Cover Image: A History of Vampires: A New Queen

A History of Vampires: A New Queen

If you need a good romance with a large helping of mystery, archeology, and of course vampires, this is the perfect book! It was honestly like reading The Mummy/ Indiana Jones but with vampires.

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for this ARC which I received in return for an honest review.

I am always on the hunt for new paranormal books. My main book love is definitely vampires, so picking up A History of Vampires was a no-brainer for me. Sadly, this was just a miss for me.

Angelina is an archaeologist that travels the world discovering secrets to the past. When she happens to see a familiar mystery man that she has seen throughout her travels, she can't help but introduce herself. She is quickly entrenched in a world she never knew existed and is soon involved in a centuries-old prophecy.

So, I can't even really pinpoint one major thing that was a miss for me. I feel like the author maybe wanted to do too many things with this one book. There's the "vampires exist" aspect, that was not executed in the best way. I mean, Angelina finds this dude that she's seen all over the world in the background of her daily life and she approaches him, thinking maybe he is in a similar field of work. And then he admits he's been stalking her. And she's like, well ok, let's go on a long walk together down a deserted street. Then she agrees to go to her stalker's house for dinner. Alone. Then he tells her vampires exist and I'm the king of them. And she's like ok, it's late, I'll sleep over in the guest room.

Or maybe the famous people throughout history are vampires, including Mozart and Edgar Allen Poe, oh and Marilyn Monroe and Anne Frank. I mean. Ok. Ok. Cool, It's your fever dream, we're just living in it.

But then there's the "we're a secret organization that killed Hitler" aspect. Because, well, ok, it's getting a lot weird. Then the society. And then the crying and the total acceptance of all the things without asking a crap-ton of questions (because a crap-ton is the unit of measure for all the questions I had!), and then the small gnome/fae people with the prophecy. Plus it's a fade to black. I mean, I was hoping some good smexy times would make up for the abundance of weird. But, no. There wasn't even any of that.

I enjoyed the overall idea behind the story and the potential for this new vampire series but sadly, I just couldn't connect.

*ARC provided by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.*
I was rather disappointed with this.  I had such high hopes.  The story was rather boring and I barely got through it.
A History of Vampires is a very different tale on the vampire and how they lead their lives. After reading this book, I am still not sure what the plot was or what the point of the story was. I did not like the Hitler plot and how Anne Frank was involved in the story. I think a different person could have been chosen and the plot would have been the same. That storyline made me uncomfortable with the constant mention throughout the book. There were some chapters that were not necessary and many parts that I skipped over because I did not understand what they had to do with the story. There was no character development whatsoever. I still do not understand how Angelina fell in love with Jude, she seemed to only like him for his deeds which is not love. I can see how the author wanted to set up the end of the book for another, but I did not find that plot line interesting.
I don't know what this book was, but I was absolutely not at all into it. Couldn't finish it, and... I don't even know.
This books was DNF for me.   Like other reviewers, I could not get interested at all.  Book does not match description!
Thank you to NetGalley and the Publisher for providing me with an e-ARC of this book in return for my unbiased review.

I wanted to love this book - I was in the mood for Vampires and some romance. But unfortunately this was not what I was expecting and I DNF'ed at about 30% This book is pitched as an adult vampire romance - but it didn't;t seem "adult" to me, more like a YA level.

There is nothing wrong with YA books - I love them myself - but I did not go into reading this with a YA mindset. In my opinion, I found the plot hard to follow and the pace to be too slow. World building can take time and can be slow, but I got to points where I wanted to stop before officially stopping.

Overall, this was not for me.
I hate to do it...but I dnfed this book. I couldn't get through it. The writing style was repetitive and full of unnecessary details. For example, she describes a scarf in detail for a character unrelated to the plot. Those aren't details I'm interested it. This was not for me.

When 35 year old archeologist Angelina meets a handsome vampire King named Jude, she is drawn into the world of vampire society. Will their romance stand the test of time? Does Angelina have what it will take to face the dangers in this new world if she becomes his Queen?

