Cover Image: To Be Known

To Be Known

Wow! I just finished To Be Known and feel like I need a day to process it all. There were so many compelling features in this novel, particularly the format of the book and how Justin Fields ties the past and present together in such a unique way. The character development was also interesting and intriguing, particularly the relationships of Andrew Chapman and his family. Overall, this novel was full of suspense, mystery, and it definitely creeped me out.
Prepare for some twists as this book leads you carefully down a path before derailing you completely!  This is a thriller in the truest sense of the word - you will not want to put it down - but the author also takes the time to create meaningful characters and relationships which add so much depth to the experience,
YOUR DEMONS KNOW YOU WON'T TELL ANYONE ABOUT THEM

Edward Doyle has spent his life building his career. Now, recently laid off and in search of work and direction, he returns from the chaotic, impersonal city to his hometown, a small, tight-knit village in the English countryside, where he is welcomed by the current owners of his childhood cottage, a young couple, Peter and Emily Sutton, and their three-year-old daughter, Lizbeth.

Community. Tradition. Family. Life is perfect here…or is it?

What begins as a pleasant visit soon takes a sinister turn, as Edward realizes that the cottage harbors a dark past. Not only that, but the Suttons—and perhaps even himself—also have secrets buried in their own closets. Some they will battle in their minds. Some they may confront in the flesh…but at what cost?

I took opportunity to read this book thanks to Netgalley. It's a slow burner to start with but an enjoyable read with moments of suspense! Would definitely read other books from this author.
This was a slow burn creeper of a book! The horror and suspense builds gradually and, before you know it, you're biting your nails and jumping at every little sound. But it's ok because that's just the cat... right?
The writing was very solid and I definitely think this story has so much potential. However, I could not connect with these characters and wasn’t the biggest fan of the overall plot
YOUR DEMONS KNOW YOU WON'T TELL ANYONE ABOUT THEM
Edward Doyle, recently laid off and in search of work and direction, returns from the city to his hometown, a tight-knit village in the English countryside, where he is welcomed by the Suttons, the current owners of his childhood cottage. Community. Tradition. Family. Life is perfect here…or is it?
The more Edward discovers, the more his assumptions are challenged. Secrets cannot stay hidden forever. As the story builds toward its unforgettable, shocking climax, discover which ones are dying to be known…

This is a brilliant read.
Wonderful well written plot and story line that had me engaged from the start.
Love the well fleshed out characters and found them believable.
Great suspense and found myself second guessing every thought I had continuously.
Can't wait to read what the author brings out next.
Recommend reading.

I was provided an ARC from NetGalley and the publisher. This is my own honest voluntary review.
Engrossing and entertaining!

To Be Known shows us Edward Doyle who recently was aid off and in search of work and direction. He returns from the city to his hometown, a tight-knit village in the English countryside, where he is welcomed by the Suttons, the current owners of his childhood cottage. Community. Tradition. Family. Life is perfect here…or is it?

Great characters and edge of your seat reading!
Thank you Netgalley and Author Justil Field for this ARC.

I feel like I got a different book than everyone else. All I see are four- and five-star reviews, but I struggled to give this three stars rather than two.

I had a hard time getting used to the writing, the formatting mistakes in the proof copy, and the slow build--nothing really happens until nearly halfway through. Once things do finally get going though the story is filled with suspense. Very spooky suspense.

Not a bad book but be prepared for a slow build.
Wow, this was a very surprising, and pleasant read. I didn't really know much going into this book. I dislike books that are written in the third person, so it took me a bit longer to get through solely for that reason, and I felt like that in conjunction with the multiple different storylines that were going on, made it a bit overwhelming. I felt like there was always something happening, and having to keep track of everything-as to not miss any vital information made it a bit difficult. Especially towards the end, there were a lot of switches towards the last few chapters, but the finale was phenomenal. All of a sudden the storylines finally come together and everything just starts clicking. It was a wonderful sensation.  I had no idea what to expect and I loved that. As the story progressed, parts of it were pretty obvious, but the true story behind everything was mind-blowing, and it gave me chills as I was reading it. Once you get to around the 50% mark, everything starts to pick up, and it was a real page turned. I didn't like the constant switches towards the last few chapters. it felt like it would go from one timeline to another that it just got a bit confusing, and it didn't flow as smoothly anymore

Thank you for NetGalley and the publisher for giving me an EARC. While I did receive an ARC the thoughts in this review are completely my own.
This book was so good, i was completely gripped from start to finish and I couldn't put it down. The story was so good and the atmosphere of the book was so tense and full of suspense. I really enjoyed it.
When Edward is laid off from his high profile tech job in New York he decides to start over by returning to his roots in England, beginning with Upper Dyrnan, his childhood village.  Like most adults visiting the childhood village Edwards goes by the cottage on Holly Lane where he grew up.  As always, the little cottage is modest and charming, a lovely little place that shelters the perfect little family.  Edward soon realizes that the lady of the house was a schoolmate of his, he is invited to dinner and then to stay for awhile and a friendship forms between Edward and the family; Emily, Peter and 4 year old Lizbeth.  Only Lizbeth realizes that there is a fourth resident in the cottage.  Walter.  Walter is her friend, he lives in her closet and teaches nursery rhymes to her.
Like most "perfect families" we soon discover that there are cracks in the facade.  Walter knew of the cracks long ago and he's here to protect Lizbeth.  For some odd reason it seems that the families that have lived in this cottage have had deeper cracks than most.   It's almost as is a seismic fault runs through the Holly Lane Cottage and tragedy, illness, alcholism, violence, PTSD, nightmares, dispair, anger all put stress on this fault to lead to ainevitable eruptions that are experienced by every family that lives there.   Walter knows all of this because Walter is the common thread.
The writing and storytelling is excellent.  The characters are well rounded and fully developed.  It takes quite awhile to get to the suspense, at least 50% of the book I'd say before you get there.  The last quarter of the book is very edge of your seat reading.   To Be Known is well written thriller.  Thank you #Netgalley for allowing me to read and review #ToBeKnown.
To Be Known by Justin Field

A good thriller . I enjoyed the plot and at times it took me to unexpected places. The character Edward was very well crafted and I enjoyed getting to know him . A great first novel.
Thank you Net galley and BooksGoSocial for the eARC.
This was a horror book unlike others I've read, which was enjoyable.  It starts off as a rather idyllic trip back to England for Edward Doyle ... he's lost his job in NYC and is actually looking forward to finally get away from that super busy city and visiting his boyhood home in the country before going to London to start fresh.  He bumps into his good childhood friend (he even had a crush on her) and is invited to stay a while with her husband and daughter, as it was actually the cottage he grew up in.
The dread doesn't really creep up until most the first third of the book and then it builds slowly but surely.  Good stuff!
The house is haunted by the past of the families who lived there and the aftereffects of war.  Those are awful, not just for the men who fought, but for the families who they came home too.  PTSD, hallucinations, unimaginable despair and thoughts of murder and suicide have permeated the walls of the cottage through the years, reverberating into the present.  It's a good book and I thoroughly recommend it!