Cover Image: All That We Have Lost

All That We Have Lost

All That We Have Lost by Suzanne Fortin is a charming story of a World War II tragedy told in alternating time frames. On the present day Imogen Wren is aghast when she overhears some co-workers talking about her. They called her The Android, and as she thought about it she realized it was true. She had lost her husband, James four years ago and since had stopped living. She thought about it for weeks and finally decided to do something about it. That something was selling her house, quitting her job, and moving to Brittany, a place she and James had loved. She was off a found a partially burned out chalet, which was not what she had thought she had wanted, but it spoke to her heart. In 1944, Simone Varon was an eighteen-year-old girl, living through the Nazi occupation of her hometown. She went through unspeakable times; losing people she loved to the Nazis as well as her own reputation. She eventually married and had children, and grandchildren, one of whom was Laurent Roussell, who now wanted to help refurbish the chalet.

Only fairly recently have the stories of the resistance become so popular and well they might have. So many people fought the Nazis in so many ways, some large and some small. When I visited Europe a few years ago, it struck me how current the war still was for them. One of the reasons is the effect the resistance had on so many families, in so many towns and cities. This is one heart-breaking story of a town that misunderstood the actions of one of its citizens, never understanding what she had lost, but hating her for what they thought she had done. The characters, both past and present, were well-rounded, with histories and emotions. The story itself is based in reality and reminds us, once again, to look deeper before we judge . . . and always to communicate. Things that are done out of love are never forgotten. What a powerful message.

I was invited to read a free e-ARC of All That We Have Lost by Aria Books, through Netgalley. All thoughts and opinions are mine. #netgalley #aria #allthatwehavelost #suzannefortin
All That We Have Lost by Suzanne Fortin is an excellent dual timeline historical fiction novel that weaves a tale of history, mystery, suspense, intrigue, and romance. I enjoyed it immensely.

I really loved this dual-narrative novel that took the reader between France WWII and present-day. It takes the readers in between two strong women, Simone (1944) and Imogen (2019) in their own rights, with battles that they both experience respectively. Both women seem so different, but both have so much in common. I will leave the reader to find out how each woman’s story contributes to the other…I don’t want to spoil the surprise twists for the fellow reader.

I really liked Simone and her story. While it was brutal, emotional, and at times overwhelming and frustrating, my heart went out to her in the difficult situations, decisions, and sacrifices she had to make for her family and for her country.

I enjoyed the pacing, the plot, and the way the author was able to weave the two stories together into a beautiful and satisfying ending.

5/5 stars

Thank you NG and Aria & Aries for this wonderful arc and in return I am submitting my unbiased and voluntary review and opinion.

I am posting this review to my GR and Bookbub accounts immediately and will post it to my Amazon, Instagram, and B&N accounts upon publication.
«  Papa always told us that to be brave doesn’t mean you have to fear. It just means you can move forwards in spite of that fear. »

This book got my hooked right from the start. Beautiful and captivating writing of Fortin, dual timeline from present days and 1944 occupied Brittany, France, two strong female figures… it has everything that I love and even more.

Synopsis:

2019. You follow Imogen Wren, young woman who lost her husband 4 years ago, had miscarriages and does not seem to find happiness in her life anymore. Imogen decides to change her life and moves to chateau in small village in France after overhearing her coworkers calling her an Android.

1944. Simone Varon is an 18year old girl living with her mother and sick brother Pierre in occupied city Trédion. All she wants is to protect her family, be a part of Resistance and to finally get ride of the Boches. That is until she meets a young German solder who proves to her that there is more that a soldier behind that uniform.

This book broke my heart in so many ways. I feel sad for Imogen who could not find purpose in her life anymore. I felt crushed reading the end of Simone’s story (no spoilers here). I followed the lives of these two incredibly strong women, who had to make hard choices to either protect themselves, or their families or country.

This book made me realize how easy it is for us to judge others without knowing their stories. How much we like to gossip behind people’s backs rather than tell in the face. How jealousy, stupidity and lies can change lives of some people. Would not our lives be easier and more enjoyable if we could just say to people how we feel, ask if we doubt their actions, rather than be a bunch of cowards?

