sadly, that pattern didn't continue for me with Drop Dead Gorgeous. It started out strong, but had some ups and downs.

"Glorious Way Evangelical is the center of my momma's life. She looks forward to church worship like an alcoholic looks forward to happy hour at Woody's Watering Hole."

Those first couple of sentences had me immediately curious about Brittainy and her life in Marfa. Some people might find her hick-ness over done, but I found it fun to read. For the rest of the first chapter, I was highly entertained. Even the beginning of the second chapter held my attention. Somewhere between the second and fourth chapters my attention waned. There was a lot of explaining about what the coma purgatory would be for Brittainy in those chapters that just wasn't all that interesting to me. (I'll admit I was a little tired when I  started this book, so maybe that was it? I don't know.) That disinterest continued until Brittainy became Edie. Then things got interesting.

I loved the story of Brittainy inhabiting Edie's body and having to play amnesia. It was fun to experience her learning what being Edie meant and making Edie's life her own. I loved the relationships she forged with Edie's family and even her foes. The little romance with Oliver was cute.  I also ended up enjoying the chapters of the real Edie. It was cool to see her get what was coming to her and how she navigated that. I was happy that this book ending up entertaining me more than I was expecting after several chapters that were too slow for me.

I did have one more small complaint. Things wrapped up in the end way faster than I was expecting. I could feel the story coming to the end, but I needed a couple more scenes with Edie/Brittainy with her parents and with Oliver. I just wanted more closure there for myself rather than being told everything was good.

Other than that, this book ended on a high note for me. I ended up enjoying it more than I thought I would. The characters ended up charming me and I loved Edie/Brittainy's progression throughout the book. It was a good read.
I loved this novel about almost dead people stuck in a type of a way station, a woman whose life completely changes, and the journey she makes to her new reality.
Really 3.5 stars. This book was enjoyable the premise was unique and it had moments of humor, sadness, and love. It spoke of strong family bonds and learning to value yourself. However, and maybe it’s the northeasterner in me, I felt like there was a lot of space wasted on really enforcing how big and gaudy everything is in Texas, how Brittany was overweight and now in a tiny blonde body, and other cliches that could have been better dedicated to character and story development
This was my first book I have read by Rachel Gibson and will not be my last! It was a really interesting concept and kind of predictable but I really enjoyed it.
The first book for me to read by this author but I will be on the lookout for more for sure! Highly recommend this one!
I enjoyed this book. The plot was well paced and the characters were well thought out. I look forward to reading more from this author in the future.
This was a quick enjoyable read. I loved that the premise was so unique. There were parts that were a little slow and the romantic plotline fell flat and was slightly confusing. I did like reading "Edie" and how her soul helped to improve herself with the opportunity she was given.
This was a cute contemporary romance. I wouldnt say it brought any super strong emotions, which I normally love, but it was a good read nonetheless. Thanks to Netgalley for the ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Thank you to Net Galley & Gallery Books for providing me with an ARC.

This story follows Brittany Lynn Snider as her portal to heaven is taken by another spirit, Edie. In a funny turn of events, Brittany is given another chance at life by taking over Edie's body. She tries to take the opportunity to plan her way back home to Texas in order to pick up where she left off. However, her new life has other plans for her.

This was a quick and easy read! I enjoyed the premise, but it fell flat on the delivery for me. The main thing that really bothered me during this read was the fatphobic comments and jokes. It was very stereotypical that the country girl, Brittany, was a "big" girl while the snide, rich girl, Edie, was also the skinny, privileged girl. Repeatedly, there are condescending comments made toward weight and appearance, which I did not appreciate. I also felt like there was a romance plotline introduced, but then it was immediately glossed over.

I also did not enjoy the part in the comparison of emotional and mental health to others. The idea that you should appreciate what you have because others have it worse is not something I agree with. Emotions and mental health are so unique to the individual that comparing them to the hardships of others is not conducive to healing.

Overall, it was okay. I really liked the limbo and concierge concept of this story. Brittany's heart & soul are what carried this story. Despite her obstacles, it was nice to see her grow and finally, let go of the past. Though this didn't work for me, it might work for others. I encourage everyone to give it a try and make their own conclusions.
Thank you #Netgalley for the advanced read!

