Cover Image: The Secret Halloween Costume

The Secret Halloween Costume

This is an adorable children’s book about being yourself. You don't always have to do what is expected, especially if it is something your are not comfortable doing. Part of being a kid, especially at Halloween, is having fun.

All thoughts and opinions are my own, and in no way have I been influenced by anyone.
My five year old boy loves anything Halloween and he enjoyed this book immensely. Will recommend for sure!
I read this with my grandchildren when they were trying to figure out what to wear for Halloween. It was a cute story about a young witch, Charlotte, who doesn't want to be a scary witch for Halloween. It was tradition, but she wants to change that. With the help of her friends and her grandma, she comes up with a great alternative and her enthusiasm is catchy as her classmates find their own costumes from the stuff Charlotte and her friends found in their attics. We liked this story that teaches about individuality and being yourself. Charlotte was someone who wanted to change things and went about it in a quiet, persistent way. We do not see what mom's reaction was to this change, but grandma and her teacher both agreed. The illustrations are large, vibrant and cute. The expressions show the various emotions the characters were feeling. Overall a good story to show that it is okay to be yourself and show that individuality.
We really enjoyed this book! The story & pictures were beautiful, and it was a very fun read! I would definitiely reccomend this for all little kiddies & its a story worthy of a place on any bookshelf!
This one I have mixed feelings about. I really love the illustrations by Karin Dupuis. The idea that the girl doesn’t want to do things like everyone else thinks they should be is ok.

However, I dislike the idea of turning traditions into bad things. Many traditions are there to remember where you come from or to bring the family closer together and I think they should be a good thing. Teaching little ones that traditions are bad are not really a good thing. I do think that families and people can outgrow a tradition though.

I would recommend pairing this with a book that talks about how traditions are good and how to create a tradition of your own or at least having a discussion about traditions as a whole. Children need to see the good as well as the bad. Otherwise, they may begin to think that traditions, as a whole, are bad.

In addition, this book also has a silent message to go against your parents. While I think that would be a stupid thing for a parent to go against, I also do not condone children being encouraged to disobey their parents, subtle as it may be.

If you disregard the traditions and going against your parents issues then this book is pretty cute and teaches that it’s alright to do things differently from everyone else. That is a message I think is great. Children need to learn that they don’t always have to do what everyone else does.

Overall, I would recommend this book for youngsters for Halloween time. This is a book written by a woman with a female lead who goes against the grain.

⭐️⭐️/5

*This book was given in exchange for my honest review. All opinions and thoughts are my own.
*received for free from netgalley for honest review* really adorable story and i really love how cute the artwork is! too cute lol
This simple Halloween story has appealing illustrations and an okay message... as long as you interpret it a certain way.

Charlotte is a witch, but she's had enough of being scary. On Halloween, all the witches dress up in their scariest clothes and makeup. It's tradition! But Charlotte is tired of the whole scary thing, and when her friends find out how she's feeling, they try to help her find a new costume.

I have no problem with any of this. What kind of bothers me, though, was that when Charlotte gets to school and shows off her new costume, that isn't the end of it. She assumes all the other kids dislike scary stuff as much as she does, and proceeds to bring out a bunch of non-scary costumes, declaring: "No one has to be scary for Halloween." She follows this by saying that the kids should wear whatever they like, but I thought it came off as a little pushy on Charlotte's part, since the kids all seem to be happily decked out in their scary costumes and makeup. Then the teacher declares that the kids are free to wear whatever they like, implying that everyone was literally forced to get scary... which perhaps should've been addressed with more than a weak excuse about tradition. (As far as I know, a tradition isn't a mandate.)

Anyway, I'm sure this book will appeal to kids, as it's bright, appealing, and fairly inoffensive. Some of them might wonder, though, what's so wrong with a scary costume on Halloween.
Like Hermione, the greatest young witch of all time, Charlotte knows that traditions should not remain simply because they always have been. First, she talks with her mom. Then, she talks with her friends. Finally, Grandma Lily encourages her to find an alternative while staying true to herself.⁠
⁠
But what will her classmates say when she reveals her secret Halloween costume?⁠
⁠
"The Secret Halloween Costume" is the perfect book for independent boys and girls.
This story is so cute and great to read for kids during the holiday! I especially loved the illustrations and colouring throughout the book and would definitely recommend this to anyone looking for a book to read their child for halloween.
Adorable story of following your heart. Super cute Halloween story about Charlotte a little witch who doesn’t want to dress up scary anymore. Beautiful illustrations.
I read this book with my four-year-old daughter who is very much in to Halloween this year and she really enjoyed it.