Thank you @netgalley and @sue_fortin for letting me discover this beautiful story.
4.5 Stars
1944. Since the moment German troops stepped foot in her village, the sole aim of Simone Varon's life has been to avoid them. Until one soldier, Max Becker, begins leaving medicine bottles for her sick brother, and she gets to know the man behind the uniform. Then the Resistance comes calling.
A dual time line book, which centres around the grieving Imogen & Simone who was thought to be a collaborator however it is the chateau that links them. This is the first book I’ve read by the author & it won’t be the last. I was drawn in from the start & devoured the book in two sittings. The characters are very well portrayed & have depth I was totally invested in Imogen & Simones’ journeys & would recommend this lovely book
My honest review is for a special copy I voluntarily read
I received this as an ARC through Netgalley.  All That We Have Lost follows two timelines, Simone in 1944 and Imogen in 2019.  I found Simone's story more intriguing, and couldn't wait to get back to her timeline when the chapters where more present day.  Suzanne Fortin's descriptions of Brittany, made me feel like I was actually there in France.
What a beautiful  book.  It spans 2 time zones . 2019 and 1944. It will lead you through many emotions f love and loss and has mystery and intrigue throughout  the story.
Excellent .First time I have read  a novel by Suzanne Fortin but will look out for more.
5 stars from me .
Many thanks to Netgalley for the advance copy in return for an honest review.
I am usually hesitant to pick up books that deal with War. It makes me feel as if I am preying on their trauma for my own entertainment. I requested this book in the hopes of breaking that stereotype and I was not disappointed. With a dual timeline, All That We Have Lost follows two women.

During WW2, in German-occupied France, we follow Simone and her life as a Jew under the oppressive regime. Her life full of dilemmas and struggles made me turn pages with such fervour. I really enjoyed reading her despite my reticence of reading wars.

In the other timeline, we follow Imogen navigating her life after loss. Grieving for her husband and child, she moves to France. This is where the story gets interesting. The past and present form an interesting tangent that made this book delightful to read.

Overall, I really enjoyed reading this book and would recommend to the lovers of historical fiction.
Split time pieces seems to be the latest thing in fiction. This story moves back and forth from WWII and 2019. One is the story of a young French woman who suffers and the other is a young widow who buys a dilapidated  chateau and comes into contact with the French woman’s grandson and their story. I liked the modern day story the best. I just couldn’t get behind Simone’s story. I understood  her actions, but dodmt agree with her choices.
This dual time historical fiction story will draw readers in from the beginning and hold their attention throughout. Both Imogen and Simone have stories of love and heartbreak but it different ways. Readers will see the invasion of Germans of a small French town through the eyes of a teenage girl in Imogen's story. Laurent's grandmother's painful past is slowly revealed through Simone. Both stories intertwine to conclude this book in a satisfying way. Recommended!
Thanks to Netgalley, Aria and Suzanne Fortin for this ARC in return for my honest review. I'm a huge fan of historical fiction, especially when there's a dual timeline involved. This book was well researched and the characters were cleverly drawn.
A duel timeline story. In present day widowed Imogen buys a run down chateau in a village in France. She doesn't know that the chateau was occupied by the Natzis during the war as was the village. The villagers think the chateau is cursed.
In 1944 Simone lives in the chateau that is occupied by the Natzis . She has to do as they tell her which she resents until one kind German soldier catches her eye.
The architect helping Imogen with the chateau's renovation is Simone's grandson. Why isn't he liked in the village?
A story of a terrible time in France's history when they were ruled by the Germans. Terrible atrocities happened during that time and ordinary people felt compelled to help with the resistance to free France.
I enjoyed how the story was told through the duel timeline. Likeable characters apart from the Natzi soldiers which is only to be expected. A bit edge of your seat stuff at times in the 1944 part of the timeline.  Suzanne knows how to tell  a good story.
Thanks to Netgalley.co.uk for a copy of this book in return for an honest review.
📚The Blurb
Papa always told us that to be brave doesn't mean you have no fear.
It just means you can move forwards in spite of that fear.
2019. When Imogen Wren's husband dies, she must realise their dream of moving to France on her own. She finds a beautiful abandoned chateau and starts to rebuild her life among its ruins. But she soon notices that the locals won't come near. A dark web of secrets surrounds the house, and it all seems to centre on the war...
1944. Since the moment German troops stepped foot in her village, the sole aim of Simone Varon's life has been to avoid them. Until one soldier begins leaving medicine bottles for her sick brother, and she gets to know the man behind the uniform. Then the Resistance comes calling, and she must choose between love and duty – with devastating consequences that will echo through the decades.
As Imogen restores the chateau, she's determined to uncover the truth – and set to rest the ghosts of the past.

