Cover Image: Bi

Bi

I was so pleasantly surprised by this book -- Shaw covers a very broad range of disciplines and research covering bi+ sexualities and does so in a way that sucked me in pretty fast. They write in a way that is accessible and gives just the right about of detail. It's also clear that they are thoughtful in their approach, and I appreciate how seamlessly they incorporate peer-reviewed research into this book. I dare say it is a must-read for those studying queer history/theory or human sexuality, and I definitely have plans to incorporate chapters of it into future courses.
Definitely not the typical book I read, but definitely a very interesting and informing. Loved to see Bisexuality history in an entire book and learning lots about myself too. Not the kind of book you binge in a week, but would recommend to anyone who wants to know more LGBTQ+ history.
I had not heard of this book before finding it on Netgalley randomly, but I am so glad I found it! The book covers an area of research and information that I feel is not written on enough. The information presented was very informative and I learned so much!

This year I have been reading a lot more non-fiction and I definitely think this may be my favorite one I have read. The formatting was incredible. I love that the information was broken into manageable sections under a broader topic. This made it more of an accessible read for someone who does not read a lot of nonfiction. I think that anyone interested in bisexuality or its history would easily be able to read the information presented in this book.

My only qualm is that I wish the book was longer and I don't think that is a bad thing! I just wanted more! I wanted to learn more and feel even more seen than I already did. I think this stems from a lack of easily accessible information on the topic, but Bi was just enough to take the edge of the craving.

I think this book should be required reading for everyone! Thank you to Netgalley for providing me with an arc!
This book is extremely validating for those in the bisexual community. It hammers home the fact that bisexuality is NORMAL, and calls into question the heteronormative world-view. It’s an important read for anyone inside or outside of the queer community. It helps you to understand where exactly bisexual people are coming from, and who wouldn’t want to better understand and support the people around them.

The book is a good mix between the author’s personal experience and scientific research. This helped to keep me interested while I was reading the book instead of being overwhelmed by scientific jargon. Whether you come from a scientific or psychology background, this book is extremely accessible.

Coming from a scientific background myself, I can honestly say that this one of the most well-researched nonfiction books that I have ever read. Shaw included a list of references at the end of every chapter as well as in-text citations throughout the book. This allows for further reading if you find a topic that interests you personally.

The book touched on a myriad of important topics, some of which I hadn’t even known existed before reading this book. On the scientific side, figures like the Kinsey Scale and Klein Grid were explained. Both of which are useful frameworks for understanding human sexuality. Another thing I liked about the book was that the author was honest about her personal background. Before talking about topics she hadn’t personally experienced, she mentioned that she hadn’t experienced these issues but backed up the topic with rigorous scientific research. This comes into play with topics such a intersectionality in the bisexual community, which is an extremely important topic. This explains how multiple factors can impact the discrimination someone may face throughout their life, and is important when we consider the experiences of individual bisexual people.

Shaw also talked about bi-phobia and bi-erasure. While these topics often lead to sad conclusions about the state of the world and the close-mindedness of the people within it, it is important to mention in order to gain a full understanding of bisexuality. The way society has viewed bisexuality throughout time is mentioned, and the need for bisexual specific spaces is highlighted.

Something that I found particularly validating was the mention of bisexual behavior throughout history and in nature. Shaw talks about the bisexual behavior of multiple different species, and how this may be advantageous evolutionarily. She mentions that sexuality is a human construct that has just recently became a part of personal identity. This is backed up by mentions of bisexual behavior in ancient societies that was not viewed as anything different than “normal”.

Overall, this book needed to be written, it filled a hole in literature that had not been previously talked about individually and it did so in a thorough, respectful, and scientific manner.

I would recommend this to: Anyone looking to become more educated on bisexuality.
I’m not always a fan of nonfiction books, but this one was too interesting to put down. Like a few other reviews have said, this book is quite dense in the beginning, but it does really pull you in. Julia Shaw obviously did a lot of research and it shows. I would 100% recommend Bi, I think it could be a great reference for all kinds of people both in and outside of the LGBTQIA community.
This was a very insightful read about queer theory and what it means to be bisexual in the current day. The author identifies as bisexual and gives very well written, intimate, and poignant details.

Since this is a nonfiction piece, I found that it was a little slow and dense, especially at the beginning, but lightened throughout the book! I highly recommend this book to those who aren’t as familiar with LGBT+ culture; as a sapphic woman, I felt as though there wasn’t that much that I gained from this, but if you are straight this may be more educational.
This book is unlike what I typically read. Not because of the topic or genre, but rather from the topic and genre together. I prefer to read fictional stories with LGBTQ+ rep, versus from an educational, Nonfiction perspective. But I am so glad that I decided to pick up this book!

While I am not exactly out with my bisexuality, I wouldn't say I'm closeted. (If you know me and are reading this, and I haven't told you yet --- SURPRISE!) So my review comes from a baby bi's perspective. The book tackles so many difficult topics about what it means (and doesn't mean) to be bisexual... it ranges in topics of the history of bisexuality being studied, where bisexuality can be found in nature, the difficulties of coming out and bi-erasure, and political steps forward (and backwards) of various countries around the world. The book is a wealth of knowledge, and Julia Shaw did a fantastic job with the information she puts forth.

