Cover Image: The Stolen Baby

The Stolen Baby

This was a really good book that I enjoyed listening to.  The story was very good and the narrator was excellent .
This took me a bit to get into but ended up loving. The fact that it is based off true events made it even better. Even though this is a story during the war, it focuses on the story of a missing baby after a bombing in the city. I was not very fond of the two mothers in the story. One obviously stole a child and ran away when she knew people were looking for the child. The other was young and whiny and annoying. However! They were essential to the story.
The Shawbrook family has a plan for when the sirens go off. Everyone is responsible for somebody. So, when Vera was late one evening because she was partying, Freddie was not picked up out of his crib. He was left at home during the air raid. The next day, a cop happens to hear a baby crying inside the bombed house. He scoops up Freddie. Instead of taking him to one of the shelters, he takes him home to his depressed wife, Maggie.

As you can guess, this story twists around and due to some extreme circumstances, Maggie keeps this sweet baby to raise on her own. But, it does not stop any of his family from searching for him.

I enjoyed the hunt in this story. The process of elimination and the deductions were used to create a unique tale. You will just have to read this to find out how all this works out!

The only issue I had with the narrator was Vera’s voice. But, it may be that I just disliked Vera. But, when Vera was mad the narrator tended to get shrill. But, that is just minor. But, honestly it could be that I really disliked Vera. I found her overbearing and selfish. And sometimes…plain rude!

Need an all around good story…THIS IS IT! Grab your copy today.

I received this novel from the publisher for a honest review.
4.25 STARS

Set against a WWII backdrop, “The Stolen Baby” is based on a factual story, boasting an intriguing premise that pulled me in right from the very start. Despite some improbable situations and the lack of any true surprises, the story itself is both heartbreaking and truly compelling. The audio narrator did a decent job of drawing me deeper into the story, and her appropriately accented voice added to my overall listening experience.
This is a lovely story set in World War Two. A historical tale of love, life and family. What does motherhood look like? What scarifies will we do as parents? Love historical fiction you will love this book
I listened to the audio ARC through Netgalley. The Stolen Baby is a heart wrenching story about a baby that gets left at home during an air raid strike during WWII in England. The narrator does an excellent job as the narrator for this story and made me feel like I was there as she would be talking. In the confusion of an air raid strike, baby Freddy gets left at home. A kind officer finds him the next day and brings him back to his house as the shelters would be packed with people. His wife who had lost a baby 9 months before, believes this is her second chance to be a mum and dreads when she'll have to give the baby back to it's rightful family......or will she try to find a way to keep him as her own?

I was unexpectedly emotional listening to this audiobook. The first half was heartfelt and pulled at my heart strings. The second half shifted into more of a crime adventure. Both halves were engaging but I wasn’t as emotionally impacted during the second half.

The story takes place in Plymouth during the air raids in WW2, in which many civilians were killed and homes destroyed. Muriel is a nurse in Portsmouth, where she meets the love of her life. As they are making plans to marry, she receives the devastating news that almost her whole family has been killed by a bomb. Meanwhile, Maggie is grieving the loss of her newborn son seven months ago when her husband brings home a rescued baby. She immediately falls in love with the boy and wants to keep him, despite her husband’s plans to take the baby to a home and register him so his real family can find him. The two storylines eventually merge.

The WW2 setting was one I haven’t read about before and I was fascinated by the historical details. Some of the police dialogue towards the end was annoying and frustrating, given their patronizing demeanours. However, I’m sure that it was probably historically accurate. The audio performance was mediocre. I didn’t like some of the character voices, in particular Muriel’s. I think a narrator with a more confident sounding voice would’ve been a better fit.

Thank you to Netgalley and Dreamscape Media for an advanced audio copy in exchange for an honest review.
I really loved this book!! It had so many twists and turns. It kept me on the edge of my seat wondering what was going to happen next!! This was my first book by this Author, and it won’t be the last!! Quick read!! Highly recommended!! You won’t be disappointed!!
While this story takes place in England during World War II, it focuses less on the war and more on two families affected by the war. A baby is forgotten in it’s crib one night when the family hurried to a shelter during an air raid and is later rescued by a policeman who brings the baby home instead of to a safe house. I thought the characters and story were mostly believable and interesting. However, the narrator had a childish voice which was often annoying. I think I would have enjoyed the story better had I read it, rather than listened to it. Thank you to @netgalley for the free audio version of this book.
This was a very interesting "read" (audio book) about the agony and frustrations that ordinary families faced during the numerous bombings over Plymouth, England during 1941.  Does one go to the safety of designated bomb shelters or try and wait the airstrikes out at home.?  Either decision has lasting consequences for two women whose lives become unknowingly intertwined..  Two mothers who have suffered the lose of their babies and the search to make things right again.  I would definitely recommend this book as it was held your interest throughout.
Books that take place during wartime are not books I usually pick to read/listen to because I find them depressing and hard to listen to at times.. The Stolen Baby sounded too good to pass up and the reviews I read were all 4 and 5 stars so I requested this audiobook from Dreamscape and thankfully they approved.