My Review
💕 All That We Have Lost is a beautifully presented account of the lives of two different women.
In France, 1944, it tells of one young woman's need to help save the country she loves, no matter what the personal cost to her and her family.
In England, 2019 it follows the life of a woman, desperately trying to find herself following a tragic event. She makes a life changing decision which propels her into a new life with unforseen consequences.
Following the lives of these two incredible women, 'All that we have Lost'  is both a love story, and a tale of strength, bravery and overcoming the unavoidable obstacles in life.
The link between these two women is unveiled as the story progresses and is what makes it such a wonderful story about these truly strong women.
Anyone who likes the novels of Lucinda Riley will love this story.
I really enjoyed this book.
Firstly I love dual time line books, and feel that they add to the story if done well, where this was done very well.
The 2 main characters in the 1944 and 2019 were characters that you couldn't help but admire.
The book was well researched and there were things that I learnt from the earlier setting which is always a plus in my opinion even when reading for pleasure.
Thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for an early review copy.

I felt this  was a really interesting and enjoyable story.

It had me hooked from the beginning. It’s a dual-time-line, from present to 1944 when German occupied France.

It’s about a village, the people and the struggle they have with food shortages and the Germans living there. It’s definitely one book to read, not too heavy.

If I could give it more than 5 stars ⭐️, I would.

Highly Recommend This Book.
would like to thank netgalley and the publishers for letting me read this gripping novel

a little village in france is overtaken with germans...who run roughshod over the villagers and their way of life...but certain people in the village are member of the resistance, but nobody is actually sure who they are...

there are two parts to this story...the one in the past and the one in the future, they are told in separate chapters and it doesnt spoil the actual storyline

a history of a time that should never be forgotten...

really enjoyed this book and loved how the authors writes...will be keeping an eye out for more of this authors works
First of all This book has dual timeslines. We follow Simones story during the occupation of france during ww2.
In present time we follow imogens story.
This book was for me a good mix between historical fiction and women fiction. I liked the story, IT was well developed, but i liked Simones story the better. It kept me intrigued and honestly. More things happened in her story.
I liked imogens story too, but It was done before, if you know what i mean.  Thank you to netgalley for letting me read This e arc in exchange for an honest opinion
Beautiful historical fiction told in dual timelines.

In 2019, Imogene moves to France and uncovers a mysterious past about the château she is renovating. Those secrets go all the way back to 1944, involving Simone, her mother and brother, and Max, a German soldier who, unlike many of his kind, is caring and genuine, procuring much needed medicine for Simone’s brother.

This was a very well-crafted story, also well researched, and I enjoyed it. If you’re a fan of historical fiction or dual timeline stories, this is for you, give it a read!

Thanks to the author, publisher and NetGalley for the opportunity to read and review this book, but my opinions are my own.
The story
It’s 1944, and 18 year old Simone is the daughter of a Breton shopkeeper. She plays the flute left to her by her late father. The Germans have commandeered the local chateau, and she is ordered by Claus, a German officer to come play the flute one Friday night. Another kind German officer Max who was a music teacher before the war befriends her and protects Simone. In modern times, a young English widow Imogen decides to move to France, a dream she and her late husband James had. When she purchases the run down chateau, architect Laurent, grandson of Simone, offers to her Imogen with the renovations. He is not liked in the village, a hatred passed down through the generations.

My thoughts
This is a thoughtful and beautiful read. On so many levels, the story is about things not being what they seem at first sight. Not all German officers are cruel, Simone and Laurent aren’t what the villagers believe about them. It’s also a story about Imogen trying hard to pull her life of grief into a new direction. She makes an effort to give back to the community even when she has so much to do in her own restoration. It’s a goodie 👍
2019: When Imogen Wren's husband dies, she must realise their dream of moving to France on her own. She finds a beautiful abandoned chateau and starts to rebuild her life among it's ruins. But soon she notices the locals won't come near. A dark web of secrets surround the house, and it seems to centre on the war.

1941: Since the moment German troops set foot in her village, the sole aim of Simone Varon's life has been to avoid them, Until one soldier begins leaving medicine bottles for her sick brother and she gets to know the man behind the uniform. Then the Resistance comes calling and she must choose between love and duty.

During the second World War, the chateau was taken over by the Germans and now the locals think that it was cursed. The Germans had treated the locals badly. Imogen restores the fire damaged chateau and she's also determined to find out what had happened in Tredion during the war.

This is a well written story with a dual timeline. I loved Simone and Imogen who were strong characters. This is a most enjoyable read.

I would like to thank #NetGalley #AriaAries and the author #SuzanneFortin for my ARC of #AllThatWeHaveLost in exchange for an honest review.
All That We Have Lost by Suzanne Fortin is an excellent reading experience. This wonderful historical fiction blends dual time periods, one in 1944 and the present day.
A moving tale of heartbreak and survival.
This is one book you don’t want to miss!