Cover Image: Yoko Ono

Yoko Ono

I love the books in the Little People, Big Dreams series and this was another enjoyable, child friendly biography. Yoko Ono has been a controversial person and I didn't know much about her before she met and married John Lennon. This was a good introduction to her life, including her relationship with her parents, her lonely early life, her escape from Tokyo in 1945 and her return later. I did not know about her accomplishments or that she was a huge part of the artistic community in New York. Being an introduction to her life and her dreams that she pursued geared to children, this book is told in a positive way, not including the negativity. The illustrations by Momoko Abe are perfect for this book. They are just a bit quirky, large, vivid and detailed adding much to the book. I always enjoy the timeline with photographs and suggestions for further reading, so those who want to know more can find books to read that are also child friendly. As always, the message for young children to be yourself even if it makes you seem different. Different people have different ideas and that is a wonderful thing. Follow your dreams, It can change the world. A great addition to the series that I recommend public and school libraries stock.
5 stars.
I like a few Beatles songs, but I'm not a real superfan by any means. Consequently, I barely know anything about the band, never mind their partners, so I was really interested by this short biography. I knew the barest minimum about Yoko Ono. Even though this is aimed at younger readers and as such, clearly not a full, detailed biography, it was fascinating to learn about her childhood in Japan, her art, and accomplishments. The colorful, graphic illustrations by Momoko Abe are the perfect compliment and will definitely catch the reader's eye and keep attention. This is an great addition to the Little People, Big Dreams series!

I am so grateful to Quarto Publishing Group/Frances Lincoln Children's Books and NetGalley for the opportunity to read and review Yoko Ono.
Not the Best of the Bunch

I have read several books in this series (Little People, Big Dreams) that looks at celebrities from their youngest ages to when they've accomplished what we know them for. In general, I've enjoyed these books. Unfortunately, I wasn't as wild about this one for a reason that may not seem like enough. While I was interested in learning more about cultural icon and activist Yoko Ono, I didn't like the way the illustrator portrayed her throughout the book. Yoko Ono was born in Japan, having a decidedly Japanese look. The illustrations rarely showed her nationality/ethnicity. On most pages, she looks like a dark-haired European, not a Japanese woman at all. While I’ve put in over five decades on this planet and knew much of Yoko's story from when her husband died until now, the book shares details, especially about her younger life, that I didn't know. If you can get beyond the poor illustrations, you or your child might find this a little glimpse of her life fascinating.

Yoko Ono is one of the latest additions yo the Little People Big Dreams series and I have found my favourite so far in this series.
I didn't know a great deal about Yoko Ono and I found this a fascinating and inspirational read. This book will inspire and encourage children to reach for all they hope and dream for and not let anything stand in their way.
I loved the illustrations and even though these biographies are short and sweet they capture essential, positive information to inspire the young of today!
Coming from a wealthy family, Yoko Ono was an artist with her own mind. So even if her family consider her not in the norm, she was fine with it and continued her life as she liked.

One women behind one of the famous The Beatles' personnel that we tend to ignore, her life was also exciting. Thank you so much for brought her life into the lights of children nowadays. This is a great encouragement to those girls who longed to be themselves but are scared to do so.
This book is cute!  A few pages were a little strange, but I guess Yoko was a little eccentric!  😂 Overall, great book!
Yoko Ono is the latest addition to the Little People, Big Dream series written by Maria Isabel Sanchez Vegara. This story focuses on Yoko's childhood in Japan and her arty lifestyle in USA, when she was young. She is a very unique person but I can't forgive her for "breaking up" The Beatles! Thanks to the publisher and NetGalley for my digital copy.
OK I am from the generation which is aware of who beatles were but not their history .I was aware of Yoko Ono as in wife of Lennon and that's it .This book gives her a personality of her own which I really appreciate. This is my favourite series of all times and would want writer to expand and reach out to other nation's heroes too .
I'm 45-years-old and this is the most I've ever learned about Yoko Ono. It was so simple, yet flowed in its own poetic way.
I really didn't know anything about Yoko Ono other than she was the villain who nearly broke up the Beatles. The book does a great job at highlighting the main points of her life, as well as humanizing her -- something that's not often paired with Yoko. The book is short and sweet, which is perfect for young readers, and it also includes a section at the end that provides a little more information about her.
My six-year-old loves every book that Maria Isabel Sanchez Vegara writes in the Little People Big Dreams series. These inspirational biographies wonderful way to give our children a peek into the lives of people who have made an impact on our world. It allows them to imagine the ways they might also make an impact. I learned as much as my daughter did from the book about Yoko Ono. This isn't necessarily a book I would have chosen for us, but my daughter loves this series so much I felt pressured to get it. The story is, as always, expertly written for this age group. The illustrations are wonderful. This is a great read, perfect for any child, classroom or library.

