Cover Image: First Girl to Die (Detective Morgan Brookes Book 4)

First Girl to Die (Detective Morgan Brookes Book 4)

I have read several books by Helen Phifer but this is the first one of Morgan Brookes series. The storyline was interesting, with good chemistry between Morgan and Ben. I loved Aunt Ettie, she became my favourite character.  The book was easy to read and kept me guessing until the very end. I'll certainly be reading the first 3 books in this series. Thankyou for the preview copy.
As much as we sometimes want to hide from our past, it’s something we cannot outrun.  Morgan was hoping for a normal day, until the call came in. In a rash, her friends from school are all dying. What is going on? This is the second book I’ve read in the Morgan Brookes series. I like Morgan. She is young, but possesses tenacity and grit. I want to see where this thing goes with her and Ben, if anywhere. I find it interesting to read  about law  enforcement in England and note some Of variations, as compared to American law enforcement. One word of caution: be careful where you step and whose company you are in while reading this book.
Another fantastic book in this series.  A murderous tale full of twists keeps Detective Brooke's on her toes.
 I was hooked from the first page.  I look forward to reading more.
I’d like to thank Bookouture and NetGalley for giving me the opportunity to read ‘First Girl To Die’, the fourth in the Detective Morgan Brookes series written by Helen Phifer, in exchange for my honest and unbiased review.

DC Morgan Brookes is called to Priory Grove School where she and DS Ben Matthews find one of the teachers, Brittany Alcott, threatening to jump from a window.  Morgan and Brittany were friends at school but she’s unable to reach her in time before she jumps from the window and dies on the ground below.  Brittany is found to have a substance in her blood making her behaviour erratic and when another of Morgan’s school friends dies and has the same substance in her blood it seems likely that these deaths are connected.  Is the killer choosing victims from Morgan’s circle of friends, and could her life also be at risk?

‘First Girl To Die’ begins in 2016 when Morgan’s friends are partying at Rydal Cave and alternates between then to the present time as Morgan tries to solve the puzzle of who’d want these women dead.  As with the previous three books in the series, Morgan works closely with Ben and together with Amy and Des interact with humour while searching for clues.  This is an entertaining thriller that has suspense, drama and twists and turns before eventually revealing the identity of the killer but risking Morgan’s life to get to the truth.  I’ve enjoyed reading this crime thriller based in the beautiful scenery of the Lake District and look forward to reading more.
I would like to thank Netgalley and Bookouture for an advance copy of First Girl to Die, the fourth novel to feature DC Morgan Brookes of the Cumbrian police.

Morgan and her boss, DS Ben Matthews are called out to a primary school where a teacher is acting erratically and threatening suicide. She jumps before Morgan gets the chance to talk to her. She is Morgan’s friend from school days, Brittany, and when another friend from the same group has a similar incident Morgan can’t avoid linking it to a tragedy in their shared past. The problem is that it looks like the women were poisoned by herbal tea and the supplier is Morgan’s aunt, Ettie.

I thoroughly enjoyed First Girl to Die, which is an eventful, absorbing read with never a dull moment. Much of this is due to Morgan Brookes who is an engaging protagonist that walks to the beat of her own drum. She is young and enthusiastic, which isn’t a bad thing, especially as she couples it with good instincts, but her habit of following these instincts often lands her in trouble, both with her bosses and physical danger.still, she’s a breath of fresh air in a genre where cynicism often rules.

The plot is fairly simple in its premise, find a means and motive and all will become clear. Of course, nothing is as simple as that in the execution. The novel covers various points of view, encompassing not just the investigation but the victims and potential victims and it flashes back to what Morgan believes is the seminal event in 2016. The upshot of this apparently scattergun approach, that actually works really well and keeps the reader intrigued, is a well disguised perpetrator and motive and a whole load of misdirection. I was glued to the pages from start to finish.

First Girl to Die is a good read that I have no hesitation in recommending.
Thank you to #NetGalley and #Bookouture for my arc of #FirstGirlToDie by #HelenPhifer

This is the fourth book in the Detective Morgan Brooks series which works well as a stand alone read.
There is enough in the story to give the background but not so much that if you have read the other three it gets boring.

