Cover Image: I'll Be There (But I'll Be Wearing Sweatpants)

I'll Be There (But I'll Be Wearing Sweatpants)

"Build the table you have always wanted to be invited to."

This was the book I needed right now.  I am in my mid forties and recently moved across the country with my husband to a town where I do not know anyone.  Previously I had lived and worked in the same town with lots of friends of twenty plus years and now I find myself in a very new place in life.  I really appreciated the down to earth transparency of the two authors who have been in similar situations that I find myself now.  The book is complete with hilarious stories and great advice.  As women we often strive for perfection and are afraid to fail, but this book was a great reminder to be real and put yourself out there and although it might take a while...you will find your people.

Thank you to the publisher and Netgalley for a copy of this book.  All opinions expressed are entirely my own.
Thank you Netgalley for a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Overall good book, didn't love the christian undertones and prayers, also the book took me a loooong time to finish i just couldn't really get into it but the message is kind and reassuring so i feel very mixed.
Sweet book written by some sweet girls. What a great book to reflect on friendships and get ready for future friendships.
Thanks to Netgalley for advance reader copy in exchange for an honest review. This was just an okay read for me. I'm not sure what I was expecting, maybe more helpful tips to try to meet new people and make new friends, but there were only a few ideas on that listed in the book. It felt like more of a series of blog posts. There was some helpful and good advice but not much new that I haven't already read online.
The way this was formatted made it very hard to read for me. I was reading it on my phone and was unsettled by all of the font changes and the large paragraphs of text. It made their delightful voices and off-beat storytelling truly hard to enjoy.
Every girl and every woman need to read this book on friendship. It’s open and honest and real. They let you know you aren’t alone in how you’re feeling. They tell you how to be a good friend. I underlined a bunch so I could refer back to it and share with my teenage daughter. Great read. I highly recommend!!
Thanks to NetGalley & Nelson Books for a digital advance reader's copy. All comments and opinions are my own.

I didn’t like this book as much as I thought I would. The information on how to be a good friend was helpful, but the writing style felt forced. It seemed like the authors (who are bloggers and close friends who alternated writing the chapters) were trying too hard to be witty and humorous. I didn’t know them before reading this book, and they sounded so similar I couldn’t tell which one was writing which chapter. That’s not necessarily a bad thing, and maybe proved that at least they were “on the same page.” Oops, that was a bad pun!

So the premise of the book is how to find “unfiltered, real-life friendships in this crazy, chaotic world.” Although much of the advice was helpful, most of it was not new to me, and it was written as if it was a standup comedy routine, to be delivered in between laughs from the readers. Some readers might enjoy the light tone, but I found it tiresome. One thing I learned from the book was to appreciate the good friends I have. I realized I am fortunate to have close friends like the ones described, and I now have some helpful suggestions of how to continue to maintain these friendships.

Some of the topics covered included “How to Know When Your Friend is Ghosting You,” “When You Wonder Why No One Likes You,” “When You Really Need A Friend,” and “Ten Qualities in A Really Good Friend.” Reading the book reminded me of past friendships, and especially one friend that has ghosted me. I hadn’t realized that was a good way to describe where we are now, after 25 years.

I’m guessing these women are Christians since they refer to Jesus and church every so often, and Thomas Nelson is a Christian publisher. But I would have preferred more discussion about their authentic faith. I was amused that other reviewers didn’t like the faith references. You can’t please everyone. And I really think there are people who will read this book and get more out of it than I did.
I really enjoyed this book by Amy and Jess! If you enjoyed Lysa Terkeurst’s Uninvited and/or Jennie Allen’s Find Your People, you’ll love this encouraging and relatable book on friendship!

“Friendship shouldn’t feel like squeezing into your skinny jeans.”

I received a complimentary copy of this book. Opinions in this review are my own.
Such a good book, I think people are gonna really love this one. Keep me wanting more the whole way through. Thank you!
This is a great book on friendships and connections.
It was very  relatable and had some parts that made you and laugh and others you cringed, because you had the same experience in friendships in the messy world.
It was wonderful to read and was sweet.
Thank you to NetGalley for providing me with this book for an honest review.
“We cannot belong if we don’t share our truths. We cannot belong if we don’t let the ones who have earned it see our closets full of crap,” this sums up the book perfectly along with chapters with titles like “When you can’t Amazon Prime your Friendships” and “When Fake Makes you Want to Hurl”. It’s honest and blunt and full of advice that is down to earth and not full of fluffiness, especially considering the line “let’s normalise the fact the we’re a bunch of imperfect people learning and just doing our best” because we are imperfect and that’s the great thing about this book, there’s no expectation that you’ll be perfect after reading it.
This was an enjoyable book about finding and forging friendships as an adult. The authors offer wisdom and useful advice for navigating female friendships as we age. There tone and approach was very inviting and this would make a great book club selection
This is a book that can speak directly to your soul. This book addresses the topic of loneliness when it comes to friendships. Talk about a book that comes in time that you need to hear for yourself. The part of you locked away so no one can see the pain of the loneliness you feel. Seeing those friends that are getting together that you weren’t invited to. Feeling like no one likes you for you. It is all in here in this book. Raw and real.

