Cover Image: Old Breed General

Old Breed General

I love reading memoir and biographies of WWII heroes especially Marines because my favorite part of WWII history is the Pacific theater which unfortunately didn't learn about in my high school or college history classes. I also enjoyed reading about the Marine that gave us the Corps Rifleman's Creed.  As the daughter of a Marine that Creed along with the Marine Corps Hymn has long since been committed to my memory.  What makes this book even more special is that General Rupertus's granddaughter wrote the book.
General Rupertus Old Breed General indeed.  Mrs. Rupertus Peacock has done Military Historians a service by re-introducing us to the pre-World War Two Marine Corp and how the lessons learned in far away uncomfortable places were adapted on a global scale.  The Marine Corp has always been the most adaptable of organizations while maintaining its ethos of Light, Austere and Lethal.
This is just a good WWII read! I read an early pre-edited copy. Editing issues aside, this book told the detailed story of Marines of the 1st Marine Division "the Old Breed" and their leader Maj.Gen. William Rupertus. The author's tells of the personal side of Rupertus' life, including the loss of his first wife and two children while stationed in China in the 1930's.They go on to give an in-depth look his leadership in the island hopping campaign from Guadalcanal to Peleliu, and some of the smaller, less reported battles of the war. The author's do an great job giving vivid details to events and Rupertus' decision making, One of the author's personal relationship to the General and her access to his personal writings and papers brought the story to life.
#rowman #netgalley
What a truly inspirational biography! This was truly one of America’s great military leaders in the Pacific in WW2. The hardships that he and his troops experienced were heartbreaking. This is a must read for the history enthusiast!

Thank you to #NetGalley for the ARC in exchange for my honest review.