We didn’t get quite the same effect with the book being electronic but she still really enjoyed the story and we are off out this afternoon to a spooky Halloween farm and she is dressing up as a witch!

The images were lovely and suited the story really well - it is 4 stars from us for this one –highly recommended!
Translated (from French I'm guessing!) by John Conn, this sweet look at indpendent-thinking on Halloween, was a delight. Beautifully-illustrated in glowing Halloween colors by Dupuis, and written intelligently by someone with the amazingly French name of Sophie Vaillancourt (I hear that with a delightful French accent in my head as I type it!).

Anyway, this is the story of Charlotte, who doesn't want to be scary on Halloween. I adored the illustration on page 4 of the story where Charlotte is contemplatively upset and strutting away from her oblivious mom, who is determnined to have scary witches on halloween.

Rebelling against mom's antiquated ideas, Charlotte decides to try something new, and she recruits her grandmother to help, so that when the day comes, she dresses how she wants, not how tradition (and mom) dictate. She's can still be a witch without being scary; how about a superhero witch who just looks amazing!

I must confess I'm not sure what the 'with two-way sequins' was all about on the cover. Sequin means the same thing in English or in French. I assume this had something to do with the print version, which I do not merit as an amateur reviewer.  But the sequins? I have no idea what that's about because there are no sequins in this book! LOL! Despite that dire lack of sequins, I still commend it as a worthy read!
Halloween is a scary time.  Bats fly overhead,  trick-or-treating happens in the dark at night, and witches appear out of nowhere to zoom across the sky right in front of your eyes.  It's a spooky night that's full of fright ...  and fun!

Charlotte is a young witch whose mother expects her to robe herself  in black and wear scary makeup that will send shivers down kids' spines.  Charlotte, on the other hand, feels that she isn't meant to be scary and wants to choose her own costume this Halloween Eve.

She shares her feelings with her friends.  She gets an invite up to her friend's attic where they browse through an old trunk filled with  costumes that Charlotte may like.  Unfortunately she finds nothing she  likes.  She does discovers a roll of red material and "Eureka"... the perfect idea pops into her head for its use.

She takes the fabric and hurries off to her beloved Grandmother's house and together the two create the perfect costume that suits Charlotte perfectly.  Will her family and school mates approve of what she chooses?  Charlotte follows her heart thus showing that she is a nontradionalist.  Perhaps her breaking away from tradition will inspire others to do the same.  What do you think?

The illustrations are very well done.  They are colourful, vibrant and engaging.  I love that Charlotte is brave enough to celebrate her true self!  Kudos to her.  I love the book and highly recommend it.
It is cute adorable and easily read I liked this overall and the graphics were very good. This was great and enjoyable good for smaller children.
Thanks to the publishers for sharing this one. It's a sweet story. My full review appears on Weekend Notes.
This is such a cute and perfect book for the Halloween season! Little witch Charlotte doesn't want to have to be a scary witch on Halloween, she wants to be something different! Charlotte is invited by her little witch friend to look through a trunk of old costumes in her attic, but Charlotte can't find one she likes. She finds a roll of red fabric and takes it to her grandmother who helps her to make a surprise costume! I love the themes of doing what makes you comfortable and starting new traditions.
⭐⭐⭐

This was cute. The book is about a young witch called Charlotte who wants to break from tradition and go her own way costume wise. Her grandmother sews a different costume for her which inspires others to do the same, A very sweet book about embracing oneself. Full of eye-catching graphics and drawings as well.

**ARC Via NetGalley**
The Secret Halloween Costume is a really sweet story that, encourages children to be themselves and to have the confidence to not follow the crowd if they don't want to. Being different is great and I love how much this book emphasises that. Charlotte's secret Halloween costume was a very well kept secret, nobody in our house guessed what it would be. The book is a nice length that can be read in one go (but would also be fine to read in parts) and the illustrations are really gorgeous - the kind where you spot something new every time you look at them.
Release date: November 15, 2021!! Which I'm honestly a bit confused about since it's a Halloween story, but do what you gotta do!

This is a cute and super short story about a little witch who wants to switch up tradition and follow her heart. As much as it pains me to say this, this book didn't quite live up to my expectations. I felt like the writing was really botched and all over the place and the plot itself was even a bit strange. The thought that all witches have to be scary felt... idk... off to me. I genuinely thought the art style was absolutely ADORABLE, but it felt a little unfinished and I wish it was given a fuller look. Overall, I think this had SOO much potential, but it lacked overall. Would have loved to see this out more fleshed out.

Thank you to NetGalley and CrackBoom! Books for giving me an advanced reader copy. All thoughts and opinions are, as always, my very own.
A sweet book about standing up for your feelings, but I would have liked the words spread out a bit more among the illustrations!