The only thing I have against this. And that is more of a personal problem and will not affect the rating of this book. It seems like the people you find and make friends, are women who have kids. Now this may be my general perception, but I feel there is a friendship gap between women with or without kids. Not saying that you can’t make friends with women who have kids, but I tend to see a trend of that, and it is discouraging. Even in the book you see the author start to make friends but it is in the stage of life where she has kids and they find a commonality over that. I don’t want to have kids because I want friendship but it is sad that is what I see and struggle with it.

Even though that is my perception, I do feel that this book has so much information that can be applied to many different stages of life. Amy and Jess give you tips on how to let your guard down and be vulnerable, learn to stop being a people pleaser and love yourself, show how to be the one to find the women that are lonely, and learn to deal and forgive issues that arise out of conflict in friendship. With the canceled culture that we live in, it is something that I as a person could learn.

Also, the book touches on a topic that can be a hard one too. Learning to let go of the friendships that are no more. To stop grieving over the loss of a friendship that slowly fell away or was toxic. That it is not you, but part of the ever changing part of life.

There is so much packed in this book that I really cannot write a whole review on this book. This book is only 224 pages but it carries enough wisdom as a 800 page book.  I encourage anyone who has this deep heart of loneliness to pick up and just meditate on it. Reread the parts that stick out to you the most and apply it. Just don’t read it, apply it and see if any of it changes in your situation. But also be encouraged if the changes don't happen right away.

If anything, even through my own struggle, I want to understand that women I come across also have problems just like me. They have flaws like me. They feel loneliness like me. They are beautiful inside and out like me. That is a mindset I can work on and take with me. Learn to love myself and love the women that come across my path.
This book is a great reminder of how true friendships require vulnerability. Not always an easy task but it is worth the effort put in.
This book is getting a ton of mentions online, and they are absolutely worth the hype.

I thought that I'll Be There (But Ill Be Wearing Sweatpants) is exactly the book that a lot of moms need in their life. It was real, it was honest, and it was 100% on point. I couldn't put it down.

Oftentimes, I find self-help books to be watered-down and overly explained. However, this book was written beautifully, and I would highly recommend it for its content and its overall writing quality.
When I read the description, I was like “WOW that seems like a book I should read, as I do love my sweatpants and friends that accept me in sweatpants!”  When I started reading it, I said “Ugh this is not what I thought, I don’t need this.”  When I was in the middle of the book I was like “OMG, this is a book that every woman should read!”  However, the last several chapters were repetitive and dry.

For my friends on Goodreads, you may think I have it all together, but I do not!  I NEED CLOSE FRIENDS TOO!  And for those same friends that feel the same way, read this book.  Everyone needs close friends and in this world today, we do NOT spend the time to create those friendships.  The middle of this book sends that message home!  The concept that hit me the hardest and made me say “YES, that just happened last week” is the people that post on social media that they got together without you!  It has happened so often and made me think, why do they not like me?  Maybe because I am over the top.  Maybe I am too much.  The point the book makes, stop beating yourself up, you are fine just as you are, and you should cultivate those friendships that appreciate you for you!

You can get that message by skimming the middle chapters, the final chapters did not add anything in my opinion.   Do not expect the best writing style, as the authors are bloggers and bloggers are encouraged to use a different level of writing than authors, so just keep that in mind while you are reading.
I was lucky to receive an advance copy of this book from the publisher and NetGalley in exchange for my honest review and opinion.  I'm a huge fan of the authors and follow them on social media.  I was very excited to read this and it did not disappoint.  I found this to be a very easy read, very relatable, and funny!  The authors are real and at times you find yourself in their stories - it's that real!
The book for all girls young and old!  Amy and Jess have a way of getting you to think about past and future friendships and what you hope to be as a friend.  Truly felt like I was sitting with them both while reading.  Have told every girlfriend about this book and will be buying for gifts.  The perfect quick read that will leave a lasting impression on all friendships. Highly recommend!
What a wonderfully refreshing book about women and friendships. The authors reveal real stories about friendship, sisterhood and everyday life that most women will relate to.
I was really looking forward to reading this book based on the title and the synopsis. However, the first several chapters almost did me in. There was way too much information on the negative aspects of why we do not have a lot of close friendships. For me, I felt sorry for the authors because my experience is right the opposite. However, I imagine there are many women out there who will find the information shared to be very useful. There are enough 4 and 5 star reviews that I would encourage you to read the book and make your own judgment.

Thank you to NetGalley and Thomas Nelson for my advanced review copy. All opinions and thoughts are my own.