This was my first read by Rachel Gibson, when I read the description, I thought this is something different but still with lighthearted humor.  As we began the book, Brittany is a young adult living in Texas as a hair dresser with her mother.  She sneaks away after church to go meet a man she met online a few hours away.  Unfortunately, Brittany is in a car accident and when she wakes up she is standing over her body.  From here we are introduced to a "concierge" and other "spirits" lingering around the hospital floor.  Brittany's body had so much trauma that it eventually ended, but instead of Brittany's soul going with it, Edie snuck up.  This rarely happens the concierge shared.  Brittany's soul is then asked if she wants to go into Edie's body and live her life.  Brittany accepts the offer and must learn to become Edie, by faking amnesia.  We see the "new" Edie's family and how Brittany helps improve her life and her family relationships.
Drop Dead Gorgeous is a hoot and a half. I just read right through this book in one go. It is adorable, entertaining, and truly the perfect book to grab when you’re looking for something light and engaging.

Brittany Lynn’s character shines through with so much heart and Texas pride. Although she kind of makes some terrible decisions with little forethought, I love that her character evolves as the story goes on. I absolutely enjoyed following Edie’s journey as well. The whole ride… what a barrel of laughs.

There were couple things that gave me pause. The shift between Oliver and Brittany Lynn did not sit well with me. There was just an incredibly sudden escalation that did not feel plausible to me. I also feel like the lack of character development for Oliver was a missed opportunity; he felt a bit one-dimensional.
I really enjoyed this hilarious take on a Freaky Friday type afterlife situation between down to earth Southern girl Brittany Lynn and Edie, a snobby socialite. I highly recommend this romantic comedy!
This book was hilarious. I love rom-coms and when life is stressful, that's what I am drawn too. However, this one started out with Brittany texting HotGuyNate while she is on her way to church. She ends up in a car accident. We have all been in the drama on if a guy will text back, should we go meet him, etc. It had me cracking up. Brittany ends up in heaven/limbo. She is stuck watching life happening while she is above. She ends up switching places with a socialite. It was a new spin on the usual books and I really enjoyed the Texas slang. Very cute!
I have been a fan of Rachel Gibson's books for over 20 years and was excited to get the opportunity to read Drop Dead Gorgeous.

Brittany Lynn was such a funny quirky character and this story was so different. It made me wish that this could be turned into a movie or mini-series because the concept was so cute and different.

I can't wait to read more from Rachel.
Absolutely entertaining, smart, hilarious supernatural comedy/ romcom/ chic lit/ women’s fiction( definitely a genre blender) guarantees you quality time even though it gets a little bit slow after the promising and exciting start of the story!

I read a few previous romcoms of the author and after a little later it is so good to read brand new work of hers.

I was so impressed by the surprising, well executed start of the story. The character building of Brittany was well- developed and easy to connect with. I was drawn to her adventure: after having a tragic car accident and finding herself stranded at the Limbo Lounge await her fate with the other victims who play cards, watching reruns of 7th Heaven and Heaven Help Us. ( it’s only tolerable to be trapped there if they provide me reruns of Good Place)

Poor Brittany’s reserved place in heaven is unfairly taken by bully, spoiled, wealthy socialite Edie who thinks first come first serve rule also works at the heaven portal.

There is good news that Brittany finally earns her second chance at the earth but bad news is she’s gonna send there back inside Edie’s body.

Can you imagine to wake up in another, so much unlikable person’s body who is your characteristically polar opposite and take over her life?

Maybe second chance of her life won’t be so bad! She can build a new life in Texas and especially she starts to get attracted by charming Oliver ( even though their insta love is doomed to fail) But as soon as she starts to love another person’s life, she also starts thinking who was Brittany, what was her life’s purpose?

The story’s execution took a little bumpy road in the middle but conclusion was still satisfying.   It was great fun, soft, popcorn, feel-good! I especially recommend to Ms. Gibson’s fans!

So many thanks to NetGalley and Gallery Books for sharing this digital reviewer copy with me in exchange my honest opinions.
I devoured this book in a day! I have read and loved so many of Rachel Gibson’s books, and this one did not disappoint.  I definitely understand the struggle with online dating, and the storyline of this one was so different then any of her other books. Brittany Lynn is a funny quirky character, and right from the beginning I enjoyed this character. Would love to read more about the limbo lounge, and those that are hanging out there!
I can't recall ever reading a book quite like this! The premise is so unique and frankly, I'm not surprised that Rachel Gibson was able to pull it off. I've read MANY of her novels in the past and am pleased to say she has another winner on her hands here. I can't wait for more!