Cover Image: This Here Flesh

This Here Flesh

Beautifully written, honest, and insightful. The first few chapters were my favorite, personally, with a dozen sections underlined/highlighted. There is language in this book, if that bothers you, so something to keep in mind. This is one to sit with after reading.
I don't think I fully understood what this book was attempting to do going into it, and I still don't understand coming out of it, but it wasn't written for me. It has very Christian themes and somewhat assumes that the reader is a Christian as well. Strong writing, though.
Thanks to Convergent Books and Netgalley fo the opportunity to read and review this title prior to publication.

I don't remember how I heard about this book, and I was a little unsure about it as I began, since this is a debut. Wow. I plan to purchase this for my own shelves and maybe a few extra copies to give away. This book also landed in one of my top books of 2021! The author's writing was exquisite, and the organization of chapters and ideas was perfect. I found myself waking in the middle of the night to read this and then not being able to sleep because she made me think and feel. This was a perfect meditative book to close out 2021, and I look forward to dipping back in and out in the coming years. Grateful for the way she weaves her narrative and meditation on topics such as fear, lament, joy, and memory, among others. Highly, highly recommend!
This was insightful, intimate, and beautifully written. Cole Arthur Riley speaks to the part of me that remembers what faith should feel like.