Cover Image: Delphine Jones Takes a Chance

Delphine Jones Takes a Chance

This was a quick read but also had a lot of depth to it. I loved the characters and couldn't stop reading until I read the last page.

I received an advance copy. All thoughts are my own.
I enjoyed this story of a woman having courage and finding second chances after her life took an unexpected turn when she was young. Great family relationships too.
I REALLY ENJOYED THIS BOOK SO MUCH

This story is full of details and it will maybe take you a little time to get into the characters and the story but it's going to get there, and everything will start to make sense.

Delphine Jones Takes a Chance is the story of delphine a young lady who is working hard to support her daughter and her father, she is a single mother who at times feels like she doesn't really know where is she heading lost and sometimes feels like the world is crumbling all around.

Thank you, NetGalley and Penguin group Putnam, G.P. Putnam's Sons for the advanced copy of Delphine Jones Takes a Chance in exchange for my honest review.
Delphine Jones is a young single mother, juggling multiple jobs while caring for her 11-year-old daughter and her depressed father. After getting pregnant at 16, Delphine has kept herself on the back burner, taking care of her family and just trying to make it through each day with her head above water. But when some exciting opportunities present themselves and Delphine meets some new, supportive people, she realizes it's not too late to change the course of her life.

Delphine Jones Takes a Chance is a heartwarming novel about grief, redemption, self-discovery, and the power of human connection and found family. I was charmed by the characters in this novel -- from Delphine's daughter Em, a brilliant and precocious preteen, to Letty, an elderly Frenchwoman with a sharp tongue and strong opinions. Beth Morrey writes with a gentle touch, in prose laced with humor and heart, and she made me fall in love with Delphine and root for her success and happiness.

Delphine Jones is a sweet slice of life story, which made the ultimate reveal about Em's parentage all the more jarring. In the interest of keeping this review spoiler-free, I'll just say that I had some concerns with how some aspects were just glossed over in the interest of everything staying very rosy. Aside from that, though, this is a book that goes down easy, a charming story with quirky, memorable characters, and I enjoyed my time in Delphine's world.
Delphine Jones Takes a Chance is another moving story full of moments and details by Beth Morrey.

My favorite character was Emma she was a smart, intelligent a very special girl who brought so much to her mother's and grandparent's life, she was unique and different in a very good way, and her intelligence made her stand out also in a good way.

Miss Morrey has a great way of describing all the details of the story and this makes the book more magical and more inspiring I really enjoy Delphine she was a good character.

Without getting into much detail Delphine Jones was a good book something to remember, to immerse yourself in and lose yourself with the characters and the story

Overall I really enjoy this book because somehow it feel very empowering, for me Delphine's character was empowering role model for many of us.

I enjoyed this story of a woman, Delphine, who is finally starting her life again after being a teenage mom. Delphine is employed in a coffee house in a job that has no future. She lives a dreary life with her daughter Em and her depressed dad in a small flat.

Little by little Delphine starts coming to life again as she realizes she is so much more than her circumstances. When she was younger, she was a student with great potential but had to drop her studies when she got pregnant. She finally gets to resume studying and rebuilding her life.

I loved the cast of characters in this book--Roz, her friend and teacher, Libby, an older woman who helps her to embrace life again and Dylan and Sanjay, friends who help her revive her love of performing.

A lovely, uplifting read!
This story is very compelling. After getting pregnant as a teen, Delphine Jones has faded into the background. After losing her job at a cafe, Delphine goes on a journey to find herself. This is an endearing story of a woman trying her best to be a mother, a daughter, a friend, and herself.
I went into this book with not a lot of information, but I think it made for a much better reading experience for me. Delphine Jones is a single mom, caregiver to her widowed father and in a dead end job that leaves her stretched thin pretty much always. In the opening she loses this job, which ultimately sparks Delphine to find the life she was always meant to lead.

With the help of her daughter and some new friends Delphine takes a chance on herself. With a new support system in place and people just rooting for her success, she goes back to school, starts singing again, all while be able to earn the money she needs to support her family.

Ultimately her decisions have an effect on her family and friends too in the most delightful ways. Morrey also gives us a little bit of mystery throughout, on how things derailed so badly for her.

This is such a satisfying read, and you will find yourself rooting for Delphine just like her family and friends. Enjoy this one.

Thank you NetGalley and G.P. Putnam’s Sons for an Advanced Reader’s Copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Delphine Jones Takes a Chance by Beth Morrey truly is my kind of book. I’ve never read anything from this author before, but the cover really grabbed my attention when I was scrolling through Netgalley one day. With a quick skim of the synopsis, I took a chance like the title suggests, placed a request, and crossed my fingers. (Thankfully, the publisher approved me.) Delphine is a character that I instantly fell for, and cared about immediately. She’s a single mom who lives with (and cares for) her elderly father and teenage daughter. She supports them both by working multiple jobs, and still has a tough time making ends meet. Her life has never been easy, and she just can’t catch a break. Then one day, she takes a chance…

PICK UP THIS BOOK IF YOU ENJOY READING ABOUT:

- Diverse groups of friends
- Bookish talk and references
- The French language
- Navigating grief
- Bands, live music, and coffee shops
- Following your dreams, and second chances

This novel has strong themes of family, friendship, motherhood, and even a smidge of romance. It warmed my heart, and gave me all the feels. I highly recommend this novel if you enjoy rooting for the underdog. 4/5 stars for Delphine Jones Takes a Chance! It’s available now!
I picked out this book because I loved the cover. The retro art drew me in and I was expecting to read a book set in the 1950s or ‘60s, but this charming story is set in modern day London. Delphine is a likable heroine and I found myself rooting for her. Her life was filled with challenges but she kept going and pursued her dreams. This sweet story has a lot of heart and depth. I really enjoyed this lighthearted pick.
Oh I deeply enjoyed this gentle, thoughtful novel. Delphine Jones our narrator lives in the London area with her dad and super bright & clever 11 year old daughter. Delphine’s teen pregnancy and other events of her past sent her dreams off track and she’s basically stuck.

