Cover Image: The Prisoner of Paradise

The Prisoner of Paradise

The Prisoner of Paradise isn't a genre I normally pick up, but I'm glad I did because I truly enjoyed it. Another reviewer chose to use the word "grandeur" for the book, and I totally agree. Samborn brings us an intriguing tale told in two timelines that move between 16th century Venice and the present day. Samborn's attention to detail make the whole setting come alive, and his characters, their desires, their conflicts, their choices, kept me turning the pages. Fast-paced and enthralling, Samborn has written a winner!
This dual-time novel by Ron Samborn, moves effortlessly between present-day and sixteenth century Venice. Offering equal doses of art history, romance, spine-tingling action, and chilling supernatural occurrences, The Prisoner of Paradise has something for everyone. This first in a series will leave readers eager for Book Two.
Did not finish. Interesting premise that made me want to read it, however I found it poorly written and the characters were not compelling. Life's too short to read bad books.
Set partly today and partly in  late 16th century  Venice this is an intriguing story. Tintoretto's 'Paradiso' is conceived as holding souls in torture sent to the canvas by a group of religious fanatics of his time. The present-day couple, Nick and Julia O'Connor, have come to Venice for a holiday and to try to develop a career in photography for her.  Nick hears a voice from the canvas, collapses but then continues having flash backs to the lost love of his life, calling him from the paint. The description on NetGalley is true to the book. The descriptions of life both now and in the past make one feel as if one was in Venice. I felt more sympathy with the 16th century characters than with Nick and Sarah though. She seems more interested in her career, as well as flirting with Italian men, than her husband although does keep trying to get him to see a doctor, again. Nick is suffering a lot and I had more sympathy with him. The story did get rather convoluted at times but the author used language well to help the reader, giving different accents/social aspects between the two time periods and this worked neatly. Although most ends were tied up there is sufficient to leave room for another book - maybe without Nick and Sarah though? Thanks to NetGalley and BooksGoSocial for an advance copy in exchange for my honest review.
Wow! I picked this book because of the reviews, but even they didn’t prepare me for the grandeur of the novel. Freeing a lost love from a painting sounds kinda cheesy, but the detail, the language, the customs, the evil, the love, the consequences presented create an epic well worth reading.