Cover Image: Witches, Heretics & Warrior Women

Witches, Heretics & Warrior Women

I chose to review this book first because I love the cover.  But as I started reading,  it has a lot of encouraging information to find your own empowerment by the examples of women in the past.  Each chapter gives a brief history of past women demonstrating their beliefs as Witches,  Heretics,  and Warrior Women (the examples of each type), with exercises at the end of each chapter for your own reflection and practice.  While some of the information was repetitive,  I ultimately found this book to be interesting and helpful and a good reference.
I received an advance reader copy of this book. The views and opinions expressed in this review are completely my own and given voluntarily.
I really enjoyed this book. The mix of magic spell work & history is a really refreshing addition to the book. Each chapter has meditations, spells, and a historical woman to go with. I do wish the history parts were a little more fleshed out, but that’s cause I’m a huge history buff when it comes to my craft. I definitely recommend this book to anyone interested in magic & witchcraft.
I was expecting more from this book. I found the concept really interesting and full of potential, but the writing stopped me from loving this book as much as I planned to. I also think certain things here should not be promoted without heavy researching, like voodoo, which is a closed practice and not meant for everyone. The author also sounded aggressive and condescending at times, something I didn´t enjoy. Overall, I still think that it has good elements but I´m leaving this book disappointed.
This was a fun book, and it's exactly what you'd expect based on the title. The beginning discusses definitions of witches, heretics, and warrior women -- and why we care about them and look up to them. The bulk of the book contains chapters of each of these three archetypes. Each archetype has three chosen women who each get their own chapter, for a total of nine women from history and mythology. What I liked most about this book was the little history lessons about each woman and the rituals/exercises included for each one. I like the idea of drawing knowledge and strength from themes of each woman's life and connecting with them through ritual, meditation, and self reflection. Some of these women I was familiar with (like Joan of Arc), but I enjoyed learning about some historical women that I'd never heard of (Moving Robe Woman?!). I also appreciate that each section first began with a small exploration of the archetype and how these are reflected in our modern day lives. Overall, this was a well-put-together book, just a bit shorter than I was expecting. I would have loved to see many more women of each archetype included here.
I wanted to love this book. The cover and the title are beautiful - it had so much potential, but it fell really flat for me. From the beginning I didn’t get along with the author’s writing style. It was a little too cheesy and cringe.

I started to get bored as there was a tendency to repeat ideas and phrases. Then when she brought up the ‘witch wound’ I’d practically turned off. I skipped through to the bits I hoped would be better - the actual information about the Witches, Heretics and Warrior Women, but it still disappointed. I feel like a lot of the information was taken out of context or moulded in a way to fit the author’s narrative.

I had high hopes for the book, but it didn’t live up to expectations. I won’t be buying a physical copy for my collection.

[I read an E-ARC through NetGalley]
Just reading this book made me feel more empowered which is a good thing. It references some of the stronger women in history and what they had to go through while being persecuted for their beliefs. It's part history, encouragement and self help. This book encourages you to get to know yourself and gain inner strength for your life journey. It's an easy and enjoyable read.

Thanks to the author,publisher, and NetGalley for an advanced copy in exchange for an honest review.
An interesting introduction and connecting to nine different women. Other information given, good if wanting a person to connect an idea to.
What a great tribute to the wildness in all of us? I enjoyed reading about the history of women I was not familiar with. It was an inspiration to see the hows and whys of were it all started. A great book for beginners on this journey!
It’s very rare that I am completely indifferent to a book I read. This is one of those books. I liked that there are profiles of legendary women living the lives of rebels. That being said, the phrase ‘witches, heretics and warrior women’ is repeated far too many times. It annoyed me and made the book feel cheesy. There were some bits that were on point. One of them is the ‘Us vs. Them’ mentality that is bred into American culture.  I would say this would be a great library book, not one to go back to over and over again.
I have been exploring mysticism, spiritualism, tarot and rituals for about a year now and when I found this book up for review I felt it was destiny. My earliest blog backgrounds will find mostly historical based reads both fiction and non-fiction but it all started with Anne Boleyn. We would now recognize that name due the success of the tv show The Tudors, but I was intrigued by Anne Boleyn’s witchy rumors. Years later I am still fascinated by Anne Boleyn and her ability to turn heads before she lost hers.

The author Phoenix LeFae chose Anne as just one of the many warrior-witch women to highlight in her new book to draw inspiration from. Ohers are a New Orleans legend Marie Laveau, Joan of Arc, Circe, and Harriet Tubman to name a few.

The premise of the book is not to be a biographical account of these women but to highlight how these women were revolutionaries for their time and in their own way.

