Cover Image: Find Your People

Find Your People

★★★★★ The publisher provided a copy for review
Feel lonely? Have your friends disappeared? Has COVID has sucked away the joy of meeting on a heart level? Feeling like screen time doesn't cut it? Are you dying for new relationships that go beyond hanging out and casual encounters? It's time to read this book!

Relationships are the core of our lives as humans. In her new book, Jenny Allen examines what real friendship means. She exposes what it takes to be a friend and make friendships that are deep, meaningful, and enduring.

If you're committed to being a person who contributes to the wellbeing of others and makes a difference in the world, you can't do it alone. Allen shows the way forward to collaboration, loving others, and being a person who leaves a legacy wherever you go.

Don't miss this one.
Jennie Allen carefully lays out the rationale explaining why it is that we all crave community, even those, like me, who are introverts. She also makes a case for how a lack of community negatively impacts us. Rather than leaving readers to wonder how to go about meeting this need, Allen provides practical methods for doing so. She is very open with sharing her own struggles in creating and maintaining community relationships.

I requested an advanced reader copy of this book as it seemed to link well with both personal and church congregational goals regarding reestablishing relationships on this side of the pandemic. I found the book to align with these goals, and look forward to applying what I've read and recommending the book to others. I am grateful to have received a complimentary copy from WaterBrook via NetGalley without obligation. All opinions expressed here are my own.
I’m not southern. At. All. If I’m ever caught saying, “Y’all,” you can go right ahead and call 9-1-1, because something traumatic has just happened.

But y’all. This book.

I forgot I was reading an advanced copy in order to review it. I couldn't put it down. I underlined, circled, and made notes in the margins. I texted countless passages to my husband (who graciously read and responded to each one).

I can't think of a better book for this current cultural moment.

This book is a practical roadmap for building authentic, meaningful, community in a world where we are dying of loneliness. (Literally. Loneliness is worse for our health than obesity, smoking, lack of access to health care and physical activity.)

Bottom line: Friends won't fall from the sky. Friends are always made. To have deep, true friendships, we must initiate and nourish them ... even when it's uncomfortable or impractical.

If you are part of the 3 out of 5 who feels loneliness on a daily basis, 1) welcome to the club, and 2) read this book. It could change your life just as it's changing mine.

This beautiful book launches today. Thank you, @jennieallen for tossing us this lifesaver.
“I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master’s business. Instead, I have called you friends.” ~ John 15:15

Jennie Allen returns with a new book, Find Your People. Focusing on building community and connections in this lonely world, Jennie opens up the Scriptures and explores relationships in different cultures to set the tone of this book. Full of insightful advice, questions to help you go deeper with friends, and personal testimony of how community has changed Jennie and her family’s lives, this book will awaken your desire to break out of your comfort zone and make friends wherever you go!

“From the moment you were born until you take your last breath, deep, authentic connection is the thing your soul most craves.” ~ Jennie Allen

We were not created to be alone. From the day God made Adam, He knew that man needed a partner. This desire has not changed; however, in an era that teaches us to be independent, community is becoming less about doing life together and serving one another through thick and thin and more about surface-level relationships to fill the void. Yet, are we so disconnected that building community is a thing of the past? Jennie Allen says no, and I couldn’t agree more!

“I want you to not only find your inner circle but to find a village where you can know and serve and to be served and known. I want you to find your people.” ~ Jennie Allen

With depression, anxiety, loneliness, and mental health issues on the rise, it’s evident that the answer to living a content and healthy life isn’t found in isolation. We need each other now more than ever, but how do we find the right people to get intimate with? How do we build trust and relationships when we’re afraid to be vulnerable and often give up after a disagreement? Find Your People challenges believers to let go of fear and past hurt to embrace the people around us who are also crying out for community and relationships.

“You and I need friends who, instead of trying to fix us, help us to fix our eyes more firmly on Jesus.” ~ Jennie Allen

Even though this book felt like it was targeting Americans, I found many points helpful and encouraging. After struggling to build friendships in a country where I don’t speak the language, Find Your People was the perfect book to inspire me to break out of isolation. Friends can be found anywhere, and though your community might not look the way you expected, it doesn’t make it any less significant.

“Friendships take time—a lot of time. A lot of working it out. A lot of showing up. A lot of cleaning out closets. A lot of tears. A lot of laughter. A lot of food. A lot of inconvenience.” ~ Jennie Allen

Jennie Allen’s honest, raw, and uncut confessions allowed me to feel like I was going on this journey with her. No one has all of the answers, so I really appreciated how Jennie opened the book with an admission that she was still learning to implement everything written in Find Your People. Too many people claim to know it all, but Jennie admits her faults and struggles while always bringing readers back to the One who DOES know it all — Yeshua! Of course, I didn’t agree with all of her points — especially a few of her thoughts on small groups. While I think it’s vital that we hold one another accountable and have a group to commune and confide in, sometimes we go too extreme and take the headship from God, bestowing it on a pastor or leader instead. Nevertheless, I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book each morning, and hope it will inspire people around the world to search for depth rather than settling for floating in the shallows (shout out to Michael Todd - click here to watch his sermon).

