Cover Image: Kids Cook Dinner

Kids Cook Dinner

Kids Cook Dinner by Deanna F. Cook is a great beginner cookbook for kids!  It describes  cooking terms and techniques  great photos .  The recipes look delicious and healthy.  I can’t wait to use this cookbook when my nieces come to visit.
Nice little book to start with basic information on cooking dinner by children, the recipes are easy and ones that would appeal to young people. There are step-by-step photograph instructions and lots of sound information about buying, breakdown of cost, nutrition, reading labels and lots more, as well as recipes.

It is never too early to get kids involved in making meals> I remember when my children where still in primary school, they had one day a week that they were responsible  to  cook an entree and a main or a main and a dessert. There use to be a little magazine planner  available, (30yrs ago now)  with one month of simple meals to cook. All the children love to cook now and talk about their early start in food. .
Great book for beginning to cook with children, with recipes suitable for the whole family. The instructions are clear and simple and encouraged confidence in the 8 year olds I explored this with. The children were engaged and enjoyed looking through the different recipes to choose what they wanted to cook next. Definitely one to recommend to the families I work with!
Thank you to the Storey Publishing and NetGalley for the advanced electronic review copy of this book. This is a great cookbook with 23 easy, step-by-step illustrated recipes aimed for the beginning young chefs. It also includes information about different cooking techniques (sautéing, roasting, chopping, grating, etc), which are illustrated and explained in an easy to understand language, as well as information about how to read a food label on packages, how to figure out the amount of servings, etc.
Great cookbooks for kids as well as anyone just learning to cook. I liked the lessons in the beginning and the easy, step by step instructions. I like that none of it was complicated, perfect for a child’s level.
This children's cookbooks is full of beautiful and colorful illustrations and simple to follow instructions. It also has a wide variety of recipes to inspire young chef's. Definitely adding this to the Library's preorder list.
Thank you to Netgalley and the Publisher for the opportunity to read and review this title. All opinions and mistakes are my own.
Cooking is an enjoyable process. Kids cook dinner is a good cookbook, a valuable resource for children to help them understand what is meant by good cooking. It shows how children can cook themselves by introducing different things involved in an effective cooking process.

The book covers each aspect of cooking, like cleaning the utensils, using different tools, safety precautions, nutritional value, cost calculation, etc. The step-by-step narration helps children to get the maximum out of their cooking.

Pictures in the book are also very organized. They show the reader what exactly they have to do during each process.
An engaging kids cook book! Strong visuals and explanation of steps. I appreciated the background knowledge they give on terms, safety, etc in the front of the book. Very accessible for kids and families with a range of recipe ideas.
This book has a wide collection of recipes from all over the world. There is a wide variety of different cuisines and lots of different flavours. There is a really comprehensive introduction at the start, where children could learn some interesting skills - there is lots of useful advice before they get started. I think this book would appeal to children who like to be quite adventurous in their eating and who like trying new and different foods.
Kids Cook Dinner by Deanna F Cook is very colorful recipe book. Very easy for kids to read and follow directions.
Fun for the whole family.
Great pictures
As a mom with preteens who love to be in the kitchen, this book became a tool and an asset. I would enjoy giving this as a gift to my young chefs, especially knowing they may receive so much of the great kitchen smarts coming from someone other than their parent. The recipes are explained very well and seem very doable for all levels of young cooks. The very early beginner can follow exact, step-by-step directions and be guaranteed of a good meal to share. Those with a little more experience and creativity can use the wisdom as a launch pad for safely exploring their desire to create in the kitchen.
I received a complimentary copy from the publisher via NetGalley and all opinions expressed are solely my own, freely given.
This book could be a great example of how-to writing for my students.. and to show them how kids can cook, too! It has clear steps and photos--and the recipes are quite diverse as well, from fish tacos to fried rice. It also has a section in the beginning about nutritional info and healthy eating.
A wonderful cookbook for kids wanting to learn cooking skills and be able to cook a  recipe.  The book starts off with kitchen  rules.  There are a total of sixteen rules given.  Most of the recipes in the book require prep work before you make the dish. It shows you how to do prep work by explaining how to chop and dice, mince, juice plus more.   There is an explanation of terms used in recipes.  There is an explanation on why it’s important to measure the ingredients carefully.  Kitchen safety is discussed.  There is a chart that converts recipe measurements.  I was surprised to find that there were money saving tips for grocery shopping (how nice).  Calculate the price of your recipe you’re making beside explaining how to make a healthy balanced meal.  There is also a description of what a nutrition label tells you, then comes the recipes!  I think that having an adult assist you the first few times you make a recipe, you might want an adult to help just in case you don’t understand the recipe or using the stove or oven for the first tim.e.

The book is clearly written and the illustrations are great.  Since this book is geared for kids as young as 8 years old,  I thought all the information that was given may be  a bit much to remember everything.  The recipes are great.  The recipes are healthy — you won’t learn to make junk food.   While this cookbook is geared for kids, I suspect some moms wouldn’t mind making the recipes too.
This was a great cookbook and I really enjoyed reading through the recipes. I definitely found some that I will be making.
Great book!
That's exactly how I learnt at the time. The recipes are realistic for chidlren to make, they learn all the basics and the recipes are short and easy to understand.
There are some brilliant dinner recipes and I wish it also included breakfast and other recipes because it's really ideal for children.
The recipes listed here are pretty much the standard fare for cooking with kids. It speaks directly to kids, explaining the basics of making everything from vinaigrette to quesadillas, and also includes sidebars on interpreting nutritional info from packaging. Additionally, it discusses the basic terminology of cooking, and how to complete certain tasks (stirring, whisking, etc.). One nice thing is it shows a couple of different ways to complete a task, like one way using the stovetop and a second way using the microwave.

It also, somewhat oddly to my mind, delves into money saving measures, which I'm not sure is aimed at the ostensible kid chefs or their adult overseers who don't already know. Perhaps it's intended as a lifeskills moment. If costs are a concern though, it's also a bit odd that it instructs the use of certain kitchen implements that not everyone has (garlic press, juicer, salad spinner).

The photos are colorful and take the reader through most of the steps of a recipe, which is helpful for new cooks. It can get repetitive though. There are some pictures that are meant to be decorative, but they are not representational, and they're just odd. It might be a formatting issue for the digital version as viewed on my device?

An effort has been made to present food from a variety of cultures, but is also kid friendly.

Overall, a nice book for kids, but not breaking any new ground.
I love this children’s cookbook. I don’t think I will be making anything from it but I felt the recipes are easy enough that my teenagers could make them without my assistance. That is always a plus. Hope to see more books like this in the future.
Kids Cook Dinner is a fabulous book for kids to start on the adventure of cooking. The first part offers some cooking techniques, also safety in the kitchen and there are some tips for saving money when you go shopping groceries and help you to understand the nutritional label of the products. I really like the recipes and the instructions are easy and clear for kids to follow. My boys have fun cooking Dinner!

Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for the ARC in6 interchange for my honest review.
Great book for kids starting to branch out in to cooking, lots of easy to follow recipes and great pictures. Simple language used perfect for children. A great Christmas present.
A good book to share some fun times with your child, encouraging them to produce (and consume) good quality food.

The recipes may not jump out as things that you might have elected to cook, but they work really well and have a good grounding in the main requirements of cooking.