Cover Image: The Struggle Bus

The Struggle Bus

All of my kids are very familiar with the struggle bus and we talk about! I know they would love it! It is beautifully written for kids to relate and understand. It is a great conversation started as well as a reference when they find themself in a challenging situation. That is all an educator can ask for. This book is not revolutionary in nature but attacks the challenge of asking for helping and showing we all struggle in a profound way.
This is a cute story about how we all go through hard times and how to get support when it happens. I read to my daughter a lot and I would definitely go back to this one. I liked how the end gave suggestions for what to do when you’re feeling overwhelmed.
I like the rhymes in this book, and I think it would be great for SEL (Social Emotional Learning) lessons, or even discussions about growth mindset. I can see this book being used in various contexts within a school, particularly to demonstrate to kids the importance of not giving up. I also think the reflection questions and suggestions for how to cope if “your bus breaks breaks down”.
Love the simple art style, plenty for a child to look at and find things. Very cute rhyming story about how everyone has bad days but you can get through it and tomorrow is a new
This was a fun book, filled with rhyming text, and cute illustrations. This book aims to help kids learn that it is okay to struggle, it is okay to feel overwhelmed, and it is okay to ask for help.
This beautifully lyrical read is the perfect perk-me-up for anyone who is going through a hard time, regardless of age. A wonderful reminder to keep going even when the going gets tough.
The Struggle Bus is a story of a kid and a bus that symbolizes moving through hard times and coming out the other side. I adore the message of this book. I think it explains to children very well how emotions can bring us down and that we can look to other for help. I teach adults emotion regulation skills and The Struggle Bus communicates the same messages I teach them. I also enjoyed the illustrations and rhyming of the book. A very well done book and one I think all parents and teachers of young child should have in their library.
The Struggle Bus is a story for young children to help explain situations where one may struggle and how to move  past feelings of frustration. The story begins with a young person who is experiencing something hard and the struggle bus arrives. This is a bus that is adorable and has anthropomorphic features which young children should enjoy. The story is speaking directly to the reader and is written in second person point of view. The message is simple and direct: with practice, perseverance, and help from friends, you can do hard things.
This is wonderful story for all children, especially for children who are having a difficult time learning a new task/ activity. As a teacher and a mother, I have often heard “it’s too hard” while children are learning a new skill. I have often responded with keep going because you can do hard things. This would also be excellent for students with disabilities to encourage them to persevere. It would also be perfect for students who are gifted because struggle can be particularly challenging for a student who typically excels in all tasks. I will be adding this to my classroom library.
This was such a fun read! I love books that encourage kids to dig into their emotions. The Struggle Bus does a great job showing the path to emotional resilience without being too heavy. The rhythm of the book is fantastic, great for read-a-louds and spaced out well on the pages to make for easy reading.
I loved this book, and will definitely be using it in my classroom. The illustrations are beautiful, inclusive and impactful, the story is told in an easy to read and understand rhymes. I am always in awe of talented authors who also illustrate their own books, and this shows in The Struggle Bus - Julie Koons message is important, relevant, and impactuful.

Disclaimer: In exchange for an honest review, I am thankful to Kind World Publishing, and NetGalley for providing me with a copy of The Struggle Bus.
This is super cute, rhyming and all! I really appreciate how it talks about feeling your feelings. It's important to acknowledge what you're going through so you can keep going. I also loved the part where they mentioned it's okay to get support. Overall, a very cute book, good for SEL.

Thank you to NetGalley and Kind World Publishing for providing me with a temporary digital advanced copy in exchange for an honest review.
The Struggle Bus
by Julie Koon
“Grumble, rumble, bump, and roar - the Struggle Bus is at your door”

This is a delightful and impactful book that validates children’s feelings and helps them understand and deal with them in constructive ways while reassuring them that struggle is part of life and persistence will pay off, but perhaps not right away.