“Jesus not only provides the means to live a full, thriving life with each other and with Father God, He also modeled how it would look! He chose to come to earth not only to die for our sins but to show us how to live as children of God.” ~ Jennie Allen

Find Your People is just the book we need to read in 2022! As Covid restrictions decrease and the world starts to open up again, it’s time to shine the light of Yeshua into the world and be proactive in reaching out to those around us. I love what Jennie Allen writes, “Remember, the enemy wants to shut you down, make you afraid to initiate, cause you to not prioritize the people right in front of you. He wants us to live surrounded by people but never deeply connected to them, so we don’t change, we don’t grow, we don’t even fully live—and we mostly end up stuck in self-pity about how we don’t have any friends when dozens of people in front of us certainly would welcome someone reaching out to them at the very least.”

So, let’s stop being the people who wave at their neighbors but never take a few minutes to get to know them, ending friendships over the slightest disagreements, or isolating ourselves because we fear getting hurt again.

It’s time we break the carnal desire to do things ourselves. It’s time to get out there. It’s time to FIND YOUR PEOPLE!

“God’s idea of community is deep, intentional, day-in and day-out connection, loving at all times, bearing with one another, sticking closer than siblings, naming every sin, running our races together, encouraging each other as long as it is called today.” ~ Jennie Allen

*Thank you, NetGalley and the publisher, for providing me with a pre-release copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are entirely my own!*
Jennie Allen is one of my favorite authors. She talks with you like a friend and is so encouraging. Find Your People explains how we were meant to live in community, as Jesus did. Jennie explains the importance of both a village and an inner circle. As an introvert, I struggle with approaching people. Jennie has concrete strategies for this! Thanks, Jennie!
Find a highlighter. Read this book, and then go “Find Your People”….Even if you already have your people, Jennie provides great insight into what it looks like to really invest in your relationships - how to battle the difficult situations, how to authentically support one another, how to live life alongside your friends with vulnerability, humility, and compassion. Life is meant to be lived in community. It’s maybe one of the greatest gifts we have!
Jennie Allen is often considered a game changer in terms of Christian living. If it is possible, she has leveled up her A game in 'Find Your People'. By presenting practical ways to walk out deepening friendships and potential relationships, Allen links arms with readers, guiding them in how to navigate in person re-engagement within their (post-Pandemic) communities. While told from a faith-based perspective, many examples could offer solace to non-Christians as well. For anyone searching for who their friends are and evaluating the kind of friend they, themselves, want to be, 'Find Your People' cannot be missed
Find Your People is a delightful book that I will read again and again! Jennie Allen validates those feelings of loneliness you may have and encourages you with very hands-on practical help to find your community while revealing her journey and struggle in this area.

This book is a must-read if you want to find and deepen friendships in your life!

Two quotes I enjoyed:

“I’d rather live heart first than guarded, even if that means I bleed more.”