Maggie and Colin Peterson suffer a devastating loss after the death of their newborn. They move to Plymouth to try to start over but Maggie is beside herself with grief. One night after an air raid, Colin finds a baby left abandoned in one of the houses. He brings the child home to Maggie hoping caring for the infant while looking for its parent’s will bring her out of her misery.

Meanwhile David Shawcross realizes almost his whole family was killed in the last air raid and he believes little baby Freddie was also with the rest of the family until pieces of the puzzle of that night become more clear and he realizes baby Freddie may well still be alive but where could he be?

This story gripped me from the first chapter and never let up.  The story was masterfully woven from start to finish and the character development was top notch.  I felt like I was transported in time to the 1940’s in the middle of a war.  You could feel the struggles from not only the ravages of war but also for the two families holding on to what links them both to a time before the war when anything seemed possible.  I cannot recommend this book enough.
If listening to this book, you will not be disappointed as the narrator does an amazing job of altering her voice for every single character making them easy to decipher while listening.  She was part of why I loved this story so much.
Thank you Net Galley for an audio copy of The Stolen Baby by Diney Costeloe.  She is an accomplished author with multiple books authored with high ratings.   This is a5 start book.  It is set in wartime with a storyline like I have never read.   A stolen baby is the center of this story and I lived it!!
What a riveting audiobook! The narrator was absolutely perfect for this unusual WWII story - men’s inflections as well as women’s. I could think of little else after I’d started to listen! It certainly reminded me that not all the devastation of war is physical.
The baby at the center of this story is first raised by his young grandmother (to protect her unwed daughter’s reputation), and then by a childless woman on the edge of depression. But is that the end of the story? Little Freddy’s family, the few who survived the German bombing that cast him into a stranger’s home, work feverishly to find him. Woven into their efforts are love stories and friendships and miracles that remind us to never give up. I was surprised by some of the kidnapper’s choices near the end of the book, but pleased with the ending. My first book by Diney Costeloe, but certainly not my last! Thanks to Dreamscape Media and NetGalley for the privilege of an early listen to this marvelous tale.
Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for the complimentary copy of this audiobook in exchange for my honest thoughts.

The strength of this story is what kept me listening. It was highly engaging, but the whiny characters and eyebrow raising police procedure situations were a bit much.  Done differently, this would have easily been a 5-star read because the story is that good.
I absolutely loved this book! It's set in England during WWII and is one of the best homefront stories I've read. My favorite character was Muriel Shawbrook, a nurse and the aunt of a baby missing after a night of bombing; she came across as very appealing and the ups and downs of her romantic relationship really had me rooting for her. The other two female characters--Vera, the mother of the missing baby, and Maggie, the woman who keeps the baby even when she realizes his family is looking for him, are somewhat less sympathetic, but given what they  each had endured, their flaws are understandable and they are not unlikable. The men in the book are, for the most part, also well drawn and compelling. I had the great pleasure of listening to the audiobook and the narrator, Ella Lynch, is absolutely enchanting, delivering both the lines of the young women and of the men, including one with a Scottish accent, with great charm and authenticity. I highly recommend this wonderful book and thank Dreamscape Media and NetGalley for the audio e-ARC.
Thank you to NetGalley and Dreamscape Media for the early listen.
Great narration! Held me captive until the very end.  There were a few characters that were very unlikeable but  they were essential to the story. Can't really say it was a mystery since the reader knows from the beginning who stole the baby but trying to figure out how the parents would be reunited with their child made for an interesting read!. Just wish the author would have said what happened to Maggie after the baby was returned to the parent(s).
Will definitely recommend.
this book had me hooked from the first chapter.  I don't usually listen to audiobooks but couldn't stop listening.  great true story, would highly recommend.
At the title and summary suggest, this is the story of a baby stolen during WWII in Plymouth, England.  The author does not waste any time getting to the part where the baby is stolen (it happens in Chapter 1) - which I enjoyed because the anticipation would have been terrible!  There are lots of other relationships and characters that are explored throughout the book.  The author does a great job setting the various scenes for this book and describing the characters.  The plot and all the other small stories that branch off from the stolen baby were interesting and realistic.  The book kept my attention and I looked forward to turning on the audiobook.  The narrators were perfect for this book.

Thank you for NetGalley for the advance copy of this audiobook in exchange for my honest review.
This was such a good book. From something so sad and tragic comes a great ending. The descriptions were so great i could picture everything that was going on. I could see the buildings and the destruction that was being described. The narrator was wonderful
I devoured this book! It’s a real page-turner with great pacing, well-drawn characters, and terrific writing. What more could you ask for? Oh yeah, it’s also based on a true story! The narration was outstanding.  5 stars.