Kismet essentially sends her off on a path of self improvement and exploring all the amazing talents she had pushed away while taking care of her bereaved father and young child.

This is a novel about motivating yourself to do better and reach your potential, and Delphine has a lot of cheerleaders in her corner and I mean A LOT. I imagine I would be motivated to do better if I had this much support but I digress.

Even more it is a story about friendship, motherhood, and why taking care of yourself benefits those around you. I loved all the characters, they are all textured in a real way, flawed and curious and complex.

Delphine herself is portrayed as a bit flawless, especially once she gains motivation she can do no wrong. Might’ve been more relatable if she wasn’t so darn amazing at everything and beautiful inside and out ☺️
You can’t change your past, but what comes next is up to you. This book is about a mother’s journey to raising her daughter so she doesn’t end up in the very same situation. It’s a heartfelt book that shows the struggle of a single mom who’s trying to become successful. This book will bring all sorts of emotion, it covers various difficult topics. It will be a great add to your book club since it will spark so many discussions.
A wonderful story about a single mother doing her best and how her life starts to change once she takes a few chances. Well written and thought provoking
This was lovely. It was beautiful and charming and felt like a warm cup of tea. It took me a little while to get into it but then I fell for the characters and was hooked. It’s tender and sweet and very sad at times but a great afternoon read.
A lovely book about taking your second chance.  Delphine has been struggling to keep her head and those of her father and later her daughter Em above water since the death of her mother when she was 13.  Now, she's lost her job at a cafe, Em is 11 and incredibly intelligent, and her dad is, well, still deeply depressed.  A chance conversation with her daughter's teacher, however, leads to a job speaking French with Letty and then a role in a band.  Em finds her a job in a cafe.  And it all makes her think- can she go back and take her A levels and then move on to University?  It's not easy, none of it is, and there are pitfalls along the way.  I loved this for the characters- not just Delphine but the wise young Em, Letty, the people in the cafe, and so on.  Delphine's kept a secret for years, one which will surprise you (it surprised me).  Morrey is a great storyteller- she sweeps you up into Delphine's world and pulls you along.  Thanks to the publisher for the ARC.  Great read.
Delphine Jones Takes a Chance by Beth Morrey. Pub Date: April 5, 2022. Rating: 🌟🌟🌟🌟. Delphine Jones is a young woman raising her daughter, taking care of her father and getting lost and feeling stuck in the unknown. She works at a low paying and thankless job, lives with her father and doesn’t have enough funds to branch out to get a place of her own with her daughter. Throughout the story, little scenes of inspiration start to unfold and Delphine begins a journey of reawakening, new experiences and hope. I absolutely adored this novel and loved how the story unfolded. Thanks to Penguin Group Putnam and NetGalley for this e-arc in exchange for my honest review. #netgalley  #putnam #penguinbooks #delphinejonestakesachance #bookstagram #bibliophile #igreads #bookworm
This book has also been published with the title "Em & Me". It is the first book I have read by this author.

This is the story of Delphine Jones, who is raising a smart young daughter by herself. She lives with her father, who has never gotten over the accidental death of his wife. Delphine was once a gifted student who gave up all her dreams when she became a teen mom. One day in her dead-end job, an old schoolmate comes in and mocks her. As a result, Delphine is fired. This sets off a whole chain of events and Delphine begins to bloom.

That's so much to love in this book. The food, the music, the literature, the culture. Even the way the author wrote the story, the words she chose, there was something about it that just grabbed me. I found myself reading parts out loud.

I found myself cheering for Delphine. Each new person she met, each situation. We as readers knew before she did that things would probably work out, and it was a treat to see her gain confidence and bloom.  I was very happy with the ending. I am looking forward to reading more by this author.

Thank you, NetGalley, for the chance to read and reviews this book. All opinions are mine, and are freely expressed.

This ARC was provided to me via Kindle, PENGUIN GROUP Putnam  and  by #NetGalley. Opinions expressed are completely my own.

It was a lovely story about a mom, daughter and sacrifice.
DNF. Unfortunately, this was a book I started multiple times but could just not get into. I appreciate having the opportunity to read this book, it was just not a good fit for me as a reader. Thank you to the publisher and NetGalley for my gifted review copy.
Thanks to PENGUIN GROUP Putnam, I was provided an ARC of Delphine Jones Takes a Chance by Beth Morrey via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ Delphine Jones had a baby at age 16, so this sets her on the path to having waitressing, barista and maid type jobs. After many failures, one of her bosses gives her the opportunity and along with her daughter’s encouragement, she decides to finally complete her high-school degree. Will she be able to be successful with the opportunities she is given, so she can provide for her daughter in ways she wasn’t able to before?

This book is about a mother’s journey to raising her daughter, so that her daughter doesn’t end up in the same situation. This heartfelt book shows the struggles of a single mom who with support from her family, friends and peers can become successful!

Even though this is quick read, it’s not an easy one as this book brings out all kinds of emotion covering topics of personal struggles, love, loss, rape, taking care of an aging parent,second chances and friendships. This would make a great book club pick as it will spark many great discussions.