(Quoting Tim Keller) “Our sin is worse than we imagine. And the grace of God is bigger and better than we can imagine. Accepting both truths sets us free.”
Find Your People is an important book on pursuing friendship and community as Chrisitians. Something I found especially helpful is the discussion on vulnerability in friendship. I’ve read Jennie Allen’s books before, and I always appreciate her candor in sharing her experiences in friendship in community. As someone who is preparing to graduate from college and move to another state where I know almost no one, it was refreshing and encouraging to read about the necessity of making new friends who live near you while maintaining long-distance and long-term friendships. I would recommend this book to almost anyone, and will go back and reread. A quote I really enjoyed was “You will never have friends unless you are willing to consistently initiate.”
Thank you to NetGalley for providing this ARC. I can’t wait to come back to this one!
Find Your People is the book we all need after 2020! Jennie's discussion about community and why we it's necessary hit home for me in so many ways. Not only did it help me re-evaluate how I engage with my current friendships and community but it also gave me practical tips on how to help expand my community into new areas of my life. I would recommend this book to anyone who is looking to build, strengthen, or renew their current friendships and community.
From the first page, I knew that Find Your People was going to change my life. I long for deep, connected relationships, but I didn't see that those potential relationships were all around me. Jennie has challenged me to go deep, even when it is awkward. What I have found is that the women in my circles are craving connection as much as I am. Thank you, Jennie Allen, for this book!
Have you ever felt that God places certain things in your path for you, AND when you needed them the most? This book is coming at a time in my life, as I am sure many others, are feeling secluded, hopeless, and lonely. I have always been a fan of Jennie Allen and have done numerous bible studies of hers, so I knew the high quality I would be getting when I chose to read this book. But I had no idea what God had planned for me with this one. Find Your People has practical challenges to live in community that are not only game changers, but life changers. Your best life is yet to come, and Jennie shows us the way to build community, and fulfill our hearts desires for true friendship. There is no doubt in my mind that by reading this and acting on what I have learned, I will become what God has planned for me to be, CONNECTED. Buy, read, and put into action what you learn. You will not be disappointed.
After completing a couple of Jennie’s other books, I was left with a deep desire to find “My Tribe” and to connect with other people in a deep and meaningful way.  I was ready to jump into a deeper relationship, but the people I had surrounded myself with didn’t seem all that interested.  Who were my people? How would I identify and then nurture the friendship to get to the place I long to be?
Enter the book…. Find Your People!  Jennie has done it again. Very practical information on WHY we need people, WHERE to go to find those people, WHAT questions to ask, WHEN to dive deep, WHO our best friend is, and ultimately HOW to go about the whole process.
She identifies the different types of people we need in our lives, as we are all unique and offer different strengths and and have different weaknesses.  We were not made to do life alone.  We need our community and our tribe… we need our people!
Since I finished reading the book, I have been looking at people differently.  I see possibilities everywhere and realize that I have to step out and take the initiative.  In a society which treats being independent as the pinnacle of success, we have lost the art of being in community and being a friend.  It’s time to change that!
There are so many wonderful “nuggets” of truth in the book.  One that resonated with me is the following - “Choose friends who have the potential to make you better. Then allow them to do just that.”
No hesitation - buy the book. Read it. And… Find Your People.
Jenny consistently targets issues which can sideswipe Christian growth. Particularly in this book, she targets a need that has been further intensified in the post Covid American church. Her writing is always straightforward, energetic, and practical. This book is no exception. I recommend reading this for those who want to deepen relationships, spur one another on to love and good deeds, and to those desperately in need of finding a true Christian community. It’s a quick read, yet recommends a life pattern change well worth the investment.
“Find Your People” by Jennie Allen could not have come at a more perfect time. During this pandemic, we have found ourselves more isolated than ever; what a great time to take stock of your relationships, what you want in relationships, and how to improve them! Allen tackles why American culture tends towards doing life alone and what we can do to fight against it.

Anyone else feel like making friends as an adult is the hardest? As someone who has to move a lot, picking up everything and restarting over and over again can make it hard to find your people. That’s why when I saw this book I knew I had to pick it up.

Allen’s writing is fun and engaging, laced with honest stories from her own life and biblical scriptures. Every one of her books feels like a coffee shop conversation and this one is no exception. As Allen shares her thoughts, she also gives practical steps to take towards better and more authentic friendships that are straightforward and easy. (Okay, some of them are harder than others).

In the end, I gave this book 4 stars. It was interesting and helpful, a great read for anyone looking to create genuine and authentic friendships.

Thanks to NetGalley and WaterBrook for the ARC in exchange for my honest review!
A nice acknowledgement of the importance of true community, and how challenging it can be to create one as a busy adult.
Jennie Allen’s book does a good job inviting its reader to break down walls of past experience and create new foundations. I didn’t find all suggestions practical for myself, yet I plan to put some into action. An engaging, non-judgmental read.
Thanks to NetGalley and WaterBrook & Multnomah for access to this ARC.
This book truly is an invitation to break down walls, get uncomfortable and reevaluate what community looks like to you. Jennie Allen does an INCREDIBLE job in this book bringing you along in her journey of community while offering advice for those searching for authentic community and bringing it all back to scripture. This book would be such a good study especially to set the tone for a small group!
Growing up into an adult, working, living life is busy. Throw in a global pandemic and I have definitely found myself not having the same type of community that I have had in the past. This book has lots of great thoughts on community and why it is important to have in your life and then tips on how to improve the community you do have as well as create new communities.
This book is superbly written! Jenni Allen has such a way with expressing her heart and teaching God's word. Find Your People is a must read for everyone. It is so true that we all need people...even if we think we don't. This book will help you discover the way God truly made us to be and how He intended us to live...in community with each other, with Himself at the center of it all. Thank you so much for your discipleship Jennie!
Practical advice and pointers to building healthy relationships. The author shares her struggles of finding and maintaining friends. She is very honest and open about her life. An encouraging book for lonely people.