This work reads more like opinions and the author’s personal view on how to mold yourself into a rebel/witch/warrior using these women as examples. The author provides tools and helpful insight on how to be a proponent of positive change in the world around you while incorporating rituals, meditations and even charm bags. I do not feel like this is a reference book on witchcraft and magick but is instead geared towards inspirational self-care and how to shed the goal of fitting into the patriarchal society of the modern world. For that alone this book is worthwhile if that is the path you are embarking on. With the intriguing women she chose as a backdrop this is an “opportunity to learn more about each of their lives and connect with their power.” Very enjoyable read that is recommended for those interested in the feminist movement with a touch of magick sprinkled in.
I've been holding off on reviewing this one because I so desperately wanted to love it. Phoenix LeFae genuinely cares about her readers and takes great time and care to point out variations and beliefs. She wants readers to know why something happens, or why someone would choose to work with a particularly difficult deity (or one with a terrible reputation). The challenge comes from the fact that her symbols of witchcraft are all real women from history, and many of them fought while they were alive to avoid being called witches. For example, Anne Boylen was labeled a witch by her detractors in order to have her removed, so she could stop spreading discussions about the Protestant Reformation and the desire to turn England from Catholicism for good. Mary Magdalene was dragged through the mud not just by Pope Gregory the 1st and labeled a prostitute (official Catholic policy cleared her in 1969, by the way), but also was silenced by her contemporaries, including other followers of Christ.  While I'm here for the warrior women part, using traditionally Christian women who did not show actual signs of witchcraft just seems to show a lack of knowledge on LeFae's historical facts. She actually advises of that right up front, that she wasn't raised in the Christian tradition.

The writing is great. The thoughts and meditations are wonderful, but the choices in representation left me cold.
“My way of teaching and talking about magical can sometimes come across as cheeky. This is not to everyone’s taste, and I get that.”

2 stars

Suffice to say this book is not my taste.

At all. I was so looking forward to this book, waiting to dive into it for the weekend before Samhain. The cover is gorgeous, and with the title and summary I thought I would get this intellectual mix of history and feminism. It more reads like a middle grade “girl power” self help/ self congratulatory text filled with exclamation points. It insults the reader’s intelligence in a lot of places and uses words like “babe”, “honey”, and friends to reference the reader, and constantly ends sections with some sort of exclamation like, “Accept your personal badassery and rock your rebel heart out!”. It’s repetitive, borders on cultural appropriation in parts, and makes you feel like you’ve just sat through a four hour seminar with motivational Barbie as the guest speaker. There is a plethora of misdefined words, hilariously enough including “toxic positivity”. Even if you like the kind of pat your own back self help books, there are much better ones to read.

What a refreshing and empowering read! As a woman I felt this book to be so timely in terms of finding your true self through the practices of witchcraft while also immersing yourself in the history behind some pretty powerful women. Loved this and would recommend this to anyone interested in learning more about witchcraft and the history surrounding it.
Full disclosure- I received an ARC of this book in exchange for a fair and honest review.

I do wish the history parts were a little more fleshed out, but that’s cause I’m a huge history buff.

I definitely recommend this book to anyone interested in magic & witchcraft.
I was fortunate and thankful to be given an arc of this book being published by Llewelyn. LeFae writes about the importance of being a rebel. If everyone follows the status quo, nothing will every change or evolve. It is also important to "know thyself". With this in mind, the author leads us on an exploration of nine women from the past that were considered warriors, rebels, witches, and heretics in societies where these things were not valued but feared and condemned. All nine women went against societal expectations of them and followed their own path; these include Joan of Arc, Mary Magdalene, and Anne Boleyn.
Each section is followed by a contemplation exercise and ritual so that we may connect with the power that each of these women represent. Whether you are interested in making these connections or engaging in these contemplation exercises or not, the tales of each of these warrior women are fascinating and worth a read.
This is hands down one of the best books I have read in awhile!  I feel so much more empowered and have added some new things to my practice based on this book.  I loved the stories of women throughout history as well.  I highly recommend this book to every woman reading this review and in my own circle.
I loved all of the positive affirmations in this book. It really does a great job of empowering you and your ability.  I loved the women that were described throughout history. It is great to use as a reference!
I really enjoyed this book. It's the perfect addition to your metaphysical section of your reference section. Truly an great ready and is wonderful if you'd like to increase your knowledge about witchcraft. It also includes new tips to help you perfect your craft! I enjoyed alot of the backstories. A lovely, weekend read.
Great read if you want to broaden your knowledge about witchcraft and to learn new tips to perfect your craft! I will be trying some of these out! Very quick easy read!