Absolutely great read
I was given an advance copy by Bookouture and NetGalley in order to exchange my honest review.

I really love this series. It's brilliant written and fast paced with lots of twists and turns. So good thriller and kept me gripped. I am sure you won't disappointed at all. It's a turn page turner and you couldn't put it down till the end. The ending is marvelous and unexpected. Moreover, there was some laughable parts which made this story the best. I love Morgan Brooke and her partner Ben. The dynamic between them is written very good and well-developed. Highly recommend. ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Thank you to #NetGalley and #Bookouture for allowing me to read #FirstGirlToDie by #HelenPhifer

Morgan Brooks and her immediate boss DS Ben Matthews are called to the scene of a young woman who seemed to be under the influence of drugs and was threatening to jump out of the window at the school where she worked.
Morgan recognised her as an old school friend but could not get through to Brittany  before she jumped to her death.
Then another old school friends starts showing the same symptoms
What is happening, everything points to some kind of poisoning but why these woman and could Morgan be next.
When you sit down to read this book don’t expect to move until it’s finished.
A page turner from the beginning, you will devour this book ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Just finished this book and must say I can't wait for the next instalment to see what Morgan is upto at work and also in her love life. When young woman keep turning up dead after being seeing acting weird beforehand Morgan and her boss Ben are sent to investigate. When it turns out to be Morgan's best friends from school that are dying she is more determined to find out why. Her aunty is also a suspect after supplying the woman with some of her goods.
Does one night a few years ago when one of their friends fell to his death link with these murders. She wasn't there on the night it happened so has no way of knowing only her few remaining friends know the truth.
I am a huge fan of Helen Phifer - her books promise suspense, likeable characters and oh what?! moments!

Morgan Brooks returns for Book Number 4 - she and Ben are called to a local primary school in need of a negotiator.  A teacher stands near a window, clearly in distress and likely drugged - a former schoolmate of Morgan, Brittany throws herself out the window. Shortly after, Ben and Morgan are called to another disturbing scene - a naked young woman among the caves. Morgan again runs into her past - another former classmate, Sienna, also in distress and drugged.
What lays in Morgan's past that could possible cause two former friends to be in danger?
Morgan and Ben struggle with their own relationship while Morgan talks about the loss of a friend, a kind boy who all her friends are crushing on.
This book had great characters - even some movement with Morgan and Ben's attraction. Great twist to tie the plot together.
This is a great addition to the Morgan Brookes series of books and the best yet. The writing is good, with a fantastic plot and developing characterisation. I wish Ben and Morgan would develop their growing affection though! The twists and turns kept me interested until the end and I highly recommend the series. Thanks to Net Galley for my ARC.
Great story, Great primary and secondary characters. Suspenseful Interesting having Morgan related to the murders
4.25⭐
First Girl to Die, the fourth story in the Morgan Brookes series was a very enjoyable police procedural. And as my first introduction to the character I found it extremely easy to read as a stand-alone.

Furthermore, this was a very well-written and developed mystery. That drew me in from the start and honestly I thought I had the killer nailed only to be proven completely wrong.

And with Cumbria and the Lakes as the backdrop and intriguing characters this is certainly a series I want to read more off and a story I would happily recommend to others.
4+ stars

This is the fourth DC Morgan Brookes story and it is the best one to date! Morgan and her boss Sergeant Ben are called to the primary school one morning as one of the teachers is acting very strangely and threatening to jump from the first floor window. Ben is a trained negotiator but when Morgan it is her old school friend Brittany she races upstairs to see if she can get through to her. Unfortunately it is too late for Brittany as she throws herself to her death. The staff at the school are beside themselves and say she was acting completely out of character.

The next day police are called to Rydall caves as there are reports of a near naked woman behaving really oddly. Morgan is again surprised to find it is another of her school friends, Sienna. Luckily she is reached in time and is recovering in the hospital. But it’s not over yet. By now Morgan is already wondering if this has something to do with the fateful night of five years ago when the friends along with Brad, the only boy in the group, went up to the caves with lots of vodka to celebrate Brittany’s birthday. Morgan was invited but was grounded by her dad and just for once she obeyed him and stayed home. Her friend Brad never made it home though!