The child who is struggling and “..losing hope. You’ll never get it. No way. Nope.” climbs aboard the bus, and the story follows both the interior experience of the child and the journey of the Struggle Bus. The evocative illustrations reflect the rhyming text and evolution of the story, through the struggles (“all of us have been there too”) of the child to persevere and the bus traveling through storms, breaking down, getting support, and moving on.

The “Keep rolling on” and “When your bus breaks down”  sections at the end relate to the child’s experience, including strategies for dealing with difficult feelings and situations. The explanation of perseverance is helpful as is the idea that every time you try, you are building stronger “roads” in your brain.

Highly recommended, especially for parents and teachers of sensitive children who are easily discouraged, and those with special needs.

I received an ARC from NetGalley in exchange for this honest review
meep! meep! Here comes the struggle bus! Haven't we all taken a ride on the struggle bus? I can totally relate. I am huge on seeing the bright side of things in all situations. I enjoyed this beautiful tale of how you have to hang in there and get past all of the strife and push forward to see the light at the end of the tunnel. In life, you will board the Struggle Bus MANY TIMES but you have to ride it to the success station!
Such a lovely picture book!

It is about those times when we all struggle and feel lost, not knowing what to do or where to go; about the confusion, the loneliness, the anger, the sadness and the worries.
It is about letting others who’ve been there help us, about learning from our mistakes because that is how we grow and become better!

The art (the bus in particular) was so nice and colorful, it featured diverse children (yay, always a very much appreciated bonus!) and I liked the quick “scientific” part at the end, with the meanint of persevarance and the explanation of how and why we learn through mistakes.
I think any kid would learn from this and enjoy how pretty it is!
I cannot love this book enough! I am a speech & language pathologist who works with young students with autism, social deficits, and speech & language delays and this is a PERFECT story to read to teach about feeling your feelings, being sad and upset, breaking down, seeking others advice and solace in the fact that others have also had these types of experiences, and finally, conquering the hard things in life. I absolutely ADORE this book and will be purchasing it as soon as it publishes in March 2022.

I also love the end pages where the author explains perseverance and how the brain and neurons work when you practice something. There is also ideas listed on how to help you feel better when you are upset and some questions for children about making mistakes and overcoming them. Anyone in education should add this book to their wish list!

Thank you to NetGalley, Kind World Publishing, and the author and illustrator for the opportunity to read and review this book before it's publication date! This in no way affected my review and my opinions are my own. #NetGalley #TheStruggleBus
This book was cute and simple. I think this book is perfect for a younger group of children who have a tough time regulating their emotions. I liked the rhyming in this book and the overall message. I also enjoyed the illustrations and thought they reflected the story and intention well. One of my favourite parts of the book is at the end when the author provides the reader some strategies to get off the struggle bus. Now more than ever, this book will help students and kids with their mental health as life is full of being on and off the struggle bus.
Wonderful! The Struggle Bus is the type of thing classics are made of. This nicely illustrated book is written in light rhymes - the meter is slightly off, but intentionally so in a way that maintains the flow of the book.

The book teaches children to persevere through struggles (and it even explains what 'persevere' means).

After the story is complete, the book offers kids some ideas on how to relax and cope with stress. Highly recommended. It may not be everyone's favorite read, but everyone should read it at least once.

Thank you to Kind World Publishing and NetGalley for an advanced copy of this book.
This book would be good for young readers to understand that everone struggles from time to time but they need to keep trying and not give up. Good tips throughout the story and at the end.
My son and I both adored The Struggle Bus!!

The moral of this story is pertinent no matter what stage of life you find yourself in - no matter the things you face, keep going!

This past week alone, I’ve said I was on the struggle bus a minimum of three times so this was a perfectly timed read. This book is not only chock full of delightful rhymes but it’s also beautifully illustrated.

This is sure to be a favorite for the whole family.

Thank you to NetGalley and Kind World Publishing for the opportunity to read this gem early. All opinions are mine alone.
This was cute and relatable storyline.  While the beginning is sad and gloomy it reminds you to just keep going.  After the story is over it provided ways to cope with disappointment and failure.
***** I received an ARC from NetGalley, the publisher and the author, in turn for my honest review