It's not a quick read by any means, and it's not one to devour in a weekend. Rather, it's a book to read at a slower pace, too really appreciate the information within.
I love reading about queer theory, and as a bi person I feel like bisexuals are often left out of it! I really enjoyed reading this book about all things bi--I didn't learn anything new as I've been pretty active in the community for years, but somebody at a more beginners level will DEFINITELY benefit. Loved!
Dr. Shaw is a criminal psychologist and is also vocally bisexual. This book is her passion project. I’m happy to report that it is a well-researched book- with links and citations at the end of every chapter!  This book touches on LGBTQIA+ history, violence, and oppression but highlights the invisibility and isolation specifically experienced in bisexual realm.  I can see where this would be a solid reference for the bisexual community — which I believe was part of the intention of writing it. Julia Shaw is the real deal.
Bi: The Hidden Culture, History, and Science of Bisexuality is an impeccably researched and validating book. Historically, bi people are too often questioned and doubted, asked to prove beyond reason that they are real. To those who struggle with this discrimination and feelings of invalidity, this book can only be a balm. This is an informative and engaging read for those seeking to learn more, regardless of their orientation. I can’t wait to get a hard copy for my shelves and I’m already planning to re-read this excellent book. Bi: The Hidden Culture, History, and Science of Bisexuality releases on June 28, 2022. Thank you so much to Julia Shaw, Abrams Books, and Netgalley for a free ARC in exchange for an honest review.
I wanted to love this book, but I could not get into it. I think the author tried too hard. Perhaps it was just not for me.
Okay so I never read nonfiction. When I do I would not like to rate it because I feel what is weird since it’s real life and not fiction. Just my personal thoughts and reasons. That’s why it’s 3 star. It’s in the middle.
One of my goals is to read more nonfiction this year. I also want to learn more about bisexuality for personal reasons. I found this book very powering and it spoke to me on an emotional level. I loved learning about the history and the authors personal aspects on her bisexuality. I feel like this was very informative and interesting.
This book was intriguing but the level of information was for someone who had no background on the subject. As a bi person myself, it wasn’t giving me any new insight.
It starts off slow and kind of dense, but once the action begins, it's hard to resist the story as it drives forward. It reads as a true epic, one that makes you feel the world really has been reshaped as you read it. Would recommend.
Thank you to NetGalley and Abrams Press for an advanced readers copy in exchange for an honest review.

Why yes, I would like more bi visibility, please!

Shaw's book on bisexuality shines a light on everything from the etymology of sexualities as a whole and the science behind things like the Kinsey Scale and Klein Grid to the author's personal experiences with her sexual awakening. I would categorize this almost as half memoir and half scientific nonfiction.

The entire book's contents are very well-researched with each chapter ending with a list of references, which is useful because there were some topics I wanted to delve into a bit deeper and it gave me a great starting point. But Shaw includes enough of her own experiences with sexuality and the culture of sexuality.

What I really loved about this book is that it's so inclusive of all sexualities. For every data point regarding bisexuality, there is further research into how that data point connects to or compares to other sexualities. There was a lot in this book about bi erasure and how society views bisexuality. These are things that are SO important and SO overlooked.

Reading this book felt so validating. I can only hope it gets into the hands of people who need to read it the most. Everyone who reads this book stands to learn something, regardless of sexuality and I appreciate that so much. At times the level of thoroughness can get to be a lot, but that only speaks to Shaw's passion about the subject which shines clearly through on each page.

4.5 stars rounded up to 5.
It was so great to see the representation in this book. I would recommend this book to older students who are struggling or questioning their identities. I think that it was a refreshing take on bisexuality and am excited for the book's release!
I remember growing up in a world where people would regularly scoff when they heard someone identifying as bisexual. "That's not real" they'd say, or, "you're just gay and in denial." I'm not personally bi but so many of my friends had to endure these invalidating comments for much of their lives. Books like this go a long way in breaking down the stigma and educating the public. I'm glad it exists.
Loved loved loved this book.  Can't wait to own a copy of this book.  As a newly figured out Bi woman who is a science nerd, this book feels like it was written personally for me.
Diving into books on LGBTQ+ history can sometimes feel overwhelming. Where do I start? What should I already know? How do I narrow down to my specific interests? This book is incredibly helpful because it answers a lot of those questions for you. I found the text to be accessible, modern, and well-researched. It gives just enough history to orient the reader and provide context without becoming dull. The text also highlights many issues specific to the bi community, which seems difficult to find. Some sections address tough topics, but the author frames them well and the reader is made aware of what’s coming. This is a useful and easy to read text that should be widely read by those inside and outside the bisexual community.

Thanks to NetGalley and Abrams for this eARC
This book was very informative and presented in a way that is easy to digest. I definitely think this is a great book to read for those who are trying to get a better understanding of what bisexuality is and its history.