This book is pitched as an adult vampire romance. I couldn't disagree more with that branding. There is absolutely no spice in this at all. I understand that adult romances don't need to have spice, but aside from kissing there is absolutely no other romance to be found in this book. The romance to me was very PG, I think this may have been better characterized as YA. The plot was very hard for me to follow as it just kind of takes you around as Jude shows Angelina his world. The pacing was way too slow for my liking and the plot was basically non-existent for me. It started to get ok towards the very end but it was brutal trying to get there. I loved that the heroine was an educated and intelligent woman but this also confused me because when she first meets Jude, all her common sense basically goes out the window. Jude basically admits to stalking her and she just doesn't even bat an eye. Definitely not a good message to be putting out there, but I understand that often when it comes to vampire romances this is the case. I guess I was also expecting a more dark vampire story than I got in this book. There is no blood drinking, sex or other typical vampire behaviors in this book. I would say this is a very purist take on vampires, so if that sounds like something you'd enjoy, I'd say definitely give it a shot as it is a very unique take on vampire lore. This book also had the insta love trope which I am not a fan of at all. To top it off, I just didn't enjoy the romance aspect at all. All of their interactions felt awkward and forced instead of full of emotion and tension. I did really enjoy seeing some of history's famous historical figures reimagined as vampires!

Overall, this one just wasn't for me and I feel it should have been placed in a different category. I think this would be good for younger readers who are interested in vampires, but whose parents don't want them reading about all the violence that usually comes along with those types of books.
I wasn't a fan of the romance - instalove is really not my thing. I need more angst. I didn't finish around the 20% mark, but I can see how it would appeal to romance lovers who also love vampires.
A History of Vampires: A New Queen - Amanda Lewis ⁣
@theamandalewis⁣
@netgalley⁣
At 3% the author has just painted a mental visual of a very sexy man! ⁣
Our MC is Angelina, archaeologist.  I love her enthusiasm and love for people.⁣
⁣
Jude - coming across as a sexy pussy boy right now - he cries A LOT in a new relationship, does he have a majorly tortured soul!? ⁣
⁣
The historical figures make me laugh so much!  I love the way they have been given a new life and are now in the present.. very good in my humble opinion. ⁣
⁣
I have to admit I keep waiting for a Keith Richards reference and how he is the ‘vampire’ who has been turned, eaten loads of crap that’s not good for him and hasn’t faked his death yet!⁣
⁣
This was a good read, not spicy but engaging nonetheless.⁣
⁣
It was immediate between our two MCs and I wasn’t sure I was going to like it, turns out I really did.⁣
An enjoyable read.⁣
4 stars ⭐
The cover drew me to this book, and I'm so glad I managed to read this, the story hooked me from the first 2 pages, its very creative, clever and gripping, I love a book that grips me straight away and this did the story progressed brilliantly, you will not be disappointed with this book and its definitely a must read.
Thank you NetGalley and publisher for this eArc.

I DNFed this, it reads like fanfiction, and not a good kind.
This was a struggle for me to read - I couldn't connect with the characters, the writing style felt off, and the romance itself was so cliche and unfulfilling.  I normally enjoy insta-love when written well, but in this case, I couldn't buy into it.  I didn't see why they were attracted to each other.  Overall, a lackluster read with a lot of potential left unfulfilled.
I was excited to conquer a vampire read for spooky season, but I struggled with this one. Not even sure if you could consider this a story of vampires. I found the writing to be a bit annoying and I did not connect with the MC. However, I did think it was cleaver how historical figures were weaved through the story - so that was a fun addition.
I dnf this book, I found it dull and repetitive and very cliché.
Just not my cup of tea at all, somebody else might love it,.
No real plot, insta-love in this story just felt off, and the vampires were not very...vampiric. So this is a pass for me.

Thank you NetGalley and the publisher for the ARC in exchange for my honest review. All opinions are my own.
Oh book how I wanted to love you. But...you are not for me. I struggled to finish this; very little actual paranormal kind of stuff and alot of "wait, what now" happening. I admit anything with insta-love is very hard for me to get through; it automatically shuts my brain off to engage bc I find it lazy plotting. Which can be unfair bc lots of people are totally fine with that but if you expect rich backstory and developed character and plot, this isn't the book for you.
What if vampires exist..
And they would use their power to prevent the death of people of historical value.
I started to read a history of vampires with great expectations because you know.. vampires. Throughout the book I could not decide what to think of it. On the one hand there a really interesting viewing points regarding vampires and alternate history. On the other hand I had to deal with sticky and somewhat cheesy scènes. Yes if you are a sucker for romance,  candlelight and pouting lips you should not hesitate to pick this up at your bookstore. For me however its too much , my brain will shut down at some point. Still there was this compelling storyline that really kept me glued on the pages. A side from the pouting it was not hard to finish this book, the story is entertaining enough and I really enjoyed the historical parts.
I really enjoyed this book. It was well paced and the characters were fully formed. I would enjoy reading other work by this author in the future.