The publisher made a copy of this book available for review via Netgalley. This is my honest opinion.
This new entry in a favorite series tells the story of Yoko Ono. Young readers will learn about her life in Japan, her move to New York and her connection to THAT musician. They will discover that her family life and circumstances were difficult and that Yoko felt that she needed to rely upon herself for many years. Children will read about Imagine and the way in which Yoko has honored John. They will also see the importance of living life according to one’s own vision. As always, the story is well told and illustrated with additional information at the end of the story.

Many thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for this excellent entry in an excellent series. All opinions are my own.
I received an electronic ARC from Quarto Publishing Group – Frances Lincoln Children's Books through NetGalley.
Sanchez Vegara continues her Little People, Big Dreams series with a biography of Yoko Ono. Young readers see her find her passion from a young age. She was always interested in pursuing art and expression. This desire led her to leave Japan and come to New York City. There she was able to fully explore her passion and encourage others to do the same. The illustrations offer readers a look at her life as they read her story. Well done informative text for elementary level readers.
Not my most favourite in the series but a joy to read nonetheless. This series does well to provide little bios
Yoko Ono was a terrific person to pick for the little People, Big Dreams Series. Like most people I knew about Yoko mainly through the debate if she caused the break-up of the Beatles. She was blamed for changing John Lennon and causing problems that made the group break up. So, she was vilified for this and her art was never taken seriously. She only wanted to be herself her whole life.

I did not realize Yoko had such a difficult childhood. She grew up very isolated and her parents just did not have enough time to spend with her. She already felt different. Then the war breaks out between the United States and Japan. Yoko must move to the countryside. For the first time being able to get enough food becomes a real concern. This must have had a drastic effect on Yoko, who was already struggling in Japan. Luckily, she had her art and that had always saved her from despair.

She decides to leave and go to New York City to meet other artists like herself. She loves practicing art and doing performance. At this time she meets John Lennon. They fall in love. Both believe the answer is to spread the word of peace to the world. Sadly, John Lennon is killed, so she is left alone again. She builds an Imagine Peace Tower and buries a wish. Now over one million people have sent their wishes, too.

By being herself, she has always continued to believe in causes that promote peace. So, knows that a dream dreamt together makes that dream a reality.

That is a beautiful message for young children to hear. Be yourself even if it makes you seem different. You have something important to say. Different people have different ideas and that is a wonderful thing. It can and does change the world.

Thank you NetGalley, Ma Isabel Sanchez Vegara, and Frances Lincoln Books for an ARC of this fantastic book. The series is incredible.
I was given an advance digital copy of this book in exchange for giving an honest review.  This is not a 500 page deep dive to recall her entire life with before and after JohnLennon.,   It is rather a very succinct review of her life, a life well lived paving her own way through the journey on her own terms.  It is  very well illustrated to take the reader from one note to the next dispensed in the perfect amount of information for a young mind to absorb. I loved the book, myself, and the use of trees and their foliage to transport me.  I found the book to be both  delightful. As well as informative. Yes I would definitely recommend this book.
I enjoyed this book and even as an adult, learnt from it. The bright, colourful illustrations stand out yet are simple enough to engage children. The story itself is informative without including too much information to overwhelm kids, factual yet still in a story style which keeps children interested.
Beautiful and inspiring. Perhaps a little alarming for younger readers as obviously grown up themes such as parental abandonment/disowning and the death of a loved one. Recommended for Year 4 and above.
Learned a lot about Yoko Ono from this cute little book! Love the series of books and was happy to find this one!
I’m a big John Lennon fan and there was a lot I didn’t know before this book. I read this with my 8yo son and it was easy for him to follow. We looked up Yoko Ono’s art and music after reading this so it was great to be able to peak his interest on someone he’s never heard of before.