Just as Morgan is wondering if she should warn the other two girls who were there that night - Jasmine and Lara - she learns that Jasmine is also dead, having been struck by a van in the middle of a dark road at night. Now it’s almost certain that the past is coming back to haunt them. But the mystery is what has caused these women to behave so oddly. It’s as if they have been drugged by an hallucinogen. Is her Aunt Ettie somehow involved through her herbal teas?

What is really going on is not as obvious as it would seem at first and we head towards a stunning showdown. The claws are out and there’s no stopping some people’s quest for retribution. Can Morgan prevent yet another death and can she unmask a murderer. This was a quick and fairly light and easy read that was nevertheless satisfying and meaty enough for most thriller lovers. We will have to wait for another instalment though to see if Morgan and Ben can work out how they feel about each other! Thanks to Netgalley and Bookouture for the much appreciated arc which I reviewed voluntarily and honestly.
Detective Morgan Brookes #4

When Detective Morgan Brookes is called to the scene of a suicide, she's devastated to recognise the young teacher sprawled out on the grass like a broken doll. She hasn't seen Brittney for years. Not since the death of Morgan's high-school boyfriend ripped their friendship group apart. Then another woman from Morgan's past is found , close to the scene of that fatal teenage party. Has Morgan been looking at this all wrong? Are the deaths connected to that fatal night? And how could someone from her own family possibly be involved.

I quickly became a fan of Helen Phifer after reading the first book in this series, One Left Alive. Morgan and her boss Ben have been called out to Priory School where a young teacher is acting out of character. Before Morgan and Ben can do anything, she has flung herself out the window. Morgan knew the teacher, she had been her friend, Then another young woman, also a friend of Morgan is found actin strangely.

This is another twist filled read that will keep you guessing. I also like that we lean more backstory with each new book, I also like the will they - won't they  relationship Moran and Ben have. This is a great addition to the series, It's an intriguing, fast paced and a thoroughly enjoyable read.
would like to thank netgalley and the publisher for letting me read this great book in an amazing series

when an incident happens at a school morgan and her crew rush to deal with it only to find out that its one of morgans school friends, who she has lost touch with

but before morgan can get to the bottom of what is happening they are to late to save brittany who went head first out of a window

her erratic behaviour sends shockwaves through everyone and as morgan starts looking into brittanys life another one of their school friends dies....

all this brings back horrendous memories for morgan about an incident that happened whilst still at school but how could that have any bearings on what was happening now...

brilliantly written so that you cant put the book down until you finish it and find out why and who....highly recommend this one for anyone that cant sleep at night because once you start it you cant put it down
I love the way that Helen Phifer writes, the characters are well written and the relationship between the lead ones are really good.
This story had the same main characters that I feel I know, after reading the previous 3 books, although I've read them I do think you could read this without reading the others.....but it's much better to read the whole series as they are well worth it.
This book sees Morgan facing old school friends and trying to solve not only a present day murder but a mystery from her school days.
Loved it!
A digital copy of this book was given to me by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Morgan and Ben are called to a school to negotiate a jumper situation when Morgan realizes the jumper is one of her best friends from school and that she was acting strange in the moments before her death. Then one by one her friend group seemingly is targeted.  Her Aunt Ettie is questioned and arrested for the poisoning. Morgan tries to clear her Aunt and save her remaining friends.  Morgan and Ben fight their feelings for one another even though the entire force thinks they are an item.  I love the friendship between Morgan and Ben and Amy's "tell it like it is" attitude.
First To Die is the 4th in the Detective Morgan Brookes series.
If you love detective series like I do check this one out. This comes out October 11, 2021.
Thank you NetGalley, Bookouture and Helen Phifer.
By far, my favorite of the series! Definitely recommend and they should most definitely be read in order.

Thank you #netgalley and #bookouture for the eARC.
My Friend recommended Helen Phifer's books to me and i have read all four of the Morgan Brookes ones and i have to say i have loved them. Detective Morgan Brookes is back with another excellent case A call comes in of a young Teacher at the local school acting strange and threatening to jump. When Morgan and Ben arrive at the school they are met by members of staff who show them to the staff room where the young woman is holed up behind a blocked door. This is an excellent book with a brilliant story that has you gripped and wanting more and i look forward to the next book.BRILLIANT 5*